Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

The more you think about it, the sketchier this entire "unknown commander" thing gets. I know it's a part of Phantom lore since way back, but spotlighting it in a storyline like this just draws attention to how hosed up it is.

I admit I'm no expert in matters legal, but I'm under the impression that once the gavel has come down and a plea deal is finalized, it's done and they can't just go back and undo it, even if it becomes obvious that they let the criminal off way too lightly. Ref: the QAnon shaman, or that Canadian serial killer lady.

Reme running away would probably violate some term of his deal. but he never actually fled anywhere he got hit by a car before he could even leave the city so

idk need some legal expert to advise me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 7-9, 2005)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(October 13, 1918)

Gasoline Alley(September 11, 1919)

Little Nemo(March 8, 1908)

One more strip, and then I get to go a whole month without having to spoiler!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/16/52

Archie 5/2-4/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/6-8/76

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 23, 2024

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 2024: Such rampant normalcy is totally abnormal!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

My man is about to unlock the Ambien Demon lurking inside of the brain of a soap opera woman from the 1970s if he's gonna pull her right out of bed just as a sedative was working.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Poor old Tom and the hell of his own making. Though, I suppose, a hell of your own making is the whole point of Satanism. When will WE get to meet the Extreme Freaks?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for January 19, 1928! Get your tickets, because we're going to Cuba!

The cover is a collaboration between Fred G. Cooper and Conrado Walter Massaguer, and in a theme issue featuring a lot of Cuban artists, Massaguer is extremely prominent.

H. Portell Vila:

Botet:

Jaime Valls:

And just to mush it up a bit, Don Herold:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 22, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

And just to mush it up a bit, Don Herold:

"Not a cough in a carload" was an ad slogan for Old Gold cigarettes, hence the gag.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 18, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I use our physical calendar to post birthdays .. am I a plugger?

hexwren posted:

was hoping this would go

one

step

beyooooooond

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Disappointingly clean translation.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

algebra testes posted:

Disappointingly clean translation.

In the original they called him "good man", and the guy yelled "My good man, don't use a spirit level as a hammer!" but in Finnish it's not used in the "my good man, how do you do" sense but in the "good god, man, will you shut up?" sense.

So I took a creative liberty.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 14, 1961)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Medenmath posted:

That's pretty forward of Val to say that. Especially for fiction written in the late 50's/early 60's about a medieval prince.

I'm really enjoying Vintage Valiant. I had had no contact whatsoever with this character and Foster's work until I started to pay attention to these threads and I thank you for that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/21/04

Brenda Starr 6/26-28/52

Smokey Stover 5/3/59

Everyday Movies 3/3/37

"Do I need a rest! I'm thinking how I can maneuver a Winter vacation for my boss."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/24-26/42

Closer Than We Think! 5/3/59

Service quarters? Yeah, at that point it was still not unusual for a middle-class family to have at least a maid or cook.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 22, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Stupider Than I Remember It Being Because Of Course The Protagonists Cannot Do Any Actual Wrong Even When They're Doing Wrong

Gaslight and gatekeep the girlboss.

I'm not sure what Angelique did to deserve such a meanspirited and weirdly personal punishment. Kell's the one who made a deal with RL for her own financial gain, which she immediately reneged on to rat him out to the authorities. Angelique both doesn't know and doesn't care that Kell double-crossed her husband. I'd understand the extent of the Good Guys' actions if Angelique was targeting rabbits out of vengeance, but hers was purely just an impersonal decision made for the sake of profit.

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

D'Amoragon sounds way better than most of the dreck you can find in Comics Kingdom. :allears:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/24-26/42

Wait, wait, wait. Invisible Scarlet's breaking the 4th wall in 1942? Goddamn.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 6-11, 1983

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

“Neither of us can drive” instead of “I met you a month ago?”

Mary, you can just say no.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(10/29/1993)

(10/30/1993)

Ziggy

(7/28/1971)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

I'm not sure what Angelique did to deserve such a meanspirited and weirdly personal punishment. Kell's the one who made a deal with RL for her own financial gain, which she immediately reneged on to rat him out to the authorities. Angelique both doesn't know and doesn't care that Kell double-crossed her husband. I'd understand the extent of the Good Guys' actions if Angelique was targeting rabbits out of vengeance, but hers was purely just an impersonal decision made for the sake of profit.

because she is a Bad Person unlike Perfect Kell and her family. And she is married to Bad Dude who does the same poo poo Kell does. And she used to be a rabbit and is now a mouse which makes her bad too, I guess, especially when Bruno went from dog/wolf to sheep and everyone good accepts him.

I imagine Kell's company also hunts rabbits but, you know, Holbrook.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Awwwwwww

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Bad news from the future, fellas. Most of us would kill for a house a tenth that size, rotating or not.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

A tail that big in close proximity to a fireplace has GOT to be an accident waiting to happen. :supaburn:

Flash Gordon

Witch-Queen status: still awesome.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Service quarters? Yeah, at that point it was still not unusual for a middle-class family to have at least a maid or cook.

Pretty sure that "service" is in "repair, & storage of maintenance stuff", since it's down in the garage area.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Witch-Queen is having the time of her life in this wedding, and the day's not even over yet. :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Witch-Queen lives for drama and, hell, same.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Saoshyant posted:

That's pretty forward of Val to say that. Especially for fiction written in the late 50's/early 60's about a medieval prince.

I'm really enjoying Vintage Valiant. I had had no contact whatsoever with this character and Foster's work until I started to pay attention to these threads and I thank you for that.

that was already a pretty influential view in the 1950s

in popular media this went even further - characterizing Saladin as a noble, chivalrous opponent, and instead pinpointing fellow crusaders as plot villains, dates to Sir Walter Scott; by the 1950s this is mainstream enough to shape Hollywood adaptations of The Talisman

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cowslips Warren posted:

because she is a Bad Person unlike Perfect Kell and her family. And she is married to Bad Dude who does the same poo poo Kell does. And she used to be a rabbit and is now a mouse which makes her bad too, I guess, especially when Bruno went from dog/wolf to sheep and everyone good accepts him.

I imagine Kell's company also hunts rabbits but, you know, Holbrook.
I hate this comic but it's not like Angelique is completely blameless. She's a transrat who is actively targeting rabbits because she both hates them and they're abundant easy pickings. It's not as impersonal as it could be, and Kellco does intentionally avoid unethical business practices by exploring niche meat replacements and at least going for quality over quantity*.

I do not fundamentally have a problem with the hypocrisy and the shenanigans of the death industry as it applies to protagonist/antagonist morality. My issues are twofold:
1: Angelique's petty vendetta would be a lot more unforgivable and monstrous if the rabbits weren't xenophobic extremists who extremely gently caress You Got Mine about it. They're not as helpless as insects that Kellco scoops up, rabbits are afforded the rights of people and exercise their rights to self defense vigorously and often. That really muddies the waters a lot.
2: nobody respects Angelique's rights to self-identification and this is the one that personally hurts me a lot.

I'm tempted to pontificate and just go the gently caress on but the long and short of it is that I have, way more personal opinions on the matter of being true to oneself and part of that is extending the same sort of grace to people I don't like. I'm queer and I'm transfemme. If you give me your pronouns I will respect your pronouns. The cast and setting of K&K basically keeps saying "it's okay to not respect certain people's identities" and that's fundamentally because it keeps painting Angelique as confused or just outright self-hating and going down the wrong road and they want to help that, but she has never expressed any regret for that choice and as such it comes off as loving trying to fix the wrong problem as part of a bundle of problems. It's like calling all homophobes self-hating gays because a senator gets caught dogging. Do what you will to take her rear end down for committing industrialized rabbit genocide but not respecting her identity doesn't solve the greater systemic issues.

*yes they are still a death industry in a Hellworld but bear with me

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I want the witch queen to never be elaborated on, but to just continuously show up everywhere looking smug as hell

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Val would not say that.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Kevin and Kelly world is so confusing. there are rabbits working in a company that makes money by selling rabbit meat and these are the same or different rabbits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

I want the witch queen to never be elaborated on, but to just continuously show up everywhere looking smug as hell

I'm looking forward to the Sunday recap narrated from her point of view.