Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Speaking of music I did just immediately think of watching leftovers when Jim James played last episode. The unthank song was also another one hbo has used before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lmao. 2st live
https://x.com/rachelmillman/status/1749284680992485464?s=20

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I like the direction of this season so far. Occult stuff has always felt like a red herring in True Detective, allusions to supernatural evil when it is the depravity of humanity. The black spiral suggests some kind of primeval violence, as some characters even mention, but in the end it establishes the connection between the scientist Clark and Anna. I think violence against women and indigenous women in particular will be at the center of this season and my theory so far is that "she's awake" refers to an indigenous woman or women "waking up" from captivity in the station, kept there by Clark, perhaps as a procurer for the sinister pervert Bohemian Grove crowd (also recurring through the seasons) or because he has his own sick deal going. Maybe he got the tattoo too because she was forced to get it as part of the pseudo-Epstein sex gang, perhaps in response to her speaking out about the evil energy corporation, which would explain his emotional reaction after getting it. It's possible the scientists were all already naked because Clark was hosting some sex party for them and the woman or women caused an explosion or otherwise forced them out into the ice naked.

Season One of True Detective delved so deep into masculinity I enjoy how this season is putting that on its head. Jodie Foster's Danvers is a maternal figure and a wiser version of Woody Harrelson's highly paternalistic and macho Marty. Navarro has Cohle's dark pessimism, but instead of half-baked Ligotti, it's understandable anger at the racism and sexism she regularly experiences and witnesses. In Season One the connection between the detectives and the victims is this romantic notion of "keeping the bad men from the door" but for Danvers and Navarro (especially the latter) the connection to what happened with Anna is personal. I do think that the portrayal of all the adult male figures as either stupid or evil is a little ham-handed Danvers debases herself for some cheap sex but is still disappointed, natch but it does make it interesting for Peter: is he going to follow Danvers, his ex-stepmother-but-current-boss and become a true detective, or is he going to follow his biological-but-piece-of-poo poo father?

As someone from Oklahoma, I am loving the abundance of indigenous representation on TV right now. After Res Dogs and Echoes, it's cool to see how many shows are centering native stories.

e: I don't care about AI posters as that is literally just background poo poo. And yeah, the music sucks, but filling in for T Bone Burnett was always going to be a tall order

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gresh posted:

Welp just finished episode 2 and honestly I'm struggling to give a poo poo about anything that's happening.
:yeah: :smith:

This season is already 1/3rd over and none of this is hooking me. I was looking forward to it, too. I suppose the odd numbered seasons are the ones I enjoy and the even numbered seasons are the ones I don't.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The giant yarn doll in the bed inside the trailer was legit creepy and unwholesome in just the right way. It reminds me of those people who keep the corpses of their dead lovers or family members as pseudo-mummies.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m excited to watch them try to land this plane because lol

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah that’s where I’m at right now too. I’m just watching to see if they can at least navigate it into the water.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad they aren't drawing out the will-they-or-won't-they work together past two episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This season's not super great but I'm not gonna hold poo poo like this against the show. There was a blind item maybe a year or so ago that said that WarnerDisco was cutting the budget on shows midproduction, expecting them to limp forwards with a budget loss in the millions of dollars. Absolutely think that's what's happened here.

It's a classic case of a large company forcing their workers to make more with less.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

This season's not super great but I'm not gonna hold poo poo like this against the show. There was a blind item maybe a year or so ago that said that WarnerDisco was cutting the budget on shows midproduction, expecting them to limp forwards with a budget loss in the millions of dollars. Absolutely think that's what's happened here.

It's a classic case of a large company forcing their workers to make more with less.

I’m gonna blame them. It says 2st. No set designer got a second look at this? I mean it’s possible they were green screen posters and they filled it in later. Though that seems more difficult than just finding some random posters to hang up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The poster on the left is apparently a real k-pop group:

At least, the logo is for a real band. They still look like AI creations on the poster.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t think Travis is Rust’s dad because the timeline doesn’t make sense but loving great job by goon who called the relation at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Rob posted:

I’m gonna blame them. It says 2st. No set designer got a second look at this? I mean it’s possible they were green screen posters and they filled it in later. Though that seems more difficult than just finding some random posters to hang up.

They probably did see the issue and didn't have time to change -- this was, reportedly, a difficult shoot.

Or perhaps they just said they'd slap on some CGI in the edit to fix the work and that either got forgotten about or someone told them they didn't have the money anymore.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think it's ok so far, but just ok.
So much by the book, so much just kind of echoes from s1.

Oh, the protagonist is an rear end in a top hat to everyone, but that is because she has some tragic family story that we only know parts of? The protagonist has a fight with the boss over jurisdiction and does not want to give up the case? All the characters feel like characters you've seen before.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I laughed when the lady who sees force ghosts dismissed the other girl as mentally ill. I guess she does have proof hers are real now.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
You’re all overlooking the possibility that the guy was really proud of his Midjourney prompts and printed them out

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I liked the episode and could give a poo poo out ai posters. Lazy props aren't suppose to stunlock you this hard.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
True Detective: We Keep Our Bras On During Sex.

Also I realise the series has had all kinds of horrendous behaviour to establish antihero protagonists, but it might be too far to establish one as the kind of terrible boss who says "you stay up all night away from your family for the job. Anyway, I'm going to go set up a christmas tree and catch some dick."

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023
I was so excited when I heard there was a new TD season.

What a let down.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'll continue reserving the formation of an overall opinion.

But the callbacks don't even really work. For example, Travis being Rustin's dad. We just know Rustin is a southern boy through and through. He's probably never seen snow in his life.

I'd have maybe put in one spiral pattern, a touch different, on one body. And left it unclear if it's intentionally set down or some kind of scar after a scrape.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I laughed when the lady who sees force ghosts dismissed the other girl as mentally ill. I guess she does have proof hers are real now.

This is the most realistic part of the season so far. Not exactly on the same level but see also

Dad, collecting semi-automatic rifles because he's afraid the woke Soros mob will try to cancel him by lethal force any day now: You're seeing a what?! A therapist? What will the neighbours think when they learn I have a crazy son?

True Detective: Night Country: kpop adjacent

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 22, 2024

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Bright Bart posted:

I'll continue reserving the formation of an overall opinion.

But the callbacks don't even really work. For example, Travis being Rustin's dad. We just know Rustin is a southern boy through and through. He's probably never seen snow in his life.

I'd have maybe put in one spiral pattern, a touch different, on one body. And left it unclear if it's intentionally set down or some kind of scar after a scrape.

This is the most realistic part of the season so far. Not exactly on the same level but see also

Dad, collecting semi-automatic rifles because he's afraid the woke Soros mob will try to cancel him by lethal force any day now: You're seeing a what?! A therapist? What will the neighbours think when they learn I have a crazy son?

True Detective: Night Country: kpop adjacent

no, he grew up in alaska

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

mark immune posted:

no, he grew up in alaska

I just rewatched the first season wtf

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Sorry, what specifically were these references to s1? I've clearly missed them.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Panama Red posted:

I like the direction of this season so far. Occult stuff has always felt like a red herring in True Detective, allusions to supernatural evil when it is the depravity of humanity. The black spiral suggests some kind of primeval violence, as some characters even mention, but in the end it establishes the connection between the scientist Clark and Anna. I think violence against women and indigenous women in particular will be at the center of this season and my theory so far is that "she's awake" refers to an indigenous woman or women "waking up" from captivity in the station, kept there by Clark, perhaps as a procurer for the sinister pervert Bohemian Grove crowd (also recurring through the seasons) or because he has his own sick deal going. Maybe he got the tattoo too because she was forced to get it as part of the pseudo-Epstein sex gang, perhaps in response to her speaking out about the evil energy corporation, which would explain his emotional reaction after getting it. It's possible the scientists were all already naked because Clark was hosting some sex party for them and the woman or women caused an explosion or otherwise forced them out into the ice naked.

Season One of True Detective delved so deep into masculinity I enjoy how this season is putting that on its head. Jodie Foster's Danvers is a maternal figure and a wiser version of Woody Harrelson's highly paternalistic and macho Marty. Navarro has Cohle's dark pessimism, but instead of half-baked Ligotti, it's understandable anger at the racism and sexism she regularly experiences and witnesses. In Season One the connection between the detectives and the victims is this romantic notion of "keeping the bad men from the door" but for Danvers and Navarro (especially the latter) the connection to what happened with Anna is personal. I do think that the portrayal of all the adult male figures as either stupid or evil is a little ham-handed Danvers debases herself for some cheap sex but is still disappointed, natch but it does make it interesting for Peter: is he going to follow Danvers, his ex-stepmother-but-current-boss and become a true detective, or is he going to follow his biological-but-piece-of-poo poo father?

As someone from Oklahoma, I am loving the abundance of indigenous representation on TV right now. After Res Dogs and Echoes, it's cool to see how many shows are centering native stories.

e: I don't care about AI posters as that is literally just background poo poo. And yeah, the music sucks, but filling in for T Bone Burnett was always going to be a tall order

If they turn things around a bit and try to hew more to the spirit of season 1 I can see things shaking out this way but if not I'm calling it that tattooed guy lost it after Annie K died and is using his access to whatever special ancient bacteria the scientists were looking for as a way to somehow bring her back to some kind of life. Except he inadvertently exposed himself and the other guys at the research station and oops the bacteria makes you crazy.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

VagueRant posted:

Sorry, what specifically were these references to s1? I've clearly missed them.

Spiral pattersn, at least two being recognized as such and talked about as an ancient symbol whereas a third is in the background

Tuttle Industries

Rustin's dad

e: I love TD SE01 but even if this season is fine I wish the callbacks had been to SE02

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bit of a stretch of imagination from teacher guy about what exactly they stand to accomplish out there, seeing as how he started the convo implying he isn't qualified and has no connections to them. But I guess it's more about conveying the potential upside to the audience about why a small town would tolerate a bunch of wannabe euronecros practicing in their backyard for decades

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

The_Rob posted:

All the set designers were busy with Fiona Shaw's cabin. Or maybe this was done to make the soulless corporate housing even more cold.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In my opinion, I do think it helps this narrative to have the Marty-type figure be good at detectiving, while the Rust-ish figure is less so. It's one of the things that does kinda make S1 a bit more predictable, that Marty is kinda lovely as a detective right up until the end where he cracks the case. It makes Rust, i think, just seem like too good a guy (while the cut scene of how he loses his gf is unnecessary to the plot, i do think it spells out how Rust is absolutely a goober himself in a way that him relating it to Marty doesn't).

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
lmao

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I have a strong feeling that no matter what “explanation” they lean into in the end there’s going to be a lot of weird/spooky poo poo that makes absolutely zero sense in retrospect.

Cult magic explains some

Contaminated water / ancient microbe explains some

Weird radiation burst or whatever explains some

Collective / group psychosis explains some

Indigenous folklore explains some

But I can’t think of any way to unify everything we’ve seen so far and it’s almost certainly going to get a lot wilder.

TLDR:

TheBizzness posted:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
everybody keeps talking about Marty. Marty Byrde

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This really is leaning pretty blatantly into Dyatlov Pass down to specific details, haha. Mixed with the season 1 X-Files episode “Ice.”

VagueRant posted:

True Detective: We Keep Our Bras On During Sex.

Also I realise the series has had all kinds of horrendous behaviour to establish antihero protagonists, but it might be too far to establish one as the kind of terrible boss who says "you stay up all night away from your family for the job. Anyway, I'm going to go set up a christmas tree and catch some dick."

It’s funny, in interviews Jodi Foster talks about what a horrible, unlikeable person Danvers is, while Kali Reis talks about how Nevarro is really a softie who cares so much about everyone around her.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

We've got a reply from Issa López herself on this one. Sounds like some fun happened behind the scenes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mug of Glop posted:

We've got a reply from Issa López herself on this one. Sounds like some fun happened behind the scenes.

:negative:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lol, now that would be a bold direction for S5 to go in.

Was surprised to find out this season is only 6 episodes. Bummer! Not that ten is a magic number or anything, but these stories often live/die on the developing mystery and how that impacts the detectives. Best part of 1 & 3 were seeing events transpire and how it effected and changed the titular detectives over time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mug of Glop posted:

I wish they still did those Behind the Episode featurettes after each episode, because I’d love to hear a good 12 minutes from her and the lead set person describing those loving posters. Paul Stanley should sue for what they did to his face five times.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mug of Glop posted:

She should take the time to explain bc it’s really bad and distracting

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Odds are that it was the sort of thing you wouldn't disclose, at least right now. Probably "HBO didn't want to spend the money to secure the rights to the real posters we had up, and the only thing we could afford was cheap AI poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I would rather watch an explanation for those bad posters than whatever they're doing with this show.

I wish a better show was using this setting.