Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Doltos posted:

I got it right about Herbert because big cannon

Herbert also has incredible footwork in the pocket and is very very smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was right about cody kessler

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

a neat cape posted:

Herbert also has incredible footwork in the pocket and is very very smart

Lynn and his off-season coaches completely reworked his feet from Mario’s hosed up pistol mechanics that they ran at Oregon. The boy genius part was always true, he knew what he wanted to do but desperately needed someone to fix his spacing and mechanics for consistency so his output felt controllable.

SKULL.GIF posted:

re: Josh Allen, I posted a thread a few years back about how the QB scarcity crisis was "solved" and that Allen's development process was a huge clue towards why/how. It wasn't received too well :v: but it ended on this fantastic/prescient post from TGG discussing game managers vs. "tools" QBs that I think should get eyeballs today, especially after the last few playoff games:

Bolding on final paragraph from me, for emphasis.

The real tell for what valuation is becoming is going to be what happens with Tua or Cousins this year. Look at the Seahawks with Geno and Drew. Everyone is going to try for a lottery ticket even if you have a good game manager because it just fundamentally changes the math of what’s possible. Tua and Cousins do numbers like Geno—what teams does that improve versus what teams is that the status quo or ceiling holding back what it could be.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t think Drew Lock represents some deep preference of QB evaluations in Seattle. I think they traded Russ and got a qb back in the mega deal.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don’t think Drew Lock represents some deep preference of QB evaluations in Seattle. I think they traded Russ and got a qb back in the mega deal.

It’s not about deep preference, it’s a pure potential play. If drew lock was as unproven as he was but had only Geno’s toolset, he might not get traded or keep a roster spot as easily because “what’s my upside here’s really?” Organizationally, they love drafting high composite athletes and traits with things like Geno’s success representing some minor deviations from that. Does the organization invest a spot in Lock past the initial trade if he has lesser traits? I think there’s definitely been a sea change if teams will speculate on those traits as opposed to generic “backup who knows the offense” types for the QB2 spot in the league every single time

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Lamar stuff was hilarious because he ran a pro-style offence at Louisville and so was more suited to operating an NFL offence than most prospects yet still got lumped as guy who needed to be coddled with a basic rear end run heavy system

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

It’s not about deep preference, it’s a pure potential play. If drew lock was as unproven as he was but had only Geno’s toolset, he might not get traded or keep a roster spot as easily because “what’s my upside here’s really?” Organizationally, they love drafting high composite athletes and traits with things like Geno’s success representing some minor deviations from that. Does the organization invest a spot in Lock past the initial trade if he has lesser traits? I think there’s definitely been a sea change if teams will speculate on those traits as opposed to generic “backup who knows the offense” types for the QB2 spot in the league every single time

I mean I get where you are coming from but again Lock was the only even potentially valuable QB in Denver’s roster so he was included in the trade. He’s terrible but so are most QBs taken with late round flyers. Seattle kept Drew mainly because he was packaged with the deal and because he was relatively cheap on a second round rookie deal.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

The Lamar stuff was hilarious because he ran a pro-style offence at Louisville and so was more suited to operating an NFL offence than most prospects yet still got lumped as guy who needed to be coddled with a basic rear end run heavy system
The big knock at the time was Lamar's accuracy, which was unfair because Louisville had receivers with hands made of butter, but that's not reflected in the completion percentage. Regarding calls to "dumb down" the system, we may never know why those were made. It is truly a mystery.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Sam Darnold has a head I want to knock down a door with.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 22, 2024

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
A lot of us in TFF had Lamar as the #1 QB in that draft class, iirc.

E: I had Lamar, Rosen, Darnold, in order. Obviously very wrong about Rosen.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

shyduck posted:

The big knock at the time was Lamar's accuracy, which was unfair because Louisville had receivers with hands made of butter, but that's not reflected in the completion percentage. Regarding calls to "dumb down" the system, we may never know why those were made. It is truly a mystery.

Are we sure that's Sam Darnold and not Dexter?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fishing with the fam posted:

Sam Darnold has a head I want to knock down a door with.

It’s a great cube

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Javon Baker is a third round receiver. Book it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MrLogan posted:

A lot of us in TFF had Lamar as the #1 QB in that draft class, iirc.

E: I had Lamar, Rosen, Darnold, in order. Obviously very wrong about Rosen.

these sort of things change a ton depending on when you are remembering or looking back at. basically everyone will have a completely different top 3 in january compared to march, and then another completely different list 3 days before the draft. pundits & posters

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 22, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

these sort of things change a ton depending on when you are remembering or looking back at. basically everyone will have a completely different top 3 in january compared to march, and then another completely different list 3 days before the draft. pundits & posters

Top 2 has been consistent for this draft since forever.

Jayden Daniels will go third.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i mean years where people would talk about who they had. no one would bother with a year like 2022 and then in a year like 2024 people will talk about where they had penix or nix if one of them ends up being good, even though it was 3rd at one point, 6th at another

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I'm putting Daniels above Maye.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

^inshallah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Any good corners that should be available at the end of the first?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Is there a single poster in TFF that has Maye above Daniels?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

Any good corners that should be available at the end of the first?

Quinyon Mitchell

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The Dream

Only registered members can see post attachments!

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

fsif posted:

Is there a single poster in TFF that has Maye above Daniels?

So do the draftniks here think Maye is going to be a Josh Rosen 2.0 bust? Or just that Daniels has greater potential?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

predicto posted:

So do the draftniks here think Maye is going to be a Josh Rosen 2.0 bust? Or just that Daniels has greater potential?

Maye has more question marks for me than Daniels does. I don't think he'll be a huge bust necessarily (altho depends on the fit) but I've got way more confidence that Daniels will be pretty good.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

It was Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence as the clear and obvious top 2 for almost the entire season and early draft process and look how that went down by the end.

I follow the draft every year through the filter of trying to predict all the 1st rounders and it is a very visible problem every year that over the long course of time between the draft season starting and the draft itself that writers and scouts and such will get bored writing the same things about the long viewed top prospects and start falling in love with lesser known prospects as they branch out and watch more film, or they start second guessing the top guys because they have to come up with something else to say, and it inevitably leads to late game shakeups.

The Darnold/Rosen/Baker/Allen/Lamar year was pretty consistently "Darnold v Rosen" as the top QB prospect. Allen was a controversial pick, either rated very highly or viewed terribly, Baker had a very late surge and nobody talked about him as the possible top guy until like maybe a week before the draft when reports about the Browns started coming out. Lamar was consistently rated as a late teens-20's guy and the 5th best of the bunch, many viewed him as not even worth a first round pick and there was the select few places like TFF who viewed him more highly.

I think Caleb is still easily going first but Maye and Daniels could both very much fall out of favor and swap in the next few months

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Then sometimes you get some weird smokescreen poo poo like "Malik Willis is going to go in the first round!"

Or stuff you assume is dumb smokescreen poo poo like "Daniel Jones is going to go in the first round!"

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

fsif posted:

Then sometimes you get some weird smokescreen poo poo like "Malik Willis is going to go in the first round!"

Or stuff you assume is dumb smokescreen poo poo like "Daniel Jones is going to go in the first round!"

Speaking of Willis, I wonder if he ends up on the Vikings.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Willis looked horrid in the games he played and very few teams will be jumping out of their skin to pick him up.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wanna know who was the first pundit to call TLaw a "generational prospect".

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He’s still on a rookie deal on the Titans, who have need of a backup.

e: i guess they could cut him, but I imagine they’ll spend their cap elsewhere and just pick up a Joe Flacco-type midseason if Levis gets hurt

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I think Willis looked horrid in the games he played and very few teams will be jumping out of their skin to pick him up.

KOC is a QB guru. He could find a sliver of life in Willis and make it work to a degree somehow.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Soul Glo posted:

He’s still on a rookie deal on the Titans, who have need of a backup.

e: i guess they could cut him, but I imagine they’ll spend their cap elsewhere and just pick up a Joe Flacco-type midseason if Levis gets hurt

I would imagine the Titans just want to start all over.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wanna know who was the first pundit to call TLaw a "generational prospect".

I feel like there's a Nate Silver-esque way to spin this as accurate. Like, a "generational prospect" means that his floor is good starter but his ceiling is top 5 all-time QB. Turns out we just got the floor outcome.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I would imagine the Titans just want to start all over.

I admit I don’t follow backup quarterback philosophy all that much but I’m unsure why they would turn Willis loose if he’s capable of playing the scout team and holding a clipboard tbqh

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fsif posted:

I feel like the Malik Willis in the first talk happened for two reasons:
1. Historically it is super duper rare for any qb to not go in the first.
2. The time immediately leading up to the draft is when some hot take content comes out because everyone has already gone over the rational content ad nauseam.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

To be fair betting on nfl teams to do something stupid... kinda safe bet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

1. Historically it is super duper rare for any qb to not go in the first.

What? People draft for QB depth in every round.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A Sneaker Broker posted:

is there anything to this rumor or do you just think the vikings are that desperate

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

is there anything to this rumor or do you just think the vikings are that desperate

Their was a rumor earlier in training camp the Vikings wanted depth at QB because their backups weren't cutting it (spoiler alert: they were right). Vikings were gonna attempt to trade for a backup that was cheap. Malik's name kept popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Malik Willis was being projected high because he has good physical tools and is a good interview. He absolutely cannot play quarterback at the nfl level. Perfectly nice guy who should be, best case scenario, a practice squad guy who is your emergency third string QB. Not saying the titans did him any favors because vrabel was very clearly not excited about him but he could not read a defense at all, he ran into sacks at an astonishing rate if his first read wasn’t there. He would benefit from going elsewhere and the titans would benefit from having somebody behind Levis who isn’t totally unable to play the position.

Another banger of a pick by our old GM lol