Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1749248208688296153

lol at pulling the "looks like a real fight" argument in a lucha match where one of them is wearing a giant wig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I would not be the slightest bit surprised if Tony would buy out at least one of the Japanese companies rather than let them go under entirely

Boy howdy would that make dudes on twitter extremely mad

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

apophenium posted:

The AEW show I went to a guy yelled "You look like a horse" at Aubrey Edwards and me and my wife and everyone around us yelled at him to shut da gently caress up. I think some people are just lovely and like to be lovely in public and that stinks

i was at dynamite in newark a couple weeks back and there was a guy in his late 30s, early 40s with not a ton of hair left, but had an undying amount of enthusiasm for christian cage. he was in the sleeveless turtleneck, coiffed his hair into cage's style the best he could, and carried a cardboard (but well-made) tnt title. when cole and the kingdom came out to talk and the crowd started the "he's our scumbag" chant, jersey christian bellowed out the best he could "christian cay-age" over and over for the duration. it was endearing and hilarious. im glad the two shows i went to had no real shitheads yelling shithead stuff

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

i was at dynamite in newark a couple weeks back and there was a guy in his late 30s, early 40s with not a ton of hair left, but had an undying amount of enthusiasm for christian cage. he was in the sleeveless turtleneck, coiffed his hair into cage's style the best he could, and carried a cardboard (but well-made) tnt title. when cole and the kingdom came out to talk and the crowd started the "he's our scumbag" chant, jersey christian bellowed out the best he could "christian cay-age" over and over for the duration. it was endearing and hilarious. im glad the two shows i went to had no real shitheads yelling shithead stuff

i went to the first Newark show and i was sat next to a dude who, when i wasn't looking directly at him, i swear to god i thought he was 15 based on his voice but he had to have been in his late 30s at the youngest and more and more i'm convinced it was JDfromNY or some other loser like that because multiple times he's bragged about how good he is at trolling people on twitter and bitched about everything as the show went on

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

I think he was in charge of the women's division in ROH which is why The Allure was pushed so heavily.

Velvet Sky, yeah?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Wow Terry Moore what’s he been up to

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

little munchkin posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1749248208688296153

lol at pulling the "looks like a real fight" argument in a lucha match where one of them is wearing a giant wig

Real fights are over in like 10 seconds

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I love that they're saying that about a video where the third clip is Psicosis just standing on the outside waiting for Rey Mysterio to do a jump onto him

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I would say Enjoy wrestling has some of the best friends I've made; though it's cheating since I know a lot of them since it's a lot of Pittsburgh leftists, trans people, and the wrestlers themselves. Enjoy would say is unique since the owners really don't want it to be a "Wrestling Fans" promotion they get great talent but market to the "hey this seems cool and never gone to a wrestling show before" vibe

Enjoy is indeed very good at doing that. The talent that does those shows are pretty nice, they ended up at the same bar I went to after the last show. Never felt the crowd was weird and Mr Smalls is a great venue for a show.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

fart blood posted:

Real fights are over in like 10 seconds

if that plus the fact that everyone will be immediately gassed like 30 seconds in

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

if that plus the fact that everyone will be immediately gassed like 30 seconds in

X minutes of hootin' and hollerin' and come at me bro'in'
10 seconds of impotent swinging
takedown?
maybe a minute of cuddling and heavy breathing until people break it up

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
real fights involve a lot of putting your hands down to look into a nearby camera and emote whatever you're feeling into it

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

whenever i'm in a real fight I stop and do sick poses whenever i get a huge pop from the crowd that is also there

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
I make sure that crowd counts along to every punch I throw.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
My fights are often intercut with recaps of why we're fighting each other so the onlookers are never at risk of forgetting why we're fighting

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

people know they're going to see me deliver an rear end Kicking when "headstrong" by trapt suddenly comes over the grocery store speakers and im in a costume that any respectable drag queen would call "garish and unnecessary" stomping towards my victim in the produce section

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Velvet Sky, yeah?

Yes. I was going to post Angelina Love but she's in a relationship with Fodder. I knew she was dating a funny guy but I forgot which. I have no idea what percentage of that booking was Delirious, Bully or others, but Bully seems like a logical reason they got so much time.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

every time i have a real fight i make sure to slap my thigh whenever i kick someone. alternatively, i stomp the ground every time i throw a punch. also mike tenay is there, for some reason?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

in a real fight I throw my opponent far away and start loudly counting, if I make it to ten before he gets back then he is the loser

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

in a real fight I throw my opponent far away and start loudly counting, if I make it to ten before he gets back then he is the loser

In all my fights when I've done that I throw them in a direction and they just keep running in a straight line until they hit something and then immediately start running back.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
What I do is simply take a chair and hit them with it. They might have won the fight, but I'm still the champion

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Asking for realism in a wrestling match is like asking for a film to be shot under Dogma 95. Sure, it's possible, but it's very limiting, not the only way to do what you want to do, and sometimes results in your end product looking like crap.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
No promotion that emphasised realism has survived, it's boring as poo poo after the first few shows.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can have a few Bloodsport matches before it wears off. Wrestling is supposed to be fun, a thing these Idiots can't understand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guillermus posted:

You can have a few Bloodsport matches before it wears off. Wrestling is supposed to be fun, a thing these Idiots can't understand.

With how some of these folks don't even want wrestling on their wrestling I genuinely have no idea where they derive their fun, although they don't seem to be having fun in any case.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lamuella posted:

Asking for realism in a wrestling match is like asking for a film to be shot under Dogma 95.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Realism in wrestling can be cool, early Pancrase & Rings are fun precisely because it's hard to tell the difference between work & shoot. But there was more money in just going all in on the burgeoning MMA side of things. It's just one of those things where if you accept you're doing it then it's not going to make much money. If any. It's so niche, even among a niche of a niche.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Clearly we will find the mythical Casual Audience inside the niche of a niche of a niche

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dogme 95 was just a film experiment with a couple danish filmmakers where they try and shoot film without any sort of artifice. And for it to be a Dogme 95 movie you have to take a vow of chastity.

Dogme 95:

The Vow of Chastity

"I swear to submit to the following set of rules drawn up and confirmed by DOGME 95:

1. Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
2. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot).
3. The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. (The film must not take place where the camera is standing; shooting must take place where the film takes place).
4. The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
5. Optical work and filters are forbidden.
6. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
7. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)
8. Genre movies are not acceptable.
9. The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
10. The director must not be credited.
Furthermore I swear as a director to refrain from personal taste! I am no longer an artist. I swear to refrain from creating a "work", as I regard the instant as more important than the whole. My supreme goal is to force the truth out of my characters and settings. I swear to do so by all the means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic considerations.
Thus I make my VOW OF CHASTITY."
Copenhagen, Monday 13 March 1995

On behalf of DOGME 95

Lars von Trier Thomas Vinterberg

There’s really only been a couple of actual Dogme 95 movies and even those there’s a little bit of cheating. It’s a fun experiment though when someone attempts it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

thats cool. wrestling should have more vows

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

projecthalaxy posted:

I agree.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

Realism in wrestling can be cool, early Pancrase & Rings are fun precisely because it's hard to tell the difference between work & shoot. But there was more money in just going all in on the burgeoning MMA side of things. It's just one of those things where if you accept you're doing it then it's not going to make much money. If any. It's so niche, even among a niche of a niche.

Another issue with promotions like that is the participants not really having much personality. Modern MMA is developing this problem too now that everyone involved is a boring chud.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Don't know if Rich and Joe would like that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

Another issue with promotions like that is the participants not really having much personality. Modern MMA is developing this problem too now that everyone involved is a boring chud.

Just as Joe wanted, really.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The_Rob posted:

There’s really only been a couple of actual Dogme 95 movies and even those there’s a little bit of cheating. It’s a fun experiment though when someone attempts it.

Festen is legitimately a classic. Italian For Beginners is a lot of fun. Beyond that it quite quickly gets into people doing it to do it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lamuella posted:

Festen is legitimately a classic. Italian For Beginners is a lot of fun. Beyond that it quite quickly gets into people doing it to do it.

Fester rules. I also really like The Idiots.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The_Rob posted:

Dogme 95 was just a film experiment with a couple danish filmmakers where they try and shoot film without any sort of artifice. And for it to be a Dogme 95 movie you have to take a vow of chastity.

Dogme 95:

The Vow of Chastity

"I swear to submit to the following set of rules drawn up and confirmed by DOGME 95:

1. Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
2. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot).
3. The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. (The film must not take place where the camera is standing; shooting must take place where the film takes place).
4. The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
5. Optical work and filters are forbidden.
6. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
7. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)
8. Genre movies are not acceptable.
9. The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
10. The director must not be credited.
Furthermore I swear as a director to refrain from personal taste! I am no longer an artist. I swear to refrain from creating a "work", as I regard the instant as more important than the whole. My supreme goal is to force the truth out of my characters and settings. I swear to do so by all the means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic considerations.
Thus I make my VOW OF CHASTITY."
Copenhagen, Monday 13 March 1995

On behalf of DOGME 95

Lars von Trier Thomas Vinterberg

Can you give me a list of examples that have met this criteria? And which are the best? I would like to see what the final product would look like

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Shard posted:

Can you give me a list of examples that have met this criteria? And which are the best? I would like to see what the final product would look like

https://www.movementsinfilm.com/blog/dogme95-films-1995-2005

Here’s the list of Dogme 95 films. I really like The Celebration and The Idiots.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The_Rob posted:

https://www.movementsinfilm.com/blog/dogme95-films-1995-2005

Here’s the list of Dogme 95 films. I really like The Celebration and The Idiots.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really like Festen/The Celebration. Excellent movie all around. Liked Dogville at first but now all I can see when I watch it is LVT's fetish for making women miserable both on and off camera.

With years of space (and relevant academic experience) the most important Dogme rules in my mind are those related to plot construction: focus on telling a story about people and their experiences instead of a spectacle. Especially in the digital age all of the technical stuff is moot. But that's all just tracing Aristotle anyway.