Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
soon you won’t see ice anywhere eh????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

God Hole posted:

does anyone remember that poster who used to share accounts from 18th-century sailors logs in one of the previous iterations of this thread? Anyway I recall one of the accounts describing how they couldn't weigh anchor and leave the bay because the writhing masses of humongous fish were so plentiful and overwhelming that day they were preventing the ship from advancing through the water at all

I had also gone looking for this but of course could not find it. There were multiple descriptions including of how the sea was teeming with whales to the point where they obstructed navigation

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it is a blast to watch this film high as poo poo in a dark room

i get to see this on the big screen this week :sickos:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
look this is a place for lmaos and lols.

Laughing at faster than expected never gets old. Just like generation alpha

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VectorSigma posted:

hmm, 1000? then we'd only need about... 3 billion of these to restore the earth to pre-civilization levels

get to work everyone

So everyone just pair up and make 1. It's like a group project in school.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
i know somebody already said it, but i cant find it right now:

unknown poster posted:

the russians just used a tree

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

and what's the carbon footprint to manufacture a single one of these
lol was gunna say that the energy and ecological destruction to create/smelt/manufacture mining equipment, mining for metals, smelting metals at high-temperature factories into ingots, transporting ingots to a fabrication with fuels, remelting them and pouring them into molds with fuels, welding with acetylene (fuels), transporting with fuels to a place, then transporting a crane (to say nothing of crane fab) to open it, then maintaining it, is easily many thousands in trees

just plant a tree

or even better yet, stop cutting down trees to send to germany as "biofuel" pellets so they can pretend to be green

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Jan 22, 2024

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

in soviet russia, carbon capture you!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someday we're going to invent a perfect carbon capture device that does an amazing job of capturing carbon dioxide and it transforms it back into coal. Then we're going to take that coal and bury it in the abandoned coal mines. Then we're going to dig it up and burn it again and die anyway.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Just make more of them and run them for longer... duh

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

pining for a wet bulb

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Xaris posted:

lol was gunna say that the energy and ecological destruction to create/smelt/manufacture mining equipment, mining for metals, smelting metals at high-temperature factories into ingots, transporting ingots to a fabrication with fuels, remelting them and pouring them into molds with fuels, welding with acetylene (fuels), transporting with fuels to a place, then transporting a crane (to say nothing of crane fab) to open it, then maintaining it, is easily many thousands in trees

smelting has been replaced with enormous lakes of acid and gas power plants to feed the electrowinning process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrowinning

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Unless posted:

smelting has been replaced with enormous lakes of acid and gas power plants to feed the electrowinning process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrowinning

Stay electrowinning

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2 cicada broods are due to emerge this year. what my post supposes is lmao lets see.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I like the sound of cicadas. Very ASMR-esque

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Randy Mann

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Mola Yam posted:

Randy Mann

More of a British thing to be incredulous at, like Fannie Mae

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

the y axis isn’t labeled on that but they do have two temps at the extremes and the funny thing is that we are already above the highest one on the chart lmao

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

and apparently the 'warm' period was localized so using that for global temp is a bust

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period#Global_climate_during_the_Medieval_Warm_Period

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

carefully constructed graphs and charts conclusively demonstrating that we don't have to do or change a single thing whatsoever

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Encrypted posted:

and apparently the 'warm' period was localized so using that for global temp is a bust

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period#Global_climate_during_the_Medieval_Warm_Period

we did it :shobon:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol we're probably still in the ice age we just hosed up so bad we're out of it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

just plant a tree

trees are nature’s way of gluing carbon together

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Even Zodium is outsourcing now

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

planted two trees this weekend. we can close the thread now

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

EXXON SHAREHOLDERS: hey we have some modicum of power over exxon let's try to steer them slightly away from full-steam planet destruction
EXXON: i think the gently caress not

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/22/oil-exxon-mobil-sues-activist-investors-to-stop-shareholder-proposals.html

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

smoobles posted:

Up to 3m in a worst case scenario! Realistically though the inevitable, irreversible melt of that whole area will take between 2000 and 13000 years.

applying [faster than expected] to calculations

ah

3m by 2100

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
it's over

https://twitter.com/SashoTodorov1/status/1749150855100498002

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

So what you're saying is that we have a little extra breathing room for increased emissions? Phew!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

if that’s legit, it’s cool, regardless of anything else.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Too bad the animals and ecosystem that used to be there is impossible to bring back. Nice to have rows and rows of trees with nothing else though

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

Too bad the animals and ecosystem that used to be there is impossible to bring back. Nice to have rows and rows of trees with nothing else though

just wait 30 million years for biodiversity to happen, smh millennials want everything now now now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Baby Sharks count?! :eyepop:

they do (doo do doo do do)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
all those trees are gonna burn down

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

all those trees are gonna burn down

Yeah, but they sequestered some carbon, so it's, like, okay. Don't worry.

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

White Rock posted:

Does anyone have any tips of books/resources of future projections of what is gonna happen in the next 30 years assuming the thread consensus of "we won't do poo poo about climate change"?

Most stuff I find is all about "by 2100..." which is probably a reason why people are so not bothered by climate doom.

A quote I've heard in real life many times is "yeah poo poo is gonna suck for future generations".

Bitch you're in your thirties, shits gonna suck FOR YOU, but also especially for future generations of course.

You could read this: https://www.amazon.com/Our-Final-Warning-Degrees-Emergency-ebook/dp/B07YN9WSN8. It's about the projected effects of each degree rise in global temperatures.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anime was right posted:

lol we're probably still in the ice age we just hosed up so bad we're out of it

there is ice at the poles so yes ice age

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://beta.archivevideomirror.com/library/post/2245

man yelling at oil protestors to get off the road, pointing out they're all wearing plastic clothing and "wasting" petrol by having the stopped cars idle their engines and burn oil without a purpose. he almost comes to the right conclusion. "if you want to stop oil........ just.......... go home! go live in the forest!" he's so close to that final realization: the only way to stop the consumption is to die. lol, lmao.

feels like a defining moment of the time in so many ways. yes, we all know we're doomed. stop struggling, just enjoy the cool air rushing past you as you plummet to the canyon floor miles below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
me personally? im getting some cool prescription goggles so i can stare directly at the canyon floor and appreciate the fine details before the pancake.