Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are you telling me they only fill the carrier parking lots with half the airplanes? Why did they build the mega Gerald Ford class then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i dunno as much about other stuff but i read a ton about airplanes and it's quite stark how much of a break in doctrine post-korea wars are

late-war ww1 airplanes cost 100-300k, and could be built in a shed, resulting in thousands upon thousands of planes joining the war effort, despite there not even being an air force when the whole thing started just 4 years earlier

then ww2 happened and the stakes got real high, but even as the best late war planes like a mustang or spitfire were being procured at 400-800k, they were still producing several thousand per year.

then cold war happened and MIC took control of the wheel and poo poo went off the rails. by the time vietnam war was on, the stupidity was already showing. the great new imperialist toy was the F-4, which cost $20+ million. despite this, it lacked a basic gun, leading to decreased combat efficiency. it was added at the insistence of pilots, but newer models would take over a year to start appearing on the battlefield iirc

in contrast, it's not known exactly how much a 60s mig-21 cost because communist mode of production and all that, but were said to be cheaper to crank out than BMP-1. a brand new 1980s J-7 (chinese mig-21 variant) apparently went for 4-6million, still 4-5 times cheaper than a 1960s F-4, lmao

all the numbers above are in 2024 dollars

these days, everyone with big money seems to be masturbating about expensive ~stealth~ boondoggles like su-57 and f-35, while the likely winners of future wars are cranking out millions of cheap missiles and other drones. because at the end of the day, with satellites taking over the high altitude recon role and drones taking over the low alt one, an air force is really just a very long range direct fire artillery branch

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you telling me they only fill the carrier parking lots with half the airplanes? Why did they build the mega Gerald Ford class then?

Dress for the job you want

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The SU-57 is defensible in so far it is pretty much just there to counter the f-35 and they are building 72 of them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the su-57 seems to be less about stealth and more about a ludicrous degree of manoeuvrability

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The SU-57 probably doesn't melt in the rain and looks like it has actual aerodynamic capabilities.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

In part, to have more room to fit planes. Parking space is at a premium on carriers. And it’s possible to physically put so many on a ship that you actually decrease your ability to launch missions, because getting to each plane is a game of tetris. This might not be a problem if just shipping things around, but not conducive to regular ops.

Cerebral Bore posted:

the su-57 seems to be less about stealth and more about a ludicrous degree of manoeuvrability

It was largely about exports, but then India backed out once they got to see its performance. So might now be more of an interim tech maturation thing until the next design.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So it's all about quality vs quantity, except we never even actually have any quality at all, it's just all marketing

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What about the Su-75? Are the Indians biting on that one? Or they are getting jet engines from the US and roll their own fighters?

I read somewhere that there is no photo of the Su-57opening its internal missile bay. It's not known whether Su-57 actually use it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They should invent a plane that can take off vertically

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Cerebral Bore posted:

if it can maneuver without bleeding off all its energy then great, if not lol on your fancy brick.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don’t know how much it is an interim thing when it is already a capable 5th generation fighter.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

What about the Su-75? Are the Indians biting on that one? Or they are getting jet engines from the US and roll their own fighters?

I read somewhere that there is no photo of the Su-57opening its internal missile bay. It's not known whether Su-57 actually use it.

For the SU-75 in general, it's basically a design and mockup (hasn't flown or matured yet), so the idea is try to sell it to whoever will buy it, but no country has signed up to buy it sight unseen. Rostec hoping to be able to sell it in South America, Africa, Iran, etc, but Iran also just signed up to buy about 3 squadrons of SU-35s, which are a proven design. The SU-75 was supposed to fly for the first time in 2023, but that has been delayed to some unknown date in the future.

India is in a weird place where they don't want to purchase from China (obvious competitor reasons), are not satisfied with quality and pace of production of Russian equipment, but do not want to end up dependent on Western nations (especially not the US if they can help it, more amenable to France), and also India wants to develop its own domestic build capability for both national defense / economy reasons as well as avoiding political entanglements with any of the above. So for now India buying a couple squadrons of French Rafales while building out plans to build about 100 of its own domestic design, the HAL Tejas Mk2. It has foreign components like GE engines and was designed and built with assistance from outside India, but the majority of the components are made in India. India kind of goes through this dance with most new combat aircraft procurements, but they are working toward having greater and greater domestic independence to build their own aircraft.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

there was a big surface navy griftcon a week ago ish

if you want to see what the mic is pitching right now these videos are pretty illustrative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aal4hM2Q7UA - shove a vls on a ship sideways, put cargo containers with VLS cells on an LCS heli deck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMWI8lwtUCQ - small cheap drones!! [600 tons 16 sideways vls cells], put nsm cans on a burke cause we dont have any other real antiship missile in the pipeline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtESiMz30s - this is the funniest one to me, not because mine warfare shouldnt be a priority but because you can see every stage of the mic grift at play here:
- the entire system is based on the lcs, two garbage ship classes that dont work and cost too much that were premised on being able to swap these mission modules around but can't so you basically end up with hyper-expensive mine sweepers that dont work
- also it launches a semi-disposable drone boat with a bunch of expensive sensors, which itself is a system that isnt ready yet
- the disposable drone boat launches a single-use mine hunting sub with its own cameras, sonars, and radars to actually go deactivate the mine
- so anyway the whole complete system to actually get rid of mines isnt available until 2028
- btw the littoral combat ships are getting scrapped early because they suck rear end so i guess we'll just start the whole process over with ffg(x) lmao, remember the ship that doesnt have a bow-mounted sonar because the shipyard that got the contract isnt deep enough to build a ship that has one even though the design they licensed did originally

meanwhile sea mines are like the cheapest and most accessible form of naval warfare

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Jan 22, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

The Oldest Man posted:

ffg(x) lmao, remember the ship that doesnt have a bow-mounted sonar because the shipyard that got the contract isnt deep enough to build a ship that has one even though the design they licensed did originally

anyone got a link where i can learn and laugh about this

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Admiral Bosch posted:

anyone got a link where i can learn and laugh about this

Livo posted:

Regarding stupid political choices & the military consequences of these choices...

During the tender process for the new Constellation frigate design, quite a bit of political support was thrown at the Fincantieri shipyard in Wisconsin, who pitched a modified version of the European FREMM frigate. They eventually won the contract, beating out other naval designs in shipyards located elsewhere. The winning Fincantieri design grossly underestimated the cost & time needed to implement US specific features to this design, causing lengthy delays, recalculations and further changes.

It was just announced that the Constellation class ASW (anti-submarine warfare) frigate has been delayed again. Of particular note is that this ASW frigate does NOT have a bow mounted sonar to detect subs, despite the original FREMM design having one, since most ASW ships have had one for decades. Towed array sonars & helicopters with dipping sonars are great, but sub hunting ships do need a bow sonar for times where those aren't available or in a different location. Why this odd choice? The US Navy says on Page 12 of this Congressional report that it was removed due to stability issues. Several changes to the original design were also required, for example, such as putting up 32 VLS cells up front making it much heavier than the original FREMM class. Still, poor ship stability is a legitimate issue, plus the US Navy have always had very different approaches regarding crew sizes/design/survivability compared to other navies. Perhaps this removal was only reluctantly done after the multiple screw-ups by the builder?

Slight problem: the chosen shipyard is actually too shallow for the Constellation frigate to have a bow mounted sonar, since the fairly shallow water level at the shipyard & the Saint Lawrence waterway would mean it literally cannot fit unless you change the design to not have a sonar at all. Whoops! Turns out that if you buy votes for government contracts and neglect investing in your shipyards for decades, you end up with idiotic decisions like this.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

maybe we should build the oceangoing ship at a port on the ocean or at least one with a deep enough harbor but what do I know?

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
i haven't really been following the news on development and procurement in a long while but i've been holding fast to my gut instinct that tells me that our economic process of someone skimming off the top for themselves at every given step plus my impression that the LCS/ford carrier/f-35/zumwalt etc try to do too much at once or reinvent the wheel with apps means they will have hilarious breakdowns with no real capacity for replacement in a protracted war, can anyone confirm/deny

e; asking because a coworker was insisting the f-35 is a good plane and i'm not sure how anyone can justify the cost

fibblins has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Jan 22, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fibblins posted:

i haven't really been following the news on development and procurement in a long while but i've been holding fast to my gut instinct that tells me that our economic process of someone skimming off the top for themselves at every given step of a process plus my impression that the LCS/ford carrier/f-35/zumwalt etc try to do too much at once or reinvent the wheel with apps means they will have hilarious breakdowns with no real capacity for replacement in a protracted war, can anyone confirm/deny

e; asking because a coworker was insisting the f-35 is a good plane and i'm not sure how anyone can justify the cost

it doesn't matter how good anything america has because it doesn't have enough of anything not even ammo but definitely not enough equipment or industry

china makes over half of the world's steel
guns are made from steel
engines
boats
planes
shells

that made up quote from lenin about how "the capitalists will sell us the rope we use to hang them with" was once again projection and they are expecting to buy their critical warfare industries back just-in-time on the eve of world war 3 and start frictionlessly dumping out superior competitive designs that, due to indescribable reasons, reasons with no hint of western chauvinism nor racism, fight more efficiently than the superior quantities of every important thing that their enemy has already built and is also building more of

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

this rules because it's not even a new design, it is an existing French design that the Americans took and modified to be way shittier

the Navy would be getting better ships out of this deal if they had bought them from overseas

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Truga posted:

in contrast, it's not known exactly how much a 60s mig-21 cost because communist mode of production and all that, but were said to be cheaper to crank out than BMP-1. a brand new 1980s J-7 (chinese mig-21 variant) apparently went for 4-6million, still 4-5 times cheaper than a 1960s F-4, lmao

The J-7 is the cheaper fighter equivalent of the 737. CAC was still manufacturing it through the early 2010s, after a bunch of countries ordered upgraded versions to replace their original 1980s vintage J-7s before the production line closed for good.

CAC then transferred the design to GAIC, which developed a further upgraded version called the FTC-2000 with diverter-less intakes (!) and BVR capabilities (!!) for just $8.5m each.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
FF(x) program: next generation posting AI

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/21/us/politics/us-militias-tipping-point.html

Lol on background Biden admin says one dead troop and they bomb Iran

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Imagine the impact of AI content generation on the military's power point slides.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Oldest Man posted:

Gonna be a lot of helicopter and Osprey accidents in the near future.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

horseshit lol. they'll just sanction more iranians

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What do you mean gonna?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
China isn't completely immune to their MIC's technobabble. But their MIC being state-owned helps a ton to keep the crazy wasteful spending in check, as well as the fact that they don't have lobbists in the US sense.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3249048/chinese-scientists-bring-us-navys-dream-bullet-life?module=top_story&pgtype=homepage

https://archive.is/ki9Dp

quote:

Chinese scientists bring US Navy’s ‘dream bullet’ to life

• After America abandoned development of its ‘dream shell’, Chinese scientists now claim they have managed to create it
  • The shell travels at Mach 7 while receiving satellite navigation signals and maintains an error margin of less than 15 metres (49 feet)

Chinese naval scientists claim to have created a smart shell for kinetic energy weapons that could reshape the military landscape.
This shell, propelled by a formidable electromagnetic gun, soars through the sky at a staggering speed of Mach 7. Throughout this dramatic process, it can stably receive signals from the BeiDou satellite navigation system and continuously adjust its flight path, maintaining an error of less than 15 metres (49 feet) until it hits its target.

Achieving such high accuracy at such high speeds is not easy, as the shell can travel 2,500 metres (8,200 feet) in just one second.

While its precision may still be insufficient for small moving targets like tanks, it is more than enough for larger targets such as warships or ports.

The concept of a “dream shell” was first introduced by the US Navy in 2012 as a means to solidify its global dominance.
Envisioned as a projectile launched by electromagnetic rail guns or coil guns, the idea was that it would navigate through the air at a speed of Mach 5, guided by GPS signals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bedpan posted:

maybe we should build the oceangoing ship at a port on the ocean or at least one with a deep enough harbor but what do I know?

sorry but the Representative for Marinette, WI sits on the Armed Services Committee

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The US barely even has the numbers deployed there to do anything to Yemen. It's not going to launch a loving ground invasion on Iran lmao.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
building a bigass ocean going warship on a lake is incredibly funny. it's a nice pithy way to summarize how dysfunctional the USA is.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Boat Stuck posted:

China isn't completely immune to their MIC's technobabble. But their MIC being state-owned helps a ton to keep the crazy wasteful spending in check, as well as the fact that they don't have lobbists in the US sense.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3249048/chinese-scientists-bring-us-navys-dream-bullet-life?module=top_story&pgtype=homepage

IIRC the PLA ordered some ultra-lightweight 12.7mm MGs after hearing about Russian boasting of their own. Turns out they missed something critical like the tripod, but they still achieved it.

Probably somehow cheaper than a European 155mm artillery shell these days.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

bedpan posted:

Salt water is a bitch, and dredging often can solve these issues.

This one seems like a total lack of anything other than corruption.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Boat Stuck posted:

It's not MIC technobubble if they are not trying to charge 1.5 million for each shell.

Also that article oddly has a lot of numbers in it, you can tell it was put out by the nerds (scientists.)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

shitload of guys about to be slipping off ladders into the ocean in the coming months

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BillsPhoenix posted:

seawaymax is 26.5 ft draft and the FREMM french variant is 24 ft 11 in draft and the italian variant is 28 ft 7 in. so the french FREMM could fit but the Italian ones couldn't.

so it seems like the issue is more the shipbuilders rather than the seaway itself

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BillsPhoenix posted:

:hmmyes:

Trabisnikof posted:

seawaymax is 26.5 ft draft and the FREMM french variant is 24 ft 11 in draft and the italian variant is 28 ft 7 in. so the french FREMM could fit but the Italian ones couldn't.

so it seems like the issue is more the shipbuilders rather than the seaway itself

incredible lmao if this isn't even a seaway draft issue but strictly the builder not having a deep enough harbor for the work.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bring back monitors but make them oceangoing. zero freeboard = zero fucks given

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

bedpan posted:

bring back monitors but make them oceangoing. zero freeboard = zero fucks given

Best you'll get is some narco-sub drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nomad2020 posted:

Best you'll get is some narco-sub drones.

I'd be okay with this if they had the rotating cannon thing in the middle of the ship.