Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kdrudy posted:

Also installed badly so in constant pain until they fix that.

And has a mean streak sometimes, like when he gleefully laughs as he spaces a suicide bomber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC4YjOp4Cto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The deal with the Maquis is that the writers didn't want to make the Federation actually problematic, so they chickened out on setting the Maquis up with legitimate grievances, so they all ended up being selfish dumbasses.

Making the federation problematic is how we get Picard. So I would say in this instance the writers made the right call.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

weren't the 8472 aliens planning on annihilating everything else in the galaxy too? probably was a good idea to help the borg knock them back even without the shortcut

TrashMammal posted:

yeah gently caress those guys. janeway was right

Yeah, no. Lot of genocide apologists in this thread...

They STARTED OUT wanting to eradicate basically everything in our galaxy (good luck with THAT, surely at some point even some of the Q would intervene?) but then we see that they learned empathy, or something, when they copied Starfleet Academy and went whole hog on the method-acting when they pretended to be humans/Vulvans/Bolian.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

They STARTED OUT wanting to eradicate basically everything in our galaxy (good luck with THAT, surely at some point even some of the Q would intervene?) but then we see that they learned empathy, or something, when they copied Starfleet Academy and went whole hog on the method-acting when they pretended to be humans/Vulvans/Bolian.

That sneaky gardener!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Vulvans

naem
May 29, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I still don't fully grasp the Maquis. They seem like complete dumbasses.

it’s a bunch of naive people from a post scarcity society deciding to larp as independent freedoms fighters™️©️

“We don’t need no gosh darn federation!”

federation we’re in trouble pls help

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vulvan Love Slave :biglips:

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The other episode we watched had the ship moving through a very large expanse of space with nothing in it, driving the crew crazy. Janeway sulks in her dimmed quarters for weeks or months? not sure but long enough for the crew to wonder what the hell, which probably helped form Mulgrew's opinion of how she was written. Another really solid episode other than this questionable bit about the captain. A space garbage man is using a wormhole to dump radioactive waste into the area poisoning the species living there. Voyager ends up blasting the ship and closing the wormhole while the local species finishes him off. Janeway says "time to take out the garbage". Cold!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

roddenberry's true vision

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yea, well, destroying people trying to genocide you isn't exactly a bad call even if later they learn to not do that.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

That sneaky gardener!

There should have been a royal rumble with 8472 Boothby, a changeling Boothby, surgically altered Romulan Boothby, etc.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

I still don't fully grasp the Maquis. They seem like complete dumbasses.

Not mentioning the actual Maquis during the WWII holodeck episodes was probably the biggest missed opportunity in Voyager, possibly all Trek.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Not mentioning the actual Maquis during the WWII holodeck episodes was probably the biggest missed opportunity in Voyager, possibly all Trek.

Chakotay: You know, these were the men who inspired the Maquis--

Paris: No. No. Shut the gently caress up.

Chakotay: That's disrespectful. The Maquis directly--

Janeway: We aren't stupid, Chakotay. Leave your bullshit in the Alpha quadrant where it belongs.

Chakotay: A... koochee moy--

Tuvok: I'm not even from Earth and I know that poo poo's made up, too.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Chakotay: You know, these were the men who inspired the Maquis--

Paris: No. No. Shut the gently caress up.

Chakotay: That's disrespectful. The Maquis directly--

Janeway: We aren't stupid, Chakotay. Leave your bullshit in the Alpha quadrant where it belongs.

Chakotay: A... koochee moy--

Tuvok: I'm not even from Earth and I know that poo poo's made up, too.

With disgust on his face, Harry walks up to Chakotay with a wet nap and rubs off the tattoo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Brig, 30 days, for cultural appropriation. Lieutenant Highwater, Lieutenant Marks, take him away.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Chakotay is vegetarian and I bet anything he's a annoying vegetarian

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

My people have a saying

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

it’s a bunch of naive people from a post scarcity society deciding to larp as independent freedoms fighters™️©️

“We don’t need no gosh darn federation!”

federation we’re in trouble pls help

Definitely a like futuro-space Gadsden flag hanging in Maquis HQ

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the maquis are stupid entitled jackasses, which to say they are the most realistic settlers ever shown on television

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, you got it. They are people who colonized planets on the very fringe of Federation space, then demanded full Federation protection. When there was a boarder war that was settled and a few colonies wound up on the wrong side of that boarder they simply refused to move. Most of those colonies were well under a century old. As Federation citizens the Federation was happy to handle the logistics of moving them to lovely new colonies. They don't think they should have to move.

Their ultimate goal is to force the Federation to renegotiate the boarder so that those colonies are back in Federation space. At any cost necessary. Including the cost of other people dying in a new war with the Cardasians.

When the Federation tells them to grow up, they decide to do terrorism to provoke the Cardassians into war, thinking that will force the Federation to defend them.

The funny thing is that their numbers were always chickenshit and yet they seemed to think that they should control entire planets and moons. 300 people with a planet to themselves but they absolutely will not accept being moved to another planet and having to share even though these groups could all get a continent to themselves.

So, just another day in settler colonialism

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

maquis flag all looking like

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've had a lot of time recently due to some health issues and I used some of it to try to track down a Star Trek game I played as a kid. I've tried this before and been utterly at a loss. It had to have been some weird knock off my parents bought from some guy in a train station or something.

It came on a 3.5 inch disk
It was launched from Dos
Graphics were very basic, just little icons of ships with circles around them to represent their shields, set on a black space background
It only involved space combat, phasers and photon torpedos
It was set in the TOS-era
You could play as a constitution-class Starfleet ship, a Starfleet starbase, and maybe a Romulan or Klingon ship?
I know you fought Romulans and Klingons
There couldn't have been more than 3 or 5 scenarios you could play
Gameplay was, again, very basic. Use photon torpedos or phasers. Kill the enemy. I liked the starbase because it had tons of torpedos

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Anyone??

I looked on Wikipedia and every Star Trek computer game they had listed bore no resemblance to this one. It was very simple, almost as simple as those little handheld things you could buy in the 90's where you beep boop dropped bombs on tanks or something. However, I played it on my PC.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

deep space colonies, like research stations, are just the federation sanctioned way to get weirdos to leave earth

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've had a lot of time recently due to some health issues and I used some of it to try to track down a Star Trek game I played as a kid. I've tried this before and been utterly at a loss. It had to have been some weird knock off my parents bought from some guy in a train station or something.

It came on a 3.5 inch disk
It was launched from Dos
Graphics were very basic, just little icons of ships with circles around them to represent their shields, set on a black space background
It only involved space combat, phasers and photon torpedos
It was set in the TOS-era
You could play as a constitution-class Starfleet ship, a Starfleet starbase, and maybe a Romulan or Klingon ship?
I know you fought Romulans and Klingons
There couldn't have been more than 3 or 5 scenarios you could play
Gameplay was, again, very basic. Use photon torpedos or phasers. Kill the enemy. I liked the starbase because it had tons of torpedos

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Anyone??

EGA Trek? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtxF0qYKIBg

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Way more complicated. This game I played was only space fighting, nothing else.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Sounds like it could be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyaxjAoYwYs

The first computer game I ever saw. My older brother's friend had it on his TRS-80

First of May
May 1, 2017

Way more complicated. This game I played was only space fighting, nothing else.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Xe_Boh9J4

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I remember the Romulan warships being green and the Starfleet ships being white, I remember them being cool little drawings on the screen. I especially remember how they had circles around them that represented their shields, because once your shields were gone you were screwed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WinTrek, maybe? Play in browser: https://archive.org/details/win3_WINTREKJ

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

No, I wish. It had to have been some unlicensed kludge that I'll never find again.

One of the big commonalities between a lot of these old games is that starbases are places you go to to resupply. In the game I'm trying to find, the Federation starbase was a playable ship. Except it couldn't really move around fast, as opposed to the other options.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Funny, I was just thinking about an old game I couldn't find. It was a top down one that I think was star trek themed, but your ship was stationary and you would shoot torpedoes at an angle and power level, and you had to hit the klingons on the other side, but there were planets in the way and you had to use gravity to make your shot hit. That ring any of your bells?

First of May
May 1, 2017

No, I wish. It had to have been some unlicensed kludge that I'll never find again.

One of the big commonalities between a lot of these old games is that starbases are places you go to to resupply. In the game I'm trying to find, the Federation starbase was a playable ship. Except it couldn't really move around fast, as opposed to the other options.

Begin - Tactical Starship Simulation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNP3oS9V_uc&t=1565s

Turbo Trek?
https://dosgames.com/game/turbo-trek/

First of May fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 22, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Would it be Begin, A Tactical Starship Simulation? When I check the YT playthroughs, I see both the green starships and the shield circles mentioned.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Lol gently caress I had not reloaded the thread recently, jinx I guess

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It sounds like this game I used to play which was Star Trek with the numbers filed off for legal reasons. The ships all had roughly similar stats but the Klingon and Romulan ones had cloak in exchange for slightly worse stats.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It sounds like this game I used to play which was Star Trek with the numbers filed off for legal reasons. The ships all had roughly similar stats but the Klingon and Romulan ones had cloak in exchange for slightly worse stats.

This sounds right! Do you have any more information or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
across ds9 and tng, is there even a single bad cardassian focused episode?