Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

nachos posted:

Keep free throws but shoot them all at the end of the game penalty kick style

This would actually be awesome - way more exciting than the current free throw system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Red Rox posted:

This would actually be awesome - way more exciting than the current free throw system.

Not worth it to make a game winning shot impossible (or highly unlikely. I guess one could put you so far ahead that the other team’s tally of free throws can’t win it for them but that’s not exciting)

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
A free throw shoot out after 2 tied overtimes? One shot for each player including the bench. Sudden death rules.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
free throws should be at the end of the game and at the other team, ala dodgeball

1 point per hit

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I say this not as a fan of the worst free throw shooting team, but just a normal basketball fan, no bias of any kind - everybody clears out and the fouled player has a 6 second shot clock to go 1v1 against the offending player.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

The Maestro posted:

I say this not as a fan of the worst free throw shooting team, but just a normal basketball fan, no bias of any kind - everybody clears out and the fouled player has a 6 second shot clock to go 1v1 against the offending player.

This, with dunks counting double.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What happens if he gets fouled in the 1 on 1

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If you commit a shooting foul, if your opponent makes a free throw, in addition to their point, they take possession of all of your made free throws for the game, as well as any captured free throws you took off them or their teammates.

If they miss a free throw, all of their captured free throws go back to their original owners.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Pin the tail on the donkey rules. Before every free throw, you get blindfolded and spin around 3 times.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The coolest part about the fouls being deferred later is the game would just continue at normal pace and players wouldn't have a stoppage to meltdown to the refs

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/worldwidewob/status/1749211963962667165?s=46

lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1749199659434750115?s=20

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Hope he enjoys Washington because he might be there a while

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I love that he’ll never not understand

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1749196223205020070?s=20

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

going to the warriors isn't why though. if he had stayed in OKC he still wouldn't be. lebron and jordan are in truly rarified air. he's up there though dude is a killer

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ammanas posted:

going to the warriors isn't why though. if he had stayed in OKC he still wouldn't be. lebron and jordan are in truly rarified air. he's up there though dude is a killer

The circumstances around how he got his rings and ended up in GS definitely matter, I think. His first two years in Golden State they were probably the best team of all time, and he was their best player, and I think absent the fluky way it happened and the way it goes against common impressions of sports honor or whatever the best player on the best team of all time probably gets at least nominal consideration as a GOAT candidate.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im also looking for free money

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean Durant just misses way too many games

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i can think of something he hasnt done: he hasnt led a team to playoff success

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

His first two years in Golden State they were probably the best team of all time

Oh brudder

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ammanas posted:

yeah imo he's better than larry bird for example, he is one of the greatest ever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Panzeh posted:

yeah imo he's better than larry bird for example, he is one of the greatest ever

i dont think so. hes never had as much of a winning impact as someone like bird

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Finally got around to watching the game tonight after dinner and football and, Kristaps, thank you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don’t do cross era but Durant is definitely one of the best in this one.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If Larry bird were on twitter he’d be talking poo poo to random people for hours just like Durant

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nachos posted:

If Larry bird were on twitter he’d be talking poo poo to random people for hours just like Durant

larry bird is on twitter. hes literally the mascot

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if they had twitter in the 90s Nike would have had to have a full time employee dedicated to keeping Jordan off it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I took this as a conversation about Larry bird being dead and then I was like wow God really let him reach 2024 drat. Bless.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
On one hand KD is obviously one of the best players ever.

Counterpoint:
- had to jump to historically good team to win finals
- wanted people to call him The Servant over objectively better nicknames
- Twitter burners
- made nets pay washed deandre Jordon over Jarret Allen

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Zach Lowe calling Bill Simmons the "steward of basketball history" 🤢 glad these white boys came to a consensus
Also stop referencing Harry Potter you bizarre beep boop.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

KD is obviously not the best player of his era so it’s impossible for him to be GOAT. Sorry, fartman.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
KD being obsessive about posting and Twitter is not in fact a "counterpoint"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Zach Lowe calling Bill Simmons the "steward of basketball history" 🤢 glad these white boys came to a consensus
Also stop referencing Harry Potter you bizarre beep boop.

Bill Simmons was always Boston homer junk.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lowe’s always had a soft spot for Simmons but ESPN broke his brain and he had soft spots for all the espn personalities now

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dr.Radical posted:

Oh brudder

hey man i don't like them at all but they benefitted from an absurd series of circumstances to build a ludicrously stacked team in the most talented era of NBA ball by far

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Lowe’s always had a soft spot for Simmons but ESPN broke his brain and he had soft spots for all the espn personalities now

Hearing him gush about the takes of Kendrick Perkins . . . my man no one is making you do that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Putting KD on that top tier right below Era defining guys like Jordan, LeBron, KAJ and Wilt seems to make sense to me. I think he's probably right in there with Magic, Bird, Curry...

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I feel like if KD didn't get a ring, he'd be this generation's Charles Barkley.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

DeimosRising posted:

The circumstances around how he got his rings and ended up in GS definitely matter, I think. His first two years in Golden State they were probably the best team of all time, and he was their best player, and I think absent the fluky way it happened and the way it goes against common impressions of sports honor or whatever the best player on the best team of all time probably gets at least nominal consideration as a GOAT candidate.

I think the bolded is very debatable. All the on-off metrics show the Warriors were consistently a better team with Steph on/Durant off than Durant On/Steph off, both regular season and playoffs. And you have three years of basically the same roster, so it's a pretty big sample as opposed to a lot of these tracking stats of championship teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Lockback posted:

Putting KD on that top tier right below Era defining guys like Jordan, LeBron, KAJ and Wilt seems to make sense to me. I think he's probably right in there with Magic, Bird, Curry...

u dont think magic and bird are "era defining" ?