Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Splinter posted:

What kinda amp/PA setup should I be looking at if I want to run a laptop w/ Live and amp sim plugins rather than an actual amp when playing in a band setting. Garage w/ a live drummer is the max volume I'd be looking for, and portability is preferred (and we don't always have the drummer so sometimes we'll be playing at even lower volumes). Been feeling like experimenting with the tone and looping flexibility of a software setup when playing with other musicians. Also would just be nice to be able to get Tone at lower volumes when I don't want to turn my '65 DRRI up loud enough to get to its sweet spot. I know I could accomplish the latter by just picking up a cheapish modelling amp, but I do already have some nice amp plugins and there's still the looping aspect. I assume there's some all-in-one sort of solution for this where I could just run straight from my audio interface to the speaker (rather than getting a separate rack mount power amp + PA speaker or something like that), but I'm not sure where to start looking. Since the amp sims will cover all the guitar amp part of the signal (including cabinet sim), I'm assuming any sort of general PA speaker should be fine, yes?

You want a powered FRFR speaker. They're designed for this exact situation, albeit usually with a Kemper/axe fx etc. There's an absolute ton of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thank you, that points me in the right direction

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have a headrush 108, its super loud and you can plug anything into it, albeit a little boomy but that can be mitigated with EQ.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Picked up a demo model Vox AC10C1 from sweetwater on the cheap and this thing is great. Really nice chimney cleans all the way through to a great EL84 grind that just rips with P90s. Cool little practice amp. It’s pretty drat loud but the master volume works well

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Just dropping in to say that the UA Dream '65 pedal sounds real, real good.

e: I wish I could do this without having the cops called on me
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KuTyNXCR6A

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 10, 2022

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

A few years ago I sold my Friedman Runt - it was a great amp, but really it was too expensive for me at the time to just sit there for long periods not being played. I tried out a Vox AC15 and found that to be a pretty decent amp but ultimately ended up focused on playing bass for the last couple of years which has been quite enjoyable. My guitar however, has sat essentially unplayed. I feel the need to equip myself to play it again, and so get a guitar amp and the minimum gear required to achieve what I want.

Although like most I like to futz around with jazz, blues, etc. - my main jam is sleazy 80's hard rock and heavy metal: Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Maiden, big four Thrash, etc. etc.

My gut feeling is that a Friedman Pink Taco v2 with a plate reverb would get me pretty much all of that and need nothing else, but that's an EXPENSIVE piece of kit. As such, I'm thinking of lowering my expectations to a Katana 100 for a quarter of the price. How much of a stupid idea is that?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Very.

One of those lunchbox 5150s would prob suit your needs.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I had a 6505MH and its a ripper for sure but also the katana would be fine I think. Try to demo one if you can and see if it gets the tones you want.

Now, if you really want 80s sleaze you'll have to dive headfirst into vintage rack gear. Sure, every last dollar you have will go to your amp tech to keep it running but is it really a Mr Big solo if its not played through an ADA MP1? I dont think so.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean the ultimate 80s sleeze amp right now has gotta be the Marshall Studio Classic (Mini JCM800) - but it's gonna run you a fair bit more than the Katana. Probably less than the Friedman though.

Alternatively you could look at a couple Laney amps. I had a GH100 for a while, which while needing a tube screamer to get modern high gain sounds, absolutely slapped for classic rock/metal.

I love my katana, but I still don't feel modellers have managed to nail the crunch sound yet. Wonderful cleans and high gain noises though.

Edit: Orange rockerverb 15 could also get you where you wanna be.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I have a Laney GH50L that I am starting to like more than some much more valuable amps. They’re a good deal, sound good without a lot of tweaking needed.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I randomly just remembered the time my old 5150 started sounding really funky. I took the preamp tube cover off the back and immediately spotted the problem. Dat ain't right. That 12AX7 must have sprung a leak and got some air into it or something but purple glow = bad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

looks cool though

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Gorgar posted:

I have a Laney GH50L that I am starting to like more than some much more valuable amps. They’re a good deal, sound good without a lot of tweaking needed.

I ha the VH100 which is basically the two channel version and those amps do own. Noisy though . They’re basically Marshall’s with added gravel.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah I had a GH100 before trading it for my Dark Terror, and with a tubescreamer in front it sounded amazing.. until you'd stop playing.

NS-2 sorted that out pretty well though. 5150s were the same though in my experience so get the noise suppressor and shred on IMO.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
We run a local charity music festival and I basically get to sit there and talk gear for 8hrs a day with the bands. It’s not a bad volunteer gig.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I went to the store today to try amps. I need something with a master volume so that eliminates a lot of Fenders, but two amps I tried stuck out - Fender Bassbreaker 15 and the Marshall DSL40CR. I tried the DSL20 but it only had two channels instead of the 40's four, and I just didn't love it. Even though it's less powerful it doesn't have MV knovs and it didn't scale down as nicely as the 40 did.

Anyone own the DSL40CR or Bassbreaker 15? Also tried the AC15 which I liked a lot but I'm looking for something with an FX loop.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

AndrewP posted:

I went to the store today to try amps. I need something with a master volume so that eliminates a lot of Fenders, but two amps I tried stuck out - Fender Bassbreaker 15 and the Marshall DSL40CR. I tried the DSL20 but it only had two channels instead of the 40's four, and I just didn't love it. Even though it's less powerful it doesn't have MV knovs and it didn't scale down as nicely as the 40 did.

Anyone own the DSL40CR or Bassbreaker 15? Also tried the AC15 which I liked a lot but I'm looking for something with an FX loop.

can you write a little about yourself as a player? hobbyist? gigging guitarist? record any? what styles or genres? any other key pieces of your rig you already use that are important?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just a basement player that occasionally jams, no gigs. Blues, country, rock. I have an HX Stomp that is great for headphone playing, but I'm tired of headphone playing all the time and I've never had a tube amp before.

100% do not need a loud amp, this is all about me wanting a tube amp for once. The 15 and 40 watt amps I tried at the store sounded good to me with the master volume turned down, but I definitely need to try some very low wattage amps. Also want something with an effects loop so I can run the Stomp through it to use its power amp and speaker sometimes.

Bottom line - I want a tube amp that has a nice full sound at bedroom levels. Easy, right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

One of my friends has the DSL40CR and loves it, his whole thing was wanting Marshall tone at a reasonable package for a hobbyist at home player. He keeps it on the 20W setting and has a good time with it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

AndrewP posted:

Just a basement player that occasionally jams, no gigs. Blues, country, rock. I have an HX Stomp that is great for headphone playing, but I'm tired of headphone playing all the time and I've never had a tube amp before.

100% do not need a loud amp, this is all about me wanting a tube amp for once. The 15 and 40 watt amps I tried at the store sounded good to me with the master volume turned down, but I definitely need to try some very low wattage amps. Also want something with an effects loop so I can run the Stomp through it to use its power amp and speaker sometimes.

Bottom line - I want a tube amp that has a nice full sound at bedroom levels. Easy, right?

Obviously hard to check out in person, but the monoprice stage right 15w is usually about $260, has a 1 watt attenuator switch built in, spring reverb, and it has an effects loop.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the recs! I went to another music shop to play a few more amps. Tried a Vox AC4C1 - what a cool little amp. Very distinctive Vox tone, but no effects loop unfortunately. Same with the AC10. The Bassbreaker 15 remains cool, and I tried a Marshall Origin 50 that has a great tone but it's not easy to get it from the kinds of volumes I'll be at.

But then the salesman showed me a used Blackstar HT5 and... yup, that's my amp. 5 watts seems ideal for my purposes and I thought the drive sounded great. Almost walked out with it but a quick check online showed that their price was too high, and there's also an MkII version for around $500 that has a 12 inch speaker and has a few more bells and whistles.

I tried it next to a Marshall DSL20 and man, I just do not enjoy that amp. The high gain channel sounds pretty bad to my ears. It's possible that it rounds out as you push it louder I guess.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

If the master volume is limiting your choices you could always buy whichever amp you like the sound of and factor in $180 for a weber minimass.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Was going to say for all practical purposes 5w gets you edge of breakup at reasonable volume. Beyond that … eek.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

Thanks for the recs! I went to another music shop to play a few more amps. Tried a Vox AC4C1 - what a cool little amp. Very distinctive Vox tone, but no effects loop unfortunately. Same with the AC10. The Bassbreaker 15 remains cool, and I tried a Marshall Origin 50 that has a great tone but it's not easy to get it from the kinds of volumes I'll be at.

But then the salesman showed me a used Blackstar HT5 and... yup, that's my amp. 5 watts seems ideal for my purposes and I thought the drive sounded great. Almost walked out with it but a quick check online showed that their price was too high, and there's also an MkII version for around $500 that has a 12 inch speaker and has a few more bells and whistles.

I tried it next to a Marshall DSL20 and man, I just do not enjoy that amp. The high gain channel sounds pretty bad to my ears. It's possible that it rounds out as you push it louder I guess.
When I switched to modelers my HT-5H was one piece of gear I could not part with. I kept it and two of the 1x10" closed-back Blackstar Celestion-loaded cabs. It''s a fabulous little guy with a wide range of tones and plenty of gain. You will adore it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I suspect I'm the only one left in the thread that still uses big tube amps. EL34s, 6L6s, 6550s. I've tried the little tube amps but I just don't like the sound of a little tube being pushed. Big tubes have a sort of a heft to them that I really like.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If I had the choice again I'd pick the Dark Terror I traded my Laney GH100 for every time - but you're right, there is a difference in the nature of the sound beyond just volume level between a dialed EL84 and a big 34/6L6. Maybe it's just the sheer volume of air being moved or something beyond that. It's just not practical for me to fire up a 100w tube amp outside of a rehearsal space and without ear plugs, even with a big house in the suburbs.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Gorgar posted:

I suspect I'm the only one left in the thread that still uses big tube amps. EL34s, 6L6s, 6550s. I've tried the little tube amps but I just don't like the sound of a little tube being pushed. Big tubes have a sort of a heft to them that I really like.

I run a JCM800 and an AD30. Big tubes ain't dead.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Big tube supremacy. :hfive:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just me but I think a KT88 AC30 probably wouldn't sound good.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Gorgar posted:

'66 Pro Reverb here

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

This just came up on Craigslist lol

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Hell yeah

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just got a benson monarch +. Power scaling is ridiculously good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Milosh posted:

Yessssssssssssss love Bensons.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Milosh posted:

Those are so nice.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Armacham posted:

This just came up on Craigslist lol

I think Derek Trucks still uses those. Big, heavy, and LOUD, so very loud. Not to mention there's a version that'll put out ~135 watts with a few tweaks.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I run a Mesa Triple Crown 100 head. It’s got power scaling but the master volume is fine even at full power. Big amps just have a feel you can’t get with less wattage. Anything under 50 watts and it gets too squishy for my taste

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea that's headroom. That's what it does.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've been working on a big holiday project about how and why the Marshall JVM is good actually.

Plenty of online nerds hate it. Marshall nerds especially hate this amp. I decided I would try to prove them wrong by recording a bunch of music and ranting at them.

So here's a long-form video where I talk about how much I love this amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1PoTB5-m7Y

But if you don't want to hear a nerd rant about an amp for half an hour and instead wanna hear how kickass the amp can sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qF04PbRps

There's all the bits of music I recorded for it.

ENJOY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hell yeah, amps rule. I didn't know that people disliked the JVM, like yeah, it isn't a JCM800 or JTM45 or JMP or whatever but I wasn't aware it was looked down on. They're stupidly versatile and are very capable of all the classic Marshall sounds.

Honestly for the tube offerings Marshall is in a really good place with the reissues, JVM, Origin and DSL series. And I'm not even stupidly keen on the Marshall sound.