Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if the tripwire had damaged a pickup truck the sentiment in the comments would be the exact opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

khazar sansculotte posted:

"I've never had that interaction. Buddy, I am that interaction."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

[cars ftw] Maybe you just don't have a fun car?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
they're right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
oh buddy you have no idea how much fun my car is. I have a big horn that goes AWOOOOGA, my antenna is bent back and forth in a zig zag and has a racoon tail hanging off of it, and i have the hydraulics set up to make it constantly look like it is "humping"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
when i see drivers they all look like they're having so much fun. i bet that dude has a ton of fun when he drives.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
to drive a car you straight up have to ask the government for permission lol

also do roads not only go to places the government has approved?? trains running well means cars are banned?? these people truly are the dumbest motherfuckers

386-SX 25Mhz VGA has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Jan 22, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have a fun car, its caleld a bicycle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[drake no] mazda miata

[drake yes] koga miyata

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I also love how they're both describing the exact same situation, he just doesn't realize it because he's probably the one looking at his phone and/or the infotainment system in his "fun car."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That's not really unusual for descending. My PR is 101 km/hr coming down a straight highway from a 3500m pass in CO :cool:. Low-altitude record is 89 kph on a straight descent in the Issaquah Alps. It's not particularly dangerous except for some older bikes with weird geometries that are susceptible to speed wobble. It's actually possible to descend twisty roads quite a bit faster than cars just because 2 wheels are so much better for cornering.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh buddy you have no idea how much fun my car is. I have a big horn that goes AWOOOOGA, my antenna is bent back and forth in a zig zag and has a racoon tail hanging off of it, and i have the hydraulics set up to make it constantly look like it is "humping"

yo same

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cat botherer posted:

That's not really unusual for descending. My PR is 101 km/hr coming down a straight highway from a 3500m pass in CO :cool:. Low-altitude record is 89 kph on a straight descent in the Issaquah Alps. It's not particularly dangerous except for some older bikes with weird geometries that are susceptible to speed wobble. It's actually possible to descend twisty roads quite a bit faster than cars just because 2 wheels are so much better for cornering.

lmao I have a panic attack if I'm going more than 50km/h

I need to feel like I could sustain a crash without like, horrifically life-altering injuries if I were to survive

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah descents are quite nice
what feels really good is getting nice tailwind, though

last year when i was returning from a bike trip and got some nice tailwind on a stretch of flat road, I managed to push my shitbike with fat tires to 55km/h, though it was kinda hard because even at 50 the last gear is getting kinda useless. i might have managed to hit 60 but i ran out of road because i wasn't trying until i noticed i ran out of gears just casually riding on a flat surface lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What if you attached sails to your bike

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

cat botherer posted:

this reminded me of how much fun I used to have bicycling before I realized that drivers will cross the double yellow on a blind turn for no reason

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

webcams for christ posted:

lmao I have a panic attack if I'm going more than 50km/h

I need to feel like I could sustain a crash without like, horrifically life-altering injuries if I were to survive
As long as you don't take a header into a guardrail, even high-speed crashes normally result in just gnarly road rash, or at worst, a broken collarbone. Virtually all serious cycling injuries and deaths are associated with cars. Just look at how few deaths happen in bike racing, despite how popular it is, how fast it can get, and the constant crashes. One time I crashed going about 50 kph racing in a criterium when my front wheel blew out (thankfully I was near the back of the pack and didn't take anybody else out). I got up, got a new wheel, and finished the race (you get a free lap with a mishap). It didn't feel good, but I've experienced much more painful things.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Jan 22, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

you know those windsurfing sails? people attach them to bikes sometimes, but you kinda need to live in an area with predictable winds to really use them

mystes
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just use a sail with inline skates like this insane person
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoqH5iUIgMQ

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

One time when I was a little kid I made a drogue parachute for my bike, kind of like what fighter jets use when they land. It was pretty cool, but I don't think it slowed me down all that much.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a drogue chute will slow you down real quick when it tangles into your fork, op :v:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cat botherer posted:

As long as you don't take a header into a guardrail, even high-speed crashes normally result in just gnarly road rash, or at worst, a broken collarbone. Virtually all serious cycling injuries and deaths are associated with cars. Just look at how few deaths happen in bike racing, despite how popular it is, how fast it can get, and the constant crashes. One time I crashed going about 50 kph racing in a criterium when my front wheel blew out (thankfully I was near the back of the pack and didn't take anybody else out). I got up, got a new wheel, and finished the race (you get a free lap with a mishap). It didn't feel good, but I've experienced much more painful things.

that's honestly a really good pitch, but I have the Mr. Glass (Samuel L Jackson in Unbreakable) bone disease

also

Greg12 posted:

this reminded me of how much fun I used to have bicycling before I realized that drivers will cross the double yellow on a blind turn for no reason

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I already feel like a chute when I bike into a headwind

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

not sure how to stop this (you can't)

https://twitter.com/NortonMpls/status/1749489980764832045

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

nothing stopping you from vandalizing gas stations either

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

true though that isn't really the chronic problem that cutting EV cables seems to be. maybe because the latter tend to be not tied to gas stations, where you have other people pumping gas as well as customers going in and out of the store.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

get the upgrade to a trike, and ride a land yacht

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ZOsBw5kgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2TN35RWxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJWqcrsI7nc

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my friend got an electric car several years ago and someone stole the charging cable off the side of his house the very first day he drove it in to work

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

webcams for christ posted:

nothing stopping you from vandalizing gas stations either

What kind of safety systems to modern gas stations have? It seems to me that underground tanks of ~100k litres of explosive liquid all over the place, you'd hear of really violent mishaps more often. Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I don't even think the ones near me have NO SMOKING signs anymore. I've certainly walked up to the neighbourhood 7-11 with a lit dart in my hand many times, and nobody's said anything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Cigarettes can't actually ignite gasoline unless maybe you shove a lit one into a gas tank, there's just way too much room for the fumes to dissipate. But I do agree with how prevalent gas stations are it's a minor miracle that more stuff doesn't go wrong. It probably doesn't do anything but I always tap the side of my vehicle a couple times before removing the nozzle to dispel any potential static electricity.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Alobar posted:

i only post in this thread when i'm driving and jacking off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fuckin nazi's

there once was a place where a man could drive his car and jack off and post on something awful forums at the same time

that place?

we called it america :911:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

if you need me i'll be in my car

jacking off

and driving

and posting on something awful

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how the gently caress i want to ask but i dont want to know

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

how the gently caress i want to ask but i dont want to know

3 hands

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

stoplights

oh poo poo, gotta go

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bricking my car with malware because I let the nice event organizer download mystery files into it so it could participate in the lovely light show with no clear synchronization

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the video promised a light show but none of the teslas are on fire????
:mods:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

What kind of safety systems to modern gas stations have? It seems to me that underground tanks of ~100k litres of explosive liquid all over the place, you'd hear of really violent mishaps more often. Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I don't even think the ones near me have NO SMOKING signs anymore. I've certainly walked up to the neighbourhood 7-11 with a lit dart in my hand many times, and nobody's said anything.

This reminds me of my favourite car related clip on youtube that doesn't involve a bollard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDXVJEisz_U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Clark Nova posted:

the video promised a light show but none of the teslas are on fire????
:mods:

wheres the idf when you need them