Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
can't we just rename Australia and then make no substantive changes? like everything else we do to acknowledge traditional owners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
new holland baby

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

GoldStandardConure posted:

abolish australia and celebrate australian abolishment day in summer

wish they'd abolish your posting

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

buildmorefarms posted:

wish they'd abolish your posting

so do i

yet here we are

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Non Compos Mentis posted:

new holland baby

hollie hollie hollie

hey hey hey

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Bill Posters posted:

It's gotta be in summer. Changing the date is a hard enough sell without taking away an opportunity to day drink in the sun.

Just send it back to what it was pre 1994, last Monday or Friday of January or whatever it was. Complete no brainer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

this is the most pathetic poo poo lmao

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
what the gently caress is drakes

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

Changing the day to May 8 is the best idea ever and should occur.

Unless something horrible happened on May 8th in Australia.

I haven't checked.

Mayeight
:hmmyes:

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

what the gently caress is drakes

home brand IGA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kirbysuperstar posted:

this is the most pathetic poo poo lmao

I was in Coles yesterday and all their Australia Day merch had already been relegated to the endcaps down the very back on the store and marked down to half price or better.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I went into my local today, there was a bunch of mini flags around, but the other Australia day crap was in the endcaps. I think this is another murdock rag take that wokeness crap attempt

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
abolish all public holidays and instead legislate 4 day work week

e: this is another attack on penalty rates

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

abolish all public holidays and instead legislate 4 day work week

e: this is another attack on penalty rates

counterpoint: keep all public holidays and legislate a 4 day work week anyway

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

It's gotta be in summer. Changing the date is a hard enough sell without taking away an opportunity to day drink in the sun.

This is correct and I'm surprised by how little I see it raised in these discussions.

It's unfortunate that January 26 really is in a sort of ideal spot on the calendar. The only better spot would be about two weeks earlier, to bookend the Christmas/NY/first 2 weeks of January holiday that most of the country takes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

This is correct and I'm surprised by how little I see it raised in these discussions.

It's unfortunate that January 26 really is in a sort of ideal spot on the calendar. The only better spot would be about two weeks earlier, to bookend the Christmas/NY/first 2 weeks of January holiday that most of the country takes.

Federation week. Everyone fucks off work and goes to the beach from 1-7 January (because it is the closest thing to a safe space from the city-sized fire-cyclones that will ravage the country in our climate apocalypse)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I like the idea of federation week

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/coles-supermarket-slammed-for-lunar-new-year-display-being-triple-size-of-australia-day-range-c-13263711

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

The bloody Chinese have a bigger display than the australia tat that was probably made in China

Scoff.gif

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm OK with the supermarket duopoly being the Australia Day battleground, it's extremely Australian

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/coles-supermarket-slammed-for-lunar-new-year-display-being-triple-size-of-australia-day-range-c-13263711

The bloody Chinese have a bigger display than the australia tat that was probably made in China

Scoff.gif

if its anything like the Luna New Year display at my local coles, its because they cram anything thats vaguely asian looking into the display.

Luna new year? Just slap some red lanterns next to the pallet of rice and call it done.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

so exotic, it's like i'm really there

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Scoff.gif

Good.

Lunar New Year is awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

if its anything like the Luna New Year display at my local coles, its because they cram anything thats vaguely asian looking into the display.

Luna new year? Just slap some red lanterns next to the pallet of rice and call it done.

Tbf a lot of Asian countries celebrate lunar/lunisolar new year at the same time (a small number celebrate on a different day) even though here in the west it's usually just referred to as Chinese New Year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_New_Year

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tbf a lot of Asian countries celebrate lunar/lunisolar new year at the same time (a small number celebrate on a different day) even though here in the west it's usually just referred to as Chinese New Year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_New_Year

Yeah I understand that, it just seems a bit odd to wheel out the same bags of rice and pallets of Cup Noodles you have all year around and go 'Lunar Mew Year Products!'

Celebrate the new year with 5kg of basmati rice! Oh boy!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Second draft of the Super-Highway thing. No massive changes, just a bit tighter.

Comstar posted:

Now please do Melbourne.

Part of the point of the formula of following the trainlines, motorways, and waterways (and edges of golf courses), is that anyone can take it and do it anywhere. But yes, if it gets up and works in Sydney then other cities will hopefully want one too, in which case I'd be more than happy to help.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I think you should think bigger, do an Australian one

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Word on the street is Scotty is about to throw in the towel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He already has. Off to defence sector Valhalla.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Rougey posted:

Word on the street is Scotty is about to throw in the towel.

part of the LNY celebrations

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Yeah I understand that, it just seems a bit odd to wheel out the same bags of rice and pallets of Cup Noodles you have all year around and go 'Lunar Mew Year Products!'

Celebrate the new year with 5kg of basmati rice! Oh boy!

Would like to see what new efficiencies the algorithm has gleaned from watching true Aussies burst into tears at the lunar new year stand

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Changing it to may 8 would be the single most embarassing thing this country has ever done. It's the kind of thing people who wrote their religion as Jedi on the census would do

gently caress yeah it would be cringe and daggy and that's exactly why we should do it.

Imagine dropping that tidbit on anyone from overseas each year.

:australia: :) This is our national public holiday! It doesn't represent anything in terms of the calendar, it's just on May 8 because it sounds like Mate and we thought that would be cool.

:911: :) Haha good one, I've heard about these Aussie pranks.

:911: :) *Googles*

:911: :) What the christ.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Bye Scotty

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Whats the significance of may 8? I googled but alot of things have happened on may 8

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Whats the significance of may 8? I googled but alot of things have happened on may 8

mate

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we should call our national day "holiday mc holidayface!!"

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
M8y mcmay8t day

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I know its m8, i just thought there was some horrible atrocity on that day that people were referencing

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

I know its m8, i just thought there was some horrible atrocity on that day that people were referencing

there will be.

there will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's World Donkey Day
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/may/08/