Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I theoretically have a CLEAR account thanks to my sister signing me up but I need to do the final paperwork. Apparently the big thing with CLEAR is for access to other types of screened access things like events.

St. Louis had a CLEAR/TSA Pre-check. Unfortunately PDX does not tho I think I can still go thru TSA pre-check.

Haters vacate I'm being an airborne drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Freaquency posted:

No pineapples, no onions, no pork chops… your palate is all hosed up

Pineapple onion porkchop sounds like a tropical delight

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Haters vacate I'm being an airborne drunk.

Should've taken a stab at Boggs' record only with High Noons :v:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Pressure cooker/One-pot is a godsend for making Indian recipes.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
If you’re planning on flying out of SeaTac, get Clear + PreCheck because I’ve never seen an airport be as bad at pure Pre-Check as that one.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Pineapple is disgusting

What's it like knowing you're cursed?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Yikes

https://twitter.com/KCAlfredPhoto/status/1749575116881838519

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Pineapple, pepperoni, pepperoncinis, pepper pizza

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shrimpy posted:

If you’re planning on flying out of SeaTac, get Clear + PreCheck because I’ve never seen an airport be as bad at pure Pre-Check as that one.

I fly out of there all the time so if the combo gets me through faster then I'm all for it :)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shrimpy posted:

That's what I was afraid of: Clear not being Pre-Check so you would need both to get the best pre-flight screening experience.

I guess I could get Global Entry but I'm a little :tinfoil: in terms of how much more info I want given to the government.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I…..have a drivers license

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That's what I was afraid of: Clear not being Pre-Check so you would need both to get the best pre-flight screening experience.

I guess I could get Global Entry but I'm a little :tinfoil: in terms of how much more info I want given to the government.

I have Clear as well and it was fine for a while because a lot fewer people had it, but now at DEN there’s like a 50/50 chance that the Clear+Precheck line will be longer than the vanilla Precheck.

Global Entry doesn’t ask for any info the government doesn’t already have. I’d be more concerned about a private company having my biometric data personally (but also the horse has already left the barn on all of this anyway so lol, lmao)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

seiferguy posted:

Wife and I decided to go bougie and got ourselves the Amex Platinum card. Free access to lounges in most airports, $240 credit for Disney+, Walmart+ subscription, plus several other things. Basically I'll use it for all restaurants and hotels for when I travel for work.

One thing is a CLEAR subscription. I already have Precheck but maybe I can use both? :shrug:

Platinum is so nice. Be sure to also enroll in Priority Pass with it in case the airport you are at doesn't have a Centurion/Amex lounge. Also, call them and list a preferred airline (whichever you fly the most) because you also get $250 for airline fees (seats, bags, etc.)

Also, be sure to check the site like once a month and just click on all the offers to add them to your card, because sometimes they are really basic things that you would spend anyways.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't have pre-check or anything. When I flew through Boston from Scotland in 2022 and approached the customs agent, he addressed me and my now-wife by name before we said our names or handed over our passports. That ship has sailed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a sexual elk posted:

Is a it a Real ID™️©️®️?

Has the TSA actually set in stone when you can't use old driver's licenses anymore?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

It’s real enough

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

This little lady got a pretty clean bill of health aside from having worms. She's dewormed, vaxed, and scheduled to have her spay in March once her initial vaccines are done. She's the easiest cat to get in a carrier but yowled the whole way to and from the vet since she does not like cars apparently.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a sexual elk posted:

It’s real enough

Man, you missed a perfect opportunity here…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

looks like our cat

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Weird a lot of places wouldn’t accept my TWIC ID even tho its a TSA thing

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I got an enhanced ID less for flying and more for going to Canada on day trips or long weekends. This does remind me I need to renew my passport though.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

this all reminds me that since i found my birth certificate i should get going on my passport/enhanced license/whatever since the lack of said certificate was the major hangup

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Freaquency posted:

No pineapples, no onions, no pork chops… your palate is all hosed up

All those are garbo foods :colbert:

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

I said it earlier in the thread, but unless you're seriously hard up for money, you should get Global Entry instead of TSA Pre.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Shrimpy posted:

It freaking sucks the lines are forever. Pre-check is barely an advantage at all!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tried CBD gummies tonight to help me sleep. It was aight but I still couldn’t fall asleep.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Late for Movies in the Theater Chat, but I saw the original Speed on opening weekend with a 6'6" 260 pound Marine friend of mine who was back on his first leave just after boot camp, so had that rigid bearing and short haircut and looked military even without a uniform on.

When the bus hits the baby stroller he burst out laughing extremely loudly, then abruptly stopped with a 'wtf' kind of noise when it was revealed it was only full of cans. The entire theater looked at us like we were monsters. I still crack up thinking about that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It freaking sucks the lines are forever. Pre-check is barely an advantage at all!

I’ve never had a problem with precheck. Ohare is pretty good that even in the busy days it takes me 10 minutes or less from the moment I get in the security line to the moment I’m passed the metal detectors.

They are getting close to the point that they need to add more precheck lines, although I don’t know where they would go.

I have an interview in a couple weeks for global entry. We’ll see how that goes.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If there wasn't already enough evidence there were 2 too many Dakotas, this is proof they should at least lose 3/4ths of the senate representation. loving Heinz? What is that, Mayo with some black pepper in it?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sleep chat

Disclaimer: talk to your pcp for insomnia and try to get a referral to a sleep certified doctor if it’s bad enough.

My first supervising physician was sleep medicine certified and I saw all of his patients after they established with him. I’ve treated a LOT of insomnia.

Insomnia is very common in men and women as they approach their late thirties/early forties. For men; this is generally an age of behavioral transition. This means that a lot of the things they have always done are starting to be more than they can compensate for. This isn’t just in sleep, as I’m sure all of us understand. We simply become much more sensitive to the things that can keep us awake.

BASICS

Generally speaking, the most important things for good sleep quality are

1. Minimize stimulants after 3 pm - we can’t consume caffeine (or alcohol but more on that later) like we could when we were younger. It just doesn’t clear like it used to. Also the effects of caffeine become less noticeable as we age, which leads to us needing more to get the same effect.

2. No screens 30-60 minutes prior to lying down for sleep. Light is very stimulating for the brain. It tells us to get up and go farm or whatever. We don’t want to lie down and wait to get to sleep. You should be ready to fall asleep when you lie down. Average time for sleep initiation is 4-6 minutes. If you’re lying in bed for 45 minutes, you were probably looking at your phone as you walked into the bedroom.

3. Exercise. Your body needs a reason to go to sleep.

4. Regular schedule/routine. Go to bed every night at the same time, wake up every day at the same time. People will bitch that they can’t sleep in anymore as they get older, but this is a good thing!

5. Cool, dark room. A cool dark room!

6. Minimize napping - daytime hypersomnia is often a symptom of sleep problems. Try to minimize napping if at all possible.

ANXIETY

do you wake up at 2-3am every single morning (on nights you haven’t drank) completely wide awake? Or do you lie in bed “unable to turn your brain off?” This is anxiety Every. Single. Time. You are either thinking of something that happened or something you’re going to have to do. Without going down a psych rabbit hole, there are a few easy ways to address this.

1. Journal before bed. This will help you organize your thoughts and plan your day. Journaling has been shown to help sleep quality and get people into deeper, more restorative sleep.

2. Pet a dog/cat. It releases serotonin which can help with sleep initiation.

3. Look at a fire. I’m serious. We spent two million years of evolution ending the day by looking at a fire. It calms us. I have no proof of this but I’ve recommended this several times and patients have said it works. Also if you want the best comedown from shrooms in your life, watch a fire and listen to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRTHbtlLFc

SUPPLEMENTS

As always talk to your pcp about starting supplements, because there are some things like St. John’s wort that can literally kill you if taken with other medications.

Melatonin: this is very mild stuff and comes in a million formulations. It’s over the counter. In my experience this isn’t very effective for people that aren’t elderly. It’s most useful for stabilizing sleep/wake cycle in patients in long term care settings. But go hog wild. Some people say this gives them vivid dreams, but I never really buy that. People that receive sleep treatment and report crazy dreams are usually just dreaming for the first time in god knows how long. You can’t overdose on this or anything. I don’t recommend it.

Unison: just melatonin and some other bullshit. It’s not very efficacious. I dont recommend it.

Gummies: I don’t have any clinical experience with this. Generally indica is considered more sedating. Indica = in da sheets, sativa = stimulating. Just know that THC is gabenergic, meaning it increases GABA.

GABA is the inhibitory neurotransmitter for glutamate, which is excitatory. As my GABA level increases from meds/alcohol whatever, my body increases glutamate because it doesn’t like that imbalance. As my GABA lvls return to normal, depending on how big a dose or how long I’ve been doing it, my glutamate lvls will lag behind.

In the short term, if something is wearing off at 3 in the morning, this will wake me up. Ever had a big night drinking and wake up at 2-3 in the morning, wide awake, sweating, heart beating? That’s elevated glutamate levels.

This is the same mechanism of action that causes alcohol withdrawl seizures. So ymmv. THC has been proven time and time again not to be addictive so go hog wild if you don’t have a history of psychosis. Be very careful where you get it from as there is very little quality control. Don’t buy drugs from the gas station.

NARCOTICS

I’m not going to go into them here because I don’t want anyone to think I’m giving out narcotic advice unsolicited. Generally, drugs like ambien or lunesta are very similar to benzos. For example 10 mg of ambien is essentially 1 mg of Xanax. You do not want to start taking these if you don’t have to. They should always be last line. These should not be prescribed for sleep or long term out of a PCP office. TCAs also go here. No goon is willing to give up smoked meats and cheeses.

DRUGS

Just a couple mild ones that are fine to get from your pcp if they think it’s appropriate.

Trazodone - very mild. Serotonergic. This will not make you tired. This med only helps with initiation. You have to take this and lie down and be ready for sleep. No one ever tells patients this (or knows) and they end up taking like 200 mg at 7 pm and not go to sleep at 10.

Gabapentin - Put it in the drinking water. Non habit forming. Easy up easy down. Effective at low doses. Lasts six hours. Good for anxiety, restlessness, people that toss and turn in their sleep. Does not interact with any other medication. No real contraindication unless you’re in kidney failure, and even then nephrology is getting overruled (they always do). Generic so it’s cheap as poo poo. If gabapentin was invented today it’d cost 1000 dollars a pill, just like aspirin. Occasionally someone will say it makes their feet swell.

DO NOT DO THIS

Drink Benadryl/Easy sleep/nyquil - addictive as poo poo. You don’t want to get addicted to these. Plus, antihistamine withdrawl can give you Parkinsonisms short to medium term.

Drink alcohol - if you’re drinking to go to sleep, we have a problem. If you’re waking up and have to drink to go to sleep, please DM me.

Smoke cigarettes - Jesus goddamn Christ

Not wear your CPAP - WEAR YOUR GODDAMN CPAP

do that weird thing where you only sleep 90 minutes at a time 4 times a day. We evolved to wake up with the sun, sleep with the moon. This is bullshit.

So yeah; that’s my posting between workout sets effort post. Sleep well goons! DM me with any questions.

And as always, ask your PCP before starting a medication/treatment regimen.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Whoa. So that explains why it helps to let the dog on the bed to cuddle up next to me. I thought it was like a weighted blanket thing because he does lay on me a bit.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRt3g4Ps7IY

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I use cat petting and CBN to get to sleep. I average around 6.5-7 hours a night. I'm almost 30 though so I don't know if this continues.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

. I'm almost 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVUPCJwQwA

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

There's a real chance I'm burying a sibling this year buddy, I already know

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My biggest sleepy time enemy is the likely made-up Revenge Bedtime Procrastination where I just don’t have time to do anything that I’m used to doing or getting any sort of alone time because I’m drowning in obligations.

I’m not staying up super late but I just tend to steal a handful of hours every now and again after my family goes to sleep to play video games or watch a movie or something.

I likely need to stop but it’s hard not having any mental space.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

There's a real chance I'm burying a sibling this year buddy, I already know

ahh dude im sorry. wasn't trying to be insensitive, just trying to make a turning 30 joke.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'll turn 50 this year, so try and be even more sensitive please. Thanks

On the plus side I can sleep 8 hours at any time of day or night and my schedule changes constantly depending on how I feel like living in any particular 36 hour period.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

kiimo posted:

I remember one of the first times I went back to KC after living in LA for a couple years. I go in a bar and order a Manhattan and some chode looks at it and says "huh. There's FRUIT in your drink!"

Would have paid money to have seen someone say this to my Grandpa who’s drink of choice was a Manhattan lol

Coco13 posted:

The 7oz bottle of High Life with your Bloody means your breakfast is going to be greasy and amazing.

Love when you go to a restaurant and their sidecars are the stubby Rhinelander bottles, that’s gonna be a good breakfast

a sexual elk posted:

Same. BUT I have an appointment this weekend for my Passport!