Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

hoiyes posted:

I'm would check eBay. The plasmancer comes in the Necron Royal Court which is a big expensive box, but it recently came up in the imperium magazine so there's probably people still parting out those kits for reasonable amounts.
The Technomancer also came out in Imperium magazine, so again ebay might have some for sale.

I was expecting it to be the Genestealer Brood Hive, Necron Edition, in terms of price. A hundred and twenty-five bucks, though? Jesus Christ, even for two bigger models that’s a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Imagine having to explain to a judge that you can’t file in small claims court because your space mans are so expensive

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If anybody plays toy armies with a spouse and hasn't clearly delineated whose armies are whose before you put the rings on, well, lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If anybody plays toy armies with a spouse and hasn't clearly delineated whose armies are whose before you put the rings on, well, lol

explaining to my fiancee that we need a prenup to protect my stormsurges

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
if you collect different armies but hobby together you can simply play each other for it

with judges involved i hope

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A full Phoenix Wright style courtroom where someone shouts “Objection!” when you move your unit with the Fly keyword wrong.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ashcans posted:

Imagine having to explain to a judge that you can’t file in small claims court because your space mans are so expensive

yeah that's the real challenge. small claims court sees poo poo like that all the time but someone mashing up your forgeworld horus heresy army and you have to start putting up a retainer for a lawyer

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The problem isn't who owns the armies; those are easy to divide. It's who owns the paint and the brushes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Whoever licked the brush last.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

So the cats.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you jest, but when i looked up the replacement cost for a full set of series 7s there was a strong discussion with my wife about "what do you mean you threw them in a random box? the entire garage is full of random boxes?"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

you jest, but when i looked up the replacement cost for a full set of series 7s there was a strong discussion with my wife about "what do you mean you threw them in a random box? the entire garage is full of random boxes?"

Rosemarys are half the price and just as good (especially after the W&N QC problems)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i bought a cheap set of Artis Opus until the mystery box is found but appreciate the thought :tipshat:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

From my personal experience Artis Opus Series S were pretty disappointing. A few only lasted about a year and I did my best to take care of them since they come with brush soap, but about half of them couldn't stand up to my oppressive painting regiment of two models a month.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I really like Monument Hobbies brushes

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
well hopefully they last long enough to find my good brushes. i had like multiples of a few and i know my wife didnt throw them away right?

*anakin*

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just cross postin from the mini painting thread

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Good lord that's fantastic

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Thinking about it and a bit disappointed that they went with a green flash design as a style choice. Instead of the Royal Armoured Corps flash as a recognition marking. Which would kind of be the fitting reason for why all of the new Guard tanks are stuck with the crusader marking.

Then again, I don't know if there's already an explanation for why Cadians use a crusader marking on their tanks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Because someone saw and thought it looked cool probably. v:v:v

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Demilich posted:

Good lord that's fantastic

This is not an empty quote.

In all seriousness, I hope to reach that level of good someday.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol at GW

"we cancleed all the scalpers orders"

and when the queue opens it starts with "your wait is over an hour"

2 minutes later

"the queue is paused"

:bravo:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Maybe it's a good sign, and they're pausing to weed out scalpers? :shobon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah i pretty much wrote off getting one, but figured id give it one more shot. I got one of the deathwing boxes but this loving book seems like chasing rainbows for sure. youd think there would be a better way to do it but :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ah the pause is done

"your estimated wait time is more than an hour"

:smith:

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

ah the pause is done

"your estimated wait time is more than an hour"

:smith:

Re-paused. This is what I get for liking the dumb rear end collectables like this and maps. Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
really stoked for the "sold out" finish to this.

a legit lottery would be less frustrating.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Might have a bigger chance at winning too.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran
Sold out.

The loving thing never even opened a loving queue. Jesus this is so frustrating.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol did they kill the queue? mine still shows me in it its just paused joined it about 10:45 EST

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
LOL ok they just put up a message in the queue "thank you for your patience. Unfortunately the End of the Death: Volume III (Special Edition) has sold out.

cant even get the title correct

pathetic.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
It's also funny that they make their entire store inoperable for pre-orders. I just wanted to check an order of paints and see if it shipped. Nope, queue. Want to buy something else that's not on pre-order? Sit in a queue.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that's the big annoyance with the system, in my case I was going to check some pictures of Lelith Hesperax and see how well I could convert it into an AoS mini, only to be met with a queue prompt. And then I vaguely remembered what they were doing today.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
How do you all choose which colours to work with? I'm getting into the painting stage and it's overwhelming trying to decide between which shades go with what base and which paint highlights best. There's probably diminishing returns and you just need to pick a thing at some point but any rules of thumb would be good.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Just cross postin from the mini painting thread

Just that level of detail at that scale is something else

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pick which color you like best or think looks good and go with that.

Put it on a model, change your mind, scrap everything and start over.

Personally I discovered the joys of putting paint down on a palette and just looking at it and not being able to make a decision.

Edit: I would suggest practicing some restraint with fun bright colors, but maybe that's just me. I love how eye catching they look, but when you try to paint up a whole squad or an army like that it gets to be a bit too much. But I don't know if that's something you can tell ahead of time.

Like say look at one of those extremely well painted armies from the games-workshop contest

at a certain distance those splotches of bright red really stand out and don't quiet fit with the rest of the colors, perspective really matters in these things I guess.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 24, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Testikles posted:

How do you all choose which colours to work with? I'm getting into the painting stage and it's overwhelming trying to decide between which shades go with what base and which paint highlights best. There's probably diminishing returns and you just need to pick a thing at some point but any rules of thumb would be good.

Depends on how art brained you want to go. Some people like to play with layered colours, others prefer a paint by numbers workflow.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Testikles posted:

Here, I'd say you wanna get down to the very basics of art theory. Get a color wheel out and see what colors work well together, then throw some contrast in. Find paints that match the look that you want best, grab a basic-rear end black-and-white marine template online, get the hex codes for Citadel (or whatever paint) paint pots, and start throwing things together. Eventually you end up with something that really works.

Another good thing to think about is the mood that you want your army to have. Something brash and aggressive is going to have a lot of bright colors, something that sneaks is going to go for cooler tones closer to shadow or camouflage. Look at nature and other pieces of media for inspiration, there's a couple combos that tend to work and keep getting reused like blue-and-orange, blue-and-red... above all, keep playing with things and you'll find something that fits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Testikles posted:

A mix of looking at pictures of other minis for ideas, painting guides that I find interesting and thinking "what colour haven't I used in a while?".
The last one in particular can be fun just to break things up a little. Pretty sure I'm overdue on painting something bright, but we'll see how that goes.