Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dang they subcontracted out "can you help me hold this sign." I coulda written that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

How's the performance on the Switch version of Dead Cells? The complete edition is on sale, but I've read some scattered stuff about people hitting freezes and slowdowns.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

also IIRC the writing for totk was literally subcontracted out because they didn't consider it that important so :v:

they were right

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I want a game where Link is reincarnated as the only male Gerudo of that generation and he is constantly falling into Ganondorf tropes except now he's framed as the good guy.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So like

How do the gerudo, you know

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

So like

They go to town and pick up guys. Seriously. That is it.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hulk Krogan posted:

How's the performance on the Switch version of Dead Cells? The complete edition is on sale, but I've read some scattered stuff about people hitting freezes and slowdowns.

It's great. No problems performance wise.

My minor gripe is that some of the DLC is so late game, you won't see any of it for a hot minute if you suck. I've gotten to the lighthouse boss exactly twice, and still haven't fought the Queen. You have to skip the Castlevania part in the first level to farm different blueprints the second time the path comes up, which could be hours in between if you go slow.

Still a great game though. Play Dead Cells.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

So like

I think it’s like the sex mini game in god of war 1.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

if ganondorf has any depth at all beyond "boogawooga, im the evil man whose gonna getcha" then some players might feel like perhaps they are not being a Hero of Justice when they mercilessly cut him down.

also IIRC the writing for totk was literally subcontracted out because they didn't consider it that important so :v:

and yet it easily demolishes botws writing. really makes you think lol

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

So like

Parthenogenesis, like that species of lizards.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol the twitter freak goes "well the writers for botw, one of whom is literally only a writer, are both credited on totk but not as writer" while also showing they werent credited as that on botw either. good poo poo, thanks for linking this insane rando inventing a conspiracy theory.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Have you ever stopped to really appreciate Shout by Tears for Fears?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7FKc1JQe4

I’ve always really liked this song and recently I learned to extra appreciate it for influencing NIN. Tonight though I’ve reached a new level of appreciation - this song could be a DKC song!

I hear it a lot in the first half of the song. The synth line that comes in at 50 seconds is a chill DKC track. The percussion in the little bit that starts at 2:42. All the industrial sounds throughout.

Now I need to go down a rabbit hole to learn about David Wise.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

What about all the nintendo You Tubers who literally cried at the game

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I think I'm gonna have to trust ZeldaloreYT on this one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

lol the twitter freak goes "well the writers for botw, one of whom is literally only a writer, are both credited on totk but not as writer" while also showing they werent credited as that on botw either. good poo poo, thanks for linking this insane rando inventing a conspiracy theory.

https://twitter.com/Maddi8008/status/1748189604736340241

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

☝️

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What annoyed me with TotK's story is that you watched the same cutscenes four times doing every dungeon.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

On top of getting most of the benefits of the mirror and knowing the boss stages and movements inside out it was mainly about figuring out my favourite gods' boons and rolling with those

Artemis and her crits are hands down the best boons, stacking status curses to get the damage bonus from the mirror, and then making cast builds if you get the right Demeter/Zeus boons is my way to go. I mostly hate Aphrodite and Poseidon for weak and knockback, unless you can get the buff to weak that also makes foes susceptible to more damage. Athena's dash deflect is also great as a crutch when you're less confident in your timing for dashing through attacks.

On my best runs I would know things were going well when in the small temple of styx rooms I could press like 6 buttons and immediately win. Obviously I had less optimal builds where there was a lot of kiting, plinking and hiding-behind-rocks in the final battle.

Aphro's charm is super powerful. It can interrupt your dad in the middle of him throwing a fit.
About to be murdered by yer old man? Give him a kiss, tell him you love him, and send him home.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

HazCat posted:

Parthenogenesis
No one move a muscle as the dead come home.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

So like

They have classes in the caves underneath their town in TotK to teach young Gerudo women how to go out in the world and meet guys elsewhere...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's a class in BOTW in Gerudo Town about picking up guys.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
anyone else want to give the answer that's been given 3 times

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They all gently caress link

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

:same:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

anyone else want to give the answer that's been given 3 times

i might give it a shot,

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So gerudo genes are just extremely strong so their kids come out as female gerudo except on the very rare occasion a dude is born and then they become the evil king? or are there a bunch of dudes who have gerudo mums but they weren't evil or female so they live elsewhere

idk sounds like weird genes man.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's magic OP

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Early TotK should I be running back to the sky island Zonai distributor to get stuff? I see tons of those Hyrule rebuild project sites but none of its useful if its just going to sit there. Got the Wind Temple down last night at least.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Early TotK should I be running back to the sky island Zonai distributor to get stuff? I see tons of those Hyrule rebuild project sites but none of its useful if its just going to sit there. Got the Wind Temple down last night at least.

you'll find other distributors that spit out different devices so no real compulsion to keep going back. but maybe worth it if you're low on devices that are universally useful

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

You should be doing whatever you want but what you're describing doesn't sound necessary or optimal

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cool I'll grab some fans then just find a horse and do some tower activation and shrines, ty!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I can see preferring BotW simply from its atmosphere. TotK really fills in a lot of the empty space of BotW's world, but it makes sense considering the circumstances of that game, plus there's still tons of new things to explore. But if someone really loves just wandering the wilderness and exploring the most obscure corners of the world, BotW is basically unmatched there, including by TotK.

That said, I still prefer TotK, but drat are both games great.

Yeah they are very different games. BotW is much more focused on the exploration while TotK is much more focused on zipping around doing stuff everywhere all the time. At release I fell into the trap of saying "Wow TotK makes BotW look like a tech demo" but after putting a ton of time into it, I see what it DOESN'T do well and how all the features can kind of dilute the experience.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 23, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah they are very different games. BotW is much more focused on the exploration while TotK is much more focused on zipping around doing stuff everywhere all the time. It release I fell into the trap of saying "Wow TotK makes BotW look like a tech demo" but after putting a ton of time into it, I see what it DOESN'T do well and how all the features can kind of dilute the experience.

Makes me think a bit of Saints Row 3 into Saint's Row 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah they are very different games. BotW is much more focused on the exploration while TotK is much more focused on zipping around doing stuff everywhere all the time. At release I fell into the trap of saying "Wow TotK makes BotW look like a tech demo" but after putting a ton of time into it, I see what it DOESN'T do well and how all the features can kind of dilute the experience.

TotK has plenty of exploration though? It is just faster and more fun. BotW was fun but going back to it after TotK makes it feel glacially slow.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the exploration and discovery was the best aspect of botw but it's also something that loses a ton of value after the first time. it suffers a good deal from not being able to play it for the first time again.

it's stil a very good game even with that, i just think totk's focus on loving around makes it more enjoyable more than once.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I really only loved totk when there was the easy dupe trick of dropping your stuff while jumping.

I started a new game recently with new updates and the tricks written out and didn't love it as much without everything I needed right in my pockets anytime I wanted.

I'm older now and have kids and family priorities so I don't get to play things like I used to, so the grind doesn't really work for me anymore. It's a me problem, not a TotK problem. Game great.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The depths can be kind of dull after a while, but there is something to be said for climbing a mushroom tree in the dark and suddenly hearing a Colgera flying over you where you cannot see it :D

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

TotK has plenty of exploration though? It is just faster and more fun. BotW was fun but going back to it after TotK makes it feel glacially slow.

I didn't say TotK has no exploration, I said BotW is more focused on exploration. And I don't think TotK's is more fun just because you can move around faster, fly, skydive from above, it makes the act of going from point A to point B quicker but it takes away from the atmospheric quality and pacing that roaming the world had in BotW

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the exploration and discovery was the best aspect of botw but it's also something that loses a ton of value after the first time. it suffers a good deal from not being able to play it for the first time again.

it's stil a very good game even with that, i just think totk's focus on loving around makes it more enjoyable more than once.

See the thing is TotK suffers from this on an initial playthrough. They added little new features everywhere but you lose the wonder of stuff like "Is that a dragon in the sky?" "Wait, there's a jungle in this game?" if you played BotW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

hes a kid