Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Skyward Sword did at least have something resembling proper Zelda dungeons (which Fi constantly gave away the solutions to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Skyward Sword did at least have something resembling proper Zelda dungeons (which Fi constantly gave away the solutions to).

Fun to imagine the opposite

"Hey! I have no idea what's happening!"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyward Swords dungeons were really good imo, even with Fi. The puzzles were solid and the environments/vibes were great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Benagain posted:

Fun to imagine the opposite

"Hey! I have no idea what's happening!"

Isnt that the owl from kings quest

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tunicate posted:

Isnt that the owl from kings quest

the owl can successfully identify poisonous snakes

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finished the four temples and then followed the quests for the fifth sage and now I have loving dumb robot following me around and I have to go on an adventure with it in the Depths to find the next temple. This thing moves slow to ride and attacks slow for next to no damage. Does this get better? When can I turn it off and never use it again?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

I finished the four temples and then followed the quests for the fifth sage and now I have loving dumb robot following me around and I have to go on an adventure with it in the Depths to find the next temple. This thing moves slow to ride and attacks slow for next to no damage. Does this get better? When can I turn it off and never use it again?

You can turn it off just like any of the other sages- go to your special items menu and click on it's gem icon.

No it doesn't get better. It's good for walking across lava and gloom though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wildtortilla posted:

I was disappointed with that too and basically just ran ahead to do whatever the quest wanted while it caught up on its own time. Never ended up using it for much of anything, I guess it's good for lava traversal if you need that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s too bad it’s so useless because Link piloting an actual useful mech would be badass

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Bummer

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s too bad it’s so useless because Link piloting an actual useful mech would be badass

I'll be honest when it was first shown in the final trailer I thought it was going to be like 15 meters tall. :(

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's also useful for mining and breaking things open, since its durability-free unfused hands can shatter about anything. For harder rock you can attach crushing stuff to it like horriblin horns, cannons, or whatever stuff you happen across as you go. It's utility focused, not a big damage dealer but I found that utility useful enough that I never turned it off.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah it’s probably the worst companion, which sounds impossible when you hear the sales patch for a rideable weapons platform mech. My son enjoys riding it off sky islands and then jumping off, watching it plummet 50,000 feet into someone’s back yard from the safety of his paraglider

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Jumping off it triggers bullettime so being a walking sentient cliff edge already puts it ahead of most of the sages aside from birb

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I turned it off immediately and never regretted it

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Definitely better in theory than in execution. Maybe if weapon durability was turned off for whatever you attach, you only lose the item if you swap it for something new? Idk

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Perfect Potato posted:

Jumping off it triggers bullettime so being a walking sentient cliff edge already puts it ahead of most of the sages aside from birb

Oh yeah this is huge.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I also enjoyed attached a shock and ice emitter to its hands. It gave the thing some combat utility, in that it would randomly stun an enemy or two every once in a while.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You can attach a fan to its back and it will run faster :3:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Docjowles posted:

My son enjoys riding it off sky islands and then jumping off, watching it plummet 50,000 feet into someone’s back yard from the safety of his paraglider

Your son rules lmao

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Definitely better in theory than in execution. Maybe if weapon durability was turned off for whatever you attach, you only lose the item if you swap it for something new? Idk

Yeah the customizable assistant mech was a really cool concept that just fell flat. The boss fight was cool though.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Finally beat the game after starting in May. Overall had a great time but probably wasn’t as novel as BOTW. Final boss was super fun and way harder than I thought it’d be.

Had a question though: in the post credits cutscene, what’s with the weird pause the sages give when reciting their vow to Zelda? Is it something that doesn’t translate from Japanese?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah the customizable assistant mech was a really cool concept that just fell flat. The boss fight was cool though.

The fight was so goddam goofy, I was laughing my rear end off at the concept

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the respawn rate on items from the flying dragons

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the respawn rate on items from the flying dragons

10 minutes real time. If you're farming specific parts, it'll probably be best to set up on the dragon's back, get the bit you need, then go do something else for 9 minutes. Just make sure that you also pay attention to when the dragons switch between the surface and the depths, or you'll likely fall off. Alternatively, if you're farming all of them, find a map of their routes, then keep traveling between them to help work down those timers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A new 2D Zelda clone just dropped, Saga of the Moon Priestess. I haven't played much, but it's going for the GBC aesthetic pretty much to a fault, which I love:

It's already pretty cheap from the start, but under $5 with the launch discount. I've played a ways into the tutorial dungeon and it seems fun so far. My main complaint is that your starter weapon feels very Zelda 1-esque, in that it stabs straight forward rather than swinging to hit enemies that are further off to your side. That's a bit aggravating, and the movement feels a bit slow, but I'm still looking forward to playing more.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So I'm doing A Call from the Depths and In pretty sure the rocks just disappear when I drop them down the chasm

What am I missing?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So I'm doing A Call from the Depths and In pretty sure the rocks just disappear when I drop them down the chasm

What am I missing?

You aren't missing anything, sometimes the rocks genuinely do just disappear, it's a bug I think

Are you dropping all the rocks down all the chasms in one go, and then going down yourself to corral them all at once? Because the way to reduce the odds of the rocks just despawning is to collect them into the big statue guy one at a time

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

neogeo0823 posted:

10 minutes real time. If you're farming specific parts, it'll probably be best to set up on the dragon's back, get the bit you need, then go do something else for 9 minutes. Just make sure that you also pay attention to when the dragons switch between the surface and the depths, or you'll likely fall off. Alternatively, if you're farming all of them, find a map of their routes, then keep traveling between them to help work down those timers.

The spines on the backs of the dragons are climbable. As a result, you're almost certain not to fall off if you're hanging there when they visit/leave the depths.

I basically rode each of the dragons for a full circuit while doing other things to get their entire trace on my Hero's path. Didn't even have full unshockability when doing it with Naydra, just unequipped all my metal items , and didn't get hit by any of the sparks while hanging out near the head.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Asterite34 posted:

You aren't missing anything, sometimes the rocks genuinely do just disappear, it's a bug I think

Are you dropping all the rocks down all the chasms in one go, and then going down yourself to corral them all at once? Because the way to reduce the odds of the rocks just despawning is to collect them into the big statue guy one at a time
Yeah I think that happened to me. Also if I got too far away from them they would disappear.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A Call From The Depths was easily the worst quest in the game, good reward though

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah that quest kinda blows. And it sticks out like a sore thumb in a game that is generally so polished.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I started that quest as soon as I got to the Great Plateau and didn’t bother to go back to finish it until I was like 100hrs in and trying to wrap up all the big quests lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they just didn't consider some people would try to throw all four eyes down before going down

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think they just didn't consider some people would try to throw all four eyes down before going down

That's how I did it and it worked fine in my game (the eyes stayed down there and respawned at the bottom of the pit if something happened to them) so I think it's just buggy :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they patched it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The quest updates when you throw an eye down. Logically this should mean it's keeping track of it. That's why I threw em all down first. That and it's a pain to navigate the Plateau from the shrines they give you this time.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but now I want to try it.
What quest? :confused:
(I'm 175 hours in the game, so I can probably unlock it.)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Poque posted:

A Call From The Depths

It's set on the grand plateau but I forget exactly what kicks it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe I made it 100 hours into the game before realizing that the UI compass map changes to reflect whatever map you last looked at on the Purah Pad. This makes exploring the depths considerably less of a slog because it's a little easier to see what isn't scalable or if there's an easier passage since the depths mirror the surface. You of course have to have the surface map unlocked too.