Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

65 is a reasonable highway speed, plus a little extra for passing or emergencies.

If other places have speed limits of 80 mph, that’s hosed up. That’s too fast.

Based on what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

Based on what?

reasonableness.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gripweed posted:

I can buy that. Your mood effects your health, and your surroundings effect your mood. And your setting is always improved by adding a load of crystals.

Placebo effect is real, yeah. I just ordered a tiger's eye gemstone orb, so I can look at it and ponder, hold it while thinking about working out, maybe even during work outs.

I believe it will improve my health and surroundings, so it will.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

reasonableness.

Seems like if you're going to declare a national speed limit it should be based on something other than being coincidentally exactly how fast you like to drive on your work commute. You're just the exact stereotype of "Everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac because I always drive perfectly"

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Green Day's best album is Nimrod because it has their best song (Hitchin' a Ride) and their best ballad (Redundant).

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Atticus_1354 posted:

Seems like if you're going to declare a national speed limit it should be based on something other than being coincidentally exactly how fast you like to drive on your work commute. You're just the exact stereotype of "Everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac because I always drive perfectly"

Research consistently finds that risk of fatal accidents correlates exponentially with average speed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

I don't take the highway to work. And when I do get on the highway, I'm pretty much always at 80.

I think you're substituting a stereotype for me, my friend. You've got some learning and growing to do.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Anyone that goes less than 75 on a highway or interstate has lost all concept of what those avenues of transit are meant for.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Set an upper speed limit of 140 mph but as each speed causes a fatality, that speed can no longer be driven.

Ex: a 19 year old was in the news recently for driving 100 mph and causing an accident that killed herself and two brothers in another vehicle. Ergo people shouldn’t drive 100 mph. Wrap it up speedometerailures

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ommin posted:

Anyone that goes less than 75 on a highway or interstate has lost all concept of what those avenues of transit are meant for.

I like not being pulled over for reckless driving

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

thetoughestbean posted:

I like not being pulled over for reckless driving
What's reckless? That's the average speed limit around here and some places up to 80. My car rides so smooth that on a clear day with little traffic, I can hit 90 before I even feel like I'm going fast. I haven't had a speeding ticket or any other traffic violation in 25 years because I understand safety and control.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ommin posted:

I can hit 90 before I even feel like I'm going fast.

As in you accelerate extremely slowly? That's a whole different issue!!

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I dunno, you never get that driving? You get on a long flat stretch without much to look at but the road and then you come up on something that gives you a perspective of speed and you are going much faster than you felt but not feeling out of control or unsafe until that moment of realization.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I remember once hearing a story about how Drew Carrey cured his depression by growing his hair out and driving 100 in Montana during that brief period in the 90s when they didn't have a numerical speed limit.

I tried driving 90 in Utah where the speed limit is 80 and it did not cure my depression unfortunately. I guess I needed that extra 10 MPH.

Was a bit scary since private trucks without a limiter were also going 90+, weaving around trucks that were going 60. But also you'd only see other cars every 10 minutes or so and it was the middle of the day.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ommin posted:

What's reckless? That's the average speed limit around here and some places up to 80. My car rides so smooth that on a clear day with little traffic, I can hit 90 before I even feel like I'm going fast. I haven't had a speeding ticket or any other traffic violation in 25 years because I understand safety and control.

Where’s here

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Where’s here
Arkansas

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ommin posted:

Arkansas

I got pulled over for driving that fast once in Minnesota. Tried to stay near the speed limit since

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Fagtastic posted:

Research consistently finds that risk of fatal accidents correlates exponentially with average speed.

Sounds like we should go back to 55mph national average then. Instead of Gripweeds highly specific "what I feel is reasonable" speed limit.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Where’s here

Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

so not arkansas

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anything faster than a horse's gallop is against god's will

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

so not arkansas

Their post was poorly worded they said 75mph is average, which is true for Arkansas rural highways. Some places being 80 was a separate statement.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turns out the USA is a big place and some states have different speed limits

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Runa posted:

Turns out the USA is a big place and some states have different speed limits

hosed up. Everything should be like my home town

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Rick posted:

Was a bit scary since private trucks without a limiter were also going 90+, weaving around trucks that were going 60.

Turns out the way I played American Truck Simulator was a little more realistic than I thought

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

In some places (within 100 miles of the ocean), it's considered rude to NOT break the highway speedlimit by at least 10mph.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I think saying "I've not had a traffic violation or ticket or insurance claim" isn't implicitly indicative of driving skill except in a weak sense because I've noticed that a lot of bad drivers do not in fact get into scrapes, they leave behind a lot of scrapes. in addition driving proficiency can vary with weather, time, and route (and locale), so i would expect even good drivers to have xyz insurance claims, tickets, whatever over a long timeframe

im not saying anyone is a bad driver, or a good driver, or anything about the speed limit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

Sounds like we should go back to 55mph national average then. Instead of Gripweeds highly specific "what I feel is reasonable" speed limit.

We can have a 55mph speed limit and 75mph limiters built into all cars. These aren’t mutually exclusive ideas, I’m not sure why you’re so angry about this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Considering this is the thread to find ways to garner strong reactions with innocuous opinions, instead of asking why it worked I think you should just take note that it did.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The instant I turn 65 I am going to exercise my God-given right as an old person to drive on the freeway at exactly 48 miles per hour with my left turn signal constantly in the on position.

I will do this after having exercised my God-given right to disable any limiters that the Gripweeds of the world have imposed upon my personally sovereign vehicle.

I will also have a bumper sticker that reads DON'T TREAD ON ME LIKE I TROD ON YOUR HONOR STUDENT.

Basically I intend to become an energy vampire that feeds off the anger of as many different sorts of driver as possible and thus I will live forever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

American high schools should make shop class and home ec mandatory again but do so for all students regardless of gender.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Runa posted:

American high schools should make shop class and home ec mandatory again but do so for all students regardless of gender.

I like this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Runa posted:

This is how it was in my school and I'm not sure why it's different elsewhere.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol, 55

lmao

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Runa posted:

Agreed. I use skills from my middle school home ec and wood shop classes far more frequently than most of the skills I picked up in my high school classes.

Seriously useful stuff. Bundle in some basic financial literacy and you could have a whole year that’s just “learn how to function independently as an adult.”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Runa posted:

I was actually thinking on similar lines the other day. Not shop, but mandatory home ec. And those home ec classes should focus on baking. Every student who graduates high school should have the skills necessary to work as a patissiere. That’s a useful transferable skill that will benefit the student even if they choose a different career path. And think about the benefits to American culture!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my home ec class was basically treated as a homeroom / study period class, I did nothing and learned nothing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hawowanlawow posted:

my home ec class was basically treated as a homeroom / study period class, I did nothing and learned nothing

Imagine if you could make eclairs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

But I don't WANT to make eclairs I WANT to turn people into dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

In terms of using the skills every single day, by far the most useful high school class I ever took was Typing.