Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
dodging > blocking anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

wash bucket posted:

Isn't there something akin to a parry mechanic with the shields? Like they block extra damage for a split second right when you deploy them?

Yep. Some even have tighter parry windows in exchange for more damage blocked during the parry.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sharkmafia posted:

I have never blocked a god drat thing in my life and I never will

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I block missiles and bazooka shells with my AC's big beefy core and shoulder pads. :c00lbert:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

wash bucket posted:

Isn't there something akin to a parry mechanic with the shields? Like they block extra damage for a split second right when you deploy them?

Yes, and the best shield can even spam Instant Guard so it's very easy to reduce the damage from big attacks by 90% multiplicatively with passive Damage Reduction from Defense.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I will continue to block things as intended: with my AC's face.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

wash bucket posted:

I interpreted this less like a parry, and more like each shield is only actually viable for a few seconds before dropping off sharply. However, like sharkmafia i never used one in a mission so idk

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The shields are actually pretty neat, but they do come at the cost of a shoulder slot, and their deployment gets in the way of your left arm. So that's like 50% of your damage potential if you leave it deployed, however making a tanky snorlax using the Scutum is pretty funny.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
shields are good for cheesing the nepenthes level but otherwise

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I will continue to block things as intended: with my AC's face.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wash bucket posted:

Any time I'm playing a game from a Japanese dev on PC I'm using a controller. You know those keyboard + mouse controls are gonna be an afterthought.

Well loving hooray for you, Able-Bodied Person. Do you want a loving medal

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kesper North posted:

... I mean if you're offering then sure.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wash bucket posted:

... I mean if you're offering then sure.

here you go

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
It is definitely odd to use with a mouse though. I started playing using mouse for all menu interactions but the attrition of oddities with how it all worked drove me to navigating exclusively with the keyboard by the time I had beaten the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Can I get a Balam combat medal? I hear they go real far when you throw them.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

lmao, one thing I also didn't realize on my first playthrough is that if you do enough damage quickly enough in stun you can 'skip' enemy AC repair kits

it's been happening quite a bit but it made this fight in particular a bit anticlimactic (ending 2 spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wxypTz-sL8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Can I get a Balam combat medal? I hear they go real far when you throw them.

They're good, you know?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

sharkmafia posted:

lmao, one thing I also didn't realize on my first playthrough is that if you do enough damage quickly enough in stun you can 'skip' enemy AC repair kits

it's been happening quite a bit but it made this fight in particular a bit anticlimactic (ending 2 spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wxypTz-sL8

the pilebunker is the GOAT for that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spoilery question.

Loader 4 that 621 starts out with is an RAD-designed AC, which is a company we later find out is run by Carla, by extension making it an arms manufacturer for Overseer. Raven uses a heavily upgraded Loader model as their AC and they work for Branch. Branch is explicitly called out by the Cataphract pilot as being responsible for the corporations rushing back to Rubicon since Branch leaked information about Coral levels being on the rise again. Is there any text messages in the game that draw a connection between Branch and RAD/Overseer where Carla and Walter maybe hired Branch to leak information to the corporations so that a Coral gold rush would give Overseer the chance to sneak in and burn that last of the Coral?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

nine-gear crow posted:

It took until literally Demon's Souls until FROM figured out what a game controller was and how to map buttons to it.

And funny enough they pretty much revolutionized action game controls there and then all in one go. DeS is amazing on so many levels, but one that often gets kind of overshadowed is that it's a successful and extremely elegant simplification of the gradual shift away from face button focused action gaming to shoulder button focused action gaming. It takes what is a rather big shift in interface design and distills it to its most accessible, flexible form, one that standardized within the 3rd person action template concurrently with the rise of cover-based shooters at the time, and now feels as fundamental and universalized as what Halo once accomplished for the standardization of FPS controls on console.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bewilderment posted:

AC6 is absolutely not a Sekiro-style 'git gud, hesitation is defeat' kind of game.

i mostly agree re: the subject of difficulty, but "hesitation is defeat" isn't an expression of how hard the game is, it's an expression of the proactive / reactive distinction, and AC6 is absolutely way on the "proactive" end of the spectrum, just like Sekiro

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 22, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it's mechiro. this is known.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's mechiro. this is known.

Ravens die twice

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I mean i'd actually argue that ac6 is MORE proactive than sekiro although it's definitely easier

A lot of the time the sekiro stagger bar is built by effective parrying of attacks, which is a pretty reactive thing. in ac6 it is built by shooting the absolute poo poo out of your opponent

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

Spoilery question.

Loader 4 that 621 starts out with is an RAD-designed AC, which is a company we later find out is run by Carla, by extension making it an arms manufacturer for Overseer. Raven uses a heavily upgraded Loader model as their AC and they work for Branch. Branch is explicitly called out by the Cataphract pilot as being responsible for the corporations rushing back to Rubicon since Branch leaked information about Coral levels being on the rise again. Is there any text messages in the game that draw a connection between Branch and RAD/Overseer where Carla and Walter maybe hired Branch to leak information to the corporations so that a Coral gold rush would give Overseer the chance to sneak in and burn that last of the Coral?

None. Most likely, Nightfall has RaD parts because they're either a Rubiconian native or simply had been operating on Rubicon for some time prior to the attack on LOC Station 31.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Conspiratiorist posted:

None. Most likely, Nightfall has RaD parts because they're either a Rubiconian native or simply had been operating on Rubicon for some time prior to the attack on LOC Station 31.

We know from the game's opening that RaD has off world manufacturing so that's not necessarily the connection.

There is a pretty good reason why Branch would buy those parts off of RaD offworld. The Loader has a head meant to survey terrain, legs designed for landing on planets/asteroids/moons, a core that's meant for operating in space, arms designed to be really utilitarian and able to salvage components. Nightfall and the Loader-4 basically being the exact same AC makes a lot of sense, they're basically purpose built for traveling through space and then landing on Rubicon without having an established base of operations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nightfall is stubborn and doesnt want to change the parts they started with

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On another topic, Seria is mentioned as the C-Pulse Wave that spoke to Father Dolmayan, but I can't remember if this occurred before or after the Fires of Ibis.

When Ayre first makes contact with 621 she says that 621 risked getting their consciousness scattered across the Coral network. Ayre initially refers to herself as "a Rubiconian" which makes me wonder if C-Pulse Wave mutations are a naturally occurring phenomenon within Coral or if they're a byproduct of the Fires of Ibis when Coral burned the solar system taking human civilization with it. Does Ayre refer to herself as Rubiconian because she was human at one point before having her consciousness scattered or is she purely Coral and only calls herself Rubiconian as a means to indicate she is from "here" in a language that humans would understand?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

On another topic, Seria is mentioned as the C-Pulse Wave that spoke to Father Dolmayan, but I can't remember if this occurred before or after the Fires of Ibis.

When Ayre first makes contact with 621 she says that 621 risked getting their consciousness scattered across the Coral network. Ayre initially refers to herself as "a Rubiconian" which makes me wonder if C-Pulse Wave mutations are a naturally occurring phenomenon within Coral or if they're a byproduct of the Fires of Ibis when Coral burned the solar system taking human civilization with it. Does Ayre refer to herself as Rubiconian because she was human at one point before having her consciousness scattered or is she purely Coral and only calls herself Rubiconian as a means to indicate she is from "here" in a language that humans would understand?

Ayre definitely reads as "was human once" but now is kind of a post-human consciousness in the Coral. I would surmise that most if not all the victims of the Fires of Ibis ended up that way as well, but Ayre was the one who was lucky enough to make contact with 621 after they got blasted with a whole big Coral spray at the Watchpoint.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

Before. Seria discovered the possibility of Convergence and proposed it to Dolmayan, who out of fear refused, and then when the Fires happened Seria was destroyed alongside countless other voices in the Coral, driving him mad with grief. In the present he's haunted by this decision much like how Walter needs to justify to himself that initiating the Fires was the right call.

Ayre refers to herself as a Rubiconian because it's technically correct; she conceals the fact she's not human (and never has been) in the ambiguity.

ED: The Fires of Ibis didn't "upload" any people into the coral network because it wasn't a surge of live coral washing over things, rather it was the coral itself that was on loving fire as it died.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 22, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It does seem like its occurred before though, even if there isn't really any science studying it after the Institute collapsed. Theres enough people out there with weird connections to coral that I'd be more surprised if consciousness uploads didn’t accidentally happen. Early generation AC pilots with Coral based surgical implants getting their brains fried, Dosers munching on Coral and hallucinating, everything about Iguazu. It feels like human consciousness uploading into the Coral network could have been happening for some time given how volatile Coral is, but just chalked up to workplace accidents since nobody is really studying it.

That also makes me wonder something. If early Gen augmentation is coral-based, and the fires of Ibis were 50 years prior, just how long was 621 on ice? Barring Coral existing in other parts of the Galaxy, that would mean all early AC augmentation would be reliant on Rubicon's Coral supply, and with it being presumed gone for the last 50 years that would mean 621 got Coral augmentation when Coral was still available.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 22, 2024

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

wash bucket posted:

Any time I'm playing a game from a Japanese dev on PC I'm using a controller. You know those keyboard + mouse controls are gonna be an afterthought.

The kb+m controls for AC6 are actually pretty dang good. The one downside of hardlock being not particularly usable is pretty simply compensated for by the fact that keeping a target in softlock on a mouse is significantly easier than with an analog stick. I'd recommend them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

It does seem like its occurred before though, even if there isn't really any science studying it after the Institute collapsed. Theres enough people out there with weird connections to coral that I'd be more surprised if consciousness uploads didn’t accidentally happen. Early generation AC pilots with Coral based surgical implants getting their brains fried, Dosers munching on Coral and hallucinating, everything about Iguazu. It feels like human consciousness uploading into the Coral network could have been happening for some time given how volatile Coral is, but just chalked up to workplace accidents since nobody is really studying it.

That also makes me wonder something. If early Gen augmentation is coral-based, and the fires of Ibis were 50 years prior, just how long was 621 on ice? Barring Coral existing in other parts of the Galaxy, that would mean all early AC augmentation would be reliant on Rubicon's Coral supply, and with it being presumed gone for the last 50 years that would mean 621 got Coral augmentation when Coral was still available.

Ayre never gives any indication of having been human beforehand other than the aforementioned deep readings of her "I'm a Rubiconian" introduction. There's never any indication that brain uploads into the Coral network are even possible other than deep readings into her "wake up or your consciousness will be scattered by the coral flow" warning, either. That's really all there's to it.

And coral is presumably still available in limited quantities hence you have Iguazu who's a relatively recent Gen 4 and O'Keeffe who was one.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I didn't realize when you run out of ammo you just start punching things. Was fun to punch that weapon in the depths to death.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ayre never gives any indication of having been human beforehand other than the aforementioned deep readings of her "I'm a Rubiconian" introduction. There's never any indication that brain uploads into the Coral network are even possible other than deep readings into her "wake up or your consciousness will be scattered by the coral flow" warning, either. That's really all there's to it.

And coral is presumably still available in limited quantities hence you have Iguazu who's a relatively recent Gen 4 and O'Keeffe who was one.

the consciousness being scattered by the flow thing is presumably an issue for 621 because their implants are there to convert coral waves into human sensory inputs. normal humans would probably just melt instead of melting and also having their brain explode

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's how I read it, too.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Be careful Cloud 621, your consciousness could be scattered into the lifestream coral!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I read it as a euphemism for "get disintegrated"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

I read it as a euphemism for "get disintegrated"

Same, but mentally.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

And funny enough they pretty much revolutionized action game controls there and then all in one go. DeS is amazing on so many levels, but one that often gets kind of overshadowed is that it's a successful and extremely elegant simplification of the gradual shift away from face button focused action gaming to shoulder button focused action gaming. It takes what is a rather big shift in interface design and distills it to its most accessible, flexible form, one that standardized within the 3rd person action template concurrently with the rise of cover-based shooters at the time, and now feels as fundamental and universalized as what Halo once accomplished for the standardization of FPS controls on console.

And those controls are derived from Nexus and AC4's evolution of the basic Armored Core 1 controls. From might be insane when it comes to control design, but they're also geniuses.

As for the timing, it's possible that 621was augmented with remaining coral after the fires, but if not, then that has the amusing implication that Raven is older than Walter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

sharkmafia posted:

I mean i'd actually argue that ac6 is MORE proactive than sekiro although it's definitely easier

A lot of the time the sekiro stagger bar is built by effective parrying of attacks, which is a pretty reactive thing. in ac6 it is built by shooting the absolute poo poo out of your opponent

Yeah in Sekiro you are defeated because you hesitated if your brain thought too long between attacking or blocking/parrying

In AC6 while I am hesitating I am also still hitting all my guns while I think. Against most bosses even if you do not really understand what's going on you are still going to make some progress in removing their health simply because this game lets you shoot while dodging instead of having to pick between them.