Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Air Skwirl posted:

don't ask chat GPT for modding advice, or any advice at all.

Ordinarily I wouldn't but I was in a desperate situation. I really don't want to infect this thread with AI wankery though. Can you offer any advice on what I should do instead of what it said I should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

celestial teapot posted:

Yeah I'm using Alternate Start.

Anyway, the guess was wrong; I didn't even get to the main menu, let alone the wagon ride. Instead I got a big black window from a process not consuming any CPU.

Here's what I did:

1. Added ENB dlls
2. Added Weather is Sacred preset
3. Started SKSE via MO2 as before
4. Looked at a black screen for 5 or 6 minutes before giving up

No steam overlay, mangohud, discord overlay or anything of such is enabled.

Is this a known issue, or anything obvious I can check to troubleshoot it?

You should add the ENB dll name to WINEDLLOVERRIDES. I was running an ENB on the Deck, no reason it won't work on Arch for you.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

v1ld posted:

You should add the ENB dll name to WINEDLLOVERRIDES. I was running an ENB on the Deck, no reason it won't work on Arch for you.

Good call, I got this in:

code:
$ echo $WINEDLLOVERRIDES
winemenubuilder.exe=d;d3d11.dll=n,b;d3dcompiler_46e.dll=n,b
No improvement though :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

celestial teapot posted:

Yeah I'm using Alternate Start.

Anyway, the guess was wrong; I didn't even get to the main menu, let alone the wagon ride. Instead I got a big black window from a process not consuming any CPU.

Here's what I did:

1. Added ENB dlls
2. Added Weather is Sacred preset
3. Started SKSE via MO2 as before
4. Looked at a black screen for 5 or 6 minutes before giving up

No steam overlay, mangohud, discord overlay or anything of such is enabled.

Is this a known issue, or anything obvious I can check to troubleshoot it?

Black screen makes me think its a problem somewhere in the graphics stack.

I would start by trying to narrow down where the problem is. Right now it could be Skyrim itself, skse, ENB, or mo2. So try running with just Skyrim + skse and see if that works. You want to isolate the one thing that seems to cause the problem when you enable it and solves the problem when you disable it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

the cart ride is a wild gamble because the cart can get overturned if it runs into a bee. I'm not making that up.

It can be, but it won't! The developer twitter thread where we got this information from explains that they fixed this very specific issue by entirely removing collision physics from bees :hist101:

Presumably this means that before this point in development you could be sprinting down the road only to instantly come to a complete stop because you slammed into a perfectly unbothered pollinator.

e: in the same thread the dev also said "I have no idea why the carts even needed real time physics".

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Finally putting together your own personal modlist, troubleshooting it until everything works, finally starting a new game and then immediately getting launched into the stratosphere with the intro cart due to physics bugs that happen only in this particular instance, is a proud Skyrim tradition and everyone should experience it at least once. :colbert:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

No, because Skyrim is a lovely bug-filled game and even unmodded the cart ride is a wild gamble because the cart can get overturned if it runs into a bee. I'm not making that up.

can't you use an alternate start mod like a regular person?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Finally putting together your own personal modlist, troubleshooting it until everything works, finally starting a new game and then immediately getting launched into the stratosphere with the intro cart due to physics bugs that happen only in this particular instance, is a proud Skyrim tradition and everyone should experience it at least once. :colbert:

I can't imagine going through putting together an in depth mod list and not using an alternate start mod.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ThaumPenguin posted:

It can be, but it won't! The developer twitter thread where we got this information from explains that they fixed this very specific issue by entirely removing collision physics from bees :hist101:

Presumably this means that before this point in development you could be sprinting down the road only to instantly come to a complete stop because you slammed into a perfectly unbothered pollinator.

e: in the same thread the dev also said "I have no idea why the carts even needed real time physics".

Me, climbing to the Throat of the World by ascending a series of bees

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

davidspackage posted:

Me, climbing to the Throat of the World by ascending a series of bees

Hey, how did you get ahold of the unreleased 38th Sermon of Vivec?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
The 38th Sermon has to do with paintbrushes in Cyrodiil around the time of the Oblivion crisis, clearly this concerns the 39th

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

When upping the difficulty I'm now being told I have to sleep and eat or get my stats penalized. What's with that? I said I don't want survival mode or whatever. Can I disable this? I just want the enemies to not be made from paper mache...

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Turn off Survival mode in the settings menu.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

It's unchecked

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've had the same problem since the AE patch--changing the difficulty locks me into Survival Mode, unchangeably, even if I have it turned off in settings. I couldn't find any useful info about it from googling and thought it was just me.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I had an issue where I declined the prompt fine but loading a save prior to the prompt would gently caress it all up permanently.

Changing difficulty specifically I think can be done outside the game? I know some people are doing it that way because the menu will slide to novice if you try and change it right now, maybe

E: I also had an issue where trying to change the difficulty turned on survival mode, sorry, it's how I turned up the suggested fix above. There should also be a bugfix? At the very least I haven't had the problem since I did whatever I did. Lemme dig around more

E2: here's what I was thinking of:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/106418

Maybe it'll help with the survival mode thing too, I dunno, I haven't run into it since

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 24, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh I never knew Interesting NPCs had companions lol. Met some undead wizard who seems cool. For a conjurer he hasn't actually conjured anything but he came with a soul trap dagger so I just give him all my empty gems and keep the supply flowing. Paired well with a ring I found that basically gives your enchanted weapons infinite charges

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/93608

Finally some good hairs.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've had the same problem since the AE patch--changing the difficulty locks me into Survival Mode, unchangeably, even if I have it turned off in settings. I couldn't find any useful info about it from googling and thought it was just me.

Glad to know I'm not alone. The only thing I can do to turn off Survival mechanics is revert to novice difficulty level. I'll post back here if I figure anything out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The only known workaround seems to be what Zingley posted: if you edit the difficulty in the .ini file it will stick.

I guess it's a SkyUI bug rather than a game bug, technically?

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only known workaround seems to be what Zingley posted: if you edit the difficulty in the .ini file it will stick.

I guess it's a SkyUI bug rather than a game bug, technically?

Oh I missed that post, thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to try this fix now and report back!

Edit: IT WORKS!!!

celestial teapot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 25, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doesn't AE come with a creation club survival mode by default?

I removed all of those things and downgraded to SE, so don't know if they're enabled by default too.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

No idea where else to put this but... I'm playing PS4 Skyrim and just got a prompt to install the 1.3 patch.
Having been burned by automatically installing Skyrim patches only to discover they break the game for several months, I looked it up first, and as far as I can tell it's at least 7 years old? So I have no idea why it's prompting me to install it now. I'm up to date with all previous patches,
Any ideas?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pookah posted:

No idea where else to put this but... I'm playing PS4 Skyrim and just got a prompt to install the 1.3 patch.
Having been burned by automatically installing Skyrim patches only to discover they break the game for several months, I looked it up first, and as far as I can tell it's at least 7 years old? So I have no idea why it's prompting me to install it now. I'm up to date with all previous patches,
Any ideas?

1.3 is an update/bugfix patch for SE, so it should be fine in general. I'd be looking up anything after that though, I'd be worried about AE/creation club updates loving over your game. Of course, 1.3 may mess with any mods you have installed, but I don't know how big a thing that is on PS4.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arivia posted:

1.3 is an update/bugfix patch for SE, so it should be fine in general. I'd be looking up anything after that though, I'd be worried about AE/creation club updates loving over your game. Of course, 1.3 may mess with any mods you have installed, but I don't know how big a thing that is on PS4.

That's the weird thing, I've had the SE installed for over a year, all patches up to date, game happily working online, able to install mods etc. I don't understand how it can have been doing that perfectly when missing a big, very old patch like that.
I'll have to install it soon anyway, since not doing so is blocking me from any online stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Stupid question: is it possible to 'clone' a modded Skyrim install? My old computer has my modded Skyrim install/playthrough, but it's been having issues (got a replacement motherboard put in it yesterday, and thought I had it fixed, but it immediately went back to doing the same thing today), so I'm wondering if i can just rescue the install and put it on the new computer.

The issue I see is that if I download Skyrim from Steam, then I'd have to downpatch it again, but if copied over the game files, wouldn't I be able to have Steam just locate the files and treat it as if it were installed?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Just copy the files. You don't even need to install it through steam at all on the new PC. Steam doesn't care if a game is installed or not.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Flowing Thot posted:

Just copy the files. You don't even need to install it through steam at all on the new PC. Steam doesn't care if a game is installed or not.

I thought Steam had to be running for Skyrim to start? When I was playing it yesterday (before the computer crapped out again), I started the game through Mod Organizer, but I was still able to access the Steam Overlay, and achievements still popped.

I was thinking about trying to get all the achievements in Skyrim SE, but without Steam, won't it fail to track them?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Steam has to be running, the game doesn't need to be installed through Steam. If the files are already on your PC it will just work with them even if you didn't install it through Steam on that PC.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You can also tell Steam to "install" Skyrim to the Skyrim folder you copied from your old PC. Steam will skip downloading any file it sees is already present, which should be all of them. After that, the game will count as being properly installed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Last year my computer asploded and I had to do a fresh install of basically everything. Feeling the itch to go back to Skyrim for a little while but I'm gonna have to redo my modlist from scratch, and I'm certain a whole bunch of the old stuff I had will no longer work with the newer version that came out since last I played.

Is there any sort of good list of stuff for a solid overhaul or mod collection anywhere that isn't bloated to hell and back with weird trash that's been updated? I have the Special Edition, for whatever that's worth.

Otherwise I'm gonna just start rebuilding from nothing, and that's gonna involve a whole bunch of time in the blasted hellscape of anime waifus that is the Nexus :ohdear:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

If you want something that's pretty much guaranteed to work, I'd suggest checking out Wabbajack; it's a program that can download, install and configure various curated modlists for you. Chances are one of them will fit your tastes.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 30, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

theshim posted:

Last year my computer asploded and I had to do a fresh install of basically everything. Feeling the itch to go back to Skyrim for a little while but I'm gonna have to redo my modlist from scratch, and I'm certain a whole bunch of the old stuff I had will no longer work with the newer version that came out since last I played.

Is there any sort of good list of stuff for a solid overhaul or mod collection anywhere that isn't bloated to hell and back with weird trash that's been updated? I have the Special Edition, for whatever that's worth.

Otherwise I'm gonna just start rebuilding from nothing, and that's gonna involve a whole bunch of time in the blasted hellscape of anime waifus that is the Nexus :ohdear:

STEP is still a thing https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:2.2.0

Note that Anniversary Edition is just SE with a bunch of extra DLC added on. So even though you only bought SE back when, you can still have and use the AE game version which includes some additional patches and poo poo. You just need to watch out for and avoid mods/patches that use specific DLC (creations) you don’t own.

e: and yeah I’m presuming you want to roll your own. If you’re okay using someone else’s mod list, Wabbajack is excellent. The only catch is that you generally want to subscribe to Nexus premium to get it set up because of how many downloads are involved.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 30, 2024

theshim
May 1, 2012

Neat, I'll check those out. I'm expecting to download stuff over the course of a couple days because h*ck no I ain't giving Nexus my payment info, that's what I did last time. I had I think around ~120 mods running at the peak last time but I expect the number will likely be lower this go around (or maybe I'll get fully sucked into modding again and it'll end up even higher!)

Are there any mods in particular from the last few years (or really ever, honestly) that are particularly worth checking out these days?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

If you want something that's pretty much guaranteed to work, I suggesting checking out Wabbajack; it's a program that can download, install and configure various curated modlists for you. Chances are one of them will fit your tastes.

I'm liking the Nordic Souls one

theshim
May 1, 2012

lmao I tried wabbajack and spent most of today downloading a package

1 of the 487 files the download broke so now it's just sitting there uselessly, a+, 10/10

e: thankfully closing and reopening wabbajack fixed it

theshim fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 31, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man I wanted to play tempus maledictum but it's gone now

Edit: oh it's back now hell yeah.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Tried out the Nolvus modpack and it looks real nice and seems really well put together, but wow I do not the the VRAM to play that poo poo at 4K. Runs really well and then I run a bit further it tries to load more things and I run out VRAM and it becomes seconds per frame. I'm going to blame Nvidia.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

theshim posted:

lmao I tried wabbajack and spent most of today downloading a package

1 of the 487 files the download broke so now it's just sitting there uselessly, a+, 10/10

e: thankfully closing and reopening wabbajack fixed it

Sorry your package broke, it's okay, we can just cuddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Good news! I got my old PC working again (at least for the time being), so I don't need to transfer my Skyrim install (also got access to my Fallout 4 Magnum Opus install, which I have thanks to someone gifting me a month of Nexus Premium).

Bad news! Well, actually no. I was going to say, "I watched a videos on Skyrim mods, and now I want to do a new install with Beyond Bruma and Legacy of the Dragonborn and whatever else", but since my current plan is trying to get all the achievements, I dunno if I'm going be up for that when I'm done, especially since that would mean running through the same content again.

I have added one mod: Dovahkiin's Vault, to help me organize the various collectibles, because I was having trouble keeping track of everything in Lakeview Manor.

I was thinking about some kind of vehicle mod to make navigating to undiscovered waypoints easier. I remembered this one: Dwarven Motorcycle, but I was wondering if there was a better mount mod to check out.

As far as followers go, I only have Serana, but I was going to recruit a couple others, since I'm using AFT. However, I'm wondering if having too many followers is a bad idea. Apart from pathfinding and how many tight corridors there are in some of the caves, I'm also wondering if that's going to stunt my leveling if my companions beat the enemy before I do (not helped by the fact that I am, or was, trying to play a conjurer/necromancer character).

Is there a good method or trick to leveling Smithing? I'm trying not to resort to console commands, but I'm Level 33 and I've only got around 30-40 in Smithing. I'm using Ordinator, and you need 70 for Glass/Ebony, and 90 for Daedric/Dragonbone, so I want to level it rapidly and get materials to craft and refine weapons to optimal levels.