Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I feel terrible for Hokutofuji. Grand Sumo doesn't exactly handle injury well, but at least they didn't make him climb back up onto the dohyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Man, that sucks about Hokutofuji.

Also, fuckin' Shodai, man. Took the night off after his kinboshi.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I feel awful for Hokutofuji, here's hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Rags to Liches posted:

I feel awful for Hokutofuji, here's hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked.

He's a rikishi that I do not always choose for my stable, but that I always cheer for no matter what. That was a hard match to watch.

A lot of people were making GBS threads on Hoshoryu for just standing there afterwards but I am not sure exactly what he could do to help the situation-- his opponent was down but being attended to by the shimpan and yobidashi on hand and the expectation is that rikishi (especially high ranking ones) always maintain a dispassionate reserve at all times while on the dohyo. It's just a poo poo situation all around when a rikishi goes down and stays down.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fearless posted:

He's a rikishi that I do not always choose for my stable, but that I always cheer for no matter what. That was a hard match to watch.

A lot of people were making GBS threads on Hoshoryu for just standing there afterwards but I am not sure exactly what he could do to help the situation-- his opponent was down but being attended to by the shimpan and yobidashi on hand and the expectation is that rikishi (especially high ranking ones) always maintain a dispassionate reserve at all times while on the dohyo. It's just a poo poo situation all around when a rikishi goes down and stays down.
I'm sure Hoshoryu felt bad, but yeah there was absolutely nothing he could do for Hokutofuji. The gyoji asked him to return to his side and wait, and there were more than enough yobi and elders rushing over to help. :smith:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bentai posted:

I'm sure Hoshoryu felt bad, but yeah there was absolutely nothing he could do for Hokutofuji. The gyoji asked him to return to his side and wait, and there were more than enough yobi and elders rushing over to help. :smith:

I do wish that there were medics right at ringside as a matter of course. Response times feel quite laggy, but then again time flows differently at a time like that.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Yeah, but at least he was able to get up with help. Brought back some bad memories of my knee giving out when I wrestled.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Rags to Liches posted:

haha, that’s exactly how my girlfriend reacted, and then ten minutes later she was absolutely INVESTED in every match.

She’s gonna watch as much of the midnightsumo/karla feeds with me as she can tonight. I’m so proud.

I wouldn't say my wife is invested, but she will happily watch it. She's pretty good at finding value in most of the miscellaneous poo poo I enjoy watching on Youtube, whether it's tarantulas, chess or huge blokes shoving each other around a ring.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I wouldn't say my wife is invested, but she will happily watch it. She's pretty good at finding value in most of the miscellaneous poo poo I enjoy watching on Youtube, whether it's tarantulas, chess or huge blokes shoving each other around a ring.

She's an anime and manga fan too, so she's looking at watching sumo as a way to help her practice her reading of kanji and hearing spoken Japanese. But yeah, like your wife, my girlfriend finds entertainment in a lot of the weird stuff I have on in the background while I work. The tradeoff is usually watching anime/K-dramas/boring hollywood movies that my ADHD brain can't focus on but it's worth it.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I always gotta imagine that a bout that ends in an injury is taxing for the uninjured rikishi as well. I don't recall who Aoiyama was facing when he got injured, but you gotta imagine that the other guy is now thinking that he ended a career.

I get the impression that off the dohyo Hoshoryu is pretty affable. It's gotta be excruciating watching a scene like that unfold.

Unrelated: I think that Onosato must come from a long line of bulldozers. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they start putting him against higher ranked rikishi. So far it seems like basically none of the lower ranked guys have stood a chance.

Also will be interesting/funny to see the inevitable henka.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

I always lose track: does he have elder stock? The number of chronic hip and back issues he's got going on make me really worried :ohdear:

I don't think he has much to worry about if he wants to stay. He can stay as Takayasu for 3 years as an ex-Ozeki so he's got time to work things out if he retires from the dohyo. Being bffs Kisenosato/Nishonoseki who's being positioned for upper leadership probably has him high up on the list when he needs one.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/asahi_osumo/status/1749231217529237683

DeepL posted:

[Absent].
Hokutofuji, the third highest ranked wrestler in the west maegashira, will be absent from the tournament starting on the 9th day.

It is believed that he injured his right knee on the 8th day against Toyoshoryu.
That's expected. But hey, the hits just keep on coming!
https://hochi.news/articles/20240122-OHT1T51038.html?page=1

quote:

Former top-ranked ozeki Asanoyama takes a disappointing day off after suffering his first black star on day 8, unable to stand up in the ring : Sports Hochi

Former ozeki-ranked makuuchi Asanoyama (Takasago) took a day off on the ninth day of the ninth sumo tournament, his 11th in two consecutive tournaments. Even in his dressing room, he was concerned about his right leg.
So Asanoyama is also out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh god the kyujo situation this basho is so dire. I miss a couple days and now I'm drowning in auto-trades. Gonna take a second to work all this out, but I'll have a post up in the next couple hours.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

As has happened before, I do not abandon the rikishi of my stable when they find themselves injured. I will neither seek nor accept an automatic Asanoyama trade given his injury and will instead continue to cheer for a speedy and thorough recovery.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
You get a kyujo, and you get a kyujo, you get a kyujo, everyone gets a kyujo!!!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Watch Teru somehow avoid going kyujo this basho.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

anakha posted:

Watch Teru somehow avoid going kyujo this basho.

Portrait of Dorian Gray but it's lower ranked wrestlers instead of a portrait

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Basho of the Damned.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

drat asanoyama was looking so good too

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Despite that article regarding Asanoyama - I am not seeing him listed on the absent rikishi list yet. Hokutofuji is, however.

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Yeah, I’m sticking with Asanoyama too. Hes the sort who will make a surprise comeback if at all possible.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

FART BOSS posted:

Yeah, I’m sticking with Asanoyama too. Hes the sort who will make a surprise comeback if at all possible.

yeah, he might be waiting to see how his leg responds to a day or two of rest

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I do not want to auto-trade away Hokutofuji. that's my boy. my boy!!!

..idk how to handle Asanoyama though, is it possible he could come back?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

He did it before, I want to say in May or July?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I will take an auto trade for asanoyama if he is indeed out on day 9. I want him back in my heya if he returns at a later date.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

This isn't as bad as the Covid Chaos Basho.

Yet.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Gonna keep Asanoyama for now, no autotrade plz. He only needs 3 more wins to pick up a KK, I figure that will be motivation for him to come back before the second week's out.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 22, 2024

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

A special Juryo kyujo. :smith:
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/01/22/kiji/20240122s00005000211000c.html

DeepL posted:

The Japan Sumo Association announced on August 22 that Kotoeko (32, Sadoketake stable), the fourth highest ranked wrestler in the west juryo division, will be absent from the ninth day of the tournament.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I almost asked on day 3 for a koeteko trade heh

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alright, time for some bookkeeping. First of all, trades for Hokutofuji (and, if he is actually kyujo, Asanoyama) will be processed for Day 10 (since you can't trade on Day 8, and therefore have to take the fusen on Day 9), and will follow the draft order. I'm going to present the trade results for Hokuseiho and Aoiyama, which are live for Day 7 and Day 8, respectively.

bartolimu posted:

Not in my stable he's not! I will carry my large son across the finish line even if it means losing my fantasy salary. No auto-trade for me. I will accept the failure of my style as a lesson and rise from the ashes of my team stronger and more determined than ever.

CodFishBalls posted:

No trade for me, I'll figure something out next basho

CodFishBalls posted:

I maintain my no trade stance, and will focus on coming back better next Basho.

Medenmath posted:

I think Aoiyama is on my team, no autotrade for me either please. Sticking with your guys is more important than winning.

Fearless posted:

As has happened before, I do not abandon the rikishi of my stable when they find themselves injured. I will neither seek nor accept an automatic Asanoyama trade given his injury and will instead continue to cheer for a speedy and thorough recovery.

Kerrzhe posted:

I do not want to auto-trade away Hokutofuji. that's my boy. my boy!!!

Hinkaku noted all-round.

Hokuseiho trades for Day 7:

code:
rare Magic card l00k	Sadanoumi
Banana Canada		Tamawashi
Xerzes			Ichiyamamoto
Communist Thoughts	Kinbozan
The only person who had Aoiyama and didn't request to retain him is Xerzes, so they're getting Bushozan on Day 8. They've also suffered 3 kyujo-based trades on their team this basho, which is rough.

I'm going to wait to do any trade processing for Hokutofuji or Asanoyama until tomorrow, so we can get better info about whether they're out or not, and give people a chance to request no auto-trades.

Chinook posted:

So Hokutofuji went kyujo on day 7, then? Or would it be 8?

I suppose I'll get an auto-trade, then. But will it be penalized?

Edit: Must be day 8, oops. My math was wrong. :)

Hokutofuji got hurt on Day 8, and there's no trading after Day 7. You'll get an auto-trade, which will be subject to the trading penalties of reduced draft wire position and score penalties if it's your 2nd+ trade.

Banana Canada posted:

Kenning - check on Tiny Bug Child? I have them at 10.5 on Day 05 instead of 8.5.

Just realised my summary table was rounding the half-points. Expanded the columns to show them now.

Good catch, mixed up my trading columns

Boogalo posted:

I almost asked on day 3 for a koeteko trade heh

My instinct is to not do trading in juryo, since it's just bonus points/tiebreaker stuff, so daily scores don't matter as much as final scores. Lmk if anyone has other thoughts tho.

Day 8 standings

Makuuchi
code:
33	Thauros
31	anakha
30	pseudodragon
30	Vargatron
29	Average Lettuce
29	bessantj
29	Kenning
29	Khizan
29	Saturnine Aberrance
28	Ben Nerevarine
28	Chinook
28	MyChemicalImbalance
28	NuclearPotato
28	Pakled
27	Iron Chef Nex
27	MalarkeyToboggan
27	Teddybear
26	Lid
26	Marching Powder
25	Fearless
25	whats for dinner
24.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
24.5	Helianthus Annuus
24	Jobbo_Fett
24	Robviously
22.5	Banana Canada
22.5	ullerrm
22	captainblastum
21	Communist Thoughts
21	Ice Phisherman
20	Brut
20	Crusty Nutsack
20	Netsky
20	NTRabbit
18.5	Tiny Bug Child
16.5	bartolimu
15.5	Fluffdaddy
13	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
33	Nativity In Black
32	Samuel L. Hacksaw
31	FART BOSS
30	OneSizeFitsAll
29	Kennedy
28	Boogalo
28	Dead Goon
28	Liquid Communism
27	Flinger
27	Winter Stormer
26	ratmosphere
25	Takuan
24.5	Kerrzhe
23	Greekonomics
22	ImplicitAssembler
22	Nick Soapdish
20	PJ
20	rare Magic card l00k
20	Taffy Torpedo
19	Bentai
19	Rags to Liches
18	Eldoop
18	KungFu Grip
18	Kuros
16	Beexoffel
16	Single Tight Female
13.5	CodFishBalls
11.5	Medenmath
8.5	StupidSexyMothman
Hoping for things to settle down a bit in the last week. No more hurt rikishi plz.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Finally, some :unsmith: happy sumo news:
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/4eec6a631f6aa649134ec70e56670a2ea0c916c1

DeepL posted:

It was announced on February 22 that the first "Dream Girls Cup" women's sumo tournament will be held on February 11 at the Sumida Futsal Arena, with former Yokozuna Hakuho wrestler Miyagino Oyakata as the cheering supporter. The tournament is open to girls from the first grade of elementary school to the third grade of high school, and his daughter Mana is scheduled to try sumo for the first time. Mireku Sudo, who is known as a "golf prodigy girl" after winning the four major junior golf tournaments for the first time in history, is also scheduled to participate.

The tournament was established to promote sumo among girls and to expand the base of female sumo fans by making sumo more familiar to them from childhood. The organizing committee explained its intention to Miyagino Oyakata, who has a deep understanding of the popularization of amateur sumo, and he readily agreed to the establishment of the tournament. The name of the tournament, "Dream Girls Cup," was chosen because of the importance he attaches to the word "dream.

Miyagino said, "The Hakuho Cup, a boys' sumo tournament that I have held 13 times in the past, is a boys' tournament, but I have always heard from the sisters and brothers of the wrestlers who came to the venue to cheer them on that they would like to try sumo themselves. It is my great pleasure to see the establishment of a tournament that responds to the voices of these girls who love sumo. I hope that the first Dream Girls Cup will be a new light for women's sumo and a big step forward in further expanding the popularity of sumo in the future. As a supporter of the event, I would like to help spread the word about this event and send my support.

Calligrapher Shoko Kanazawa designed the official logo for the event. Miyagino's goal was to remain active until the Tokyo Olympics, and he was encouraged by a poster in his room with the same character "Sho" as his name, written by Ms. Kanazawa. This was the impetus for the Executive Committee to ask Mr. Kanazawa to write the title of this year's event. The official poster is a collaboration of the two, with a new painting by Madoka En, an artist. The event's MC will be the comedy duo Harisenbon. Admission is free.

Good guy Hakuho Miyagino-oyakata!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Miyagino-oyakata is going to make the old men very angry, but will honestly likely the be reason sumo survives as a sport.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That might be overstating it. I like him though.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The body count of this Basho :stare:

It goes to show how hard an Ozeki, and Yokozuna, run really is. No-one would say Asanoyama lacks the talent to make it there again, but will his body hold up? Super disappointed for him.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ura Atta boy Ura, the road to 8-7 starts here!

Shodai still napping after the kinboshi, but at least there was some brief chaos

Abi Love a good henka

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Paying2Lurk posted:

Abi Love a good henka

:hmmyes:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't decide what my heart wants. I'd love to see a Kotonowaka yusho, but also I would be giddy over a yusho won by a dude too green to even grow a topknot lol. Of course my hubris has cursed both to a winless run starting tomorrow, so gomen ne :[

somehow the most accurate meme I've ever seen

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Gonoyama's on my team so sucks to see him lose again but he had it coming with that tachiai

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I would like to keep Asanoyama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I also would like to request no auto-trade on Asanoyama