Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

A better term would be winning*

*winning is only permitted for a total of one hour per day and a maximum value of five hours of winning per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Is uncle roger/nigel ng still canceled in China? I guess he moved to California recently.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao he's banned? His digs are mild as gently caress. Chinese government is such a Karen

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tai posted:

lmao he's banned? His digs are mild as gently caress. Chinese government is such a Karen

Yea I think it was this bit specifically that got all his chinese accounts scrubbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnLScLsHNa8

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
This is sooooo tame. Bunch of absolute Karens

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

free hubcaps posted:

Yea I think it was this bit specifically that got all his chinese accounts scrubbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnLScLsHNa8

lmao that's it?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i support the ccp now

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The PRC government is the whiniest bunch of crybabies. It's really embarrassing having one of the world's most important countries constantly throwing tantrums like a toddler.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sounds like Trump...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tai posted:

Sounds like Trump...

Honestly I think it's part of why Trump was so popular in China. Every buzzcut rolls his shirt up in the morning dreaming of being Trump some day.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The sci-fi literature award the Hugos is being hosted in Chengdu this year. It is also the same year that a record number of books, largely from authors of Chinese descent, have been declared ineligible with no reasons given.

Stuff like R. F. Kuang’s Babel was declared ineligible despite receiving more than enough votes to make it to the final round

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

any ideas why they arent eligible?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

The sci-fi literature award the Hugos is being hosted in Chengdu this year. It is also the same year that a record number of books, largely from authors of Chinese descent, have been declared ineligible with no reasons given.

Stuff like R. F. Kuang’s Babel was declared ineligible despite receiving more than enough votes to make it to the final round

Small correction, but that was last year. The reason it's blown up right now is they released the voting statistics, a few days after they were contractually obligated to, and the numbers are transparently rigged. People were going, "It's suspicious that this author who has been getting acclaim elsewhere wasn't nominated, they must have voluntarily withdrawn like a bunch of others." But it turned out that they had just gotten marked as "inelligeable" for no given reason. And like all authoritarian censorship, it's weirdly arbitrary and has gaps where the censors just didn't get it.

I actually did a really deep dive into scifi awards a while ago, reading every winner in every category, plus a good number of the nominees. They've always had problems and been political, but the past decade have been a farce and this manages to be a new low.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Neil Gaiman is pretty pissed about the whole thing and has been talking about it at length on Bluesky.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Babel is arguably more kind to China than the west but I can see where the way the other characters treat the main guy would not go over well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dandywalken posted:

any ideas why they arent eligible?

Is this book Journey to the West? Yes/No

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And in new "this is killing" news.

CCP stooges demand piano players stops filming in public in Britain because they were in the background.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/19ct231/ccp_demand_piano_player_in_a_public_place_stop/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

CCP stooges demand piano players stops filming in public in Britain because they were in the background.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/19ct231/ccp_demand_piano_player_in_a_public_place_stop/

Sounds like the story is really getting picked up. It's on the front-page of the Daily Mail's UK site, and spreading on plenty of less reactionary news orgs. The video is absolute shark bait for anyone critical of CCP influence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

"DONT TOUCH HER!! YOU ARE NOT THE SAME AGE!!!!" lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

free hubcaps posted:

"DONT TOUCH HER!! YOU ARE NOT THE SAME AGE!!!!" lol

Yeah what was the deal with that

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

lol the "we are offended" thing comes back again and again

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah what was the deal with that

Freudian slip lmao

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Megillah Gorilla posted:

JFC, Reddit or the subreddit took down the post. Still accessible via direct link, but not appearing on the subreddit feed anymore. I don't really know how Reddit or its moderation work, but I hope it's just a case of a subredddit mod being a pro-CCP shitheel and not Reddit itself caving to pressure.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I thought Reddit was well known for removing anything that might make China look bad.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

There are multiple subreddits devoted to doing that exact thing

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Well there you go then, I rarely venture there but remember seeing poo poo about people in china getting banned from a china specific sub for showing there were homeless people or other bad things in China. Plus this latest thing getting nuked.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all online communities are feudal to a greater or lesser extent, but reddit is more feudal than most. mods have total leeway except from poo poo that might get the site into legal trouble, pretty much

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

all online communities are feudal to a greater or lesser extent, but reddit is more feudal than most. mods have total leeway except from poo poo that might get the site into legal trouble, pretty much
which figurehead emperor does that make Jeff

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Mr. Fix It posted:

does anywhere count students not seeking working as unemployed? or are they specifically discounting jobseekers if they're students?

Cactus Ghost posted:

if college students aren't seeking employment, they aren't unemployed, at least in the Economics Textbook use of yhe word "unemployed"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They do that literally everywhere. It's surprising that they didn't used to, too.

To clarify, the government is no longer counting students as unemployed even if they are seeking jobs:

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...-a-lower-number

The US tallies students as unemployed if they are seeking work but unable to get an offer, same as any other demographic

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

which figurehead emperor does that make Jeff

may i suggest ferdinand 1 of austria, who was super-inbred due to being a hapsburg and all the hapsburg poo poo, was still a basically decent and not-completely-mentally-disabled man who just couldn't do any actual work because he had dozens of seizures a day and a huge swollen bloated head, and once demanded apricot dumplings by saying Ich bin der Kaiser und ich will Knödel!, or I am the Emperor and I want my dumplings!

(him not being able to do work is why metternich was basically the most important figure of 1820s-1840s austria)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 23, 2024

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The people were identified as being TV hosts/actors, nothing indicates they're with the government. Unless the "Big Ben Awards" is some kind of front but who knows.

It seems like they were going to film something with Chinese flags using the public piano but had to come up with a really passive-aggressive way to stop that British livestreamer. Instead of just asking to use it for a minute?

Anyway it's been posted on a dozen other subreddits, even the chinese-language subs are mocking them. Crazy thing is that the piano guy had 2 million subscribers and could have easily plugged whatever they're doing, instead they assumed that being in the background would somehow harm their ratings? idk

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 23, 2024

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Nam Taf posted:

Missed your set unfortunately! We only arrived at 1

no worries hope u had a good time anyway! that night is always so busy since they moved it to a saturday :doggo:

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently a Chinese patrol had a bit of a discussion with a Vietnamese fishing boat:
https://i.imgur.com/cOLCBQj.mp4
Stolen translation, supposedly pretty decent:

Lmao i think the vietnamese are probably the people who hate china the most, which is saying something

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

je1 healthcare posted:

To clarify, the government is no longer counting students as unemployed even if they are seeking jobs:

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...-a-lower-number

The US tallies students as unemployed if they are seeking work but unable to get an offer, same as any other demographic

thanks for the clarification :)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's funny when living in South Korea, because this has been going on forever so South Koreans give zero fucks and pay no attention to it, but every ten months or so you'll get worried emails from home "we'll buy you a plane ticket!" because North Korea went on a bender again and the media is reporting it as if it matters.

Yep. Did 7 Years in SK, and nobody, not even the media gave the slightest of fucks. My students hated Japan and were more worried about them a lot more than 북한.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
high youth unemployment in Lost Decade Japan led to an explosion in street fashion and artistic culture

I suspect China may see a different evolution: it would slap down an assertive fashion culture well before it could coalesce into forming commercial entities in the way 1990s Japan yielded A Bathing Ape (say)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

je1 healthcare posted:

The people were identified as being TV hosts/actors, nothing indicates they're with the government. Unless the "Big Ben Awards" is some kind of front but who knows.

It seems like they were going to film something with Chinese flags using the public piano but had to come up with a really passive-aggressive way to stop that British livestreamer. Instead of just asking to use it for a minute?

Goddamn lmao.

That's even stupider than anything I ever would have suspected.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ronya posted:

high youth unemployment in Lost Decade Japan led to an explosion in street fashion and artistic culture

I suspect China may see a different evolution: it would slap down an assertive fashion culture well before it could coalesce into forming commercial entities in the way 1990s Japan yielded A Bathing Ape (say)
They should crack down on it before it's too late

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ili posted:

I thought Reddit was well known for removing anything that might make China look bad.

Doesn't Tencent have partial ownership of reddit?

Ironically, r/China is full of reactionary "China Watchers" who will share articles on the imminent China collapse, any day now.

r/Sino is the one where all the CCP tankies hangout. It is a lot like the CSPAM China thread, only the subreddit has people who actually live in China. :imunfunny:

The city subreddits are the worst. Imagine how your local city subreddit full of NextDoor wannabees, only with a "White Man's Burden" vibe. If you're not using r/Shanghai or r/Hongkong as either Craigslist, Yelp, or an event planner, you're using it wrong.

E: r/CCJ2 use to be a great place to shitpost about the Guo, but then it got really racist and then it got banned. There is a discord out there, but the mods keep posting MAGA poo poo and racist migrant tiktok video so gently caress that poo poo.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 23, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

je1 healthcare posted:

Here if you drop out of University, you can't apply for unemployment benefits unless you formally request to be removed from the rolls. Because students can't be unemployed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Here it is perfectly possible to receive partial unemployment payments while still attending university - if you are in part-time education then you're part-time unemployed until you get a part-time job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Imagine a government spending so much money to stop 'hurt feelings' and ''vanish'' people instead of healthcare or poverty. But here we are