Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am ok with it so far, except for the totally forced and unnecessary connections to season 1 that I am sure HBO forced on the writers (the show was pitched as its own thing and not true detective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The corpsicle is good. It is gruesome enough for an episode of Hannibal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dmitri-9 posted:

The corpsicle is good. It is gruesome enough for an episode of Hannibal.

Pretty sure there's an episode of Pushing Daisies called "Corpsicle" as well. lmao

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm really enjoying it so far. There are genuinely creepy moments and that hasn't been true since the dude in the bird mask from early s2.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've designed background posters/print material for TV shows and commercials many times in my career (though on a WAY lower scale of importance than something on HBO, mostly reality sports stuff) and i just want to say that if AI Generated Posters aren't an actual PLOT POINT or INTENTIONAL JOKE then everyone involved in that should for sure be fired.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

I should never have gone into Issa López's replies.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mug of Glop posted:

This literally makes no sense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"It was actually subtle commentary on how lovely AI is" is one of the least believable excuses ever uttered lmao.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

joepinetree posted:

I am ok with it so far, except for the totally forced and unnecessary connections to season 1 that I am sure HBO forced on the writers (the show was pitched as its own thing and not true detective).

100% the deal was “we’ll only make this if you add material from this focus-grouped/AI-generated list of the top seven things True Detective viewers from our most desired demographics want to see. Add five to your scripts by the end of the week.”

So far it’s just names and things that you could do a find/replace on that are of no consequence to the story, but it’s already extremely distracting even if it goes nowhere, because the legacy of this season will be that they kept teasing Rust Cohle and never delivered (delivering would be worse).

Never remind people of a better tv show when they’re watching your tv show, imo.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

They should just go ahead and say that they found out like three days ago that they couldn't use posters they filmed with due to some sort of extremely believable fuckery by David Zaslav and just had to edit in stupid fake ones on the Saturday afternoon before airtime.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I give it a strong chance that a certain someone will appear on the last episode with some non-snooty beer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Every bit of public discussion of this season Lopez has done sounds like she’s delivering a prepared statement at gunpoint. Someone could just tell the truth about having to replace something at the last minute or someone making a mistake. Mistakes can be endearing and funny. People love that part of Star Wars where Mark Hamill yells “Carrie!” at the end.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Every bit of public discussion of this season Lopez has done sounds like she’s delivering a prepared statement at gunpoint. Someone could just tell the truth about having to replace something at the last minute or someone making a mistake. Mistakes can be endearing and funny. People love that part of Star Wars where Mark Hamill yells “Carrie!” at the end.

Well even her talking about incels voting the show down on rotten tomatoes and you look at the score and it’s generally pretty good.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I love that Ennis is so remote even a bruiser cop like Navarro doesn't lock her doors.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I really hate that Travis is Rusts dad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty sure there's an episode of Pushing Daisies called "Corpsicle" as well. lmao

I associate the term with 70s sci-fi where it was always used to refer to people frozen in cryogenic sleep. Larry Niven used it in a ton of his stories.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Every interview I've seen or heard of her is her just doubling down on how much she loves season 1 and how inspired she was by season 1, to the degree that it really comes across as a mandate to remind people of it. She even claimed in one I just listened to that she cast Jodi Foster because Silence of the Lambs was an influence on Seven, which was an influence on season 1, so she wanted to go back to the deep inspiration for the first season. In the end just being so repeatedly blatant about season 1 I really think is a disservice to this season.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

it sucks rear end like this season lol

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mug of Glop posted:

Me when I’m lying

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ya'll are really gun-ho to hate this. It's not as good as S1 so far, but it doesn't seem bad enough to warrant "lol this season is garbage" yet.

As far as the guy being Rust's dad. :shrug:. We'll see how far they lean into that. If they go the Fargo approach where it's mentioned but not a prerequisite for understanding what's going on, that'll be fine. Whatever. If it does become a plot point that Rust has The Shining from his dad... that will bad.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I do not hate this season in fact I think it’s just fine but I do hate the forced season 1 references. Just the spiral would have been enough/better.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they’re going to lean into it as far as they have with the spiral being on people’s foreheads and tattooed on them lol which is to say extremely far

I’d be happy to be wrong, but it’s 1/3st over so my expectations are incredibly low

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think this season is really bad. Nobody acts like a human and not in a subversive David Lynch way. Music cues are terrible the mystery isn’t interesting. Writing is super bad. I also hate the lighting.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Ya'll are really gun-ho to hate this. It's not as good as S1 so far, but it doesn't seem bad enough to warrant "lol this season is garbage" yet.

But it had bad looking posters in one scene! Obviously that makes the entire season garbage.

Enjoying it so far although I was surprised to learn it's only a 6 episode season. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise since it means only four more weeks of poster-chat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheBizzness posted:

It's the classic nu-Star Wars thing, where everyone is related to the old stuff and the universe ends up feeling tiny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is something lynchian about those posters, in that they’re unsettling at a level just below your conscious awareness unless you look right at them.

I don’t think the whole season is bad—I’m enjoying it for the most part. Kind of intrigued about the cop dad’s own son saying that he was raised by a monster to be a monster. He seems like of selfish and bigoted yes, but basically like a bumbling boomer dad. I have to wonder if he’s actually pretty solid and just weird because he escaped a bad family. Like, he’s not building a Mare-of-Easttown abduction cell in the basement for his mail-order bride but earnestly trying to do things that he thinks will make her happy based on what she tells him (it is some kind of scam and Russian mobsters will try to kill him/Jodie Foster is catfishing him as a hop by and that’s the “fantasy football” she’s getting notifications about). Maybe we find out his real family name is Childress but he changed it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

As far as the guy being Rust's dad. :shrug:. We'll see how far they lean into that. If they go the Fargo approach where it's mentioned but not a prerequisite for understanding what's going on, that'll be fine. Whatever. If it does become a plot point that Rust has The Shining from his dad... that will bad.

Exodor posted:

But it had bad looking posters in one scene! Obviously that makes the entire season garbage.

Enjoying it so far although I was surprised to learn it's only a 6 episode season. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise since it means only four more weeks of poster-chat.

I was just about to ask if anyone actually likes the show and wants to talk about the things they like. I figured, dang these hate watchers must have some other really good shows on right now to measure this against I need to check those out but no. They are just actively discussing this.

Like why would I hate that Travis is rust's dad? His dad was barely mentioned in s1. What is there to lose?

The tie in's so far are also really vague. Tuttle corp? The spiral? What deserves this much panic by episode 2?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sickening posted:

I was just about to ask if anyone actually likes the show and wants to talk about the things they like. I figured, dang these hate watchers must have some other really good shows on right now to measure this against I need to check those out but no. They are just actively discussing this.

Like why would I hate that Travis is rust's dad? His dad was barely mentioned in s1. What is there to lose?

The tie in's so far are also really vague. Tuttle corp? The spiral? What deserves this much panic by episode 2?

Because making a shared universe is not only done to death but also cheapens this tv show and pretty much confirms they didn’t have enough confidence to run with it on their own. Also it isn’t just that spiral is prominent it’s how prominent the spiral is without actually explaining why it’s interesting at all. Like I said earlier too I think the writing sucks and the lighting is awful, and every music cue has felt out of place

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should have made this be a Mare of Easttown tie in rather than True Detective

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

mystes posted:

They should have made this be a Mare of Easttown tie in rather than True Detective

It would've been fun if they'd made it the crossover between Mare of Easttown and The Outsider.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Fargo ended last week and Masters of the Air starts later this week. So it's probably true that True Detective S4 is the best thing currently airing on TV right now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Make like an Avengers superteam but it’s different kinds of ethnic whites from across all the hbo crime series.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Because making a shared universe is not only done to death but also cheapens this tv show and pretty much confirms they didn’t have enough confidence to run with it on their own. Also it isn’t just that spiral is prominent it’s how prominent the spiral is without actually explaining why it’s interesting at all. Like I said earlier too I think the writing sucks and the lighting is awful, and every music cue has felt out of place

I promise you, nobody will think less of you if don't watch the show you totally hate. It doesn't seem you have much left to enjoy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sickening posted:

I promise you, nobody will think less of you if don't watch the show you totally hate. It doesn't seem you have much left to enjoy.

I never thought they would. I just decided to give the show a chance and haven’t been enjoying it and looked for a place to talk about it. Am I required to post about how good I think it is?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the biggest issue is that there just isn't that much suspense yet

I don't really care that much because I'm enjoying the setting and I don't really have anything else I'm watching right now, and I'm assuming it will pick up more, but I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to wait until it ends to find out how it's received before watching it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
As for things I actually like about the show, I’m really enjoying the police work. The scene where they’re asking questions at the ice rink was good, imo.

I hate that Travis is Rusts dad because it’s shoehorned in for no reason. The Tuttle reference and the Spiral I don’t mind so much since they actually can tie the seasons together in a meaningful way.

Perhaps they’ll prove me wrong but I’m guessing it never gets mentioned again and was just lame rear end fan service.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

IMO episode 2 neither worsened nor improved the mediocrity of the season thus far

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t think complaining about something means you hate the show. I don’t like the stuff from season one being all over because I think it will inevitably overshadow any original stuff, which is what I’m excited to see. And I think the season one stuff can’t really satisfy because it’s something demanded by the executives that they seem to want to overshadow everything else.

So I hate that stuff, but that’s because I like other things in the show.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The Spiral reminds me of the joke about the Illuminati hiding cryptic symbols everywhere: if you're a secret organization (Tuttle?) who wishes to remain undetected/in the shadows, why would you put your calling card everywhere for people to easily find and connect back to you?

So either the symbols mean nothing and are a red herring, or they do mean something and A Wizard Did It. I'm not excited for either option.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I like the show and I like that we got to see the frozen dicks of the dudes in the ice. Looking forward to more frozen dicks but NO TITTYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm constantly yelling at my television "SHOW HOG YOU COWARDS" so I am also thankful