Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Doubling the length of the show has really killed my enjoyment of it. The US format is quick fire and fun the new ITV version just feels really tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There are a lot of quizzers in the UK that would destroy James. I wouldn’t base it on a single week of J! over there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder if US Jeopardy heads would vibe with Only Connect?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I play in an online OC league that’s expanded to a US league as well as a UK one, that’s mainly made up of trivia people.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
trying to talk myself into doing COQL this year (it seems super fun) but i was on hiatus basically all last year and just doing OQL USA/Regions/Pop Solos might be too much

i guess i'll ask around and see if i can drag any of my pals into it

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Interesting choice today for UK Final Jeopardy: The clue was who is Europe's only reigning queen left with QEII's death.

The same queen who announced her abdication on 1/1 and formally steps down in three days.

Now I'm curious how the UK film their game shows. Also, given how they put disclaimers in for the US version, shouldn't it be the same elsewhere even if the clue is technically correct?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Why should they put a disclaimer if the clue is correct? She's the Queen of Denmark until she isn't.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Is wrong to enjoy when people who think they are as smart as James fail miserably?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think if episodes of quizzes are repeated (such as on Challenge, basically the UK's version of GSN) there's often a brief 'originally broadcast dd/mm/yy, answers correct at time of broadcast' on screen or in the credits.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gaz-L posted:

I think if episodes of quizzes are repeated (such as on Challenge, basically the UK's version of GSN) there's often a brief 'originally broadcast dd/mm/yy, answers correct at time of broadcast' on screen or in the credits.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? did something similar noting its date of recording due to the changing of Europe during its run. I assumed the news would've had a disclaimer but technically correct is the best type of correct less someone in Boston, Lincolnshire misinterpreted what happened

As for the US version. Safe to say the day 2 match may be a bit anticlimactic

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Island Nation posted:

As for the US version. Safe to say the day 2 match may be a bit anticlimactic

Don't care, I was so happy to see left podium guy eat it on that DD and Long put it away so thoroughly.

I had literally said to my wife at the break because Long got back to exactly $0, "Imagine how pissed off someone would be if you effectively just sat out round one just to crush them so hard in round 2 nothing they did mattered." This wasn't quite that, but close enough.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why should they put a disclaimer if the clue is correct? She's the Queen of Denmark until she isn't.
The disclaimer is to emphasize the date of the game, usually. If someone was watching it as a rerun in a few months, it wouldn't be true anymore.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They’ve added dates on first-run shows due to the taping delay before

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

haveblue posted:

They’ve added dates on first-run shows due to the taping delay before

That's what I thought they'd do for UK J! but different country, different rules.

Has anyone listened to the play in games? It's mostly the same but seemed to me Buzzy switched to decaf and you lose track of what the scores are though that's probably more accurate to being on stage.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Anyone in here looking for a LearnedLeague referral? I have two ONE left for this season and invites close in a couple days, so may as well use em up.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 18, 2024

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Did I miss something about the Find a Fish, category today? Did the clue where piranha was the answer not also have cod as an acceptable response as the word crocodile was included in its text? Did they mention something that would have made cod an incorrect fish to buzz in with?

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

cloudchamber posted:

Did I miss something about the Find a Fish, category today? Did the clue where piranha was the answer not also have cod as an acceptable response as the word crocodile was included in its text? Did they mention something that would have made cod an incorrect fish to buzz in with?

I think they probably would have had to accept it. I saw an episode once where the category was "Add An 'S'" where the clue said to add an S to this tree to make something wet, and the contestant said "What is slime?" Alex paused for a moment and said it was correct, and mentioned that his card said they were looking for "Soak" but the contestant's response was valid

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

UK jeopardy breaking out the killers this week

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I gave up on UK J! after they made a couple of screwups this week.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah it didn't hook me initially but i'll tune in for the marquee matchups and maybe some day go back and catch up when i completely run out of other things to do

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Sorry if this isn't the right place but does anyone know what the lowest score you can get on the Anytime Test and still be a contestant?

I took it this weekend and pretty sure I got an 86% (43/50).

Edit: However, there may have been two questions I didn't hit "enter" in time so it could be 82% (41/50)

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 22, 2024

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place but does anyone know what the lowest score you can get on the Anytime Test and still be a contestant?

I took it this weekend and pretty sure I got an 86% (43/50).

Edit: However, there may have been two questions I didn't hit "enter" in time so it could be 82% (41/50)

There is no actual disclosure of the threshold, but people have generally agreed 35/50 is the number. If you're confident you got over 40, you're probably fine.

Don't worry if you didn't hit enter, it auto-submits whatever you have entered when you run out of time. There's also probably some wiggle room if you're missing that last couple characters as long as it's abundantly clear you had the correct response but ran out of time while typing it.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There is no actual disclosure of the threshold, but people have generally agreed 35/50 is the number. If you're confident you got over 40, you're probably fine.

Don't worry if you didn't hit enter, it auto-submits whatever you have entered when you run out of time. There's also probably some wiggle room if you're missing that last couple characters as long as it's abundantly clear you had the correct response but ran out of time while typing it.

Ok good to know. Thank you!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I got notified that my LearnedLeague application is off the waitlist and it's now being processed with a start date of 2/12. Anything I should know that isn't on the site itself?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nothing really rules-wise I can think of.

The first season is often the least fun season, because your opponents aren't really at your skill level. If you're an "average" LLer, you're going to get absolutely destroyed a lot of your days, because you're going up against Jeopardy!-caliber players, and you're going to win pretty much by default other days. You also won't have a meaningful for your opponents, so you won't really know "they're strong at Current Events and weak at Literature" or whatever when guiding your points assignment.

Don't worry about it, just surrender to destiny and enjoy the questions. Worry about defense and competing in your second season.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Just remember when you start that the points you assign to each question are what your opponent will get for answering those questions, not what you'll get for them. That tripped me up a couple of times when I was first starting out, since it's the opposite of most trivia, in rich you rank your confidence in your own responses.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't really sweat the points aspect all that much for your first season, it's a crapshoot until you get out of the rookie rundles and into divisions with players that have some statistical history.

Though you will still see questions that are pretty obvious, or that you can assume are pretty esoteric knowledge, so for your first season you can sort of follow your instinct on scoring just based off of where questions fall on a general difficulty curve and still do pretty fine.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I suppose the Go axiom of losing your first 100 games quickly somewhat applies here. Get accustomed to the ways of the game and not to worry as much about the W/L record in the introductory season

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 23, 2024

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I suppose the Go axiom of losing your first 100 games quickly somewhat applies here. Get accustomed to the ways of the game and not to worry as much about the W/L record in the introductory season

Yeah, your first season (iirc) will be in a rookie rundle anyway, though I think your placement in the rookie rundle might determine which rundle you're in for your second season, after which you can get promoted or relegated if you're in the top/bottom 3 places of your rundle in a season, respectively (I think, maybe it's top/bottom 4). If all you care about is doing trivia, it's sort of immaterial though, since everybody gets the same questions. I've only done 3 seasons iirc so I have no idea how common it is to get promoted/relegated from season to season.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm a pretty consistent D-rundler, I haven't really made a concerted effort to study to get Better At Trivia.

In 25 seasons:
-I got sorted in D and immediately got demoted to E.
-Spent three seasons in E and made my way back to D and stayed there five seasons.
-I got demoted to E rundle and promoted back up to D the next season. Spent three seasons there.
-I got promoted to C rundle and demoted back down to D the next season. Spent nine seasons there.
-I got promoted to C rundle two seasons ago and held on to that by the skin of my teeth.

So, pretty rare unless you're trying hard.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 23, 2024

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i went between E and D (and then D and C) a lot, and now I'm doing the C-B back-and-forth, i think my total is like 3 seasons in B, 7 in C, 15 in D, 7 in E? something like that. the one tip i'd have is that there are often hints in the question especially if it's something that seems impossible (sometimes they are just impossible) but the question writer wants people to get them right. it's fun and tracking your improvement season-to-season is very fun

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah I was able to go from D to B by forcing myself to slow down and read the clues more carefully to look for hints and avoid stupid mistakes. Also, last season I was submitting my answers first thing in the morning with terrible results, and once I forced myself to wait until mid-morning to open the questions I climbed from the relegation zone to the middle of the table. So if you find yourself missing questions that you feel like you should be getting, try changing your answering routines.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

lol speaking of learnedleague did mayim start working over there or something, the Nakba question from the 2023 1DS has been scrubbed from existence

original text here (spoilered, of course, due to the "sensitivity" and "controversial nature")

10. OCTOBER: After Hamas militants kill hundreds of Israelis in a surprise attack launched from Gaza, Israel begins a military campaign inside Gaza that by year's end has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced 2 million more. The carnage in Gaza is described by many as a second what? The word, Arabic for "catastrophe," was historically used to describe the forced displacement of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians beginning in 1948 after Israel declared its statehood.

i've been doing LL for ten years and i've never seen this happen. i do not like it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

That's extremely fuckin stupid. It's a current events question with no editorializing whatsoever

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Sorry I'm new to this but how can I get an invite to LearnedLeague. I didn't know about it before today.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Sorry I'm new to this but how can I get an invite to LearnedLeague. I didn't know about it before today.

You can PM me with your email address and first and last name. The deadline to register for the season starting on Feb 12 was yesterday, the earliest you'd be able to start is the May season.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

e f b

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not surprised the question disappeared, just because there's no editorializing doesn't mean it's not hard for some people to read questions about an ongoing genocide.

It's the same reason why a lot of women insisted that there not be questions about Dobbs v Jackson in the aftermath of Roe v Wade being overturned. You don't want to read about lovely things happening to you/people close to you/people from your same demographic while they're still happening.

Anyway yeah LL is fun, it also takes a bit to get used to the question style. You might not move around a lot, I went from R to C to B to A over the course of about three years and while I came VERY close to being relegated from A a couple of times, I started in 88 so in 11 seasons I've only moved three times, and that includes the post-R shift after season one.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

I'm not surprised the question disappeared, just because there's no editorializing doesn't mean it's not hard for some people to read questions about an ongoing genocide.

It's the same reason why a lot of women insisted that there not be questions about Dobbs v Jackson in the aftermath of Roe v Wade being overturned. You don't want to read about lovely things happening to you/people close to you/people from your same demographic while they're still happening.

I understand and agree, i'm not some nut who thinks questions that are uncomfortable or in bad taste need to be included in quiz and i think "both sides" (ick) could have some legitimate gripes about the question.

I just think the way it was handled was exceptionally poor and if you choose to run the question, take answers all day, and score it, it's not reasonable to pretend it was never asked. (and people *are* starting to post on the LL boards about it to the point where hopefully we'll get some sort of statement which is really all i'm looking for.

anyway, uk jeopardy's on--go ~~~~~~emma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm not going to touch that question with a 23ft/7m pole since it's a no win situation. You will piss someone off talking about it and seems odd they'd put it up.

The question structure seems equally odd. A fairly wordy intro, the question buried in the middle then a less wordy conclusion meant to clue you in to the answer. I guess compared to Jeopardy it's Charles Dickens vs Ernest Hemingway in authorship