Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah there are countless very interesting stories of that. Oppenheimer was not one. A third of the movie should not have been about it

A third of the movie called Oppenheimer should not be about what happened to Oppenheimer? What is this argument, did you just want Nolan to show you more of him cucking his buddies or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Anybody seen some foreign movie called LFO? I saw a trailer for it and it looked cool

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
poo poo. Rented an HD version of Raiders of Atlantis on Prime because it's the only place it's available in a decent quality, and the audio commentary track is playing quietly over the whole thing just audible enough to make the movie completely unwatchable. Got a refund and am going for Alien from LA instead. I love me some Pyun, but I was more in the mood for some insane over the top fantastical action.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Willow Creek. I kinda thought "written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait" would mean it had more going on than it does. It's just a very straight found footage horror movie, extremely similar to other FF bigfoot movies I've seen. But at least those movies showed you a bigfoot. No bigfoot in Willow Creek

There is one very long scene of the two people in a tent reacting to noises that I thought was reasonably effective, but that's about it.

It's really annoying that multiple found footage bigfoot movies take the tack of padding the early parts with footage of bigfoot-themed attractions in the PNW and interviews with locals, but they never commit enough to make that entertaining by itself. Instead they always have the lovely scenes of characters having extremely naturalistic expository dialogue in cars, and establish that the characters are "aspiring" documentarians by having them be really lovely interviewers. And it's found footage so you have to shoot it the exact same was as every other found footage movie, shaky handheld camera. No you can't have nice footage of beautiful PNW scenery! It's found footage, which means none of these people ever have a steadicam or a rig to film out their car window! It has to be ugly!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve been talking about this in the horror thread. I think I’m gonna make my first feature a FF/doc horror film and that right there is the biggest no no for me.

The build up is not that interesting most of the time and doesn’t even do a great job at character building. It just pass time as we hang out with these usually awful bickering people.

The outwaters was like this, Hell House LLC was like this (I turned it off half way through)

My idea is to start it when the monster shows up. No build up. Just boom. Monster. Because to me if you’re going to film something you’re going to take your camera to film something worth filming.

Not random shots of you bumming around with your friends unless you’re making a YouTube vlog which typically they aren’t.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

However I’ll say I do think FF should be ugly. My go to example would be watch any disaster or 9/11 video. It should look like that. The shot composition is only as good as you can get while running away screaming

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've always thought it would be neat to have a found footage movie where people are there filming with professional equipment for a good reason that's entertaining on it's own merits. Like they're filming a concert or a convention or something, and then spooky poo poo goes down. Rec3 almost does this, with the wedding videographers, and even establishing that there's two cameras so they can have two simultaneous plotlines*. But then it just decides to stop being a found footage movie and be a normal movie.

*an absolutely genius idea it baffles me wasn't immediately stolen by a hundred other low budget found footage movies.

CelticPredator posted:

However I’ll say I do think FF should be ugly. My go to example would be watch any disaster or 9/11 video. It should look like that. The shot composition is only as good as you can get while running away screaming

I think Koji Shiraishi does it cleverly, where people freak out at the moment of scariness but outside of that the professional cameraman knows to keep everything in shot and get establishing footage and stuff. And even during the freakouts there's always one decent look at the scary thing.

It's like the Patterson-Gimlin Film itself. It's all shaky and lovely, but you've got that one moment where she turns around and you get a clear look at her. And that's what makes it. The one moment that gives you just enough that you know what's going on. You need that one good look.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You know what I'm really tired of in found footage, beyond the pissing around in the beginning? Endings where they all die because they were totally outmatched by the spooky situation and they never had a chance.

I wan't a found footage You're Next, where out of nowhere it turns out one of the randos is completely up to the challenge of the spooky situation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

my FF movie ends with everyone winning and killing the monster lol

Maybe you’ll like mine idk

It won’t look super pretty tho.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

my FF movie ends with everyone winning and killing the monster lol

Maybe you’ll like mine idk

It won’t look super pretty tho.

Only one way to find out!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's just a regular day in France. Whimsical chase music is piped into all public places regularly in case a wacky pedophilic chase is happening (Which according to the French National Institute of Wacky Chases is on average three times per day)

From everything I know about France that tracks. Actually probably on the low end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dawncloack posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am having trouble even googling about this, since all combinations are a bunch of normal words. So I get a to of unrelated stuff. I thought this was the closest thread to small/stupid questions about movies.

so here it goes:

Can it be that the same movie is released with subtle (or big!) differences, that I notice on rewatch? Or am I just going insane?

Two examples:

Blade Runner 2049

I have watched this movie twice, both times on planes.

In one scene, the antagonist, a female replicant, helps the protagonist by lobbing missiles to some marauders that go after him, from her home.

I distinctly remember that, on first watch, she did that from a tablet, while drinking wine on a couch.

I watched it again yesterday and she had visor glasses and was getting manicure done.

I thought it might be that the middle of the road muslim country airline might not want to show someone drinking, but then I realized that the first watch was on a plane of an airline of an even more conservative country.

second example: Trance

I watched it both times at home.

The first time, the painting the movie is centered on is Van Gogh's sunflowers.

The other, the Shipwreck of the Medusa. But there were still plenty of background references to the sunflowers. Pretty significant difference.

So, to answer my own question, yes, it happens (unless I AM going insane, do tell me if you think so), but what is it called? And why??

Thanks in advance.

this question is especially weird because trance isn't about either of those paintings, the central painting the heist is all about is witches in the air by goya

edit: there is a monologue/metaphor about storm on the sea of galilee, which has some similarities to wreck of the medusa i guess

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 22, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did France make a Napoleon movie? It's not like I want the soft treatment but between Waterloo and Napoleon (which I enjoyed elements of both of) I really want something that isn't peddling Anglo cliches.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Abel Gance Napoléon. It's the best movie on the man out there

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Appreciated cuz I don't know how anyone watches the British parts of Waterloo without puking a little bit in their mouths (maybe they're British in which case the taste of that reminds them of their local cuisine).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the parts where they were dying en masse, not so much the rest. Never forget Wellington did live long enough to see the Empire restored under Napoleon III.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

this question is especially weird because trance isn't about either of those paintings, the central painting the heist is all about is witches in the air by goya

edit: there is a monologue/metaphor about storm on the sea of galilee, which has some similarities to wreck of the medusa i guess

Lol I have gotten an object lesson on how fallible memory is.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is a splendid study on swearing in films

https://stephenfollows.com/whats-the-sweariest-movie/

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Those are some fun fuckin' results.

Watched A Taxi Driver and loved it. Went into it knowing it was based on a historic protest in South Korea, but it pulls off a tonal shift so well it's shocking. Literally begins with jangly guitar comedy sit-com music, you blink, and you're watching a tragedy where an army move in on massacring an unarmed crowd. It's a good watch.

Also MacGruber, which I couldn't believe they got Powers fuckin' Boothe for. Wonderfully horrid lead. Hope the TV show is this dumb, can't wait to check that out.

Fast forwarded through Salt Burn, don't feel like I missed much. Fun dance at the end. Appreciate flick's showing full hog. Seems like you're watching what very wealthy people assume will happen if they let the poors in.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Fast forwarded through Salt Burn, don't feel like I missed much.
is this something people actually do

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Cameo posted:

A third of the movie called Oppenheimer should not be about what happened to Oppenheimer? What is this argument, did you just want Nolan to show you more of him cucking his buddies or something

who didn't?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Martman posted:

is this something people actually do

It popped up as a free movie to see on my Prime homescreen and I heard the dance at the end was good so yeah. Didn't feel like committing a full two hours to it and it was almost as easy as looking up a youtube clips of it :shrug:.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

In the documentary The Day After Trinity, multiple ladies that worked at Los Alamos discuss how attractive and charming Oppenheimer was. There was definitely material there for more Oppy in action.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Did France make a Napoleon movie? It's not like I want the soft treatment but between Waterloo and Napoleon (which I enjoyed elements of both of) I really want something that isn't peddling Anglo cliches.

I remember watching the 2002 miniseries. It covers all the hits, avoids lionizing the man too much and is well made for a tv series but was honestly pretty boring iirc :shrug:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

A lot of these found footage complaints are avoided in Troll hunter (2010)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

A lot of these found footage complaints are avoided in Troll hunter (2010)

And all of Koji Shiraishi's movies. Which is especially impressive considering how many of his movies feature Lovecraftian horrors. Despite that, the characters find ways to fight back or try to escape, it's not a guaranteed squad wipe from the get go

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

You know what I'm really tired of in found footage, beyond the pissing around in the beginning? Endings where they all die because they were totally outmatched by the spooky situation and they never had a chance.

In my theoretical found footage film only a side character, that was previously a talking head interview giving background on the haunting, dies but does so as he's attempting to fistfight the chrysalis of an eldritch horror.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

edit: oh there's a thread for this movie. Just gonna make this post there.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

The Cameo posted:

The very dead guy who invented the capacity of nuclear war is not getting cancelled. My music teacher in high school still works and he hosed a couple of students and went to prison for it

Michael Siddon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: Nvm, I see there's an Oscar thread now.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 23, 2024

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Memories of Murder for the first time in a decade and lol, lmao, I forgot how many people got dropkicked, running dropkicked, or roundhouse kicked in the loving face in this absolutely-not-a-martial-arts movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Am I taking crazy pills or is the goon year end list gone? I was gonna use it to make a watchlist over the oscar noms cause lol oscars

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049769&pagenumber=6&perpage=40

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

Am I taking crazy pills or is the goon year end list gone? I was gonna use it to make a watchlist over the oscar noms cause lol oscars

Sorry I goodmined it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Goonmined.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBmeOzSzKoY

I had no idea this was a classic movie reference.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

Sorry I goodmined it

Welcome to goodmine home of the goodmine can i take ur order

Goonmind (aka the snyder thread)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1749934389109366984?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kojima living the dream meeting his cinema heroes is so endearing.