Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. Could you please recommend components for a high-end gaming PC? The only requirements are Nvidia 4090, at least 64GB RAM, and a lot of storage (I currently have five SSDs/HDDs for the total of 20TB). I am looking for advice on the following:

- Motherboard - I've always used ASUS but I'm open to suggestions.
- RAM - I've always used Corsair but - again - I'm open.
- CPU - I want to stay with Intel but their ecosystems is more complex than it used to. Advice appreciated.
- Midsize case/tower - but all venting has to be in the front and in the back. Nothing at the top, sadly, due to the space where the case will sit. A "nice" looking case would be nice :)
- Cooling. I'm not going to screw around with adding any cooling liquids though, as there is a 99% chance that I'll f*** up and make the whole thing go up in smoke. And I'm not going to be overclocking anything. Something simple please.
- Power - I used Corsair last time.
- Storage - I've always used Samsung and Western Digital.

I live in the US and would order everything online.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Unexpected posted:

Hi. Could you please recommend components for a high-end gaming PC? The only requirements are Nvidia 4090, at least 64GB RAM, and a lot of storage (I currently have five SSDs/HDDs for the total of 20TB). I am looking for advice on the following:

- Motherboard - I've always used ASUS but I'm open to suggestions.
- RAM - I've always used Corsair but - again - I'm open.
- CPU - I want to stay with Intel but their ecosystems is more complex than it used to. Advice appreciated.
- Midsize case/tower - but all venting has to be in the front and in the back. Nothing at the top, sadly, due to the space where the case will sit. A "nice" looking case would be nice :)
- Cooling. I'm not going to screw around with adding any cooling liquids though, as there is a 99% chance that I'll f*** up and make the whole thing go up in smoke. And I'm not going to be overclocking anything. Something simple please.
- Power - I used Corsair last time.
- Storage - I've always used Samsung and Western Digital.

I live in the US and would order everything online.

Thank you.

AMD has the best gaming CPU on the market right now, the 7800X3D. The "3D" part of the name means it has an extra die composed of nothing but L3 cache stapled on top of the CPU cores. The extra cache makes it ridiculously fast at gaming, though the equivalently priced Intel CPUs still beat it at multithreaded productivity workloads. It also uses way less power and is much easier to cool than the equivalent Intel CPUs, which is a nice bonus. If you want to stick with Intel, I'd just grab an i7-13700K. The modern i9 parts are egregious overkill for gaming PCs. And the 14700K uses the same core architecture as the 13700K, with its only real advantage being that it has a few extra "efficiency cores" that generally aren't used in games. You can gander at this review data to get a decent idea of the gaming performance of these chips. (and here's what I was talking about with power efficiency)

As far as motherboards go, any $150+ motherboard these days will be able to run the CPUs mentioned above just fine. The biggest differentiating factor will be the I/O. How many m.2 slots it has, sata ports, the USB on the rear I/O panel, etc. With Intel, the higher-end Z-series chipsets have more I/O support and CPU overclocking support. With AMD, the higher-end X chipsets just have more I/O, and all AMD boards support CPU overclocking. Asus boards are okay, but they're a touch overpriced and they seem to skimp out on the rear I/O. Gigabyte and ASRock have had the best balance of price and features in my opinion. Gigabyte's "Aorus Elite" series have been good midrange options for both AMD and Intel. With Asus, I'd probably pick one of their "Prime" boards, or sometimes one of their "Strix" boards if they're cheap enough. But always be cognizant of your I/O needs instead of blindly buying what's recommended.

For the case, there are a billion options with good front intake and rear exhaust. Many of them will also have ventilated spots on the top, but those are typically optional. The Fractal Design Torrent is the current airflow king. It comes with two huge front fans and three large bottom fans, all on intake duty. It's capable of running very quietly while still pushing huge amounts of air, if you tune the fan profiles right. The Lian Li Lancool III is the case I'm using, and it's a very solid, more traditional midtower with great airflow and lots of good ease-of-use features. Its biggest downside is probably how goddamn heavy it is (it's very heavy). Both of those are classified as midtowers, but they're a touch on the large size. The Lancool 216 is a solid midrange option that's also a bit smaller than those other ones if size is a concern. And the Fractal Design North is one of the more unique nice-looking cases out there, with its front panel made with wood slats. There are lots of other valid, perfectly good options, but I like Fractal and Lian Li, so these are the ones I always recommend.

Storage: You already have 20TB of it, so I'm not sure what else you want. If you don't have an NVMe boot drive, then I would recommend getting one. WD makes solid options for this, with the SN850X or the SN770. Samsung's 980 Pro is also good. Their 990 Pro is overkill and a waste of money for a gaming PC though in my opinion.

The other stuff: I'll just make some PC Part Picker lists of an example build since there's not too much to say about the rest: Intel, AMD. I guess I'll add that I picked a modern power supply that comes with a 12VHPWR power cable out of the box, so you don't need to use any awkward adapters to connect your 4090.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 20, 2024

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Thank you, Doctor! I've never considered AMD - ever since I gave it (and... Cyrix) a try about... 20 years ago? And Intel was superior. I will read up on it! And thank you for the remaining extensive feedback. I appreciate it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What's a cheap replacement GTX 1080 card?

I'm not looking to update this PC, just keep it going. I'm getting this error https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3075/~/windows-has-stopped-this-device-because-it-has-reported-problems%28code-43%29-for and I've been running the card for years. It only works when I roll back the drivers, disable the device in Device manager, reboot, and enable the device. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

daslog posted:

What's a cheap replacement GTX 1080 card?

I'm not looking to update this PC, just keep it going. I'm getting this error https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3075/~/windows-has-stopped-this-device-because-it-has-reported-problems%28code-43%29-for and I've been running the card for years. It only works when I roll back the drivers, disable the device in Device manager, reboot, and enable the device. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times.

If you mean the base 1080, the RTX 3050 is actually pretty close to it. But the RX 6600 from AMD is a little bit faster and cheaper.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you mean the base 1080, the RTX 3050 is actually pretty close to it. But the RX 6600 from AMD is a little bit faster and cheaper.

Sounds good, thanks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Unexpected posted:

Thank you, Doctor! I've never considered AMD - ever since I gave it (and... Cyrix) a try about... 20 years ago? And Intel was superior. I will read up on it! And thank you for the remaining extensive feedback. I appreciate it.

Things are most definitely not in favour of Intel today, especially with regards to power efficiency, it's horrendous.

The default absolute "high-end" config for gaming right now is 7800X3D + RTX 4090

The 7950X3D has double the cores, but is only worth considering if productivity workloads are important, it's a compromise for gaming due to its weird layout.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 21, 2024

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
If you're doing mixed productivity and gaming then the i7 14700k is a good choice. If you're just doing gaming the 7800x3d is the way to go. Yeah there's a difference in power consumption under load but if we're talking about pairing them with a 4090 those 50w are kinda small potatoes and they idle similarly.

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006
What's the go to case for someone who only cares about performance, not aesthetics? Looking to house an ATX board with a 14700k and a 4070ti Super. It's not for display, purely 1440p gaming/moonlight/Plex media server/*arr box/PCVR use.

Edit: This is my preliminary build. Any advice would be appreciated. Case has not been included. I wouldn't be opposed to shaving off some edges that may be overkill.

Nuja fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 21, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rookie question here...

I have a 7 year old PowerSpec desktop I purchased from MicroCenter. Everything currently in it is original with a i7 6700k + RTX 970. I'd like to keep the case and power supply.

For something like this should I be worried about a proprietary case and motherboard size? Or should a standard AM4 motherboard fit just fine?

Not sure where to look or how to confirm.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why do you want to keep that stuff? The power supply should be replaced, and newer cases have better designs, generally.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LRADIKAL posted:

Why do you want to keep that stuff? The power supply should be replaced, and newer cases have better designs, generally.

I can afford a new build but I figure waste not, want not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
PSUs have a roughly 10 year max life span and are the one component that can gently caress up everything else. $120 on a good 80+ gold rated PSU is a good investment to replace your old one.

You can keep the case if you want. micro center power spec stuff is standard.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I mentioned I'd post a shot of my daughter's PC in situ a while back after the fantastic help I got from this thread, so I just took this tonight of my little angel murdering people on Fortnite. She loves the computer and it's still running beautifully.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Throw something under that to minimize the dust you're collecting from the carpet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Figured out why my hard drive wasn't working, windows has a dumb as poo poo power saving mode that turns off the ssd at inappropriate moments and cannot turn it back on

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hughmoris posted:

It will be less of a waste if you sell the old one as full working computer to someone who needs it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Join the dark side and do what I did - I upgraded the case, CPU, RAM, and GPU in my main machine, then used the old case with a new PSU, motherboard, and RAM to build a secondary machine around my old CPU and GPU. :science:

For real, though, I'm better than I used to be. I think I only have one old complete machine sitting in my garage, along with a dual Pentium 3 server tower (complete and running the last time I checked) that I keep around for some reason.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I mentioned I'd post a shot of my daughter's PC in situ a while back after the fantastic help I got from this thread, so I just took this tonight of my little angel murdering people on Fortnite. She loves the computer and it's still running beautifully.

Hell yes! Love seeing the finished builds :keke:

Tunicate posted:

Figured out why my hard drive wasn't working, windows has a dumb as poo poo power saving mode that turns off the ssd at inappropriate moments and cannot turn it back on

Oh my god I had a Seagate HDD that had this poo poo on a drive firmware level and it drove me crazy

Dave Thorpe Painting
Aug 9, 2004
Dictator of The World - 2033
No Microcenter
System will be for gaming primarily and video editing
Budget of ~4k
New monitor included in build price
Will be using Avid Media Composer, Ableton Live and some 3d slicers.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YYgcmD

This is what I'm thinking, looking for some input on my build before I pull the trigger. Also looking for the computer to last me 5-7 years, except the video card. The mobo I picked out has PCI-E 5.0 for future compat.

Thank you!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
What country are you in?: Ontario, Canada
Do you live near Microcenter?: I don't think there are microcenter's in Canada
What are you using the system for? : dedicated media server for plex or jellyfin for about 3-5 devices, maybe with room to expand
What's your budget? : Not sure. $200 - $800? We're looking at it as a way to cut-down steaming subs for me and friends so theyd be willing to chip in if it means they can cancel some.

Existing Parts
*peripherals

*spare RAM: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

gaming pc
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4
RAM: 32GB (16x2) G.SKILL TridentZ - DDR-2400 (32GTZRX)
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 Super Phoenix OC - 6GB GDDR6

So I'm looking to build a media server (either plex or jellyfin, will try both and see what I like) that can support at least 5 streaming devices. Plex website gives a rough guideline for CPU benchmark at 2000 per device, so ive been aiming at CPUs with minimum of 10,000 passmark score so I can also have room to support other friends. Hoping to keep transcoding down as I believe most of us will be watching these on similar 1080p monitors but maybe some folks will want to watch on a laptop occasionally?

I've been following the standard purchasing media service advice by checking out used business sff / mini-pc's (hp elitedesks, optiplex etc.) because these usually have deep discounts possible, but I'm not sure if buying a used biz pre-build with these specs will actually net me the kind of deep discounts that are good enough when compared to self-building. Though to be honest I very much would love it if I don't have to actually build it myself, so willing to put a little bit of extra $$$ on that factor.

For example, I'm looking at a used Optiplex 5070 Micro PC i5-9600T 16GB DDR4 256GB m2 SSD for around $330 CAD / $245 USD (OBO) and the CPU at those benchmarks seem like they should be fine for my usecase.

Wish I could just search ebay for used PCs with CPUs based on passmark scores (i built a big multi-list search string using the cpubenchmark.net table but it still brings up false hits) so if anyone has some good tips on that i'd appreciate it.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 22, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Oh hell yeah. Love it. Glad she ended up being happy with it, and that you got to build it along with her.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Nice!

Box wine posted:

Throw something under that to minimize the dust you're collecting from the carpet.

And yeah get like a $5 computer stand off Amazon.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
  • What country are you in? US
  • Do you live near Microcenter? I'm in the great tech capitol of Austin, TX, where we have poo poo-rear end access to anything locally.
  • What are you using the system for? Modded Minecraft, Flight Simulator--planning to start using VR with this, game programming, 3d modeling hobby poo poo, toy music poo poo.
  • What's your budget? Somewhere around $2k apparently. I have given up and know I have to pay out the rear end for GPUs now.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I am using a Dell U2715H as my primary screen which is 2560x1440@60Hz. I intend to get a VR headset some time later. The main factor will be that it has to fit my loving humungous head (a problem when I first tried this many years ago)
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Unreal Engine with Visual Studio would be a typical thing. I might also do some Linux stuff c/o Raspberry Pi and whatnot so I might be cross-compiling the Linux kernel. Sometimes I'll run a VM.

It looks like I'll wind up getting Win11 because of the game and audio stuff. I don't feel like being a hero getting Flight Simulator and VR (especially with my personal experience with Nvidia drivers) on Linux.

I get an Intel discount for processors so it's cheaper for me to get a 14900K than to get an AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D. Comes with complementary graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($549.99 @ Newegg) I get this cheaper.
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($238.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6800 CL34 Memory ($239.99 @ Newegg) I heard the thing now is to actually half-populate the memory banks.
Storage: Corsair MP700 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($779.99 @ Amazon) This is a placeholder assuming those $799 4070Ti Supers actually happen.
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2378.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-22 01:57 EST-0500

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Thanks for the pointers, following on from that I've made a few tweaks to what I had before.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£352.00 @ MoreCoCo)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (£131.65 @ NeoComputers)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (£109.44 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£149.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card (£589.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.90 @ Computer Orbit)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£109.90 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1554.89

A few quick questions before I actually pull the trigger and start ordering parts, sorry if any of these are crushingly obvious:
1) does the manufacturer of a part make much of a difference? I went with an MSI 4070 super because I trust the name, does it make much difference though?
2) other than input/output options, how much difference does the motherboard make? I don't need WiFi or anything so I went with a pretty basic one that (I think) still has the outputs I need. Am I limiting myself in some way that I'm not aware of?
3) I get a power supply compatibility warning about ensuring I don't daisy chain or use the same power cable for the GPU. Is this as straightforward to avoid as it sounds, or am I causing myself a build headache when it comes to putting it all together?
4) given the power of the CPU I'm putting into this, is there scope for adding more RAM or swapping to a more powerful GPU down the line if I want to upgrade? Is it likely that the motherboard/PSU I've chosen would support that?

I think that's everything. Thanks for the support and patience with the newbie questions. I'm a nervous consumer at the best of times, let alone with things with so many variables.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
For the Canadian Goons, make sure to check https://www.memoryexpress.com for your computer parts. My last 4 builds (over 20 years) have had most of their parts from Mem express. Much better than NewEgg.

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

• What country are you in? US
  • Do you live near Microcenter? I'm in the great tech capitol of Austin, TX, where we have poo poo-rear end access to anything locally.
  • What are you using the system for? Modded Minecraft, Flight Simulator--planning to start using VR with this, game programming, 3d modeling hobby poo poo, toy music poo poo.
  • What's your budget? Somewhere around $2k apparently. I have given up and know I have to pay out the rear end for GPUs now.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I am using a Dell U2715H as my primary screen which is 2560x1440@60Hz. I intend to get a VR headset some time later. The main factor will be that it has to fit my loving humungous head (a problem when I first tried this many years ago)
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Unreal Engine with Visual Studio would be a typical thing. I might also do some Linux stuff c/o Raspberry Pi and whatnot so I might be cross-compiling the Linux kernel. Sometimes I'll run a VM.

It looks like I'll wind up getting Win11 because of the game and audio stuff. I don't feel like being a hero getting Flight Simulator and VR (especially with my personal experience with Nvidia drivers) on Linux.

I get an Intel discount for processors so it's cheaper for me to get a 14900K than to get an AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D. Comes with complementary graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($549.99 @ Newegg) I get this cheaper.
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($238.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6800 CL34 Memory ($239.99 @ Newegg) I heard the thing now is to actually half-populate the memory banks.
Storage: Corsair MP700 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($779.99 @ Amazon) This is a placeholder assuming those $799 4070Ti Supers actually happen.
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2378.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-22 01:57 EST-0500

In response to your worries about head size and VR, I recently purchased a Quest 3 with a Kiwi Design elite strap. My head is massive and I'm able to fit it just fine, with plenty of extra room to make it even bigger if necessary. You might want to check your IPD though, if your head is that massive you might be out of the acceptable range.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
for some reason, the aorus b550/b650 boards have a reputation of coil whine(!), which i didn't think was something you needed to worry about, but are there other b550/b650 boards with a similar reputation? it sounds like newer revision might not be a guarantee against coil whine either

i'm thinking of replacing my x470 with a b550, but all the boards cost more or less the same here in europe without any cool discounts like what you americans get. hwub even did a build stream yesterday with an aorus card, and people seem to like them otherwise

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Why do you want to replace your X470 with a B550? What are you looking to get out of that, specifically?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the x470 has a weird mish-mash of pci3 and pci2, and i just want some better i/o, probably without compromising on slots by going sub-atx

i'm probably going to move from ssd's to nvme, so i'd like a least one pci4 connection

my dependence on fan headers and usb ports has also gone down quite a bit, so that makes it easier to move away from higher-end boards. i can probably manage with only four sata ports as well. and if i can get bluetooth 5.0 along with it, that's not bad either

i'm probably also going to move from air cooling to aio, so hopefully managing fan curves between bios and dodgy software won't be the bane of my existence like it used to

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Interesting intentions, but what are the reasons. Are you really doing an extensive motherboard swap for faster SSD's? What's your usage scenario?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
come to think of it, i think my board also steals lanes from the main 3x16 slot for the gpu if i use both nvme slots, and i'm thinking of getting a second one

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
What country are you in? Sweden
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Around $2500, maybe higher.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I think it's time to go from 1080 to 1440, ideally 120+ fps, but I don't really think having to cap it at 60 is a deal breaker, especially for new games.

I'm currently looking at something like

Phanteks Eclipse G360A Mid Tower
MSI GeForce RTX 4070 VENTUS 2X OC
AMD Ryzen 5 7600 MPK CPU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 ARGB CPU Cooler
Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5 6000MHz 32GB
Kingston KC3000 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD 2TB
MSI B650 Gaming Plus WIFI Motherboard
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 V2 PSU
AOC 27" Monitor Q27G2U/BK
Windows 11 Home

Does anything stick out as a poor choice?
This would run me about $2175, and I'm wondering if it's worth maybe going for a 4070ti or a better CPU? Are curved monitors good?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mymla posted:

What country are you in? Sweden
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Around $2500, maybe higher.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I think it's time to go from 1080 to 1440, ideally 120+ fps, but I don't really think having to cap it at 60 is a deal breaker, especially for new games.

I'm currently looking at something like

Phanteks Eclipse G360A Mid Tower
MSI GeForce RTX 4070 VENTUS 2X OC
AMD Ryzen 5 7600 MPK CPU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 ARGB CPU Cooler
Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR5 6000MHz 32GB
MSI B650 Gaming Plus WIFI Motherboard
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 V2 PSU
AOC 27" Monitor Q27G2U/BK
Windows 11 Home

Does anything stick out as a poor choice?
This would run me about $2175, and I'm wondering if it's worth maybe going for a 4070ti or a better CPU? Are curved monitors good?

Changed to a better CPU for gaming, much better CPU cooler, similar RAM but I think cheaper, one 4TB 990 Pro SSD instead of two 2TB SSDs is cheaper, similar-ish PSU that I know is rated well, 4070 Super, same monitor and motherboard. 26,826.35 Swedish Krona, which I think is about $2570 USD. Get Windows from SA Mart for like $20 USD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (kr4990.00 @ Dustin Home)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (kr518.00 @ Dustin Home)
Motherboard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (kr2236.00 @ Proshop)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (kr1437.00 @ Computersalg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (kr3790.00 @ Proshop)
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card (kr7799.00 @ Dustin Home)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case (kr1071.35 @ Amazon Sweden)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (kr1190.00 @ Komplett)
Monitor: AOC Q27G2U/BK 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor (kr3795.00 @ Komplett)
Total: kr26826.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-22 18:24 CET+0100

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mymla posted:

I think it's time to go from 1080 to 1440, ideally 120+ fps, but I don't really think having to cap it at 60 is a deal breaker, especially for new games.
Are curved monitors good?

There's a dedicated monitor thread you should direct your questions to, but you won't need to cap your frame rates - VRR will adjust the refresh rate of your monitor to match the fps output from your computer.

And I would say curved monitors are meh.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Sorry, but I don't frequent this forum often - I'm interested in game dev with UE5 and was wondering if there was a dedicated thread (for game dev in general or UE5) that focuses on the hardware aspect specifically. It'd be nice to see what people recommend for a dev setup.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Sorry, but I don't frequent this forum often - I'm interested in game dev with UE5 and was wondering if there was a dedicated thread (for game dev in general or UE5) that focuses on the hardware aspect specifically. It'd be nice to see what people recommend for a dev setup.

There's a game dev thread but it's more software focused afaik:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Branch Nvidian posted:

Changed to a better CPU for gaming, much better CPU cooler, similar RAM but I think cheaper, one 4TB 990 Pro SSD instead of two 2TB SSDs is cheaper, similar-ish PSU that I know is rated well, 4070 Super, same monitor and motherboard. 26,826.35 Swedish Krona, which I think is about $2570 USD. Get Windows from SA Mart for like $20 USD.

Thanks for the help!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Just wanted to share for anyone interested in the Fractal North, I wouldn’t recommend the glass side version. The glass panel has no actual tab or way to grasp it to remove it aside from pulling on the loose thumbscrews or to try flat palming the glass itself. Feels real real dicey. Seems like a weird oversight considering the top cover has a nice leather tab to pull on. It also had some cybertruck tier panel gap in some places, at least on the white/glass version. I was also disappointed in the very limited cutouts around the board for routing. Ended up returning it despite how nice it looked from the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Because I'm dumb as gently caress as I just borrowed the list of someone who posted earlier, which resulted in this:

Monitor(new): LG 27GP850-B Ultragear Gaming Monitor 27” QHD (2560 x 1440) Nano IPS Display, 1ms Response Tim, 165Hz Refresh Rate, NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible, AMD FreeSync Premium, Tilt/Height/Pivot Adjustable Stand

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR5 Ram 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz PC5-48000 CL30 Desktop Memory Module Ram For 600 700 Series Chipset XMP 3.0 Ready Black - FF3D532G6000HC30DC01

CPU Cooler:
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 CPU Air Cooler - Dual Tower, 6 Heat Pipes, 120mm Fan, for AMD/Intel CPUs

Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) Fully Modular Low-Noise Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - 105°C-Rated Capacitors - 80 Plus Gold Efficiency - Modern Standby Support - Black

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini Black TG mATX High-Airflow Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window Computer Case

Graphics Card: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER graphics card (PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X, DLSS 3, HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a, 2.56-slot design, Axial-tech fan design, Auto-Extreme Tech) DUAL-RTX4070S-12G

Unfortunately the ASRock Pro RS AMD B650 AM5 Micro ATX DDR5 Motherboard was put on backorder without telling me and I am currently beefing with NewEgg as a result. I'm hoping someone can identify a roughly equivalent replacement that I can order from Amazon - assuming this setup even works. The fact that I can't retrace my steps on the poo poo I ordered has me a little concerned. If there are recommendations you'd make for other parts I might as well return and replace them at this point so lemme know. I purchased the MB for $150 but heck i'll go 50, hundred bucks over that if it means I can get the god drat poo poo

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 22, 2024