Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mercury_Storm posted:

You know what would be hardcore? If there guys instead made a server emulator for Wildstar, resurrected that in it's original form with the attunement process and everything, and played that instead. That would be hardcore.

I think I'm too dumb to get this reference, but it looks like that game was also made by NCSoft? I'll always have appreciation for what Teapot did for the GW2 community for years, but now he's done and baked, totally burned out. It's depressing to hear him talk about GW2 on stream these days, it reminds me of someone talking about a bad breakup with an ex.

But I'm happy he's happy playing retail WoW, he said himself that it suits his needs better. Good for him.

I disagree that GW2 is "easy," the vast majority of folks are not super hardcore raiders with 10-20k+ hours played and an encyclopedic knowledge of the mechanics and systems.

Meowywitch posted:

I would contend that the pve areas in Thorns are actually fairly difficult

Totally agree, HoT was very punishing back in the day and a major jump in difficulty. I think Anet received so much negative feedback over the game being "too hard" - especially with EoD, and the Soo Won/Dragon's End meta, that they designed Soto to be super new player friendly. Makes sense, it's a better business model for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it can be kinda hard to tweak the difficulty of coordinated raids since each person failing puts more load on the rest of the group. raiding with experienced players is like an entirely different encounter than raiding with newcomers

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Catching up and just had a few thoughts to add to things.

Meowywitch posted:

I would contend that the pve areas in Thorns are actually fairly difficult

AB and TD are where I stopped caring if I died. Then I started learning to do with being fully surrounded. Those maps took time getting used to and I still won't go as a character that I can't freestyle way way through fights and escapes.

Some of PoF gets rough with effects getting layered.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Think this is how I’m leaning. I’ll be a scrub with no mount but I’m okay with it for now since leveling has been so smooth and enjoyable.

Running around is a good way to get used to maps too. Getting to learn mobs and locations better than you would flying over or just zipping through. Take time and gather everything you can, even if you don't need the stuff it'll sell and you'll have some gold when you need. I got most of LW season 3 and 4 off of cashing gold out for gems and then you can grind season 3 maps for stuff to buy ascended things from the different maps. Pretty easy way to get gear really, just run around picking berries until you have enough for a breather.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm level 38 on my first character and having a lot of fun with the character story (despite the extremely awkward jump from the finale of dealing with my idiot cat father to now dragons are the enemy for some reason) and just exploring and doing the heart quests. It's a neat setting to explore, and I'm excited to see more.

I didn't know that anyone could enjoy the renown hearts... I skipped as many as I could and then had to grind them for days when I did map completion. My alts take the time to do them when they see them now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, what IS Destiny's Edge and why should I care about them?

nesamdoom posted:

I didn't know that anyone could enjoy the renown hearts... I skipped as many as I could and then had to grind them for days when I did map completion. My alts take the time to do them when they see them now.

I like running around and talking to NPCs and just doing small little quests :shobon:

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

They are the adventuring moms of the game. Like eir (norn mom) and zojja (asura mom) and some other people who had a dream of one day smacking the poo poo out of an elder dragon or three.

Why should you care about them... I have so many hours in this game but couldn't tell you.

They show up Living world season 1, Hot and I think living world season 3.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

it's who beyonce used to hang around and goon with

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

StrixNebulosa posted:

I like running around and talking to NPCs and just doing small little quests :shobon:

No hate, I just didn't like them and still don't. I learned to just do them along the way, for later use. I wasn't saying not to, just that if you have fun then it actually helps in the long run when you need map completion.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Theyre representatives of a raiding guild. Supposedly powerful but disorganized and petty and break up over nothing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like zojja (has more heart out of all of the others, combined)

But thats about it

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SooWon isnt hard, She loving RNG.

You can totally luck out and have her invunerable to the point where raid rotations arent going to cut it.
Unless they have nerfed her a bit.
I havent done much EoD in a while. While the Legendary weaps are hella easier to make than any previous, i think they all just look the same :/

As for soto. i think im pretty much pretty to make the heavy set and the 2 light pieces i need.

Then its back to weapons that look good.
Binding of Ipos and Shoosadoo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, soowon is still rng

sometimes you'll get 8 minutes left on the timer after the last split and kill her at 7:30 because she's nice and doesn't do bullshit

sometimes you'll get 8 minutes left on the timer after the last split and fail to kill her because she was only targetable for 3 seconds of those 8 minutes between all the swoops

they made it much less likely for this to happen, but it still can. anet think this is good boss design, somehow

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 23, 2024

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
She can swap sides a few too many times in a row it's true, but that's never been what made the event fail.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

The DE plot is part of the GW2 dragon lore, it's originally in a book (IIRC) and then gets developed further in story mode dungeons few people run, and a handful of appearances in the 1-80 personal story.

They have some role in what happens in Living World seasons 1 and 2 and some developments in Heart of Thorns, and mostly get shelved afterwards, replaced by a band of younger NPC heroes/sidekicks trying to do the same thing with the remaining dragons since LS1.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

StrixNebulosa posted:

Woah, you mean to say you didn't read GW2's founational texts? It's all explained in Edge of Destiny, and you should really familiarise yourself with Sea of Sorrows and Ghosts of Ascalon, otherwise you'll just be totally lost.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I was double totally lost when I started LWS2 when LWS1 was cut content and there were even MORE NPCs that I was supposed to care about that just kept showing up who I had no idea who they were

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
At this point they could throw an NPC at me and be like ' this is your great uncle Rupert featherbottom III esquire' and I would just nod sagely and welcome Rupert back from wherever he was and accept it as cannon.

Later we find out Rupert was actually a dragon the whole time and he was responsible for the ... Wait for it.... eND OF DRAGONs (roll credits)

But really, this is just aNet writing the way aNet do.
At least the cutscenes have gotten better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"hmm I guess I should try the dungeons. But I'm level 40+ and don't want to wait for LFG, let's try it solo"

holy balls this is hard, I'm finally having to learn how to synergize my skills and see what the enemies will do so I can focus fire the healers and elementalists.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

StrixNebulosa posted:

"hmm I guess I should try the dungeons. But I'm level 40+ and don't want to wait for LFG, let's try it solo"

holy balls this is hard, I'm finally having to learn how to synergize my skills and see what the enemies will do so I can focus fire the healers and elementalists.

Are you in one or both of the goon guilds? Unless you're set on trying to solo it, you can usually drum up a few people by asking in guild chat.

A weird thing that I wish they'd change is that if you want to take a group into a given dungeon in explorable mode, then a character (not account) that has already completed that dungeon's story mode version has to be the one who enters for the party (except for the final one, Arah).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

Are you in one or both of the goon guilds? Unless you're set on trying to solo it, you can usually drum up a few people by asking in guild chat.

A weird thing that I wish they'd change is that if you want to take a group into a given dungeon in explorable mode, then a character (not account) that has already completed that dungeon's story mode version has to be the one who enters for the party (except for the final one, Arah).

I'm not in any guilds, but at this point I'm willing to join up to do a dungeon!

I'll look into this later, I am overdue for walking the dog and doing IRL stuff now.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Meskhenet posted:

SooWon isnt hard, She loving RNG.

You can totally luck out and have her invunerable to the point where raid rotations arent going to cut it.
Unless they have nerfed her a bit.
I havent done much EoD in a while. While the Legendary weaps are hella easier to make than any previous, i think they all just look the same :/

The tl;dr version is that Soo Won/Dragon's End was more challenging upon release, a lot of the community was upset that the Turtle mount was locked behind completing DE, and struggled to defeat it. Fast forward - Anet nerfed the event, plus there's just a ton of power creep in general, so it's easier now. I'll admit, it feels bad to spend over an hour in DE and to fail - it's happened to me a few times. Then again, it's an MMO, not everything should be a total pushover (in my opinion). The bigger take away is that the whole situation divided the community and caused some drama.

Was it justified to nerf it? I couldn't say, never played DE upon release. Maybe other folks in the thread can speak to that.

This is an older video, but here's Mukluk's take, since he raid leads and knows way more about this than I do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfIluxQzVg

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It was the very first time you could actually lose in open world and the community was just not prepared for that. (at least in the modern history. I hear release chak gerent was hard but I cant speak to that)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You have to read the GW2 books to know who Destiny's Edge is, which is annoying because they're featured in the game in a way that makes it seem like you should be familiar with all their exploits. GW2 launched during the cross-media trend of games, where they would put out a web series or book/comic and expect you to actually read/watch them to be all caught up.

Mass Effect 3 had a similar thing in the new companion James Vega, who just shows up like you're already buddies with him, but has a short comic outlining how he came to know Shepard

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Neutron posted:

It was the very first time you could actually lose in open world and the community was just not prepared for that. (at least in the modern history. I hear release chak gerent was hard but I cant speak to that)

I've always wanted challenge mode versions of all the open world bosses, there's so much potential. I'm not saying it would be good or fair to make new folks suffer through a very difficult event, but how cool would it be if you could use an item/key/trigger and unlock the challenge mode version of Fire Elemental, Teq, Drakkar, etc?

Something that requires organization of sub groups, boons, heals, DPS - maybe there's an enrage timer - maybe the reward could be green/blue shards, some kinda universal currency - or a super rare infusion drop. Maybe if you speed run it or complete it a certain way, you'd earn a title.

It seems like such an easy way to breathe new life into existing content. Think of the system they're using for hosting private Convergences, they could try something similar for spawning Open World CM bosses. Just an idea.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 23, 2024

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

They also made the mistake of gating a very appealing mount to more casual players (siege turtle) behind a difficult endgame challenge that they were not ready for.
Also it took two goddamn hours, which is not the place for open world fail states, hah.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
drat, 150 ascended shards for completing the PvP bonus week. I just need 600 more to finish a set of legendary armor and retire from PvP permanently. That'll save me a lot of time.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

You can still lose king of the jungle if nu isnt a 1 burn and you cant hit lvl 0 popping nodules (because too many people showed up too late and it scaled)

You can fail SB if everyone doesnt do their part.

The difference was, youve spent 1-2 hours in map pushing events and you get a boss that cant be damaged while the clock is ticking down.

Imagine teq's timer ran while doing the batteries, you would probably see some fails happening there too on less populatd maps.

Everytime soowon cant be damaged, her timer should stop. Thats all that needed to happen.

But, they solved that problem by letting you buy 5 stones a week and never having to do that meta/boss again

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Aside from the whole 2 hour to complete thing from start to finish, GW2 has always had a problem with people afking or half-assing through world events, not even including the people who play at the level of quarter-assing at their best, so you go through those 2 hours to fail at 2% because nobody could find their CC buttons or all you can do is give the stink-eye to the people who afked at the waypoint after doing bare-minimum contribution to the event, or have everyone play perfectly and still fail because the boss decided to spam it's invulnerability attacks instead of the "stand in place and get wailed on" attacks.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Keep in mind the dungeons are largely unchanged since release 12 years ago aside from their reward structure and in those 12 years only one new dungeon path has been added 11 years ago, they are a bit dated but largely powercrept/knowledgecrept by the playerbase, get a person or two who has done them before and it's pretty fast and rewarding, if very old content.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I did my first dungeon yesterday. Another person in the group was new as well, but we were all carried by an experienced max level guy who was nice enough to give brief notes about each area. I’m sure it would have been a different, slower experience otherwise.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah dungeons used to be multiple wipe things, take a few hours, but were fun because you were doing them with friends.

Then they became, zerker gerar only ping gear. fast run. if this take more than 10 minutes we kick you because its 1g per run.....

Now they are back to being chill.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Dungeons were the last time gold find had any value since it increased boss coin, people would chain-run the later dungeons in under 5 minutes per wing (or multiple wings at the same time with weird movement tech to get to unintended locations) and each boss would drop 60+ silver with max gold find, that was before the reward restructuring.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Jedah posted:

I think I'm too dumb to get this reference, but it looks like that game was also made by NCSoft? I'll always have appreciation for what Teapot did for the GW2 community for years, but now he's done and baked, totally burned out. It's depressing to hear him talk about GW2 on stream these days, it reminds me of someone talking about a bad breakup with an ex.

But I'm happy he's happy playing retail WoW, he said himself that it suits his needs better. Good for him.

In all fairness, playing something for thousands of hours will do that to you. I'm not advocating that it's unhealthy or anything (I don't really care) but eventually you play something that you like so much that you loop around to being burned out or hating the thing you loved. You just start seeing the flaws and those will outweigh all the fun you have with the game. You can only do the same thing so much, y'know?

I'll agree though that Anet does release more challenging content at a glacial pace, which I assume is a mixture of the community preferring open-world PvE at large, and the hardcore community being fairly small - and let's be honest, GW2 was never really a game for hardcore raiders... at least it never felt marketed that way to me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

you can mow through most parts of dungeons pretty fast but there's some that can give you trouble still (rocket turrets...if u know u know)

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah dungeons used to be multiple wipe things, take a few hours, but were fun because you were doing them with friends.

Then they became, zerker gerar only ping gear. fast run. if this take more than 10 minutes we kick you because its 1g per run.....

Now they are back to being chill.

What happened to make them fun again? They were my favorite content in the game but stopped being fun real quick when the only people playing them were speedrunning and if you didn’t stand where they wanted they screamed at you.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Powercreep letting people shitstomp them without needing to know the speedrun strats is a thing that helped for starters, you can just drive by everything and it'll just melt, bosses die super fast too, so you don't need to have thieves that know where to shadowstep to portal and all that poo poo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jedah posted:

I think I'm too dumb to get this reference, but it looks like that game was also made by NCSoft?

Wildstar was an MMO made by the devs that left WoW before it really took off and refused to believe it was their ideas that was holding it back. Lots of jokes replacing snowflake with cupcake, an attunement process that would break 20% of the time and the only way to fix it was to delete your character and make a new one, a heavy focus on a 64 vs 64 pvp map without matchmaking so it only fired off maybe 3 times in the games life and when the first raid was cleared after nerfing the final boss the devs called the players entitled whiners that wanted everything handed to them.

The gameplay was fun once you installed a mod or two to fix the controls and had the best housing simulation of any MMO so it does get some fond lookbacks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

OzFactor posted:

What happened to make them fun again? They were my favorite content in the game but stopped being fun real quick when the only people playing them were speedrunning and if you didn’t stand where they wanted they screamed at you.

Yeah the power creep.

There is a part in the mt malstroum dungeon, before you even get to choose a path, where there used to be an icebrood wolf that would 1 hit anything and absolutely gently caress the party. You knew if you couldnt get past this after 20 minutes, just disband.

Now if you afk when you go in, even for like 15 seconds, by the time you catch up to the group, that thing is already dead and you get to do that dungeon. (the golem bombs bit is still loving stupid, but is now doable with unorganised monkeys that knew how to do it 10 years ago, and can vaugely remember what to do, maybe sort of...... and if someone brings ageis, then you extra sweet.)

So yeah, not being screamed at for not standing in the exact right spot as said above.

And the stories are usually somewhat fun.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
What really made dungeons difficult back then was a combination of everyone not being properly geared, not knowing the "optimal" combo finishers, and most importantly not knowing about just how important boons are in this game.

No joke, boon-stacking was a revelation to the community and changed the game for a lot of people. Stacking in general became the way to clear content because everything is based on radius, not who's in your group, and the enemies just converged on the group anyway, meaning your aoe heals and resses would hit everyone and there was no need to watch the arena. Add projectile reflection to the mix and suddenly the game is a lot easier.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

You're kinda right, but I have found that stuff still dies fast enough that skills barely comes off cooldown in dungeons, and this is with very subpar groups. I have noticed a dip in damage only when running with sub 80 players

Also boons are easier to stack than before, even if some builds feel less fun at times for alac and quicknesd

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the power creep in this game has been quite silly

you can probably solo any dungeon path that doesn't straight up have a "must have this many players sit in circle" mechanic. for the recent dungeon rush i was waiting for friends to log in and got through an ascalon path solo in about 45 minutes despite remembering zero mechanics about it from 10+ years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Truga posted:

the power creep in this game has been quite needed

There are more and more events added, more and more to do and more game area to spread players in, while the playerbase size is more or less the same.
If content does not become easier but continue to require the same playernumbers then the content will become difficult to impossible to do.