Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Someone linked me an article about a crackdown on LGBTQ+ things in China. I doubt it is a central directive, but is there anything about this that I can point to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
This article ? https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2024/jan/15/its-difficult-to-survive-chinas-lgbtq-advocates-face-jail-and-forced-confession

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Weka posted:

Could somebody expand on this?

this is directly due to the sino-soviet split, where China saw Soviet actions in Afghanistan as 1. a form of imperialism and 2. directly threatening China's role and presence in the region. Deng pulled back heavily w/r/t the USSR and relations iced over, and a sort of informal anti-soviet bloc between the US and China started up here in Afghanistan, with the bloc offering training and material to the Mujahideen

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yep! TBF I am not going to trust noted TERF rag the Guardian on this, but it was something I wanted to examine and get more info on.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
iirc from an episode of radio war nerd, the us flew tennessee donkeys to the hindu kush mountains to help the mujahideen with logistics, but they just immediately died from the environment, and china had to send a bunch of steppe donkeys to replace them.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scrree posted:

iirc from an episode of radio war nerd, the us flew tennessee donkeys to the hindu kush mountains to help the mujahideen with logistics, but they just immediately died from the environment, and china had to send a bunch of steppe donkeys to replace them.

If you do reading for this poo poo for whatever reason you'll see a lot of English Language stuff be like "oh yeah China contributed but barely, it was largely US/NATO support" and that's 100% cope, the soviets would have very easily handled afghanistan if china wasn't involved

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Scrree posted:

lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

If you do reading for this poo poo for whatever reason you'll see a lot of English Language stuff be like "oh yeah China contributed but barely, it was largely US/NATO support" and that's 100% cope, the soviets would have very easily handled afghanistan if china wasn't involved

Idk, I never got the sense that they had any clear idea of how to handle Afghanistan, except that they wanted out again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fits my needs posted:

Honestly I think it's part of why Trump was so popular in China. Every buzzcut rolls his shirt up in the morning dreaming of being Trump some day.

syq
Honestly what were they even trying to say here. I can't even pierce through the racism to understand it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
LGBT acceptance has been used by the west to justify cultural and political chauvinism, with the implication that accepting LGBT people is a sign of the west's cultural and moral superiority. The pinkwashing of Israel is a prime example. So LGBT acceptance is viewed by most non-western aligned states and cultures as a form of western cultural imperialism and encroachment. LGBT repression thereby becomes a way of distinguishing themselves from the West and plays well to domestic audiences, this social rejection of the west can also be used to cover up economic capitulation to the west.

The west is wrong for pinkwashing. Non-western states are extremely wrong for oppressing LGBT people; and incredibly marginalized non-western LGBT people suffer for it. It's a genuinely horrible situation and one of my major disappointments with modern communist parties. Although China is stagnating or occasionally back-sliding in this issue (non-coincidentally when the US has increased its belligerence towards them), the communists in Cuba and (to my understanding) Vietnam are progressing on this issue.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly what were they even trying to say here. I can't even pierce through the racism to understand it.

lol libs still believe trump isnt popular in the states mostly because dems suck so hard and they still wanna project it elsewhere

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't think there is a deciding moment of the Sino-Soviet split. It's just a lot of small doses bad blood and reconciliations and the two sides just grew further and further apart.

I would try to group them into these stages so you know its hard to put them into 1 book.

Pre-communist era, the Tsarist Russia had been pushing into the Manchu ancestral homeland in far east over the span of the later half of Qing dynasty, they got as south as the Luhsun harbor until Russia lost it to Japan in the Russo-Japanese war.

The Chinese civil war era, which started roughly the same time as the Russia civil war after WW1 but lasted much longer. Stalin wasn't always the biggest supporter of the Chinese Communist Party and Mao, he was sometimes more supportive to the KMT and other more orthodox faction of CCP. Stalin only threw all his support to the CCP side after the defeat of Japan.

Mao era before Stalin's death. There were a lot of geopolitical issues Mao didn't get satisfactory resolutions from Stalin but he never publicly clashed with Stalin. One was turning the Outer Mongolia province into a bufferzone country, Mao and other CCP leaders went to Moscow a few times to try to prevent this. Another issue was the defensive formation in Northeast Asia after the Korea war. There was very little detail of the inner negotiation over this but you can sense the disagreements between PRC and Soviet. Just ask yourself this, why was there US troop station in S Korea but no Chinese troops station in N Korea; why was there no East Asia version of the Warsaw pack; why didn't the Soviet navy leave Lushun after the founding of PRC in 49 but in 1955.

The next era is the more famous sino-soviet split ear. There are alot of info you can find online. Personally, I am still not sure how much was due to the Khrushchev/Mao personality clash, how much was due to the underlying geopolitical conflict of interest between the two countries. I just want to highlight the 156 heavy industrial projects Soviet helped PRC established during the foundation of the country, many Chinese still consider this was as important as the Marshall plan to Europe.

The next era is the Kissinger visit. Assuming you know the main chronology of the events. I think there hasn't been enough discussion of what Soviet's countermeasure was at the time immediately after China and US walking close. I would definitely like to read more history from this part of the global realignment.

The clipnote version of Nixon visited China was, after nearly 10 years of China and the US haggling it over, US kind of helped China got back into the UN and kicked ROC out; US and China agreed on the "One China Policy" after many rounds of negotiation; China secretly helped Afghanistan fought Soviet; and Soviet funded Vietnam to started trouble in China's backyard.

I am not sure whether PRC could have gotten back to UN especially back in P5 if US was insistent on cockblocking PRC. OTOH, If Sino-Soviet split didn't happen, they probably could have gathered enough third world support to roll their alternate UN.

I am skipping over a ton of details but I just want to write down the parts thats interesting to me.

I read this pretty good thriller from 1979 about the lin biao incident/project 571, the plot is that the soviets want to depose mao to avert prc/us detente, and so MI6 has to save mao by breaking the soviet code, lol

https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2023/12/goodbye-chairman-mao-by-christopher-new.html

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So anyone got updates on the Ram mandir fiasco?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
All I know is that its apparently our jerusalem apparently. Also during it's construction a bunch of actually existing temples and shrines were broken down.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

unwantedplatypus posted:

LGBT acceptance has been used by the west to justify cultural and political chauvinism, with the implication that accepting LGBT people is a sign of the west's cultural and moral superiority. The pinkwashing of Israel is a prime example. So LGBT acceptance is viewed by most non-western aligned states and cultures as a form of western cultural imperialism and encroachment. LGBT repression thereby becomes a way of distinguishing themselves from the West and plays well to domestic audiences, this social rejection of the west can also be used to cover up economic capitulation to the west.

The west is wrong for pinkwashing. Non-western states are extremely wrong for oppressing LGBT people; and incredibly marginalized non-western LGBT people suffer for it. It's a genuinely horrible situation and one of my major disappointments with modern communist parties. Although China is stagnating or occasionally back-sliding in this issue (non-coincidentally when the US has increased its belligerence towards them), the communists in Cuba and (to my understanding) Vietnam are progressing on this issue.
what's extremely not helping is that the US media and assorted credulous liberals love to prop up LGBT people who just so happen to promote all of the US imperial goals and neoliberal economics

there's very little effort by western LGBT people to push back against this because people part of these communities who do so get shamed for being "self-hating" and alienated

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

unwantedplatypus posted:

It's a genuinely horrible situation and one of my major disappointments with modern communist parties. Although China is stagnating or occasionally back-sliding in this issue (non-coincidentally when the US has increased its belligerence towards them), the communists in Cuba and (to my understanding) Vietnam are progressing on this issue.

In Cuba trans people can get the treatment they need for free.

Edit: I was wrong about cuba recognizing same sex marriage before the USA, they got it in 22

Bald Stalin has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Jan 23, 2024

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

what's extremely not helping is that the US media and assorted credulous liberals love to prop up LGBT people who just so happen to promote all of the US imperial goals and neoliberal economics

there's very little effort by western LGBT people to push back against this because people part of these communities who do so get shamed for being "self-hating" and alienated

War crimes aren't as crimey if it's a black lesbian army general ordering a trans drone pilot to bomb a wedding

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
australia has only had gay marriage for 6 7 years and we've been known as LGBT friendly for a lot longer than that (although 40% of us voted no in the same sex marriage referendum)

china doesn't have same-sex marriage like basically every other country in asia but how bad is it actually to be a LGBT person on the ground? where are they backsliding?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

crepeface posted:

australia has only had gay marriage for 6 7 years and we've been known as LGBT friendly for a lot longer than that (although 40% of us voted no in the same sex marriage referendum)

china doesn't have same-sex marriage like basically every other country in asia but how bad is it actually to be a LGBT person on the ground? where are they backsliding?

There have been a case or two of the Chinese government rejecting same sex marriage cases, other then that it's very much a don't tell don't ask situation. Although there are many trans and LGBT celebrities which all seem to be well accepted and popular.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Jan 23, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol this article opens with a passage about a girl who runs away from a strict family but lists her friend's age before telling us the victim was over 18. hmm, why not just tell us her actual age upfront? family calls the police and reports their child has been missing. wow, authouritarian police state!!

quote:

Shanghai Pride, the country’s longest-running celebration for sexual minorities, ended in 2020.

2020, the year of massive public celebrations

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

crepeface posted:

2020, the year of massive public celebrations

well, yeah. we ousted trump :fsmug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Weka posted:

Could somebody expand on this?

They provided arms as well as allowing volunteer forces, primarily from Xinjiang, to fight in Afghanistan. It was these returning fighters that found a much more fundamentalist Islam in Afghanistan that brought it back with them and made up the core of the ETIM.

Bald Stalin posted:

In Cuba trans people can get the treatment they need for free.

Edit: I was wrong about cuba recognizing same sex marriage before the USA, they got it in 22

They did decriminalise homosexual sex well before the US though

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

All I know is that its apparently our jerusalem apparently. Also during it's construction a bunch of actually existing temples and shrines were broken down.

wasn’t it built over a demolished mosque?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They provided arms as well as allowing volunteer forces, primarily from Xinjiang, to fight in Afghanistan. It was these returning fighters that found a much more fundamentalist Islam in Afghanistan that brought it back with them and made up the core of the ETIM.

Chinese official and casual internet discussions rarely bring up that part of the history, I have no idea how big PRC's involvement was. All I know is China supplied Chinese made Kalashnikov and other weapons to Pakistan and they gave it to the Afghans.

It seems to me using other people's weapons to fund rebels with serial numbers filed off is a big CIA MO. They did it in Latin America too. In retrospect I think it was a waste of effort, the whole world knows Americans and the CIA were behind the Shenanigans.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

a proto-bjp led mob in the early 90s marched on a hundreds+ year old mosque and destroyed it, setting off riots across the country that got thousands of people killed. it relaunched anti-muslim sectarianism as a political platform years after that had been mostly dead/killed by official secularism, and set the bjp on the path to becoming the major opposition and then with the help of the oligarchy, the ruling party (they also briefly won an elected government in the 90s that didn't last as long).

even until a decade ago, what to do with the demolition site was a massively controversial issue and portrayed as such in the media. There were plans to build an interfaith museum or whatever at some point. but the oligarchy has completely captured the Indian media and the building of a temple over the destroyed mosque is being shown everywhere as a grand historical event and a victory for Hinduism. Real fascist triumph of the will hours and majoritarian end zone dance poo poo over the muslim minority.

There are like hundreds of millions of Muslims in India btw, so if they continue to take this stuff to the extremes like the majoritarian ethnic chauvinists took in Ukraine this could become a disaster of world historic proportions

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

no the mosque stuff is well known but for expanding the potential TOURISM they expanded the freeway which required a lot of demolishing in the surrounding area.

mila kunis posted:

a proto-bjp led mob in the early 90s marched on a hundreds+ year old mosque and destroyed it, setting off riots across the country that got thousands of people killed. it relaunched anti-muslim sectarianism as a political platform years after that had been mostly dead/killed by official secularism, and set the bjp on the path to becoming the major opposition and then with the help of the oligarchy, the ruling party (they also briefly won an elected government in the 90s that didn't last as long).

even until a decade ago, what to do with the demolition site was a massively controversial issue and portrayed as such in the media. There were plans to build an interfaith museum or whatever at some point. but the oligarchy has completely captured the Indian media and the building of a temple over the destroyed mosque is being shown everywhere as a grand historical event and a victory for Hinduism. Real fascist triumph of the will hours and majoritarian end zone dance poo poo over the muslim minority.

There are like hundreds of millions of Muslims in India btw, so if they continue to take this stuff to the extremes like the majoritarian ethnic chauvinists took in Ukraine this could become a disaster of world historic proportions

Of course all the contractors working on it are from gujarat lol.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

crepeface posted:

lol this article opens with a passage about a girl who runs away from a strict family but lists her friend's age before telling us the victim was over 18. hmm, why not just tell us her actual age upfront? family calls the police and reports their child has been missing. wow, authouritarian police state!!

Go gently caress yourself

The PRC being the historically progressive counterweight to western imperial hegemony means that domestic abuse of gay and trans minors and adults doesn’t exist. I am very smart.

Edit: Like it’s still clearly bad for the police to return someone to a situation where they’re being domestically abuse. The fact that the person wants to run away and the context of them being queer makes me confident in assuming domestic abuse. In this situation the police (and by extension, the state, and by extension, the party) are enabling domestic abuse.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jan 23, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's pretty impressive Modi can milk the Mosque/Temple for 30+ years. Is it finalized? Or it will have a new quarter open before the next major election?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

it was inaugurated today

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

unwantedplatypus posted:

The PRC being the historically progressive counterweight to western imperial hegemony means that domestic abuse of gay and trans minors and adults doesn’t exist. I am very smart.

Edit: Like it’s still clearly bad for the police to return someone to a situation where they’re being domestically abuse. The fact that the person wants to run away and the context of them being queer makes me confident in assuming domestic abuse. In this situation the police (and by extension, the state, and by extension, the party) are enabling domestic abuse.

eat my dick

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
just unironically believing the guardian about a designated enemy of the west

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
freedom is when you run away and are taken in by a nice LGBT couple and taught how to be a child prostitute to survive, repression is when you're taken back home and can go to school

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
stupid bitch

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol the exact kind of stupid rube that falls for the exact kind of stupid idpol culture war propaganda the west shits out to propagate anti-communism

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Does that situation even exist? Who knows, as the only evidence presented is the word of a journalist who has only ever written 'China bad' pieces for this publication.

Looking up the first organization mentioned, the Beijing LGBT Center, it has received funding from the Los Angeles LGBT Center, itself directly funded by the American government.
Shanghai Pride was founded and organized by two Americans.

If I was the government of China I would be extremely sceptical of any NGO with American ties, and I certainly do not trust either the word of western media or of people who run such NGOs as to why they were shuttered.

I am sure there have been numerous instances of discrimination against LGBTQ+ people by agents of the Chinese state, but that is very different to the sort of systemic oppression this piece is suggesting is happening.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Lol owned

Grapplejack posted:

Any reading recommendations?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Weka posted:

Lol owned

Any reading recommendations?

unfortunately no, all I have are half-remembered articles from JSTOR on stuff I did in undergrad

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I remember reading that feedback from the general populace in China in their ongoing mass-line/survey system has been that they want more progressive family and marriage laws, which the CPC has decided is not a priority item.

They recently opened a state funded transgender care clinic, and they usually address all the national feedback items eventually (like they did with pollution, corruption), so I hope that it continues in that direction.

Regardless of anything else, shutting down NGOs supported by the us government seems like a good idea.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

i think, hes trying to say that trump is popular in china because the population of china is whiny crybabies who want to become rich, and also they have bad fashion sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

In China, they are just like us, they call him brother trump