Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MrUnderbridge posted:

So is the phrase "not worth a tinkers drat" referring to the maker type or the problematic one?

It's not something I've ever used, but I have come across it in reading. I always thought it referred to the fixes pots and pans guys. I hadn't even heard of the term having an issue before today. Pretty sure almost all Americans only know of the tinkering around meaning.

It does refer to the traveling tinsmiths.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-11-27-vw-13637-story.html

quote:

In the old days when tinkers traveled about the countryside toting the tools of their trade, they were considered a rather disreputable lot. In the 19th Century, the expressions “drunk as a tinker” and “swears like a tinker” were commonplace, as were, “not worth a tinker’s curse” and “not worth a tinker’s drat.”

This is not surprising. It seems to me that if the most devout and mild-mannered curate took up the tinker’s trade, perhaps as some sort of penance, and started mending metal utensils, his tools being tin snips, tongs, hammers, pliers, solder and a fire, which he must excite to white heat with a bellows, he would, within a short time, be slugging down the sauce and using words of which “drat” would be the least remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Diet Poison posted:

Ffs stop talking about tinkers it keeps making me think of the eerie dude in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Well then just stop tinking about it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Tinkers would had a lot of exposure to lead fumes in solder and the like. Draw your own conclusions.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not the sharpest, eh?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tinker? Barely know her

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

and not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist, you EXCREMENT

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Tina Fey's standard routine "oh I'm really gross and weird and ugly and everyone has to mention it". Tina's aging well but those jokes are not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Liz Lemon isn’t undateable because she’s supposed to be ugly, it’s because of her personality. She still gets with Jon Hamm, James Marsden and Matt Damon anyway.

The Tina Fey stuff that aged badly and recurs throughout her career is her weird racism.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tina Fey is a white liberal woman, the worst kind of person.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

oldpainless posted:

I was about to say I liked her in Hamlet 2, but then I remembered that was Amy Poehler and I keep getting them mixed up for some reason.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the_steve posted:

I was about to say I liked her in Hamlet 2, but then I remembered that was Amy Poehler and I keep getting them mixed up for some reason.

They are best friends and often appear together, so it's not crazy even though they look nothing alike and have different comedy styles.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
(sorry, this is a crap joke, but it's been running through my head all day, so now you all have to suffer)

Movies that didn't age well:
    1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Her thing on snl about ignoring nazi rallies because she'd rather not think about them was badly aged the moment she did it, because the nazis had already killed some people earlier that day. But to her credit, she was right: she could ignore the nazis without her life changing in any way.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Her thing on snl about ignoring nazi rallies because she'd rather not think about them was badly aged the moment she did it, because the nazis had already killed some people earlier that day. But to her credit, she was right: she could ignore the nazis without her life changing in any way.

I get the base thought process of "don't feed the trolls."
But yeah, the issue is that the trolls have no compunctions against feeding themselves nowadays.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Liz Lemon isn’t undateable because she’s supposed to be ugly, it’s because of her personality. She still gets with Jon Hamm, James Marsden and Matt Damon anyway.

The Tina Fey stuff that aged badly and recurs throughout her career is her weird racism.

Yeah she's a weirdo anxious workaholic. Married to a job that's pretty much bonkers. Tina Fey being beautiful is not ignored - it's part of the relationship with Jenna that Jenna is verging on envious, and it makes the tension with Jack work.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dave Syndrome posted:

(sorry, this is a crap joke, but it's been running through my head all day, so now you all have to suffer)

Movies that didn't age well:
    1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I had a sensible chuckle

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Christopher Lloyd has aged well, seeing as how he looks like he's in his 90s. He looks like he's only aged a decade or two since he was on Taxi.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

Christopher Lloyd has aged well, seeing as how he looks like he's in his 90s. He looks like he's only aged a decade or two since he was on Taxi.

I think he's one of those people who started out looking fairly old so they just grew into their face. See if you can guess how old he was in this photo

That's his high school senior photo, he was 20

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

well why not posted:

Yeah she's a weirdo anxious workaholic. Married to a job that's pretty much bonkers. Tina Fey being beautiful is not ignored - it's part of the relationship with Jenna that Jenna is verging on envious, and it makes the tension with Jack work.

I was more thinking of the movie Whisky Tango Foxtrot, where her "grossness and weirdness" are a constant comedy point, with multiple characters calling her a "4 or a 5 at best". Though she did manage to hook up with Bilbo Baggins

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think he's one of those people who started out looking fairly old so they just grew into their face. See if you can guess how old he was in this photo

That's his high school senior photo, he was 20

He's also most known for a role he was aged up for, which is basically cheating.

Chrpno posted:

I was more thinking of the movie Whisky Tango Foxtrot, where her "grossness and weirdness" are a constant comedy point, with multiple characters calling her a "4 or a 5 at best". Though she did manage to hook up with Bilbo Baggins

I'm reminded of the quote from Barbie:

quote:

Narrator: Margot Robbie is the wrong person to cast if you want to make this point.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tina Fey is a white person from Upper Darby, there's like a 95% chance she'd be extremely racist from that alone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know many decent people who went to harvard, certainly. It’s a telling choice, imo.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t know many decent people who went to harvard, certainly. It’s a telling choice, imo.

Conan?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

Lol if you go to Harvard and try to he decent person, just lmoa. Like, what did you think you signed up for?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

TGG posted:

Conan?

Conan gets a pass as one of the less inbred people to attend Harvard

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Asterite34 posted:

Conan gets a pass as one of the less inbred people to attend Harvard

Funny as he has a whole bit about discovering a lot of inbreeding in his ancestry.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
If Conan ends up being a monster I will never trust anyone again.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

TGG posted:

Have you seen how he treats Jordan?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

grittyreboot posted:

Have you seen how he treats Jordan?

Damnit he deserves it!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

TGG posted:

he killed a lot of people but to be fair quite a few of them were sorcerers

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

oldpainless posted:

More like old-James-Somerton...full.

Get back to me on this one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tina Fey isn’t on Nebula, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

well why not posted:

I'm reminded of the quote from Barbie:

I hated that moment in the film. It's one of the most direct examples of the entire thing undercutting itself at every turn.

Awful film.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PriorMarcus posted:

I hated that moment in the film. It's one of the most direct examples of the entire thing undercutting itself at every turn.

Awful film.

Powerful post/title combo

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I haven't seen the movie yet but every single trailer looked amazing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It was funny but a bit too long and got a little confused in a few spots.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I sat through that remake of King Kong with Jack Black in it.

That was too long.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Seems like the worst thing you'll find on Conan is that he's very much an "I don't like politics, I wish everyone would get along" type person and sometimes comes off as pretty naive in that regard. But he has no problem letting other people who are more passionate talk about it. For him it seems to come from a place of not trusting himself to be able to do a good job with it, or make it funny, so he stays in his lane.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Seems like the worst thing you'll find on Conan is that he's very much an "I don't like politics, I wish everyone would get along" type person and sometimes comes off as pretty naive in that regard. But he has no problem letting other people who are more passionate talk about it. For him it seems to come from a place of not trusting himself to be able to do a good job with it, or make it funny, so he stays in his lane.

Conan thinks political humor is ephemera and it's not his style. His wheelhouse is weird, out of nowhere, misdirection humor.

That being said his stuff on Ana Nicole Smith probably didn't age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Conan has also hung out with the IDF.