Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I was thinking back on the whole string-breaking thing and I'm pretty sure I know what Rothfuss was watching for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKf-mU6QrJs

Except Kvothe has to do it cooler so he just keeps playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
not only was the guy hysterical, but wow has opinion of rothfuss changed over the years

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fobby posted:

I'm thinking of the vignette where he drugs the teenage rape victims and creepily strokes their hair while they're half-conscious because one looks like the girl he's obsessed with, then convinces them that he's not one of the dangerous man as if he's taming a skittish horse, then gives them all the recovered stolen money because they're damaged goods now and the more details I remember the more disgusted I am with that whole book. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the worst scene.

It was really bad. Fun fact, that was actually the short story that got Rothfuss all the attention that led to Kingkiller Chronicles being picked up as a novel. It was just dropped in unedited, which is why the framing story suddenly disappears and the story acts like Kvothe is this mysterious new person you don’t know anything about, so he has to seem dangerous only for the trick-reveal that he’s actually the good guy to work, even though it makes no sense in the actual novel.

Nah.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

cumpantry posted:

not only was the guy hysterical, but wow has opinion of rothfuss changed over the years

I mean, the first page of the thread is from 2017 and nobody there seems any more positive about Rothfuss or the books than they are now. It's not like BotL got run out of town for going against the thread's hivemind of loving the student loan adventures.

Fobby posted:

I'm thinking of the vignette where he drugs the teenage rape victims and creepily strokes their hair while they're half-conscious because one looks like the girl he's obsessed with, then convinces them that he's not one of the dangerous man as if he's taming a skittish horse, then gives them all the recovered stolen money because they're damaged goods now and the more details I remember the more disgusted I am with that whole book. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the worst scene.

In fifteen minutes she was asleep. I covered the two of them with a blanket and watched their faces.
In sleep they were even more beautiful than before. I reached out to brush a strand of hair from Krin’s
cheek. To my surprise, she opened her eyes and stared at me. Not the marble stare she had given me
before, she looked at me with the dark eyes of a young Denna.

I froze with my hand on her cheek. We watched each other for a second. Then her eyes drew closed
again. I couldn’t tell if it was the drug pulling her under, or her own will surrendering to sleep.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

It was really bad. Fun fact, that was actually the short story that got Rothfuss all the attention that led to Kingkiller Chronicles being picked up as a novel.

This is so wild because even on its own it's a bad story that at best is written with proper grammar. Gary Stu wanders into a camp, realizes the people there are all faking who they claim to be, murders them all for it, and then gets to justify it because it turns out they are in fact Bad People while he himself acts like the creepiest 90s cringe antihero possible.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In fifteen minutes she was asleep. I covered the two of them with a blanket and watched their faces.
In sleep they were even more beautiful than before. I reached out to brush a strand of hair from Krin’s
cheek. To my surprise, she opened her eyes and stared at me. Not the marble stare she had given me
before, she looked at me with the dark eyes of a young Denna.

I froze with my hand on her cheek. We watched each other for a second. Then her eyes drew closed
again. I couldn’t tell if it was the drug pulling her under, or her own will surrendering to sleep.

This is the kind of poo poo you'd expect to be written by a rapist and/or serial killer prior to them going over the edge. Which isn't surprising given the kind of "feminist" Rothfuss is and that he looks like a goony eldritch horror that slowly devours hobos and incorporates them into his visage.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I play a bit of guitar and I'm far from any good, but conceptually I could see a couple of approaches.

If it's a chord, he could just play the chord without the missing string and it's possible the audience wouldn't know it, especially if he's singing loudly. You could do tricks like palm muting or pinch harmonics as well to potentially make up for missing elements in a chord, but it would mostly be hiding that the chord wasn't full rather than replacing the missing note.

If it's individual notes, you could potentially play the same note on a different string in a different area of the fretboard, but depending on how far away that note is you'd need really fast hands and your memory would basically have to work like Guitar Hero to immediately start subbing notes in.

No matter what, it wouldn't at all be how your muscle memory remembers the song.

Honestly, I think you're making it sound more impressive and difficult than it really is. You can play the same chords with multiple shapes and you can always move some notes or entire chords up or down an octave.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is so wild because even on its own it's a bad story that at best is written with proper grammar. Gary Stu wanders into a camp, realizes the people there are all faking who they claim to be, murders them all for it, and then gets to justify it because it turns out they are in fact Bad People while he himself acts like the creepiest 90s cringe antihero possible.

It's fine- he feels a socially correct amount of remorse afterwards to indicate he's not a psychopath before a wise old village woman confirms he's in the clear because Some People Need Killing.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

He does a little bit of planting/payoff for the string thing, at least. His time in the idyllic countryside has a hiccup because his father's lute (or whatever) snaps a string and he teaches himself to play the songs without that string. I dunno poo poo about music but that's just how the narrative shows he's prepared and exceptional to beat his bully.

It's probably not how music and playing the lute really works, but at least it's planted.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
P. Rothfuss, stoking his beard thoughtfully: Many lesser writers are amazed by, and envious of, my mastery of the obscure literary technique known as “foreshadowing”.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Chicken Butt posted:

P. Rothfuss, stoking his beard thoughtfully: Many lesser writers are amazed by, and envious of, my mastery of the obscure literary technique known as “foreshadowing”.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is the kind of poo poo you'd expect to be written by a rapist and/or serial killer prior to them going over the edge. Which isn't surprising given the kind of "feminist" Rothfuss is and that he looks like a goony eldritch horror that slowly devours hobos and incorporates them into his visage.

It’s funny because earlier in the story it is established that it is literally impossible for Kvothe to rape a woman, because when he was drugged with this drug that literally takes away all your inhibitions and morals, he still refused to rape a woman because That’s How Good A Person He Is.

Also the bit has him kill these women who were in the fake troupe even though they claimed that they had been forced into helping them or they’d suffer like the two kidnapped girls did.

Because as women they deserved death doubly so for betraying their gender, even when it was probably coerced.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
One of the bigger hallmarks of a bad writer is when they want to take a character in a fantasy medieval setting but make them the only one with 21st century morality standards and have it come up as a sign of how great the hero is for thinking all those things.

It does more to imply the writer is writing themselves into the character then actually creating something organic and molded to the setting.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
goddamn that av has a fat rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I forgot that the timeline makes it clear he poisoned everyone before he found the kidnapped girls, and had apparently always planned to murder them while they were helpless from the poison for the crime of pickpocketing while pretending to be Edema Ruh.

Which yaknow, puts his whole spiel about how he killed the ladies for being Gender Traitors in a new light.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cumpantry posted:

goddamn that av has a fat rear end

That AV is more tame than some actual game art of the character (because Cygames knows its audience).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kchama posted:

I forgot that the timeline makes it clear he poisoned everyone before he found the kidnapped girls, and had apparently always planned to murder them while they were helpless from the poison for the crime of pickpocketing while pretending to be Edema Ruh.

Which yaknow, puts his whole spiel about how he killed the ladies for being Gender Traitors in a new light.

See, I would merrily read a black-comedy about a horribly evil person who thinks that because they follow a (deranged, nonsensical) moral code that they're somehow a good guy and better than all those *other* murderous monsters. Heck, that's practically Breaking Bad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Strom Cuzewon posted:

See, I would merrily read a black-comedy about a horribly evil person who thinks that because they follow a (deranged, nonsensical) moral code that they're somehow a good guy and better than all those *other* murderous monsters.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

See, I would merrily read a black-comedy about a horribly evil person who thinks that because they follow a (deranged, nonsensical) moral code that they're somehow a good guy and better than all those *other* murderous monsters. Heck, that's practically Breaking Bad.

That's basically just Dexter, which is yes a lot better.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

PeterWeller posted:

Honestly, I think you're making it sound more impressive and difficult than it really is. You can play the same chords with multiple shapes and you can always move some notes or entire chords up or down an octave.

Like I said, I'm not very good so from my perspective doing this kind of thing on the fly would be pretty impressive. If you're suggesting it's actually much easier if you're at all familiar with the instrument, then it seems like Rothfuss really did overshoot and is hoping people know jack poo poo about playing music.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Have you read The Book of the New Sun? It's about how a journeyman in the Guild of Torturers has to become king of Earth to save humanity from itself because he's just that good a guy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Like I said, I'm not very good so from my perspective doing this kind of thing on the fly would be pretty impressive. If you're suggesting it's actually much easier if you're at all familiar with the instrument, then it seems like Rothfuss really did overshoot and is hoping people know jack poo poo about playing music.

Yeah, I'm a mediocre guitar player and couldn't transpose on the fly when playing guitar, but I'm a good enough bass player that I could play around a broken string, and I'm just some rear end in a top hat who likes to play along with records at home, so somebody of Kvothe's skill level should have no problem at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I'm a mediocre guitar player and couldn't transpose on the fly when playing guitar, but I'm a good enough bass player that I could play around a broken string, and I'm just some rear end in a top hat who likes to play along with records at home, so somebody of Kvothe's skill level should have no problem at all.

It's been a long time but the song in question Kvothe is supposed to be so difficult it breaks the minds of lesser performers who can never pull it off. Like everyone in that Tavern is getting an experience only the wealthiest nobility can afford.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It still feels to me like Rothfuss saw someone play Through the Fire and Flames on Guitar Hero and based the scene on that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I admittedly play a wind instrument, where it feels like losing one of the keys would be something I couldn't just work around without changing the sound of the song to a noticible degree.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently Rothfuss based the lute string breaking thing on dramatizations of the violin player Paganini's life, who would break strings during his performances on purpose by filing notches into them to weaken them. The dramatizations involve a rival causing all but one of the strings to break, and somehow Paganini is still able to complete the performance.

Rothfuss basically took the average of the reality and dramatization, involving the rival but not having all the strings break. However I have no idea if what Paganini did on violin is also possible on the lute.

Anyway, it proves that even the parts of the story we're arguing about are cribbed from other things.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Didn't they make that into an actual book recently?

You wanna talk about subverting expectations and genre twisting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Didn't they make that into an actual book recently?

You wanna talk about subverting expectations and genre twisting.

Garth has released two books now, saw him at a book tour recently and he's doing great. I just don't think people were ready for anything that raw back in the 80s so it's great to see hia renaissance now :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Garth has released two books now, saw him at a book tour recently and he's doing great. I just don't think people were ready for anything that raw back in the 80s so it's great to see hia renaissance now :)

We are now as far from when that show aired as it was from the time period it was portraying.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pentyne posted:

We are now as far from when that show aired as it was from the time period it was portraying.

No that's stupid that can't be rightohgodnoooo

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ccs posted:

Apparently Rothfuss based the lute string breaking thing on dramatizations of the violin player Paganini's life, who would break strings during his performances on purpose by filing notches into them to weaken them. The dramatizations involve a rival causing all but one of the strings to break, and somehow Paganini is still able to complete the performance.

Rothfuss basically took the average of the reality and dramatization, involving the rival but not having all the strings break. However I have no idea if what Paganini did on violin is also possible on the lute.

Anyway, it proves that even the parts of the story we're arguing about are cribbed from other things.

As a violinist, this still requires a ton of muscle memory to pull off for something like those big flashy concertos Kvothe is supposed to be aping. There's a reason the joke is "six months to learn a piece," but I'm honestly not too mad about that particular moment happening for a supposedly legendary musician.

Of course, actual violinists like Paganini are going to put in a ton of time repeating various passages for technical correctness, exercises, etc that somehow never show up in Kvothe's musical tradition. I don't care how much talent you are, you don't become Heifetz or Bell overnight without a ton of practicing or effort, and you're certainly not going to try to play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on hard mode as a joke.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I know GRRM won't ever release another book, just like Rothfuss.

But in theory, would the reaction to GoT's ending make it easier to write the ending of your book series?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
gonna barge into this thread and say the only reason i know about this guy at all is because he wrote the introduction to newest edtion to the last unicorn, and Its interesting. reading over the thread, it sounds like he is a shittier GRRM but his character is a mary sue and maybe a couple of his books are solid. anyway his intro to the last unicorn isn't BAD, i actually like that its mostly kinda of weird rant about how alot of lit classes(i took a bunch in college) kinda forget that reading the book and finding what you love about them instead of "write an essay about the themes and how it ties into the industrial society" so you end up treating the book like a word search then anything deeper. that being said, he mostly talked about himself.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gonna barge into this thread and say the only reason i know about this guy at all is because he wrote the introduction to newest edtion to the last unicorn, and Its interesting. reading over the thread, it sounds like he is a shittier GRRM but his character is a mary sue and maybe a couple of his books are solid. anyway his intro to the last unicorn isn't BAD, i actually like that its mostly kinda of weird rant about how alot of lit classes(i took a bunch in college) kinda forget that reading the book and finding what you love about them instead of "write an essay about the themes and how it ties into the industrial society" so you end up treating the book like a word search then anything deeper. that being said, he mostly talked about himself.

No, none of his books are solid.

Also he's only written two books and two novella.

Talking about himself is a theme. He freaking complained that no one on GoodReads gives him any respect these days after he stopped posting reviews for like a year so they forgot who he was. Also he then went on to say that oh yeah he never actually reviewed the book he was supposedly reviewing and just used the review as a personal blog.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kchama posted:

No, none of his books are solid.

Also he's only written two books and two novella.

Talking about himself is a theme. He freaking complained that no one on GoodReads gives him any respect these days after he stopped posting reviews for like a year so they forgot who he was. Also he then went on to say that oh yeah he never actually reviewed the book he was supposedly reviewing and just used the review as a personal blog.

yeah, like i didnt even think it was BAD introduction mostly because i do get tired of "here is a summery of the book and how it reperesents (insert theme here) and ranges into critical theory stuff. none of which is bad, but i just found it a breath of fresh air, but my guess is he didnt take any writing lessons from the last unicorn, which is a amazing fantasy book.
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Unicorn...aps%2C95&sr=8-4
its the intro for this print and the audio version. the book is great in general so if you want an extra laugh at his expense, get it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 22, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Complaining that his college Lit courses weren't just about vibes explains a lot about Rothfuss.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Complaining that his college Lit courses weren't just about vibes explains a lot about Rothfuss.

yeah, from reading the thread it sounds it. i dont think it was THAT point exactly but yeah after reading a bunch of this thread, i am not shocked about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Using his Famous Author status to write an introduction for a better book where he primarily talks about himself and complains about academia is very on-brand for Rothfuss

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mewse posted:

Using his Famous Author status to write an introduction for a better book where he primarily talks about himself and complains about academia is very on-brand for Rothfuss

yeah. like all he everwrote was GRRM stuff with more weird hosed up poo poo and a mary sue protag and this dudes writing an intro for one of the best one off(mostly) fantasy books thats mostly just about introspection, rememberance and death. lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4043579

also gonna shill my thread on the last unicorn.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Isn't he a college Lit professor himself now? I can only imagine how many potential writers he's poisoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

9am, standing in front of the spring Critical Thinking And Writing section I’m lecturing, mad that I didn’t get to sleep in today after playing Fallout 4 all night the night before. how would Joss Whedon handle this, I wonder to myself