Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
DLC weapon thing was most egregious in the PC version of dead space 2. I forget what the exact story was, but basically it was some sort of legal kerfuffle where the PC release had to have all of the DLC weapons included. For free. Whether you wanted them or not. So the first time you arrived at an in-game store in this survival horror game about carefully managing your resources and scraping by with limited funds and equipment, you were presented with a laundry list of all of the DLC weapons, each of which were completely free to purchase, and did not require you to find in the usual way, (which usually means scouring the maps looking for blueprints). The DLC weapons were basically superpowered version of all of the regular weapons that you would normally need to look for, so basically you would need to keep yourself really honest and pretend they didn't exist whenever you visited the store, and only get the stock standard versions of each weapon once you actually found them by exploring, if you wanted to get the intended experience out of the game.

Breetai has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think you're mixing up Mass Effect and Dead Space

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Opopanax posted:

I think you're mixing up Mass Effect and Dead Space

Lol yup, corrected. Posted before morning coffee.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think crafting/survival games should really just stop doing the whole heat and cold thing because they universally suck at it. Hot and cold are almost always identical: you just take a lot of damage until you die if you aren't wearing the right hot or cold clothes. It's just not very interesting to engage with. Or like, failing that at least get creative with it. What's that? You entered the plaid part of the map? Best wear your plaid armour or you'll die.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Jan 22, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuebot posted:

I think crafting/survival games should really just stop doing the whole heat and cold thing because they universally suck at it. Hot and cold are almost always identical: you just take a lot of damage until you die if you aren't wearing the right hot or cold clothes. It's just not very interesting to engage with.

Yeah, I gave BotW a bit of a pass here because they were aware enough to make deserts hot during the day but cold at night, and I don't think I'd seen another of those games do that yet, so I thought it was cute.

Lego Fornite is particularly lovely about just aping things like weather, night with monsters, and heat/cold without really implementing them in a way that feels like it adds anything. Like right now the biome art doesn't even properly show you if you're in a hot or cold area.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nuebot posted:

Or like, failing that at least get creative with it. What's that? You entered the plaid part of the map? Best wear your plaid armour or you'll die.

I wanna play this game.

Maybe plaid is super effective against houndstooth, but weak to pinstripe seersucker.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I gave BotW a bit of a pass here because they were aware enough to make deserts hot during the day but cold at night, and I don't think I'd seen another of those games do that yet, so I thought it was cute.

Technically, Breath of Fire III does this, because you travel through the Desert of Death at night and camp in the day. It's not a gameplay thing, you can't choose to do otherwise, but it also means you get a cool thing where you have to navigate across this incredibly vast, trackless expanse of sand that has basically no landmarks by celestial navigation.

The thing dragging that down, and one of the more infamous translation fuckups of the era, is that they mistranslated one of the places you get directions from. A character tells you the right thing in person, but the note that appears in camp to remind you what he said is incorrect.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It would help to tie environmental hazards to debuffs and not just health loss. The Rads system before Fallout 4 was far more intuitive and less of a pain.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nuebot posted:

What's that? You entered the plaid part of the map? Best wear your plaid armour or you'll die.

As any Spaceballs fan will tell you, going plaid is ludicrous.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Breetai posted:

DLC weapon thing was most egregious in the PC version of dead space 2. I forget what the exact story was, but basically it was some sort of legal kerfuffle where the PC release had to have all of the DLC weapons included. For free. Whether you wanted them or not. So the first time you arrived at an in-game store in this survival horror game about carefully managing your resources and scraping by with limited funds and equipment, you were presented with a laundry list of all of the DLC weapons, each of which were completely free to purchase, and did not require you to find in the usual way, (which usually means scouring the maps looking for blueprints). The DLC weapons were basically superpowered version of all of the regular weapons that you would normally need to look for, so basically you would need to keep yourself really honest and pretend they didn't exist whenever you visited the store, and only get the stock standard versions of each weapon once you actually found them by exploring, if you wanted to get the intended experience out of the game.

That's how I played DS2. I think what I ended up doing was individually storing (or selling, I can't remember if that was possible) every single piece of DLC equipment I could. What a smooth-brained way to implement DLC in a survival horror game, thanks EA.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Ms Adequate posted:

Technically, Breath of Fire III does this, because you travel through the Desert of Death at night and camp in the day. It's not a gameplay thing, you can't choose to do otherwise, but it also means you get a cool thing where you have to navigate across this incredibly vast, trackless expanse of sand that has basically no landmarks by celestial navigation.

The thing dragging that down, and one of the more infamous translation fuckups of the era, is that they mistranslated one of the places you get directions from. A character tells you the right thing in person, but the note that appears in camp to remind you what he said is incorrect.

How about one of the biggest things dragging games down is that Capcom for some reason has seen fit to not bless us with Breath of Fire re-releases for well over a decade.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

That's how I played DS2. I think what I ended up doing was individually storing (or selling, I can't remember if that was possible) every single piece of DLC equipment I could. What a smooth-brained way to implement DLC in a survival horror game, thanks EA.

I still remember when those weapons were announced for Dark Souls II and people were mad about it, and the common defense was "It's not pay to win or anything! You can buy them in the actual game!" And you could: at the end of the game, from the ghost man in drangleic castle. They still weren't pay to win because they weren't so good they'd magically make up for being bad at the game or anything, but still; it was an odd choice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Morpheus posted:

"Here's a tick box to give you all the DLC stuff don't click it on your first playthrough" too hard?

I'm wondering if it was a malicious compliance thing. Oh we need to include all the DLC? Blame the legal system for the port sucking.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nuebot posted:

I still remember when those weapons were announced for Dark Souls II and people were mad about it, and the common defense was "It's not pay to win or anything! You can buy them in the actual game!" And you could: at the end of the game, from the ghost man in drangleic castle. They still weren't pay to win because they weren't so good they'd magically make up for being bad at the game or anything, but still; it was an odd choice.

The new game plus weapon that was just a foam finger that shot arrows was cool tho

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nuebot posted:

you are confused, OP was talking about Darksiders 2

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I finally decided to give Farcry 5 a go after buying it awhile back, and nothing like watching a cutscene of people talking about how this cult formed their own country while I keep seeing Ubi Club item notifications pop up in the corner. I don't even know if they were related to Farycry 5.

Also, the whole "The "good" ending is gotten by walking away instead of arresting the cult leader" is some major BS right after your character sees a video of the cult leader killing someone with his bare hands. Sure the warrant wasn't for that exact offense, but it's still a valid warrant.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Randalor posted:

So I finally decided to give Farcry 5 a go after buying it awhile back, and nothing like watching a cutscene of people talking about how this cult formed their own country while I keep seeing Ubi Club item notifications pop up in the corner. I don't even know if they were related to Farycry 5.

Also, the whole "The "good" ending is gotten by walking away instead of arresting the cult leader" is some major BS right after your character sees a video of the cult leader killing someone with his bare hands. Sure the warrant wasn't for that exact offense, but it's still a valid warrant.

The classic trope of being the merciful pacifist towards the ultimate villain, having killed scores of lesser bad guys to get there.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Far Cry peaked at Caveman

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

The classic trope of being the merciful pacifist towards the ultimate villain, having killed scores of lesser bad guys to get there.

I'm referring to the start of the game, where they did the same thing as Farcry 4, except instead of a random person trying to fulfill their mom's last wish, you're a US Marshall who is sent there to serve and arrest a specific individual.

So I haven't killed anyone yet, it's just the entire circumstances around the situation don't make sense for you to just walk away.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Did you not pay any attention to how the whole scene was characterized? The whole idea is that immediately when you land you realize things are immensely more hosed when you realized, and you're way outgunned and outnumbered in every possible way. The "good" ending being walking away is saving yourself from interacting with this hellhole, like all the other agents you're working with say they should have done before they inevitably get murdered.

The point isn't that it's not a valid warrant, the point is that you really need to just gtfo and come back with swat teams and tanks and poo poo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

Did you not pay any attention to how the whole scene was characterized? The whole idea is that immediately when you land you realize things are immensely more hosed when you realized, and you're way outgunned and outnumbered in every possible way. The "good" ending being walking away is saving yourself from interacting with this hellhole, like all the other agents you're working with say they should have done before they inevitably get murdered.

The point isn't that it's not a valid warrant, the point is that you really need to just gtfo and come back with swat teams and tanks and poo poo.

What you're shown is a fairly small number of cultists with assault rifles, which is also what you see in the video the protagonist is watching at the start, and the deputies you're with at the start tell the other agent to walk away even before they see the compound (and it turns out the cult has members in the sheriff's department anyways). And even then, it isn't until the helicopter crashes and you run that they actually start firing at you. You don't see the larger numbers until you and the other marshall are escaping in the truck.

It's just a dumb "alternate ending" that was trying to mimic Farcry 4's "good" ending, except that one made sense (Pagan Min is a psychopath, but also made a point of wanting you safe before leaving).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

What you're shown is a fairly small number of cultists with assault rifles, which is also what you see in the video the protagonist is watching at the start, and the deputies you're with at the start tell the other agent to walk away even before they see the compound (and it turns out the cult has members in the sheriff's department anyways). And even then, it isn't until the helicopter crashes and you run that they actually start firing at you. You don't see the larger numbers until you and the other marshall are escaping in the truck.

It's just a dumb "alternate ending" that was trying to mimic Farcry 4's "good" ending, except that one made sense (Pagan Min is a psychopath, but also made a point of wanting you safe before leaving).

Did you not look to the left and right as you entered? There's hundreds of cultists there. Like right when you get control in the compound and start the move control stick to walk tutorial there are TONS of them there, the agents you're with are commenting on how fortified the place is, etc.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

Did you not look to the left and right as you entered? There's hundreds of cultists there. Like right when you get control in the compound and start the move control stick to walk tutorial there are TONS of them there, the agents you're with are commenting on how fortified the place is, etc.

Honestly, I was playing the PS4 version on PS5 and there was some noticeable pop in happening when the helicopter approached the compound and was circling around, and while there was a decent amount of cultists, it wasn't THAT many. Maybe there's more on the PC version, or maybe they just hadn't loaded in yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Honestly, I was playing the PS4 version on PS5 and there was some noticeable pop in happening when the helicopter approached the compound and was circling around, and while there was a decent amount of cultists, it wasn't THAT many. Maybe there's more on the PC version, or maybe they just hadn't loaded in yet.

Ah, yeah, I was playing on PC and it was very immediately clear that you were surrounded and outgunned.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Splicer posted:

"Here's a tick box to give you all the DLC stuff don't click it on your first playthrough" too hard?

I'm wondering if it was a malicious compliance thing. Oh we need to include all the DLC? Blame the legal system for the port sucking.

You're not wrong, but as a developer which would you rather deal with? People who don't read the pop ups, who paid for the pre-order bonus stuff, and then miss out on the pre-order "God killer shotgun/coffee maker combo" at the start of the game because they ticked that box. Or, similarly, "I just paid $10 for this DLC which is supposed to gave me the Nya-Nya of power, but I have no idea where the forest of dank effect is, and I'm not going to hunt it down. I need to have it in my inventory, ready to go, no thinking required."

Sure, a checkbox at the start that says "Let me find the DLC goodies on my own" is a good idea, and I like it. But you want to cater to the lowest common denominator if you want to have the easiest implementation and the fewest support tickets. Personally, I see the "Give everything at the start" option as the lesser of two evils.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I started playing 5 myself a few weeks ago although haven't picked it back up cause of other games, but I do like how it really sells the idea that the Cult has only just gone totally off the rails due to your arrest attempt, as before they were just in one compound but then after you complete the tutorial you are getting calls from all over the island being all "AHhh gently caress the Cult just rolled in and everythings hosed! Help!!" It was brilliantly chaotic.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

battle intel report #3 in ff7r can suck my entire rear end hole

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
They should just tell you that locusts are extra lives and if you're in void mode you can't get an ending in Void Stranger.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with FC5's story is that it makes the cult evil but also right about the upcoming societal collapse.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought the non-canonical ending to FC5 was good. The canonical one really loving annoyed me but I can't remember why.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh hey, something else dragging Far Cry 5 down (other than finding out that it's Far Cry and not Farcry, despite the title having both words next to each other). I played through the intro last night, then exited the game because supper was almost ready and I had to keep an eye on it, so Mrs Randalor took over the TV to play her game. Came home from work tonight, settled in and... I'm outside the starting bunker. I can see the marker to change my clothes, but that's inside the bunker and I can't interact with the door. Someone online said to try leaving the mission area so you fail the mission and it respawns you inside. Nope, respected outside the bunker. I have enough games in my backlog that if I have to restart, I may as well move on to something else instead. I'll come back to Far Cry 5, just... not this week.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Randalor posted:

Oh hey, something else dragging Far Cry 5 down (other than finding out that it's Far Cry and not Farcry, despite the title having both words next to each other).

Because the first one took place in a place that was a 'far cry from paradise'

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Because the first one took place in a place that was a 'far cry from paradise'

Oh, no, I'm just annoyed that the title screens are always "FARCRY X" while the actual titles are Far Cry. Spaces exist Ubisoft, maybe you can find them next to your bug reports!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Things dragging down farcry: the best entries in the series (other than primal) were some random console titles that gave you mutant powers that basically no one has heard of.

At least, I think there were two of em. Might have just been one.

Had a pretty rad drop in wysiwyg level editor for the consoles of the era, too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Randalor posted:

Oh, no, I'm just annoyed that the title screens are always "FARCRY X" while the actual titles are Far Cry. Spaces exist Ubisoft, maybe you can find them next to your bug reports!

They don't know what to do with spaces.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arrath posted:

Things dragging down farcry: the best entries in the series (other than primal) were some random console titles that gave you mutant powers that basically no one has heard of.

At least, I think there were two of em. Might have just been one.

Had a pretty rad drop in wysiwyg level editor for the consoles of the era, too.

FarCry: Instincts Predator. Xbox360. hell yes that game loving whipped and is one of my favourite shooters of all time.

Instincts was an Xbox one... not sure if both parts were released separately or if part 2 was 360 exvlusive? but the 360 version packaged in Instincts with the second part, Predator.

best way to describe it was FarCry but a corrdior shooter and man did it loving work.

hasnt been rereleased... is stuck on the 360. and though most 360 games have since become emulated, this is one of the few that hasnt so it is getting harder and harder to play.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sally posted:

FarCry: Instincts Predator. Xbox360. hell yes that game loving whipped and is one of my favourite shooters of all time.

Instincts was an Xbox one... not sure if both parts were released separately or if part 2 was 360 exvlusive? but the 360 version packaged in Instincts with the second part, Predator.

best way to describe it was FarCry but a corrdior shooter and man did it loving work.

hasnt been rereleased... is stuck on the 360. and though most 360 games have since become emulated, this is one of the few that hasnt so it is getting harder and harder to play.
Yeah Predator combined the OG Xbox's Instincts and it's standalone expansion pack Evolution into a 360 release. What makes it weird is Evolution was released on the Xbox the same day the combo pack Predator came out.

Oblivion launched a week prior to it. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter earlier in the month same with Burnout Revenge. I don't remember Predator getting an ounce of fanfare.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't mind playing Breakpoint that much, but you need to be attuned to its tactilol bullshit. I played it after playing a bunch of FARCRY6, and it felt really weird.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Xbox Far Cry was decent. I do remember it having the Halo problem though where eventually you were just fighting other mutants. It makes sense for the enemies to get harder obviously but it meant you couldn't do a lot of the cool funny things you could do before, like one-hit punching them all into the air.

It also had some fun multiplayer, though you needed a pretty big TV to get the most out of the split screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Did we all pick up FC5 in the same sale or something? I've just started it too.

Main annoyance for me is how quickly you fill the resistance meters up - I just want to beetle around the valley sidequesting and finding interesting stuff without getting dragged into another unskippable boss fight before I've even taken out any outposts. Once the resistance meter fills all the cultists disappear from the roads and I don't have anything to use my cool new poo poo on!