Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

what's the advantage of having the appearance of a PMC? other PMCs might not want to kill you as often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

what's the advantage of having the appearance of a PMC? other PMCs might not want to kill you as often?

you're running good gear instead of an IDEA rig and a pompon hat

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
You also will appear to your team at a glance that you aren't a random bullshit player scav that suddenly snuck behind the team. Maybe once the PMC karma thing comes, it also provides a way of identifying yourself to those who also are of your own faction.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

when i'm scavving and i see another player i just voiceline. if they dont back and act squirrelly i treat them as hostile

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Player scavving pre-karma was way more fun. Just blast anything that looks like human (or just blast anything, why not). None of this weird e-honor “nooooo you can’t kill a player scav you’ll lose 0.1 karma!!!!” stuff.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yep, better before karma, better before VOIP.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Scavving is an incredibly brilliant system for convincing players to run around as gunshy loot pinatas for other people to shoot. If you could only play pmc i'd bet that tarkov would overall have only 10-20% as many raids queued.

I'm not saying that to be disdainful, I think it's really good for the game that pulling 250k (or several times more once you have an idea what you're doing) should be basically as simple as clicking scav, filling your bags and then leaving. Ruble acquisition has to be pretty easy if you want to encourage people to do anything other than play super conservatively.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 20, 2024

tjones
May 13, 2005
Scaving is awesome, the karma system is cool, and max scav rank is kinda nutty and useful. Scav shenanigans have always been a big highlight in the seasons I've played regularly.

People upset they are being shot at in a PVP game, regardless of scav or not, are weirdos. The unknown of whether or not you should shoot someone makes the game exciting.

VoIP has been a great addition IMO, and I've had a small fraction of negative interactions compared to every other competitive game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

have to agree scavving is godlike

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

always remember to check corpses on your way out of an uneventful scav run

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Scavving before karma was way more fun because you'd end up in weird fights where you both had 10 round mags and couldn't shoot straight. More than a couple of times I had to bonk a guy with a shovel

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

There's invisible claymores in some buildings in Ground Zero. Why? Because BSG hates you and wants you to suffer.

Embrace the suck.

I got a ”Welcome to Tarkov” achievement from my first claymore in a tiny room on Ground Zero. Someone pointed out there are multiple warning texts before and heh he was right.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

how are side mounted sights this wipe? I know the prior meta was a 1x - 4x scope with a tilted red dot, did recoil make it less useful?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

how are side mounted sights this wipe? I know the prior meta was a 1x - 4x scope with a tilted red dot, did recoil make it less useful?

Recoil rework and some changes to how you meld up to scopes means that generally, you retain a passable sight picture even on magnified scopes while ripping off whole magazines so the use case for canted sights does seem narrowed if you ask me

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

so i'm able to successfully extract with a scav fairly consistently now but jesus christ whenever i play a match as PMC i'm dead within the first minute. what can i do to get better at not dying as a pmc? is it mostly a matter of memorizing the spawns and avoiding them?

e: only playing on woods right now

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 21, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Just keep playing. The hard part of PMC runs imo is the first 5 mins where you are most likely to encounter other players coming out of spawn. The only way to learn this is to get continuously owned in the first 5 minutes and hope that each time you do you retain just enough knowledge that next time you’re in that spawn you can go “one time I spawned here and got blasted from over there, I will be cautious of that.” It’s honestly impressive how uncomfortable dying is in this game and how well your brain can remember all the little instances of getting owned just enough to try to avoid them next time.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Ideally, pick a direction to move towards and use the contours of terrain to mask your movements. Also, don't be afraid to run when you have to move on open ground.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man these pscavs are nasty to scavs. Like 9/10 of times I die as a scav, I die to pscavs :D They just feel no mercy. I don't care too much, but of course it would be nice if I "could" shoot them without a penalty...

Maybe every 2nd pscav is friendly, and the other guys just smoke my rear end. It would be nice if you got at least scav rep if you die to a pscav as a scav...

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Mae posted:

Scavving before karma was way more fun because you'd end up in weird fights where you both had 10 round mags and couldn't shoot straight. More than a couple of times I had to bonk a guy with a shovel

I agree the scav game is soft now. Previously every scav raid in factory was a death match where you tried to loot a few things, kill a couple scavs, and extract before getting popped. Now many of the raids are run around the factory looking for scraps with no shooting before extracting.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I just think it’s stupid a pscav needs to do damage to you before you can kill them without losing a ton of rep. Like if I have a pilgrim and some dude is clearly coming up to me and lining up a 1 shot kill headshot, if I try to kill him first I get screwed by the rep lol.

I never played before this wipe, but yeah from what I see scav PvP is super rare because of this.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

scav karma isn't real and can't hurt you. just shoot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

scav karma is based. pmc karma is going to filter you all.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

scav karma isn't real and can't hurt you. just shoot

I thought if you tank your scav karma low enough you become KOS to the bots?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

yeah, and your scav timer apparently gets really long so you can't do it as often

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Stux posted:

scav karma is based. pmc karma is going to filter you all.

I can't wait for the community reaction to PMC karma, it's going to be wonderful.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
there's zero chance they actually follow through on that one, it would kill the game barring some absolutely massive changes to how the game works to make it not feel horrible

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm not complaining too much. I'm complaining more about this. I run out of empire, then I teleport back, my weapon is shooting, then I'm dead to head, eyes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPe4-0qH4I&t=41s

What is this crap. I guess the netcode is not too hot.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
looks like the server was dying, that's some brutal desync

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I can't wait for the community reaction to PMC karma, it's going to be wonderful.

I mean it's probably going to ruin the game if implemented in the way they've talked about it previously lol.

I totally understand the role that player scavs fill in the game but the main issue with the current implementation is that they spawn into the raid way too early on some maps, Interchange and Reserve in particular. In a game where the entire point is a hardcore experience where you have to risk money and gear in order to complete tasks and get better loot, why are several people allowed to join the map 10 minutes into the raid without risking anything? Seems like that runs counter to the entire philosophy of the game.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Ihmemies posted:

I'm not complaining too much. I'm complaining more about this. I run out of empire, then I teleport back, my weapon is shooting, then I'm dead to head, eyes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPe4-0qH4I&t=41s

What is this crap. I guess the netcode is not too hot.

There's been some pretty blatant vacuum hacks lately that cause everyone on the server to get stuck in place like that while it teleports the cheater around the map to steal all the items. Could be hacking or lovely net code lmao

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

On the other hand pscavs are a usually pushovers for pmc's so I don't see the issue really. I have died only to pmc's so far as a pmc, not pscavs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's zero chance they actually follow through on that one, it would kill the game barring some absolutely massive changes to how the game works to make it not feel horrible

good. theyve got your money anyway. let it ride

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Clap posted:

I mean it's probably going to ruin the game if implemented in the way they've talked about it previously lol.

I totally understand the role that player scavs fill in the game but the main issue with the current implementation is that they spawn into the raid way too early on some maps, Interchange and Reserve in particular. In a game where the entire point is a hardcore experience where you have to risk money and gear in order to complete tasks and get better loot, why are several people allowed to join the map 10 minutes into the raid without risking anything? Seems like that runs counter to the entire philosophy of the game.

its only going to ruin the game for a specific subset of people. and i cannot wait to see them driven out like rats to the river.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
eft reddit would completely melt down, which would be indistinguishable from eft reddit the rest of the time

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
My first PMC kill as a scav was a dude with class 5 armor and a sig spear, and a whole bunch of incredible loot lol. I one shot him with my mp133, he was still in the factory raid with 6 minutes left t trying to farm scavs who went into the office window room so lol gently caress him. I just close my eyes and think about looting that body when this game is putting me thru hell.

That SPEAR is still sitting in my stash never used lmao. I really should just use it one of these raids otherwise what’s the point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its your duty to sell all expensive gear to remove it from the game

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Clap posted:

how so? obviously there's a balance to be struck because it's no good if pscavs hoover up all the loot before you can get to it like the hatchlings of yore, but the injection of pvp-disadvantaged late joiners is a way to up the risk (and later-raid interest/unpredictability) for PMCs who are meaningfully gambling with that gear, and it absolutely would seem to make sense/follow the philosophy of the game to insert them at a point where they exert meaningful influence on PMC behavior (among other things - by appearing before most PMCs vacate the map, and providing incentive for PMCs to move faster to secure loot and correspondingly make noise + get into pvp)

e:

Stux posted:

its your duty to sell all expensive gear to remove it from the game

or bust it out for juiced runs where you've already mentally pre-committed to losing it all when you eat scav buckshot to the face or w/e

sometimes you don't and you end up pleasantly surprised!

but yeah, expensive gear you're afraid to use is just hurting you by taking up hideout space

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 22, 2024

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I got a question about a scav spawn. I spawned at Old Gas in Customs and like 3 minutes in, I killed a scav sneaking up behind marked in the red X on the map. This had to be a player scav right?

https://imgur.com/G8bqnOi

He tried to turn around and run away after I blasted him. I assumed because his gun jammed or something (didn't check). Or that he was actually a bot? I dunno.

Seemed weird for any scav to be there that early in the raid.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's actually required that you lose the best gear to the worst equipped player with a .5 kd and conversely that you somehow kill some juiced out streamer with the worst gear and the stupidest plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man that HDD quest in Ground Zero is annoying. I have been to the room N times, even got the disk once, but never got out alive with PMC. When I go as scav no one is there, when I'm with PMC it's a loving pain to even get there, not to talk about getting out. Weird.