Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hazzard posted:

Look at the hand being thrown out behind the right fencer. That is in manuals, I don't have a source to hand, this was removed from the style before we get lots of images. But this is something in my manuals, seen lots of the best fencers do, both HEMA and MOF, so there's probably something to it. So I'm trying it more.

This is a big part of Enzo Lefort's fencing; watch how he pulls back his right hand and attacks with an almost punch-like motion. Link.

This is bit odd to me as he's a foil fencer. You see sabre fencers do it because their wrist and arm is a valid target, so keeping it back is more important than foil, where hitting the wrist only results in "off target."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Cessna posted:

This is a big part of Enzo Lefort's fencing; watch how he pulls back his right hand and attacks with an almost punch-like motion. Link.

This is bit odd to me as he's a foil fencer. You see sabre fencers do it because their wrist and arm is a valid target, so keeping it back is more important than foil, where hitting the wrist only results in "off target."

I would guess he's trying to deny the opponent his blade, stopping them from either taking priority, or doing a beat action to displace Lefort's blade. Both of which could get him hit. And what he does with his left hand looks like it's helping him balance. You can see him clearly throw his off-hand behind him on a couple of lunges, which I think helps with balance. I do it a lot more with heavier swords, like my 1.3 kg basket-hilt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, I do that almost subconsciously on slightly off-line lunges with my broadsword. Off arm comes up off the hip to counterbalance the momentum of the sword and keep my center of balance over the middle of my lead foot to recover.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hazzard posted:

I would guess he's trying to deny the opponent his blade, stopping them from either taking priority, or doing a beat action to displace Lefort's blade. Both of which could get him hit. And what he does with his left hand looks like it's helping him balance. You can see him clearly throw his off-hand behind him on a couple of lunges, which I think helps with balance. I do it a lot more with heavier swords, like my 1.3 kg basket-hilt.

Agreed, as a foilist this is to keep the blade where it's difficult to find and parry, so he doesn't reveal his real line of attack until it's too late. Varying your hand position on the approach can also screw up your opponent's sense of distance - I like to change the length of my en garde position from point to point, and quite often it lets me creep in close enough to get a fast attack off that my opponent thought was going to fall short.

That's also a very nice looking sword!

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Agreed, as a foilist this is to keep the blade where it's difficult to find and parry, so he doesn't reveal his real line of attack until it's too late. Varying your hand position on the approach can also screw up your opponent's sense of distance - I like to change the length of my en garde position from point to point, and quite often it lets me creep in close enough to get a fast attack off that my opponent thought was going to fall short.

That's also a very nice looking sword!

I love it, my only problem is that it's a got a little too much weight in the blade, but that's a minor gripe. I just wish I could use it more often. And I had a good experience with the smith who made it as well.
https://balefireblades.com/

My blade broke within warranty, which was a year. And he'd extended all of his warranties to the end of covid, so they didn't count until people told him they were using them. I sent the sword back, they replaced the blade and then sent it back to me without charging me postage.

They took about 6 months longer than they said, but that's just what smiths are like. You don't get really good swords unless they're someone who is making it themselves to send to you.

That's why he doesn't make sparring swords unless you pay him a lot more. He wants to make the expensive custom swords for people, it makes a lot more money and is more fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hazzard posted:

I love it, my only problem is that it's a got a little too much weight in the blade, but that's a minor gripe. I just wish I could use it more often. And I had a good experience with the smith who made it as well.
https://balefireblades.com/

My blade broke within warranty, which was a year. And he'd extended all of his warranties to the end of covid, so they didn't count until people told him they were using them. I sent the sword back, they replaced the blade and then sent it back to me without charging me postage.

They took about 6 months longer than they said, but that's just what smiths are like. You don't get really good swords unless they're someone who is making it themselves to send to you.

That's why he doesn't make sparring swords unless you pay him a lot more. He wants to make the expensive custom swords for people, it makes a lot more money and is more fun.

There is a very pretty saber on that site just mocking me.

I don't even like sabers!

(Not in particular at least, like they're fine I'm not saber-racist.)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

There is a very pretty saber on that site just mocking me.

I don't even like sabers!

(Not in particular at least, like they're fine I'm not saber-racist.)

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated and dissatisfied with sabre and am seriously considering switching to foil.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh, what's frustrating it about it? I find it fun for a change every so often, but I'm just not fit enough to keep up in the 4m.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh, what's frustrating it about it? I find it fun for a change every so often, but I'm just not fit enough to keep up in the 4m.

80%+ of the points take place entirely in the box. It's "ready, fence" and a game of quick-draw rock-paper-scissors that's resolved by the ref looking at distinctions ("your elbow was just slightly less extended") that are so fine that I can't meaningfully correct them when I move; as a result, it feels like a succession of coin-flips that I usually lose to 14 year old kids with xBox trained reflexes who the ref likes better.

At least in foil there's back-and-forth. It feels like I'm actually doing something as opposed to just launching into a coin-toss.

Edit: And I don't think it's "fitness" in the box. I'm in good shape; I think it's just raw reflexes, which aren't something you can practically train.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really want to like sabre, but it's just too silly. And often you can ask 4 different referees and get 4 different opinions.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Exactly, yes.

When you go to video review and review frame by frame still can't get anywhere near a consistent call with multiple refs reviewing it (as happened to me at a recent tournament) I think you've reached the point where the sport is meaningless.

I'm hard pressed to think of another sport like this. It's like playing baseball where there's no defined strike zone at all and the call is based on whether the ump thinks you could have hit the ball or not.

It could be really fun, but it's just too arbitrary.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cessna posted:

80%+ of the points take place entirely in the box. It's "ready, fence" and a game of quick-draw rock-paper-scissors that's resolved by the ref looking at distinctions ("your elbow was just slightly less extended") that are so fine that I can't meaningfully correct them when I move; as a result, it feels like a succession of coin-flips that I usually lose to 14 year old kids with xBox trained reflexes who the ref likes better.

At least in foil there's back-and-forth. It feels like I'm actually doing something as opposed to just launching into a coin-toss.

Edit: And I don't think it's "fitness" in the box. I'm in good shape; I think it's just raw reflexes, which aren't something you can practically train.

While I agree with you about sabre, you can train reflexes. Both physically and mentally. Drill helps. You don't need to train "reflexes" you need to train the appropriate reaction, and that is drillable.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ravenfood posted:

While I agree with you about sabre, you can train reflexes. Both physically and mentally. Drill helps. You don't need to train "reflexes" you need to train the appropriate reaction, and that is drillable.

Maybe you can, but I'm having a tough time with it, enough to the point that I'm frustrated and feel like I'm making no progress or improvement.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 27, 2022

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cessna posted:

Maybe you can, but I'm having a tough time with it, enough to the point that I'm frustrated and feel like I'm making no progress or improvement.

the more pragmatic approach would be to simply cozy up to the ref it sounds like....

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Checks cord connection, subtly slips ref a bottle of whiskey with a few bills stuck to the label.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cessna posted:

Checks cord connection, subtly slips ref a bottle of whiskey with a few bills stuck to the label.

now yer fencing with yer brain!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cessna posted:

Well maybe a change will be fun, it doesn't have to be forever. Foil will always be my first love, i think, but it's nice to do a bit of the other weapons from time to time. Keeps me honest.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Good article from the LA Times on fencing when you're older, here. This lines up with my experiences.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very cool. I've moved to a fencing wasteland and nearest club is 450kms away, with another 2-300km for an Epee club :/.
(Kendo is also 450km and I get about 1 session per month now).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Very cool. I've moved to a fencing wasteland and nearest club is 450kms away, with another 2-300km for an Epee club :/.
(Kendo is also 450km and I get about 1 session per month now).

Just tell the boss you need to borrow the bird to build some hours

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
im back on my bull poo poo

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Looking good!

I should try epee.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

If I want to own a real sabre (as in use-able) what are the reputable places to buy such? Is Museum Replicas good, bad, or other?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Are you planning to murder someone?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Not planning murder, but swords are rad and I'd prefer something functional over a gas station katana. They were cool when I was a teen though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hey, something I can weigh in on thanks to my little :spergin: sword collection. If you're in the US, Kult of Athena has a wide selection of generally decent manufacturers: https://www.kultofathena.com/product-category/swords/european-swords/

As a rule of thumb, anything below ~$200 is probably going to be unusable trash, while $400+ usually (but not always) tends to be solidly made. In terms of specific manufacturers, I had good experiences with LKChen and Dynasty Forge. Windlass and Cold Steel tend to be overweight, but still generally serviceable. That's about all I know.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Perestroika posted:

Oh hey, something I can weigh in on thanks to my little :spergin: sword collection. If you're in the US, Kult of Athena has a wide selection of generally decent manufacturers: https://www.kultofathena.com/product-category/swords/european-swords/

As a rule of thumb, anything below ~$200 is probably going to be unusable trash, while $400+ usually (but not always) tends to be solidly made. In terms of specific manufacturers, I had good experiences with LKChen and Dynasty Forge. Windlass and Cold Steel tend to be overweight, but still generally serviceable. That's about all I know.

Thanks! I've been looking at Windlass sabers and wanted some internet people other than youtubers' opinions.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Thanks! I've been looking at Windlass sabers and wanted some internet people other than youtubers' opinions.

Yeah chiming in that Museum Replica's quality is on the lower end. They make adequate wall hangers or display pieces though. Windlass is hit or miss. Gold standard is Albion Swords but they don't do anything remotely contemporary (wanna say they stop at the end of the renaissance), so if you could stomach a falchion/messer instead of a saber that could work.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Saw this grip at a tournament last weekend. It's 3d printed titanium:

I didn't want to spend THAT much, so I bought this instead. It weighs 46 grams:

I love the applied technology.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cessna posted:

Saw this grip at a tournament last weekend. It's 3d printed titanium:

I didn't want to spend THAT much, so I bought this instead. It weighs 46 grams:

I love the applied technology.

Do you need to add a large weight to balance it? Or is that less of an issue with pistol grips?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Do you need to add a large weight to balance it? Or is that less of an issue with pistol grips?

The printed grip was on an epee. I'm not really an epee fencer, but the blade is heavier than a foil blade - with practically nothing to balance it out it felt weird. I suspect that if I got used to it there wouldn't be a problem.

The light grip on my foil feels great.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Competitive sabre fencing has been melting down in crisis for the past week or so. Here's one of the things that lit the spark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiD3I008Xrg

In VERY brief terms: Sabre fencing's rules are open to interpretation. The rulebook is outdated and simply cannot cover every circumstance due to the nature of the sport. Even with super slow-motion replays some actions are ambiguous - and video isn't used in early rounds of competitions. As a result, referees make calls and decisions that may seem arbitrary. And, naturally, corruption follows.

This is video is calling it out at high levels. The person who made the video says they're a former Olympic fencer and I have no reason not to believe them. But as it is, I see this at the club level. I'm a mediocre fencer at best, but even in local competitions - well, I'll be blunt, the referees decide who wins the matches.

If anything I feel vindicated by this. I've fenced for years and felt like maybe it was something I just didn't understand, maybe there was some sort of logic behind those contentious calls that left me bewildered. It turns out that yes, there is logic - but it's all favoritism and corruption.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I saw that and I'm not surprised.
When you can ask 3 different referees about a fairly basic judgement and get 3 different answers that are all legitimate, you got a problem and it was the biggest reason I didn't pick up saber. Love the dynamics of it, but the margins in scoring are just too small.
Things I would like to see (Which may or may not be practical)
- Cutting edge/point only.
- Accelerometers as well as contact.
- stiffer blades

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Wouldn't that just be foil with a slightly different target area?

- stiffer blades

I think they did this back in the 70s.

I'll admit up front I don't know what the fix is myself. I've heard all kinds of ideas, like changing the lock-out time, but it seems like this is just swapping one problem for another. And it seems like sabre has been dealing with this sort of thing since, well forever - there have been all kinds of rules changes over time and none of them have ever resulted in a stable, easily interpreted sport.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

When you can ask 3 different referees about a fairly basic judgement and get 3 different answers that are all legitimate, you got a problem and it was the biggest reason I didn't pick up saber. Love the dynamics of it, but the margins in scoring are just too small.
- stiffer blades
An accelerometer wouldn't change the need to rule attack/counter/simul, and certainly wouldn't change the fact that some fencers mysteriously get better results with one ref than others and also mysteriously run into fewer referees than other fencers.

It would mean that getting a light on would be slightly harder so possibly maybe could reduce some opportunities for ref fuckery, but not really.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Here's a response to the ongoing sabre kerfuffle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzsmF6tNiUg&t=371s

For context, he's one of the top sabre referees in the US, if not the world.

And I have to say, again, I feel like he's saying what I've been noticing for years. In brief, he looked at every point in every sabre match in the Olympics from 2008 to 2021 and found that attacks land over 70% of the time now. This has gone up from 2008, when it was about 50/50. This means that offense is the way to go - defense and parries aren't as effective, so you need to attack.

As a result, at the start of a point - "ready, fence" - there's significant incentive to attack immediately. The upshot of this is that now 40%+ of points are simultaneous attacks. That is, "ready, fence," both fencers attack, both lights go on, and the referee makes the call on who had the best attack.

And this is where the seemingly arbitrary decisions come in. When simultaneous attacks are so close that it comes down to distinctions like "it looked like your elbow was slightly more extended (like I could really compare a millisecond's difference without a replay), your point" or "I think your foot made contact with the ground before your sword made contact (even though there's no replay and there's no way to prove it), attack is no, their point."

So, therefore, a match consists of a string of arbitrary decisions which means that the referees are essentially picking and choosing who wins based on personal preferences. I know his video is talking about high level matches and olympic qualifiers, but I see this every time I fence, even in friendly practices at the club. The upshot is that I have to fence differently depending on who is reffing - I know Greg looks for the angle of the sabre at the attack, so I'll stick it forward when he's reffing, but Jason watches footwork, so I'll hold my blade back and go more for parries, etc.

And that - well, it's absurd that I have to do that.

Imagine if you went out to play baseball and the ref said, "okay, both teams hit the ball over the fence, but their batter had better bat extension when he did it, so your run doesn't count." And then in the next game the ref said "I don't care about bat extension, you hit to left field, I like runs that go to right field, so your run doesn't count."

I think I'm going to have a talk with my coach tonight; I may be done with sabre.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 16, 2024

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Right, so the idea with my suggestions was to make it slightly harder to actually make contact, which would (?) make the attacks (and/or parries) more obvious.
I'm not a sabreur, though, just a meddling epeeist and not-so-meddling kendo-ist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

- stiffer blades

Gonna be a HEMA snob, but it's an issue of gear as much as judging. If the blade's an actual sabre blade and not a car antenna, edge alignment solves itself and action slows sufficiently to be judgeable.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Liquid Communism posted:

Gonna be a HEMA snob,

I would be a lot more interested in HEMA if it wasn't for the racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cessna posted:

I would be a lot more interested in HEMA if it wasn't for the racism.

Like any hobby, curate the people you play with. There are shitheels in any niche, it's your option to tell them to gently caress off.