Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I assume by bucket he means off an excavator. Though I admit I didn't think people stole them cos how would you shift it without an excavator?
Did the excavator leave but the bucket stayed behind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Excavators only drop the bucket behind when under stress

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Have you all really never seen roadwork or whatever in a city, where after the day is done they plant the excavator or loader bucket on top of the other attachments to make sure they don't get stolen?

Is that just a local thing? It can't be. I know my city is a little rough sometimes, but it can't be just us, right?

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Log082 posted:

Have you all really never seen roadwork or whatever in a city, where after the day is done they plant the excavator or loader bucket on top of the other attachments to make sure they don't get stolen?

Is that just a local thing? It can't be. I know my city is a little rough sometimes, but it can't be just us, right?

Standard practice all over the country for me.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

I think this is fake. There would be a lot more angry honking at the tire if it was real

Thats surprisingly light traffic for that part of Dallas.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Log082 posted:

For about 2 years there's a section of a freeway that had a half a bridge on it and they were working on it. Someone brought a little 11 ft aluminum boat that they would load their generators and stuff onto and then hoist it about 75 ft into the air with a crane when they were done for the day

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
stealing heavy equipment is easier and more desirable if you have heavy equipment of your own. nobody's gonna think you're stealing it even as they watch you steal it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

For about 2 years there's a section of a freeway that had a half a bridge on it and they were working on it. Someone brought a little 11 ft aluminum boat that they would load their generators and stuff onto and then hoist it about 75 ft into the air with a crane when they were done for the day

They do this a lot with toolboxes and welding equipment all the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I see generators and toolboxes hoisted off the side of the road all the time and I hate it like all forms of unmanaged potential energy.

I have half memories of buckets being in stupid places but I never put it together it's the same anti theft mechanism as those.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Safety Dance posted:

Meth + the promise of more meth once you drop it off at the scrap metal dealer?

Goddamn, how much meth does it take to be able to carry away an excavator bucket?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
not sure, better just give me all you have and i'll report back if it was enough or not

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Goddamn, how much meth does it take to be able to carry away an excavator bucket?

Eh, like 2, maybe 3 meth

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/FaLaqL4.mp4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Perfect parking job. Total drift.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is that Brit on YT who does stolen vehicles recovery videos and apparently construction equipment is a big part of his work. I guess the equipment is very expensive, but also doesn't have as many theft protection mechanisms as a Mercedes. Also, cops probably don't check the equipment that often for being stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGyMrXtQfX0

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/olou1cc.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^^ most of that poo poo looks horribly unsafe. But also horribly fuckin awesome.

It's very common to see a generator, compressor etc hoisted in the air at construction sites on weekends, or excavator arms and buckets cuddling the skid steer or holding an empty trailer in place etc.

A lot of that equipment uses the same key. Like lots of caterpillar brand stuff all use the same key, bobcat brand, Kubota etc. those keys can be bought online pretty easily so often you don't even need to hotwire the stuff to jack it

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 22, 2024

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

GABA ghoul posted:

There is that Brit on YT who does stolen vehicles recovery videos and apparently construction equipment is a big part of his work. I guess the equipment is very expensive, but also doesn't have as many theft protection mechanisms as a Mercedes. Also, cops probably don't check the equipment that often for being stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGyMrXtQfX0

There was a group around here that stole high resolution positioning systems off of excavators (a large rectangular shape on top of the engine deck) and they were apparently worth expensive car amounts of dollars.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

KoRMaK posted:

Im lookin for mid to long form content of people doing work in the trades. Anyone got recommendations? im collecting a list so i can pass it on to someone else interested in the field, and i want to give them a slice of life

so far my list is:
this old house classic on the roku channel
Gate city foundation drainage on YouTube

just wanna see tradies doing their thing, seeing what kind of bullshit they gotta put up with, listening to their clever insights. that kinda thing

Holmes on Homes if you can find it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CommieGIR posted:

They do this a lot with toolboxes and welding equipment all the time.
If someone steals your welder, that's just your fault for not welding it to something.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

^^^^^ most of that poo poo looks horribly unsafe. But also horribly fuckin awesome.

It's very common to see a generator, compressor etc hoisted in the air at construction sites on weekends, or excavator arms and buckets cuddling the skid steer or holding an empty trailer in place etc.

A lot of that equipment uses the same key. Like lots of caterpillar brand stuff all use the same key, bobcat brand, Kubota etc. those keys can be bought online pretty easily so often you don't even need to hotwire the stuff to jack it

Most of that was sped up too tbf.

I hear a lot of heavy equipment has the default key from the factory, because it's a hassle to change it out and then keep track of individual keys to individual vehicles, when instead you can just have your key and operate all of the poo poo, and when Mike drunks his keys into an unshored hole it's no biggie just buy another default key on the internet

It's pretty terrifying actually.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slugworth posted:

If someone steals your welder tree stump remover, that's just your fault for not welding securing it to something a tree stump.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Karate Bastard posted:

I hear a lot of heavy equipment has the default key from the factory, because it's a hassle to change it out and then keep track of individual keys to individual vehicles, when instead you can just have your key and operate all of the poo poo, and when Mike drunks his keys into an unshored hole it's no biggie just buy another default key on the internet

Yeah I lost a key to one and the generic replacement was 3€ on ebay.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Coworker just went to the hospital because one of the ramps off the delivery truck wasn't properly pinned in place and it fell away while he was driving down it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Some of the heavier equipment has special starting instructions so that's another part of the security. Like you have to have the control arm up, hold the key in the mid position for 10 seconds, then turn to start.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Make sure it's at least 400 pounds.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Some of the heavier equipment has special starting instructions so that's another part of the security. Like you have to have the control arm up, hold the key in the mid position for 10 seconds, then turn to start.

...and that's how you do the hokey pokey?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

CainFortea posted:

...and then you step through the door sideways, and wrong-warp to your lunch break.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CainFortea posted:

One, one, one-two, red, black, then wait for the foreman to yell "FOOL!"

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard posted:

The keycode is most likely an orderable option, and then everything gets ordered with the same one because option KeyCode-001 is the first one on the list, and KeyCode-RND is all the way at the bottom just past KeyCode-999

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This video seems to fit the occupational hazard requirement because a) Conan (and his crew) is at work here, b) he is drinking liquor with Hunter S. Thompson and c) they are shooting with M60 and Barrett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zwLuFy-TrY

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ComradePyro posted:

stealing heavy equipment is easier and more desirable if you have heavy equipment of your own. nobody's gonna think you're stealing it even as they watch you steal it

i saw a dude hook up to a portable highway message sign and drive off the other day, which was pretty hilarious since it was still operating at the time.

no idea what one does with a stolen message board, i assume they cut it up for scrapping.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Im lookin for mid to long form content of people doing work in the trades. Anyone got recommendations? im collecting a list so i can pass it on to someone else interested in the field, and i want to give them a slice of life

so far my list is:
this old house classic on the roku channel
Gate city foundation drainage on YouTube

just wanna see tradies doing their thing, seeing what kind of bullshit they gotta put up with, listening to their clever insights. that kinda thing

Aussie Mega Mechanics has a fair bit of dramatic reality tv editing and music stings but it does a real good job with the slice-of-life stuff you're looking for anyway

https://youtu.be/Gfj1MOFbSts

also good at demonstrating the worst-case stress levels since most of what they cover are ludicrously high-value planned outages

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 22, 2024

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Having driven past those coal loading machines last week they are properly loving huge.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

I posted the other angle of this in the STL thread

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/6x50fbfrl1ec1/DASH_1080.mp4

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Virtual Insanity starts playing in my head every time I see one of these

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

https://i.imgur.com/vWaRLAl.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What is all over the floors inside the cabin, wheel house etc that makes them so slippery?
Is it just water?