Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love Tom so much. You take one look at this man and his dialogue and you know he's enunciating every line like he's munching on a soliloquy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Aw, I had a Zambian 48k as a kid, fond memories of playing Practical Football on it when I had a hernia repaired as a little kid.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 10-11, 2005)

And that's the end of The Child! Next up, things are going to change Amy and Shelley travel to Bulgaria and become nuns!

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm beginning to understand why my friend's answer to my "hey, Bad Machinery is great! I want to catch up, so can I get a link to the point where Scary-Go-Round hits its stride?" was to send me the link to the first Bad Machinery strip.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah my experience reading through scary go round was that absent a few storylines near the end, basically all of which were proto-bad-machinery storylines focused on the previous teen cast, scary go round is functionally unreadable, it's bizarre pacing had events slipping through my mind within two or three strips of when they happened.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

it feels like Allison just making comics about whatever idea he has that week, then throwing them away when he gets bored.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think when Esther and The Boy become protagonists in their own right is one of the key points of SGR taking form. But we’re not there yet.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
SGR is very much a product of a time when you could hope to develop a fanbase that would support you drawing as a career so long as you updated three times a week without fail. Allison running with an idea for a few weeks and then hopping to a spy movie parody with Falon and vice versa is accurate.

I'm still pretty fond of SGR, there is a light continuity and Shelly and Amy are a huge improvement as protagonists. Compared to other long running strips SGR was in the top half of the quality curve.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Doomykins posted:

SGR is very much a product of a time when you could hope to develop a fanbase that would support you drawing as a career so long as you updated three times a week without fail.

I'm not sure that time ever ended tbh. people love a consistent update schedule.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm not sure that time ever ended tbh. people love a consistent update schedule.

Jeph Jacques has been producing I Hate My Characters: The Webcomic for twenty plus years with the driving force being five comics a week and unceremoniously rotating out old cast members every couple years, so, yeah.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's quite a few 20+ year runners still in it. I won't go look at Sluggy Freelance on fear of being struck down like I just witnessed an elder god.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The Schlock Mercenary guy had a pretty strict work ethic. Though he finally gave up and ended it, feels like it happened last year but probably has been 5 years by now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, Howard wrapped it up a few years back and was planning on doing a new strip in the same universe. Then he got COVID real early on and it apparently hosed him up pretty bad so he hasn't done any drawing outside of book sketches since then.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Doomykins posted:

There's quite a few 20+ year runners still in it. I won't go look at Sluggy Freelance on fear of being struck down like I just witnessed an elder god.

They say that somewhere deep within the bowels of the Internet, User Friendly still lurks making "Micro$oft" and "Bill Gates is Borg" jokes, but I cannot gather up my courage to check

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's a big part of how most successful comics got successful but there's also a lot of not-bad comics out there that have been updating consistently for a decade or more to an audience of, afaict, fuckin nobody

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Steeple

John A posted:

One of those wallets has a real life Japanese mascot on it. I wonder who’s it is? I can’t remember the name of the mascot. Perhaps someone will help me out here. Things move in front of my eyes very quickly and I grab what I can get.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
It's this guy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Howard Beale posted:

They say that somewhere deep within the bowels of the Internet, User Friendly still lurks making "Micro$oft" and "Bill Gates is Borg" jokes, but I cannot gather up my courage to check

I think it went into reruns like fifteen years ago. I remember it had a sudden arc out of nowhere where the old guy had a cancer scare and the main character became a combat medic in Afghanistan and then boom, back into reruns.

Shelley Winters posted:

Hello reader and welcome to my "commentary"! I hope you enjoy my asides, telling you what went on behind the scenes. For example, many of the tales in this book omit incidences of my shutting my fingers in a door or stubbing my toe. Things like that are strictly for the connosieur, not the casual passer-by.

"Bulgaria" is the story of my visit to Bulgaria, on holiday, with my great friend Amy Chilton. Amy is the ideal person to go on holiday with as she has no scruples and only basic manners, so fun things start happening almost immediately.

As a house-mate Amy is deeply unde-sirable, untidy and foul-mouthed. Her visitors are the kind of people you wish would leave immediately, or who leave very quickly because they saw your purse on the mantlepiece and have had it away with £15 and change.

Because of my kind and deeply chari-table nature, I have taken Amy under my wing and tried to teach her the right way of living so that she can be a productive member of the human race.

Our trip to Bulgaria takes place toward the end of this experiment. Bulgaria was a good place for us to go because at the time Amy was a poor student. Bulgaria is a treasure trove of cheap items, you should visit! Communism is still fresh enough in the mind there that they wish to share plentiful food and drink for the price of a postage stamp. Well done communism!

Some pretty scary things happen in this tale so if you are a nervous sort, keep a stiff drink at hand!

The next few arcs have book introductions written "by" Shelley instead of directly by Allison.

Scary Go Round (March 14-16, 2005)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

drat, I was wrong about it being a fakeout

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drat, I was wrong about it being a fakeout

Mrs Clovis in jail is too rich a concept to pass up.

I bet she's thriving in there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Nice of Charlotte to remove the phone before throwing the selfie stick.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
WANG

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Numero6 posted:

Nice of Charlotte to remove the phone before throwing the selfie stick.

She's not that much of a dick, I guess.

Are selfie sticks still a thing? I feel like they had their era several years ago but maybe I'm just out of touch.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 17-21, 2005)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Steeple

John A posted:

The terrible truth comes to light. Oh dear oh dear. I hope we can resolve this in the few pages we have left, otherwise I’m going to be in a lot of trouble.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 22-24, 2005)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hell yes, a mystery is afoot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
RIP Andre Braugher

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 25-29, 2005)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

now THAT is a classic allison pose

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"Bad enough that if you don't save me, I may stop breathing and require burial" is another line that's lived in my head rent-free waiting for an excuse to be said.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
SGR is kinda like Achewood in that way where sometimes out of context lines just stick with you until your dying day.

Scary Go Round (March 30-April 1, 2005)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Ladies, we can’t leave this plot thread dangling. Oh, if ONLY they knew anyone who could resolve such a situation.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (April 4-6, 2005)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

‼️‼️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

sadly no such small fireball of mystery solving power exists, guess this one will have to remain unsolved!