Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean it can technically wipe out your farm fields so it's not like the name is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ddtgrain warhead

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I love having a giant shootout vs a drop-pod raid in the warehouse, and then just as the last raider goes down and we’re cleaning out the corpses I realize that somewhere in this warehouse in an unlabeled shoebox is the antigrain warhead we got from that quest last year and never bothered to make that security vault for.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

The real question is grain of sand or grain of rice

or phenobarbital

or calcium carbonate

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's all a big typo and they're anti-Graham warheads

they're just also quite effective against people named other things as well

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Even a grain of antimatter is like, three kilotons of tnt eq. Pretty sure that'd erase a grid square/hex on its own.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Towards the heavier end of what a JDAM in the real world can deliver? You’re talking enough explosives to ruin a city block, destroying the structures closest to the blast and damaging the rest enough that they’ll probably have to be knocked down and rebuilt to be safe.

So kills or probably-lethal wounds on soft targets in the open for a quarter of the map, on the size I’ve always used (second-largest, I think it’s the default). If it landed in the open and there were no obstructions, anyway, just being behind 2-3 layers of wall or mountain would protect you from everything but heat radiating from the blast effects which missed you, and any concussion effects (large explosions can kill you by loving up your lungs or brain, without your being burned or touched by a single shard of shrapnel)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
so yeah your grain does not stand a chance

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Mzbundifund posted:

I love having a giant shootout vs a drop-pod raid in the warehouse, and then just as the last raider goes down and we’re cleaning out the corpses I realize that somewhere in this warehouse in an unlabeled shoebox is the antigrain warhead we got from that quest last year and never bothered to make that security vault for.

My favorite is when a pawn goes on a mental break and decides they need to punch some mortar shells to release some steam

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I also thought antigrain was to kill fields lol. It made sense with the war crime simulator aspect!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I was always baffled by the confusion over what antigrain shells do. It's a weird name, but it's also the only mortar shell you can't build yourself, so the first thing I did when I got one was look at the description because why on earth can I build high explosives and incendiaries but not an "antigrain" warhead? Oh, that's why.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Until this discussion I didn't know antigrain meant "antimatter grain" but I didn't think it killed crops, I thought antigrain was just a word i was unfamiliar with that described it's effect. Like it antigrains you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kanos posted:

I was always baffled by the confusion over what antigrain shells do. It's a weird name, but it's also the only mortar shell you can't build yourself, so the first thing I did when I got one was look at the description because why on earth can I build high explosives and incendiaries but not an "antigrain" warhead? Oh, that's why.

It sounds like you experienced the same confusion as everyone else, according to your story

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Well there are a bunch of mortar shell types which I’ve never used, then incendiary shells which I’ve used a bit, and then your actual mortar shells.

No version of unmodded mortar in Rimworld is reliable enough that you can use a single tube reserved for smoke to provide cover for an advance. If you ran into Firefoam and Smoke shells first and read them only to be disappointed, running into what sounds like a weirdly-named Defoliant shell is both unsurprising and unexciting.

Regardless of what one might think, it happens often enough that we have this conversation in this thread about every year, and those of us who fell for the name ambiguity without checking have got jokes about it.

I’ll point out once again that it’s the only item/name combo in the game which causes this kind of confusion to this degree.

e: ^^^^^ *antigrains you until you’re big and round*

e2: “what was that flash?! gently caress, uh, I HATE bread now. We just got antigrained.”

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

QuarkJets posted:

It sounds like you experienced the same confusion as everyone else, according to your story

The usual confusion is people going "I never even used one for ages because why would I want to blow up farms", which implies they didn't read the description.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You experienced the confusion, you just looked at it more and figured it out - others who experienced the same confusion just didn't bother.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't know why anyone would think there would be a way to destroy farms/crops, precisely because that's not something you would ever want to do* but it clearly confuses enough people that it is, by definition, a bad name

* I guess you could try to starve out enemies in a siege but for a variety of reasons nobody is ever likely to try this

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't know why anyone would think there would be a way to destroy farms/crops, precisely because that's not something you would ever want to do* but it clearly confuses enough people that it is, by definition, a bad name

* I guess you could try to starve out enemies in a siege but for a variety of reasons nobody is ever likely to try this

people who don't know what it means: "that sounds stupid and lame, must not be important"
people who know what it means: "still sucks, but whatever"
absolutely nobody: "wow that's a really clever name"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

silentsnack posted:

people who don't know what it means: "that sounds stupid and lame, must not be important"

:hmmyes:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Leave antigrain as-is but change it to create secondary explosions if it damages crops.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isndl posted:

Leave antigrain as-is but change it to create secondary explosions if it damages crops.

That would be fuckin cool and very Rimworld, it's an arcotech warhead that turns plant matter into chemfuel and then creates a big explosion.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Everyone sneeze and cough into this empty mortar shell. We're going to launch it at our enemies and infect their crops with blight.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

QuarkJets posted:

The item isn't named "grain warhead"

it's one grain of antimatter is how I always interpreted it

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

You experienced the confusion, you just looked at it more and figured it out - others who experienced the same confusion just didn't bother.

Yeah but its the exact same confusion one would experience with boomalope or a boomrat or a persona sword, or etc etc etc whatever because those are OG rimworld game concepts.

So you read the description and figure it out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Those other things are exactly what they sound like though. A boomrat is a rat that explodes. A persona sword is a sword with a personality.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

silentsnack posted:

yeah this or "...haa"

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

yeah the problem isn't that Antigrain is a made up word that people aren't familiar with the problem is a combination of anti- being a commonly used prefix and grain not being a commonly used measurement. People see anti- and assume it's modifying grain, not short for antimatter, and they see grain and assume it means like wheat.

Every other made up Rimworld term doesn't have this problem because the first half isn't a common prefix and the second half is a more commonly used word.

Like I haven't read the descriptions for most things in Rimworld but I could intuit what they are out from the name, but if you try to do that with Antigrain you are more likely to get it wrong

VideoWitch fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 23, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Antigrain warheads should empty out your enemy's hunger bar and give them extreme malnutrition.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antigrain warheads should create a huge explosion and when the dust settles there's a massive field of corn just sitting there ready to be harvested, you see it's intuitive because it's an antimatter explosion that also creates a bunch of grain crops

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Wouldn't that be a Prograin Warhead?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Back to ‘no that’s a Grain Warhead’

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Someone please mod in the Progaine Warhead, it causes all effected pawns to suddenly have long hair

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Antigrain warhead instantly eliminates the Three Corpses from people in the area, greatly extending their lifespan.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Lone Badger posted:

Those other things are exactly what they sound like though. A boomrat is a rat that explodes. A persona sword is a sword with a personality.

I think you are looking at this from a perspective of someone who knows the game better. Even if I were to make the leap as a newbie that a persona sword is a sword with a personality I am going to have zero idea what that actually means gameplay wise unless I examine the item.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

This is why I say that being one among a set of largely-useless mortar rounds makes it uniquely uninteresting to actually inspect. Cool, some more fancy poo poo I'm not going to use, for the mortar I tried to use maybe a few times before this, failing to hit anything.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hypergrain warheads have it so the center tile is a single ready for harvest rice plant and it linearly scales to like 15 tiles where the outer one is 10% grown. However there's a 22% chance any random tile will instead be corn.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
when it goes off it still does normal explosion damage first, then deploys the grains

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

when it goes off it still does normal explosion damage first, then deploys the grains

Got to clear the area for planting yeah.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I was never confused by Antigrain. Never. This brain? A steel trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

They should go through all your hard drives in order to delete any pictures or references to grain, and uninstall any farming games.