Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Danhenge posted:

I preordered Exordia like a year ago and my plan is to use my sick leave tomorrow for any time not taken up by unskippable meetings. I've come down with an incurable case of being a nerd.

Oop. It was just delivered to my app. Now should i start or finish this shadow and sea book first?

Also was happy to see Blacktongue thief has a sequel, sad to see it's not out yet. Book was much lighter than i expected after between two fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sibling of TB posted:

Also was happy to see Blacktongue thief has a sequel, sad to see it's not out yet. Book was much lighter than i expected after between two fires.

prequel, it's about young Galva.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

Same thing for Clavell. It's been ages since I read Shogun (I read everything he wrote when I was in college, even Noble House and Whirlwind) but to my memory he definitely admires East Asian cultures.

That's a heck of a take considering Clavell was captured and severely mistreated by the Japanese in World War II. His first novel, King Rat, was written as catharsis to get over PTSD so serious that for years he had to constantly carry a snack in his pocket or he'd start desperately rooting in dustbins for food at the slightest hunger pang. It was only after that when he began researching the local culture in detail to find out why they did it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
35% done with Exordia and it's safe to say that the General has dropped another banger

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Read the preview for Exordia and got a real kick out of the bit where the stuff that makes humans unique is defined as

- good long distance runners
- really inbred, like wow

and that’s pretty much it. Too much exposure to weird and irritating ‘humanity gently caress yeah’ online nonsense on my part made this like a soothing balm.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I remember discovering the Ninja through the Mr T Saturday morning cartoon. Yes.

Good question. Possibly Shogun if that counts. Ninja figure prominently and there was the early 80s miniseries. Don't think there's any explicit magic tho. Historical fiction.

It's a very readable brick but I probably wouldn't read the rest of his "asian saga" series, about noble Anglo Saxons making a poo poo load of money in Hong Kong from the 1840s to the 1980s.

He was a prisoner of war, held by the Japanese and has some (to the modern reader) Interesting takes, one of the books King Rat is clearly semi auto biographical as it's set in the horrifying changi pow camp.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Starfish was pretty good, how's the rest of the trilogy? Not as good as Blindsight, obviously, but good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Starfish was pretty good, how's the rest of the trilogy? Not as good as Blindsight, obviously, but good.

I wouldn't keep going. They get really depressing and rapey.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I liked them, but they're a good bit less cheery than the books he wrote when rare flesh-eating bacteria tried to devour his legs.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

I wouldn't keep going. They get really depressing and rapey.

Yeah, pretty much. There's some interesting bits in each one, but Starfish is the only one of the three I get the urge to revisit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hello thread. My first book in four years is out today. It is called EXORDIA.

quote:

This is a story about Anna meeting an alien in Central Park. No one else can tell Ssrin's an alien, but Anna can. Anna can't make the rent, so Anna asks the alien to be her roommate.

For a few weeks, Anna is happy. She can afford good weed to smoke while Ssrin explains how the universe was created, why morality is real, and where she'll go when she die. Ssrin's entire species is objectively, measurably damned to hell. Ssrin's on Earth looking for a way to change that. On the run from her own people, who want to drat all creation in revenge.

This is why Anna is happy, because she knows she's going to hell too. For what she did. She was seven years old when the Iraqi genocidaire put the pistol in her hand and offered her a bargain: for each member of her own family she shot in the head, the Iraqis would spare part of her village from extermination. What could Anna do? She saved them all.

So it's good that she's going to hell. She deserves it.

Then the bombs start to fall.

For Algorithmic Reasons, it's important for newly published novels to get to about 50 reviews on Amazon so the machine starts to advertise them to new readers. For that reason I'm going to post the Amazon link, but grab the book however's best for you. It's just the review that matters, not how you buy it.

Here are some blurbs/reviews from other authors the thread likes.

quote:

"Magnificent. . . . A science fiction action juggernaut."―Tamsyn Muir, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Locked Tomb series

"Seth! Jesus f***ing christ, Seth, you can't loving keep doing this to me, I have a kid who's going to get up at 7 o'clock tomorrow morning no matter how late I stayed up reading, again, it's been days, I can see time."―Max Gladstone, co-author of the New York Times Bestselling This is How You Lose the Time War

"Exordia is an avalanche: an inevitable, overwhelming, pell-mell landscape-scale transformation of a book. Dickinson uses science fiction as an ethical scalpel, and the results are breathtaking: viciously funny, vivid to the point of horror, and entirely profound."―Arkady Martine, Hugo Award-winning author of A Memory Called Empire

"Violent, vivid, vicious―this is an innovative military, sci-fi thriller that is equal parts action and introspection. It’s conceptually profound and touches upon many ethical and metaphysical subjects. . . . Authentic and thought-provoking."―Library Journal

"Exordia is a comprehensive taxonomy of violence at every level, from the subcellular to the intergalactic, as well as every possible scrap of pain, pleasure, and connection that might result from it. It's an apocalyptic chanson de geste, with a dizzyingly fractured Round Table who experience damnation not just spiritually but literally, formally, communally and visibly, as well as a comprehensive study of natural history, moral lessons, spiritual and cultural translation, and the hierarchy of all possible passions. There's a deeply original spiritual order in this universe that sharpens the significance of every moment, and I found myself wrung out and exhilarated as I came unwillingly to the end of it."―Daniel M. Lavery, author of The Merry Spinster

"Beautiful, introspective, and unbelievably tense. It feels like being in a hospital waiting room in the best and worse sense, the suspended moment right before you find out what's going on."―Cassandra Khaw, USA Today bestselling author of Nothing But Blackened Teeth

"Conceptually mindblowing. Viscerally horrific. Hofstadter meets Lovecraft during a really bad acid trip, but better written.”―Peter Watts, Hugo Award winner

If you pick it up I hope you enjoy it. There is some goon poo poo in there I am sure you will spot.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

General Battuta, I hope your new book makes you filthy rich. I'm gonna pick it up real soon.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

General Battuta, I hope your new book makes you filthy rich. I'm gonna pick it up real soon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't remember if I've asked you this before, but with those author blurbs, do they actually read the whole thing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hope your royalties per copy are high and reviews continue to remain positive, insofar that "Jesus Christ Seth what the gently caress are you doing to me!" is positive lol

I assume the algo can work amazon.ca reviews into the overall metric? the dot com hates my geographic location when it comes to kindle sales

mewse
May 2, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Congrats, looking forward to reading it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll do an Amazon review when I'm done, I promise!

But goddamn, you just fall into Anna's head like a bad idea into an open wound. I've never read anything quite like this.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

mllaneza posted:

But goddamn, you just fall into Anna's head like a bad idea into an open wound. I've never read anything quite like this.

If my copy wasn't already in the mail this alone would have gotten me to buy it.

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008

General Battuta posted:

GB - I noticed that Amazon UK doesn't like me searching for Exordia. It auto-corrects to Exodia and just gives Yu-Gi-Oh crap, you're not even on the page. Hope somebody gets fired for this blunder.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

For Algorithmic Reasons, it's important for newly published novels to get to about 50 reviews on Amazon so the machine starts to advertise them to new readers. For that reason I'm going to post the Amazon link, but grab the book however's best for you. It's just the review that matters, not how you buy it.

If you pick it up I hope you enjoy it. There is some goon poo poo in there I am sure you will spot.

With everyone being damned from the start, how can we be sure you are not a pseudonym for Bakker?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

General Battuta posted:

The first quarter or so has been fantastic. Hard to put down.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

General Battuta posted:

lol that Daniel Lavery blurb is such a Daniel Lavery blurb. Well done General!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah I don't think I've slammed the buy button so fast. That synopsis is entirely my jam.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

OptionalPirate posted:

GB - I noticed that Amazon UK doesn't like me searching for Exordia. It auto-corrects to Exodia and just gives Yu-Gi-Oh crap, you're not even on the page. Hope somebody gets fired for this blunder.

Amazon US did the same for me, FYI.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cardiac posted:

With everyone being damned from the start, how can we be sure you are not a pseudonym for Bakker?

I read the entire blurb and nobody was cuckolded so it's probably safe

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Battuta, have you read Ishmael? I showed the blurb to my wife and she said it reminded her of that book.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Reading The March North and I think Blossom just made chlorine trifluoride? She asked for a bunch of salt and fluorite, did some spooky magic poo poo, and produced something that's hypergolic with stone, sand, water, and enemy wizards, so...

I'm really liking this premise of "20th century knowledge of chemistry and physics coupled with advanced magic".

Runcible Cat posted:

I like Jessica Amanda Salmonson's Tomoe Gozen series, with the obvious caveat of it not being written by a Japanese person.
This just triggered a childhood memory -- we had that on the shelves growing up (along with Shogun and The Paladin) and I thought it looked interesting but never got around to reading it. Had no idea it was a whole series.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's hosed up but handled masterfully. I never thought I could care about a book so much.
I just finished a reread of Cyteen (in tandem with a friend who had never read any Cherryh before, and loved it) and it's so good. And so hosed up! But so good.

sebmojo posted:

It's good, it's fine, it's more Morgaine. Worth a read for sure.
Cool, thanks. It's been more than a decade (wtf?) since I read either Morgaine or Chanur in their entirety, so both are on the slate for this year.

Zore posted:

Yeah I don't think I've slammed the buy button so fast. That synopsis is entirely my jam.
I hadn't read the synopsis, but I had read the(?prototype) short story "Anna Saves Them All".

I actually preordered Exordia, and got the ARC, and haven't gotten around to reading it because work is a tire fire lately and I want light escapist stuff instead. And then I ended up rereading Cyteen, so who the gently caress knows what's going on in my brain? Not me, that's for sure.

Anyways, Battuta, I hope Exordia is a success and I look forward to reading it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

So i finished "The traitor Baru Cormorant"
And i had a lot of words written about how the concept of "power" , or the understanding of power as shown through Baru's eyes is extremely flawed.
She can certainly wield it, but she does not understand all the facets of what power really is, and how that neatly ties in with Tain Hu, and the power she wields at the end from an act that Baru could not, would not be able to do herself.
But then i realized that all those words would basically be "Three concepts of power: Foucault, Bourdieu, and Habermas", so go read that.

I really enjoyed this book; Baru the character is going to stay with me for a awhile

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Reading The March North and I think Blossom just made chlorine trifluoride? She asked for a bunch of salt and fluorite, did some spooky magic poo poo, and produced something that's hypergolic with stone, sand, water, and enemy wizards, so...

It’s never confirmed explicitly but yeah, that was my assumption as well.

“Mostly the water in the air” never fails to make me laugh when I reread TMN.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think I vaguely remember trying to read that ninja book back in the day. Had some weird poo poo in it. Iirc the bad guy was a heroin dealing/smoking? pedophile ninja who raped the protagonist with some kind of ninja art, mind controlled some other girl with ninja sex and I vaguely recall something about some secret technique that only true ninja could use to hit people to it make seen like they got hit by a car.

It just kept getting weirder and weirder, and not in a good way.

I don't recall finishing it but I remember being mad it sucked cause there was actually very little ninja style movie fights with all the neat weapons and lasers that only true ninja use, there was just some bit about a magic ninja necklace.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a bout a third of the way into it and they just introduced a black cop side character who speaks....in dialect and he drops a hard 'r' right away so for now I'm reading They Thirst.

quote:

Vegas' face looked pained. "Sheeit!. Sure, I could make a bundle, takin' my part of the grease each month. Only trouble is, you sawed-off sonovabitch, those fuckers don't allow no black man in on the big time scam, you dig?
"Well, Vegas I sure as hell don't kwon whether Finnigan would want you either."
"You know he's an okay motherfucker when it comes to skin, Jack. Wassamatter, don't you wanna work with me?"
Croaker laughed. "I sure as hell would love it but right now the old man ain't too pleased with me".
"poo poo! That ain't no big thing. You know how he is. Next time you land a big one an' the mayor hands him another bronze pin, he'll be back kissing' yo' white rear end."
Croaker grinned. "Maybe so. Maybe so."
"Ain't know two ways about it, Jack.
Vegas gave him a wide grin. "I dig, I dig." He got up, towering over Croaker. "You lay it on him an' we'll see what pops up. Meanwhile, this is one n****r that's got to hit the streets again. Sallyson's given us all quotas to fill, dig?" Sheeit!" He turned an waved. "Later."

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Kalman posted:

It’s never confirmed explicitly but yeah, that was my assumption as well.
It was confirmed explicitly in the nuked google group that it was one of the substances from Things I Will Not Work With, but I can't recall if it was FOOF or CF4

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Is the bit about how Anna is surprised the that the Alien translator didn't call it destiny a crack about your old gig?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mllaneza posted:

I'll do an Amazon review when I'm done, I promise!

I thought I was nearing the climax and apparently I am

One fifth of the way into the text?

Unless there is a significant appendix my review may not be posted today

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I dearly need someone to do fanart of Ssrin so I can picture what they actually look like, preferably with one head stuck in a bottle of shampoo. I very rarely laugh at books, but that loving got me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just started reading Lavie Tidhar's The Circumference of the World and was finding it brilliant and compelling, but sorry Lavie, outta the way! I accidentally read the first few pages of Exordia and now I can't stop

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Danhenge posted:

Is the bit about how Anna is surprised the that the Alien translator didn't call it destiny a crack about your old gig?

No.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kestral posted:

I dearly need someone to do fanart of Ssrin so I can picture what they actually look like, preferably with one head stuck in a bottle of shampoo. I very rarely laugh at books, but that loving got me.

They actually commissioned some Julie Dillon art which I don't mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
hot dog, that rules