Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
We're lighting the bawfuls signal here

Go ahead and post your perfectly balanced schedule with a shorter regular season bawfuls ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's good and so is the mandatory postseason expansion that goes with it!

(but also it's 154 games so still too many for Rendon)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You know what I could go for right now? Some baseball!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There always seems to be one high profile player in the league who makes no bones about hating baseball and only playing it because it’s incredibly lucrative

Rendon picked up the baton from Jeff Kent

After he really retires and not functionally retires, we’ll find out Jackson Holliday only plays because his dad made him, or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

How bout some funny ejection reasons

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’ve always wondered if Rendon’s “cool as ice” demeanor in high pressure at bats is fueled by not giving a poo poo.

I love baseball and I also think the season should be shortened to at least NPB’s 143-games. I don’t particularly care for the WS stretching past Halloween now, but if MLB wants to keep the calendar length and add more rest days then sure whatever.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

been saying this

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

Baseball hasn't been the same since Chicken Wolf and Oyster Burns retired

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bravesword posted:

There always seems to be one high profile player in the league who makes no bones about hating baseball and only playing it because it’s incredibly lucrative

Rendon picked up the baton from Jeff Kent

After he really retires and not functionally retires, we’ll find out Jackson Holliday only plays because his dad made him, or something

Jeff King was the guy that literally retired on the day he hit 10.000 years of service time and fully vested his pension.

e: Johnny Bench was reputed to have said to his about-to-be-ex-wife one fall, "Now I'm finally done with two things I hate: baseball and you"

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 22, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A good way to make something less fun is to make it "work". But yeah given how driven professional athletes have to be and how much they have to sacrifice and work to attain even the bottom rungs of the top leagues, not to mention all-star tier. It's incredible to me when someone who likes baseball as much as we like our jobs is able to be successful. Imagine if Rendon liked playing baseball

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1749457309695144325

I liked him

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 22, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Most baseball players enjoy playing baseball. There are some who don't really care as long as the paychecks clear, and a few who outright hate it like Rendon, but in my experience they're the minority.

Now quite a few like the actual playing baseball just fine but aren't as wild about all the work you have to do outside of the actual games.

e: It's no coincidence that Rendon was a #6 pick (only that low because of bonus demands IIRC) and Jeff King was a #1 pick. Even if you loathe baseball, if you're that good at it and people are lining up to pay you millions to play it, then hell yes you play it (with minimum necessary effort). Like I hate cleaning the kitchen, but if I was born really awesome at cleaning kitchens and people wanted to pay me millions to do it, then of course I would make my career cleaning kitchens... right up until the day I'm financially set for life, and not a day longer.

When King retired he wasn't on a huge long term contract. Rendon can't just retire because he'd lose out on all that money, so he's going through the charade of "oh dear you know I would love to help the team but I'm just so injured, guess you'll just have to pay me 300 million dollars to rehab my injuries for the next 10 years" and waiting for the Angels to give up hope and release him so he can retire and still get the money.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 22, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm posting this entirely to bother one specific poster

https://twitter.com/therealjpap58/status/1749164394812977450

gently caress

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

List incomplete or invalid. This is Adrian Beltre erasure.

I will post this every chance I get.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would have gone with "YOU'RE HERE, AND THIS CREW IS HERE, JUST TO gently caress US!!" as the Earl Weaver/Bill Haller reason

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

John McGraw did nothing wrong

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I have vague memories of that Zambrano one being pretty funny

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

John McGraw did nothing wrong

"McGraw was ejected from games 13 times, a personal record, and Pittsburgh owner Barney Dreyfuss sought to have McGraw disciplined after the manager shouted accusations at him after one ejection. The league Board of Directors refused to suspend McGraw, and when NL president Harry Pulliam suspended McGraw for 15 games for accusing Pulliam of being Dreyfuss's lackey, the suspension was overturned by a court"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hughie Jennings getting ejected twice in three days for blowing a whistle is pretty funny

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Didn’t mind McHugh but good lord did he fall off a cliff at the end of last season. Sometimes it just all gives out at once.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah I wonder why he's retiring, McHugh wasn't particularly good but he wasn't especially bad either, especially with how teams will just overload on middling relievers nowadays.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He didn't say in his retirement announcement on instagram (which is a really good one)

quote:

I was never the best player on any team I played for. Including my 7th grade church league team, on which I played catcher. I never did travel baseball. I went to a small private high school (@providenceacdmy) and a small NAIA college (@berrycollege). I got drafted in the 18th round by the @mets, most likely as a favor to my college coach. I threw 90 mph. I was NEVER supposed to make it out of A ball.

16 years later, it’s finally time for me to hang ‘em up. And as cringey as it might sound, I’m proud of myself. Proud that I didn’t give up. Proud of the clubhouses I’ve been lucky enough to have a locker in. Proud to be a member of the @mlbpa alongside this generation of amazing ballplayers.

To the @Mets, @Rockies, @Astros, @RedSox, @RaysBaseball, and my hometown @Braves. Thanks for taking a chance on a kid like me. I’ll never forget it ❤️

And don’t worry, I’m pretty sure I’ll be around the game forever. So if we see each other at a park near you, come say hey! ⚾️

You can go far with a really good curve.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Bandire posted:

List incomplete or invalid. This is Adrian Beltre erasure.

I will post this every chance I get.

Proof that every ejection on that list that involves an umpire was the wrong call.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I love the umpire’s double-take and “no!” when he starts moving it.

18-6 game, you’re a lock for the HoF, gently caress it, have some fun.

My other contender is Lou Piniella going out and screaming at the umpire that it was a good call but I gotta stand up for my boys, no disrespect, as he’s doing the Lou Piniella routine.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 22, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
One of the funnier non-ejections I've personally witnessed in a week day rec league I play in. It was a late night game and we were tied, guy on the other team was complaining that he wanted to go home and was getting in arguments trying to get himself tossed and the ump finally told him that he wouldn't eject him because if he has to be out here himself this late then so does he.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I called an umpire a magnificent cocksucker in a rec league game, but it was after he'd already thrown me out for blowing up the shortstop on a double play. (It was accidental, I'm just big and uncoordinated and faster than a big guy should be but cannot stop, and never imagined the second baseman would go to second with the ball and was lighting out for third on the presumed throw to first--so I did not slide and loving destroyed the poor guy)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Settle down Chase

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

zoux posted:

Umpire baiting (praise strike zone)

Goddamned, that's good.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

zoux posted:

Pickles Dillhoefer

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Way balls rubbed, before game

Yeah, that one chafes me, too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Interesting that Don Zimmer has been thrown to the ground at least twice during a baseball game

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I forgot about Robbie Ray's national anthem standoff, lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Hughie Jennings getting ejected twice in three days for blowing a whistle is pretty funny

From the reddit thread

quote:

Jennings constantly picked blades of grass and chewed on them until the area around the coaching box was bare. His signs were just simple words like “bunt” or “steal” mixed into his chatter. With his constant motion, characteristic poses and grass plucking, the opposition never caught on. He also perfected a shrill whistle by putting his two middle fingers in his mouth, which annoyed opposing teams throughout the league.

Some other comments in there did the leg work of "looking up some guy from the dead ball era to see why he called the umpire "a squareheaded maroon""

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
brb, gonna run out to the store in an intimidating manner.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
guessing Bobby Cox isn’t on that list because he would usually start out by telling the ump to toss him

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Explosionface posted:

Way balls rubbed, before game

Yeah, that one chafes me, too

lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only reason people are mad at Rendon for not liking baseball is that he's been hurt and bad a bunch. Jokic's whole gimmick is that he loving hates basketball and considers the fact that he has to play it a boring chore but nobody cares because he keeps winning MVP.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I think it's in Ball Four that when Bouton was in the bullpen all the relievers loving hated baseball because they'd sat through literally thousands of games

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Steve McMichael was no Sleve McDichael

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thanks for reminding me Carlos Zambrano threw the ump out. Also destroyed the gatorade machine, the dumbest (most funny) thing anyone ever put in a dugout.

Now where's that Cody Bellinger contract, Cubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well this sucks

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1749516434357600527?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA