Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1749253898890514465

Content: Ukraine develops the ultimate weapon that can be stopped by no defense. Not gonna lie, I want to see this thing actually score a kill.

Piotr sighed as he flew his katana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BATTERY PACK INTO THE FPV CONTROLLER

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
now attach a second one and have it spin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"He who pulls the sword from the drone shall be rightly crowned king."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/27055

quote:

Ukraine's New Drone Strategy Helped By 'Open Goal' In Russian Air Defenses

Kremlin spokesmen accuse Kyiv of inhumane attacks where damage was slight while Ukraine air force spokesman said Russian air defenses are like Swiss cheese and promised more raids.

Content: Ukraine bombs important facilities in Russia and goes "lmao, good luck stopping us" as they declare more such strikes will happen.

From what I understand, the Ust-Luga terminal is a pretty big blow to Russian oil exports on one end of the country, how bad news would it be for the Russian economy if the Ukrainians blasted every terminal they could each in Western Russia? Do they have enough customers in the east to compensate?

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1749465770717847791

quote:

The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine will submit proposals to the National Security and Defense Council for the consideration of a 50-year prohibition on any transportation connections with Russia, including automotive, railway, aviation, and maritime.

On the one hand, some "gently caress you, Russia"-legislation feels good. On the other hand I wonder how much it would actually impact Russia post-war.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/27031

Apparently a good number of countries are signing individual agreements to support and defend Ukraine, getting around the issue of veto shitheads like Orban and Fico stopping communal efforts from the EU, NATO, etc.

Content: Ukraine develops the ultimate weapon that can be stopped by no defense. Not gonna lie, I want to see this thing actually score a kill.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/hellfire-missiles-al-qaeda-leader-al-zawahiri-minimal/story?id=87885003

Just saying they killed Al Zawahiri with a sword bomb.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the concept is sound but I have doubts about a quad drone being able to put enough kinetic energy behind it to be reliable, especially with the long torque arm. Low mass, relatively low speed, weird impact angles.

Whereas sword missile is a 100lb 6' wide apple corer dropping on you at 1,000 MPH

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The future of warfare is a fleet of weather balloons dropping telephone poles with fins as FPV drones from the edge of the atmosphere

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

PurpleXVI posted:

On the one hand, some "gently caress you, Russia"-legislation feels good. On the other hand I wonder how much it would actually impact Russia post-war.

It honestly might be less about hurting Russia and more about protecting themselves from ending up bound by economic leverage. It's a sizeable economy that's right there, and left to their own devices companies would probably start trading with it again not too long after the war. This way it adds the inefficiency of lacking direct connections, which makes trade with the EU or whoever else more appealing and hopefully integrates Ukraine more into economies run by governments it trusts not to invade them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah basically cutting off ""commercial"" access to the warm water port.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bennyfactor posted:

Just in case anybody else had problems reading this map like I did, you may find the image below instructive.

Thank you for this. One of my favorite jokes in a very funny series.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

the concept is sound but I have doubts about a quad drone being able to put enough kinetic energy behind it to be reliable, especially with the long torque arm. Low mass, relatively low speed, weird impact angles.

Whereas sword missile is a 100lb 6' wide apple corer dropping on you at 1,000 MPH

thats why the sword needs to be impossibly sharp!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Bargain bin knife missle, smh my head

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

how bad news would it be for the Russian economy if the Ukrainians blasted every terminal they could each in Western Russia? Do they have enough customers in the east to compensate?

Russia flatly does not have the capacity to ship oil or gas overland to the east. When the boycotts/price caps were instituted, they floated plans with China to build such capacity, but the timescales were ~decade or something, and I don't think much came out of it. Right now, China gets oil from Russia by having oil tankers travel to the Baltic to fetch it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Tuna-Fish posted:

Russia flatly does not have the capacity to ship oil or gas overland to the east. When the boycotts/price caps were instituted, they floated plans with China to build such capacity, but the timescales were ~decade or something, and I don't think much came out of it. Right now, China gets oil from Russia by having oil tankers travel to the Baltic to fetch it.

So Ust-Luga's terminal getting put out of functioning for a bit is, in fact, a big deal?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

So Ust-Luga's terminal getting put out of functioning for a bit is, in fact, a big deal?

We have no idea how extensive the damage is. IIRC Ust-Luga can serve more than one ship at a time, and it's possible that only a portion of it was damaged. In any case, Russia has other oil export terminals in the Baltic, but I think their capacity is limited now that they no longer have full use of the ones that are in Latvia, Lithuania and Germany.

I believe it's a hit that Russia felt, but not necessarily a crippling blow.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The other terminals aren't much further away, Russia will need to dedicate anti air defences around them.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Some stories I read claimed Ust-Luga's AA was positioned to repel attacks from NATO countries (north and west) but not from Ukraine (south).

PurpleXVI posted:

If they attach a Saints Row-ish dildo bat then we are ready to go. Doubly so if it is rainbow colored.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

shame on an IGA posted:

It’s a katana, so it doubles as an anti-tank weapon

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It's tape!

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The Door Frame posted:

The future of warfare is a fleet of weather balloons dropping telephone poles with fins as FPV drones from the edge of the atmosphere
Low budget Rods from God concept: Rods from Todd

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jimmy Smuts posted:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/22/russian-exiles-unlikely-to-return

quote:

‘I no longer have a country’: Antiwar Russians who fled unlikely to return

According to estimates, up to one million out of some 144 million Russians left the country in 2022 and 2023 in what has been the largest brain drain since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Assuming those are mostly young people of at least reasonable means(young because that seems to be most connected to feeling the war is bullshit, reasonable means because they're able to leave at all), and about 0.7% of the population, that feels like an absurd blow to Russia's economy, both short and long term.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jimmy Smuts posted:

…because the edge of the atmosphere could also be referred to as the rim of the sky?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

The Lone Badger posted:

…because the edge of the atmosphere could also be referred to as the rim of the sky?

And here I thought the Rods from God concept had faded into oblivion

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Discussion Quorum posted:

budgetary considerations reduced it to a conceptually similar but less ambitious program with less mass and velocity known as "Daggerfall".

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

tiaz posted:

budgetary considerations reduced it to a conceptually similar but less ambitious program with less mass and velocity known as "Daggerfall".

a lend-lease C-130 flying at 20,000 feet over the front lines with a cargo hold filled to the top with loose combat knives and bricks opens the back hatch and tilts nose-up

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/27076

quote:

‘We Did a Little Magic’ – How Ukrainian Partisans Seduced Russian Soldiers Then Poisoned Them

Partisans in Mariupol told Kyiv Post that Russian soldiers fell for a ruse involving some unpleasant vodka and a fake social media account for an "imaginary charming woman."

Russian soldiers being thirsty in both senses ends badly for them. I love knowing there are still partisans fighting the good fight in the occupied territories.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Discussion Quorum posted:

Not until they're "torn from the heavens".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

This "airdropped pointy metal sticks" discussion feels like another way this war resembles WW1.

See also the Lazy Dog airdropped projectiles from the Korean and Vietnam wars.

E:

quote:

Lazy Dog projectiles could be dropped from almost any kind of flying vehicle. They could be hurled from buckets, dropped by hand, thrown in their small paper shipping bags, or placed in a Mark 44 cluster adaptor—a simple hinged casing with bins built in to hold the projectiles, opened by a mechanical time delay fuze.
(...)

Regardless of how they were released into the air, each "Lazy Dog" projectile would develop an enormous amount of kinetic energy as it fell, penetrating nearly any material upon hitting the ground.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Computer viking posted:

This "airdropped pointy metal sticks" discussion feels like another way this war resembles WW1.

See also the Lazy Dog airdropped projectiles from the Korean and Vietnam wars.

E:

Lazy dogs were just .50 cal bullets with some wings, it's kinda wild

You need a ton of big rear end bombers to drop enough to be effective I'm guessing

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Nine times out of ten, it's an electric razor, but every once in a while... it's a lazy dog. Of course it's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a lazy dog... always use the indefinite article "a lazy dog", never "your lazy dog".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Was there a "Quick Brown Fox" munition?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A.o.D. posted:

Was there a "Quick Brown Fox" munition?

It was canceled because DARPA wasn't able to figure out the brown note.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Those dudes that totally attached the chutes to the hummers, (honest) just needed to get Lockmart in on it.

They weren't loving around, it was a 'technology demonstrator'.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wrong thread

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orban testing everyone's patience again. I think this time he's going over the edge.

https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1749738846692974970

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

tiaz posted:

Hammerfell is traditionally Russian territory

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Orban testing everyone's patience again. I think this time he's going over the edge.

https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1749738846692974970

I still maintain that we should cut a deal with Putin where he gets Hungary and he fucks on out of Ukraine for perpetuity, as long as he promises that Orban goes out of a window on day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Hammerfell is traditionally Russian territory

I thought there was a big GDI base there.