Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can't trust proles with drugs. What if they suddenly lower the value they generate for our shareholders? That would be unacceptable.
Additionally, sponsoring the organized crime is a bonus, when you think about it. Without it, we wouldn't be able to fearmonger the general populace into voting for us and reluctantly accepting us passing increasingly more authoritarian police-state laws.
So the War on Drugs is just a Win/Win/Win situation all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve worked and lived with cokeheads and hypocrites.

One group, so long as the job is done, is fine to work and live life with. The other, I wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire.

If you’re going to stand by some of the most lethal and hideously outdated drug laws, you should be piss, saliva, blood and hair tested before you leave the house daily.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/thomas-bodstrom-smiter-fran-drogtest/

quote:

Förre justitieministern Thomas Bodström gick med på att låta sig drogtestas.

Tills han fick höra vad sjuksköterskan skulle kolla - då nekade han:

- Äh, jag struntar i det. Jag bara känner det, säger Bodström i ett klipp utlagt på P3 Nyheters sajt.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

We're sending some kind of computer touching nerd, but you can do some real war criming with computers these days.

Also a frigate with a crew of 175.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Anders posted:

Jokke (Joachim Nilsen) said it wisely

That said, after a while the drugs and alcohol caught up with Jokke, and he died around 25 years ago from O.D. - but he wrote the song while he was still making good money from music. As long as you can afford drugs most aren't that dangerous - but if you can't afford it you'll start sleeping outside to use rent money on the corner

iirc jokke got "sober" (kom tilbake til Kong Alkohol) and had a relapse, taking the same dose that he'd been taking while actively using without the tolerance and that's probably what killed him

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

All nerds!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

V. Illych L. posted:

had a relapse, taking the same dose that he'd been taking while actively using without the tolerance

He certainly wouldn't be the first to do that. Nor the last.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

One of the ones that can't shoot?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

One of the ones that can't shoot?

No, those are patrol boats with crews of only 18.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They can shoot, the issue is that they can't aim.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

KozmoNaut posted:

Depends on if it's before or after the free beer served at lunch

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sp has to step away from kunnskapsdepartementet. it is clearly not good for them.

sandra borch, the second of two ministers clearly uninterested in the field, has now resigned over a complete bush league plagiarism scandal where she, like a loving moron copied whole paragraphs of text from other master's theses verbatim.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

sandra borch, the second of two ministers clearly uninterested in the field, has now resigned over a complete bush league plagiarism scandal where she, like a loving moron copied whole paragraphs of text from other master's theses verbatim.

She even copied the loving typos.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 19, 2024

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Fy faen jeg elsker dette landet

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

If that isn't an euphemism for the last half century of danish politics then I don't know what it is.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lima posted:

If that isn't an euphemism for the last half century of danish politics then I don't know what it is.

Big May 18 1993 energy.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Ingrid Kjerkol (Ap), head of the Health Department, has also come under scrutiny for her Master thesis after Borch was exposed

She has some sort of defense, but I have no idea if it's any good

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Anders posted:

Ingrid Kjerkol (Ap), head of the Health Department, has also come under scrutiny for her Master thesis after Borch was exposed

She has some sort of defense, but I have no idea if it's any good

it's that she was using the same method as someone else and so they were doing it properly by citing the original sources for methods rather than the previous thesis which had used the method

which would be imo bad but not unacceptable (i'm sure that a lot of my methods sections look suspiciously similar to previous work) except that she has also cribbed at least some interpretation of results from the previous thesis

my guess is that they've just copy-pasted the previous thesis and edited as appropriate. this is not a completely uncommon way of working, but it's formally not good.

e. i don't understand what in the world she would've wanted this master's for. she's a grown woman with a parliamentary seat and prominent positions in the labour party apparatus. she literally doesn't need a master's.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

e. i don't understand what in the world she would've wanted this master's for. she's a grown woman with a parliamentary seat and prominent positions in the labour party apparatus. she literally doesn't need a master's.

Better to have no education at all. That way you can't be caught plagiarizing.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Could she have been doing the master's in order to get student aid? Trying to coast through and cheat mostly to supplement her income?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

No. She earned to much to be eligible for the the grant

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's status, among at least some people. On the other hand, I have plenty of Sverigedemokrater at work who simultaneously believe "no one with a university education should be allowed to be a politician because they don't know how real life works" and "politician X (that I don't like) is bad and dumb and smelly because they're not educated enough in their portfolio" so... :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.dn.se/ekonomi/efter-blockaden-sa-loser-tesla-sophanteringen/

Tesla Sweden is making it's employees take company's trash home.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
They're giving them free cars?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If I were a Swedish Tesla worker I'd probably be thinking that joining the union sounds like a pretty good idea just now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

If I were a Swedish Tesla worker I'd probably be thinking that joining the union sounds like a pretty good idea just now.

There's plenty of people that are into working against their own interests.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Don’t kink shame.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

Better to have no education at all. That way you can't be caught plagiarizing.

yeah if you don't have the time to do it properly you can just be a senior politician with limited or even no higher education. the labour party leadership used to be full of people with no higher education and was a much more well-functioning institution when it was

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Potrzebie posted:

Don’t kink shame.

Fitting avatar/post combo

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Jack Trades posted:

Love following Unionens FB page for computer touchers trying to embrace American attitudes to organized labor.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Groda posted:

Love following Unionens FB page for computer touchers trying to embrace American attitudes to organized labor.
Unionen is probably the shittiest union around here, they frequently take the employer's side and have never been helpful to me when I've been a member.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Woebin posted:

Unionen is probably the shittiest union around here, they frequently take the employer's side and have never been helpful to me when I've been a member.

The last good reason to be a member of Unionen disappeared like three years ago when they stopped paying for driver's ed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Oh so incessantly scrutinising previous essays as you’re writing your own is bad? Should I feel worried? I might have to feel worried.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh so incessantly scrutinising previous essays as you’re writing your own is bad? Should I feel worried? I might have to feel worried.

The whole thing is so stupid. She knows if she cheated or not and that she just can't give a straight answer is really telling.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the earlier citations of kjerkol's thesis looked like she was just using a previous thesis as a template and had left in some stuff, which isn't great but is also a fairly common way to make sure your thesis has an acceptable format, and i've never heard of anyone getting disqualified over it. i also have no problem imagining that i have sentences in my texts from that stage of my education which look very much like something i've read somewhere, as well, without those things being attributed to the direct source (so if i were to explain the pythagorean theorem i might subconsciously steal someone else's wording that i read somewhere and cite pythagoras, e.g.).

however, there's more emerging which makes me increasingly skeptical of her academic work here - apparently there are whole small fragments which are highly similar to sintef reports and suchlike. looking awfully much like a liability there, ingvil!

Woebin posted:

there's a local in bergen called unionen (it organises construction workers) which has a pretty good reputation and for a moment i was bewildered

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Also, being the one of the most influential politician in Norway is a completely different thing than being Ola Dunk who works in middle-managment of a medium sized B2B company

My mother was an elected politician in the 90s in Fylkestinget - and ever since she has refused to use any sort of "svartarbeid", because she must hold herself to a different standard due to her being elected previously (she has also held a few political appointments since then, but that's where it started)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Groda posted:

The last good reason to be a member of Unionen disappeared like three years ago when they stopped paying for driver's ed.

And Swedish lessons. I got my dues out of unionen

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Anders posted:

Also, being the one of the most influential politician in Norway is a completely different thing than being Ola Dunk who works in middle-managment of a medium sized B2B company

My mother was an elected politician in the 90s in Fylkestinget - and ever since she has refused to use any sort of "svartarbeid", because she must hold herself to a different standard due to her being elected previously (she has also held a few political appointments since then, but that's where it started)

yeah generally something seems to have really shifted sometime in the 2000s in the mentality of norwegian elected politicians - while people getting drunk and partying too hard has always been a problem (hello giske) i don't think we've ever had a state of affairs where people have been doing this kind of cynical structuring of benefits at this scale before. in labour in particular, party discipline seems completely gone as well,. it's really, really strange

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

It's not strange, by the 70s Ap became the party to be in if you wanted to get a head. "Å ha partiboka i orden" was political lingo as late as the 90s with regards to being a party member to get into the circles of power. It not longer mattered what politics you had anymore, just who your political allies were. Arbeiderpartiet, like Senterpartiet and Høyre are "maktparti" where personal alliances and personal favors are more important than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anders posted:

It's not strange, by the 70s Ap became the party to be in if you wanted to get a head. "Å ha partiboka i orden" was political lingo as late as the 90s with regards to being a party member to get into the circles of power. It not longer mattered what politics you had anymore, just who your political allies were. Arbeiderpartiet, like Senterpartiet and Høyre are "maktparti" where personal alliances and personal favors are more important than anything else

Speaking of, I'm watching Makta and it's really good.