Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A game where you pat the humans and shoot the dogs would mess people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rimworld ruffled some feathers when they added babies and children to the game, since that means children are now targets for violence and can themselves be part of a raid or can be the entirety of a raid, like you can be chillin' on your farm growing space weed and then BAM a bunch of 6 year-olds with machetes show up to murder you and steal your drugs. But child enemies are turned off by default, you have to go out of your way to opt in; I guess the complainers always forget that they turned this on.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Every time I accidently kill a cat in GTA5 I quit the game.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

QuarkJets posted:

Rimworld ruffled some feathers when they added babies and children to the game, since that means children are now targets for violence and can themselves be part of a raid or can be the entirety of a raid, like you can be chillin' on your farm growing space weed and then BAM a bunch of 6 year-olds with machetes show up to murder you and steal your drugs. But child enemies are turned off by default, you have to go out of your way to opt in; I guess the complainers always forget that they turned this on.

Jesus who tf even cares it's a fake video game.

Like it's ok to murder slaves and harvest their organs but wait they're a kid so now I've got a moral compass?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cosmik Debris posted:

Jesus who tf even cares it's a fake video game.

Like it's ok to murder slaves and harvest their organs but wait they're a kid so now I've got a moral compass?

I mean there is a line somewhere

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The creepy children in Cyberpunk 2077 are pretty much invulnerable, but I still deliberately sprint into them because it makes them react and if I can't mow them down with my vast arsenal I can at least mildly annoy them.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For whatever reason I never played any Dark Souls, and don't really feel compelled to. And I've never played an rear end Creed game, either. I might even have one of the latter as a free game from Ubisoft, but I'm not sure I'll get around to it.

Hell, I didn't even play Mass Effect until like last year. Those games I did like, though - even Andromeda.

I'm the exact same with those kind of series.

I think it is just a mental thing where you know what a time investment they will be if you end up liking them.

Back in the day it was easier since there were less options for entertainment, but now there is so much more to choose from.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

don’t wanna cop that childkiller perk. it’s a permanent -30 to clout

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
My ex almost broke up with me once when I told her that I hated the kids in little lamplight in fallout 3 so much I installed a mod that let me kill them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Space Kablooey posted:

unpopular opinion: i dont care about killing dogs in videogames

same, usually they are the best enemies, see Resident Evil, Call of Duty and Paperboy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

same, usually they are the best enemies, see Resident Evil, Call of Duty and Paperboy

Love shot gunning the Quake dogs.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Adding in dog petting to video games is like the most memey effortless low-hanging fruit. I've never pet a dog in a video game and I never will.

Somehow that reminded me that Nintendo not only made two full open-world Zelda games where you can't pet the dogs, but that the dogs are so useless that chickens outrank them.

...Hyrulean fried chicken must be The Most Dangerous Food, come to think of it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

unpopular opinion: i dont care about killing dogs in videogames

Someone should make a game with the achievement "Dog Hater: played for an hour without petting a dog". Also you can't pet dogs in the game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I pet my dog or cat every morning in Stardew Valley and I'm just gonna say it, I think I'm a better person than the people who don't do that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive never felt the need to pet an animal in a videogame, but hey, go that one twitter feed to make it a thing devs are pressured to do.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Barudak posted:

Ive never felt the need to pet an animal in a videogame, but hey, go that one twitter feed to make it a thing devs are pressured to do.

a powerful, multi-faceted self own

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

My ex almost broke up with me once when I told her that I hated the kids in little lamplight in fallout 3 so much I installed a mod that let me kill them.

jesus christ

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why don't games let me pet the hotdog?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Sorry to bring up doomchat but I need to get it out of my system.

I loved Eternal after accepting that it wasn’t more 2016. I played the whole thing in nightmare, got good at the cool-down poo poo and had a blast overall.

Then I played the first dlc and got to a point where one of the arenas went on for like 15 minutes and I just can’t keep tryhard, sweaty focus for 15 minutes. In nightmare difficulty a couple of mistakes will end you. It’s inexplicably long, no mid arena checkpoints, nothing. I can’t stand this poo poo so I stopped playing.

I come to find out that apparently the dlc was tuned to satisfy a particularly grognard segment of the community judging by YouTube videos and the discourse surrounding them. I don’t know why id listened to them. Great base game, skip the dlc

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Chrysophylax posted:

I come to find out that apparently the dlc was tuned to satisfy a particularly grognard segment of the community judging by YouTube videos and the discourse surrounding them. I don’t know why id listened to them. Great base game, skip the dlc

It's me, I'm that grognard, I love the first DLC and my problem with the second DLC is it's too easy lol

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I hated the dlc so much

It really makes sense that it was tuned to grognards

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

imo if youre playing on nightmare you dont get to complain about sweaty tryhards

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Everything should be Cuphead default difficulty if that is too hard maybe you should leave the skill based things to us real gamers.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Everything should be Cuphead default difficulty if that is too hard maybe you should leave the skill based things to us real gamers.

I haven't played cuphead so I can't speak for it, but playing any Doom on anything below Ultra Violence should be illegal imqho

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Space Kablooey posted:

imo if youre playing on nightmare you dont get to complain about sweaty tryhards

My complaint wasn't directed at sweaty tryhards but at id for listening to them.

Might be that my problem here is super specific - the meaning of nightmare changed. Instead of just having a remix of encounters or more/different enemies (which it did have) or different arenas, more plot, just stuff, they also upped the difficulty but in a new way that wasn't present in the base game and that I have no way of overcoming. The next difficulty down was too easy.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Chrysophylax posted:

My complaint wasn't directed at sweaty tryhards but at id for listening to them.

Might be that my problem here is super specific - the meaning of nightmare changed. Instead of a remix of encounters or more/different enemies (which it did have) or different arenas, more plot, just stuff, they upped the difficulty but in a new ways not present in the base game and that I have no way of overcoming. The next difficulty down was too easy.

have you tried the challenge remixes of the base game levels? Super Gore Nest has like a Cyberdemon and multiple pain elementals and a double marauder encounter while standing in green goo so you can' run or dash, it's pretty fun.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yeah i love having my movement be restricted in a game that's about constant fast movement

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

have you tried the challenge remixes of the base game levels? Super Gore Nest has like a Cyberdemon and multiple pain elementals and a double marauder encounter while standing in green goo so you can' run or dash, it's pretty fun.

QuarkJets posted:

yeah i love having my movement be restricted in a game that's about constant fast movement

I didn't, and I would hate it for this reason

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chrysophylax posted:

Might be that my problem here is super specific - the meaning of nightmare changed. Instead of just having a remix of encounters or more/different enemies (which it did have) or different arenas, more plot, just stuff, they also upped the difficulty but in a new way that wasn't present in the base game and that I have no way of overcoming. The next difficulty down was too easy.

This is similar to my complaint against Secrets of Grindea. Their difficulty setting also affects enemy aggression and attack pattern robustness. This means that enemies barely even attack at all on any difficulty below the hardest setting. But the problem with that is, Hard is the only mode where the game is interesting to play, except you die in three hits and enemies have 10x the health!

It's totally stupid.

oh hard is also the difficulty where bosses have bullet hell attack patterns lol. like, what the poo poo, this is clearly inspired by secret of mana but now you're telling me it's actually a touhou game??

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I'm perfectly fine with how the new Dooms balanced harder difficulties but 99% of games make them all pointlessly tedious, I think one of the few exceptions is Halo (1-Reach, I never played any after that)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Space Kablooey posted:

I mean absolutely yes. You ordered a mouthful of bees and you're complaining about the buzzing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I'm perfectly fine with how the new Dooms balanced harder difficulties but 99% of games make them all pointlessly tedious, I think one of the few exceptions is Halo (1-Reach, I never played any after that)

Yeah, I'm not fond that the standard approach to difficulty increases tends to be making enemies into bullet sponges. I tend to favor a fairly "glass cannon" approach to character builds, which gets really unfun when all the enemies are turned into tanks. When higher difficulty settings make that unavoidable it's even worse.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, I'm not fond that the standard approach to difficulty increases tends to be making enemies into bullet sponges. I tend to favor a fairly "glass cannon" approach to character builds, which gets really unfun when all the enemies are turned into tanks. When higher difficulty settings make that unavoidable it's even worse.

I had a buddy who bragged about beating Skyrim on the hardest difficulty and it was just a massive "why would you waste your time". Like the game isn't actually more difficult you just have to chug more potions and everything takes longer.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
The only good difficulty settings I can think of are for the Thief games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rad Codex games have cool difficulty options. They're turn based tactical RPGs and there are 2 different axes of difficulty selections. One is the standard "adjust enemy stats" one and the other one controls how much time the AI will spend calculating optimal moves. So if you want a really tactically difficult opponent that never makes mistakes you can optionally do that or you can set up the AI to rush haphazardly into the first thing it considers (or anywhere in between). It's pretty cool and that's the way all turn-based games should do difficulty IMO

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Outpost22 posted:

The only good difficulty settings I can think of are for the Thief games.

except they are terrible because by playing on easy you miss like a third of the missions

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Forza has great difficulty options that feel very intuitive and make you actually want to up them. You ger bigger payouts from races for turning down/off braking lines, turning off TCS and ABS, changing collision models, and using manual instead of automatic (and even introducing a clutch button on top of a simple manual scheme)

Offers a clear incentive for skill progression without any extra dumb fake difficulty added AND makes the game feel more and more accurate to real life.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
risk of rain 2 is a bad game that sucks so why cant I stop playing it?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cosmik Debris posted:

risk of rain 2 is a bad game that sucks so why cant I stop playing it?

This but ODT

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Space Kablooey posted:

People unironcally playing on Nightmare shows that the setting has been watered down. Didn't Doom'16 also have 'ultra-nightmare' or some such poo poo? Nightmare is supposed to be a joke difficulty level, put in as a snub to those back in 1994 who complained that the previous highest was too easy. Which to be fair it was, but that's ok since it was a birth of a new genre and associated player skills. I think it took like two decades before some nerd actually won on it.

So yea, it's a tradition that's been lost. It's the ultimate middle finger to guys asking for a harder game, and shoulda been kept as such.