Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

Overpaying for relievers is the new market inefficiency I guess

One year 10.5 is fine for a guy who's at worst a one year bust and could be a trade chip at the deadline

The only problem with that is that now they have an unapologetic POS on their roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They have a lot of other needs besides relievers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paying an old reliever like Chapman is a classic "we tried" kind of bad team move. He's a recognizable name, he's not actually expensive, they can flip him later if need be, it doesn't take an expensive baseball ops department to decide on him, and it's not a multi-year commitment. It lets an owner like Nutting pretend he's sorta kinda investing in the roster.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 23, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

One year 10.5 is fine for a guy who's at worst a one year bust and could be a trade chip at the deadline

The only problem with that is that now they have an unapologetic POS on their roster

Now imagine this situation I have for you

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Was going through some stuff this afternoon and found my youth glove: Spalding Frank Viola model.

It was the only glove for lefties at the Pic-N-Save, so that's what my parents bought.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Was going through some stuff this afternoon and found my youth glove: Spalding Frank Viola model.

It was the only glove for lefties at the Pic-N-Save, so that's what my parents bought.

:lol:ing at this avatar in light of the recent convo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So out of curiosity, is there anything to the Hader being an awful human being besides the tweets? Yeah, those were horrible comments to make (regardless of age imo - I wasn't saying that stuff when I was 16 or 17) and if you want to judge him purely on that I totally understand, but is there anything recent?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only Hader drama I'm aware of is the really lovely tweets he made (which he did apologize for, I'm not saying this makes it all okay but it is at least better than some other players for whatever that is worth to you) and that last year he essentially refused to give the Padres more than three outs per game, something Bob Melvin was kind of passive aggressive about a couple times where he clearly would have liked to use Hader for a 4+ out save. You could argue this was more about Hader protecting himself as he was set to enter FA - and the Padres didn't end up making the postseason so who knows if he'd kept this policy up into October games - but imo it was still kind of a bad look, particularly down the stretch when the Padres were surging to the point they were actually entertaining a shot at the WC and Hader apparently still wouldn't budge an inch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

They have a lot of other needs besides relievers

The Pirates have a plan for 2024 and it is absolutely to be The Guys With All The Bullpen Arms At The Deadline.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Presumably if you’re negotiating seriously with Hader you know the usage patterns he’s going to agree to

So you’re either signing him knowing he’s never going to be more than a last-three-outs guy, or he’s told you he’s willing to be more flexible now that he’s got the bag

I have to assume it’s the latter

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

bravesword posted:

Presumably if you’re negotiating seriously with Hader you know the usage patterns he’s going to agree to

So you’re either signing him knowing he’s never going to be more than a last-three-outs guy, or he’s told you he’s willing to be more flexible now that he’s got the bag

This is probably something that gets written into his contract, or at least I'd be doing that if I was a GM.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The HOF results come out tonight. It looks like as of now that Wagner falls just short again, but that Mauer, Beltre, and Helton get in. This is based on public ballots.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yankees are updating the road uniform for the first time in 50 years

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shyduck posted:

Wow, they're taking the away uniform and making it even blander? I'm impressed.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bravesword posted:

I disagree 100% - they paid him like a single inning closer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lighter colors on the lettering ? Is that it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

Lighter colors on the lettering ? Is that it

No trim on the letters and no stripes on the sleeves. It's more like what they used to look like back in the flannel era.

I really can't wait for the Yankees City Connects, they're either going to be absolutely insane or insanely boring.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

The HOF results come out tonight. It looks like as of now that Wagner falls just short again, but that Mauer, Beltre, and Helton get in. This is based on public ballots.

Helton and Mauer are both gonna be super close. I'd hedge that Helton won't get in but Mauer will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

shyduck posted:

i like it

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Put names on the jerseys you cowards :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

fuc no

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

How can they not put names on the away jerseys at least? I can piss and moan about home jerseys not having them forever, but the away ones it should be a requirement.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Anyone want a free ticket to the Tigers @ Mets game on April 1st?
Bought two by accident and haven't found a way to cancel one of them, so might as well go to someone who will use it.
Section 313 which I think is decent?

Pros: Free

Cons: It's the Mets and Tigers
You'll be sitting next to me.

One restriction - if you take it you can't sell it on, you have to give it away.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
why would I care about the names of players on a fourth place team?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Explosionface posted:

How can they not put names on the away jerseys at least? I can piss and moan about home jerseys not having them forever, but the away ones it should be a requirement.

no names on the jerseys is legitimately the best thing the yankees do.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

mcmagic posted:

Wrong. The best thing they do is not win.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The team I root for, Whoever's Playing The Yankees Today, is coming off its best season since I was a kid. This is cool and good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

For me it's whenever they get bounced from the post season by our hometown Houston Astros

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Yankees and Astros are proof that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is horseshit for idiot babies

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yep no names are awesome. anyway don't look at the advertising patch!!!!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Poque and I were having lunch in Cleveland before game 2 in 2016 when Ryne Sandberg came in with his family and sat at the table next to ours. I happened to be wearing my Sandberg shirsey at the time. A few minutes later, the waitress came up to me and was like "those gentlemen at the table over there would like to buy your meal" as she pointed to some random table behind us. Another table was trying to pay for Ryno's food, but we were in Cleveland, so the waitress isn't gonna know who Ryne Sandberg is. She went up to the person who was wearing the Sandberg shirsey instead. I pointed her to the real Ryno.

i love the idea of a retired baseball player who routinely goes out just on normal days in merch with their name on it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Eric the Mauve posted:

The team I root for, Whoever's Playing The Yankees Today, is coming off its best season since I was a kid. This is cool and good.

:hmmyes:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I've been so focused on how angry I'll get if Billy Wagner doesn't get in the Hall that I forgot how angry I will be if Sheffield doesn't get in. Vote for me for President I will declare the BBWAA a terrorist organization, make Bobby Bonilla Day a national holiday, and names on the back of away jerseys will be codified into law

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sheffield is definitely not getting in, he'd have to buck the trend of guys getting less support on anonymous ballots than on the tracker. Only the darlings of morons like Jack Morris get the reverse.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Morris was committee, are committee votes even known before announcement? I agree though, only morons like Jack Morris.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Morris got in on committee but he also would get higher support on non-revealed ballots than on revealed ones back when he was on the writers ballot.

Here's his final year, 2014:

Morris got 58.6% on known ballots, and 64.7% on unknown ballots.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 23, 2024

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the BBWAA should be tried at The Hague

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

Yep no names are awesome. anyway don't look at the advertising patch!!!!

no one is defending that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Morris was committee, are committee votes even known before announcement? I agree though, only morons like Jack Morris.
No they are not allowed to be public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

shyduck posted:

Looks like Boston's 2010ish road unis.

Sydin posted:

The only Hader drama I'm aware of is the really lovely tweets he made (which he did apologize for, I'm not saying this makes it all okay but it is at least better than some other players for whatever that is worth to you) and that last year he essentially refused to give the Padres more than three outs per game, something Bob Melvin was kind of passive aggressive about a couple times where he clearly would have liked to use Hader for a 4+ out save. You could argue this was more about Hader protecting himself as he was set to enter FA - and the Padres didn't end up making the postseason so who knows if he'd kept this policy up into October games - but imo it was still kind of a bad look, particularly down the stretch when the Padres were surging to the point they were actually entertaining a shot at the WC and Hader apparently still wouldn't budge an inch.

And when asked why he wasn't available, he said "Are we in the playoff race?". The Padres ended up missing the playoffs by two games.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 23, 2024