Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Meanwhile I always clear my maps of sidequests while doing MSQ because I enjoy doing that. :v:

……..except for one specific zone in Heavensward. Because gently caress that.

(If you don’t find pleasure in doing a bunch of random bullshit for lore nuggets there’s no reason to do yellow quests, but I enjoy clearing them out as a way to pace MSQ progression.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

DelphiAegis posted:

Also this is not an mmo where you must/should do all quests in an area. There's a bit about quest markers in the OP I think, but msq has "flames" that surround the quest icon, "blue" quests with a small + unlock a new game feature/area, and quests without either of these, or "yellow" quests are entirely optional, and only fill in the lore for the area, and should be skipped unless you want to come back and clear your maps of the icons.

Relatedly: side quests don't really give much XP. Do them because you want excuses to murder some wildlife between running to MSQ NPCs for dialogue, or because you like a nice, clean map, or because you feel like reading some bonus sentences using the phrases "summat" or "full well" right now. In Heavensward and the other expansions you can additionally do them for money: the HQ gear you get from side quests there will auction for ~30k gil/item (the non-HQ gear you get in ARR will, in contrast, auction for bugger-all).

Don't do them because you think they are a good way to get some levels. They are not. They're less xp than doing FATEs, never mind actual xp activities like roulettes and dungeons.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Coming from GW2, the FATE stuff, at least in the starting areas, really feels underdevloped compared to the Dynamic Events there which can span the whole region and have multiple branching paths they take depending on whether the players in the area succeed at the various phases.

Those were my favorite thing about that game.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Also, unless you are on a preferred server with the Road to 80 buff you need to run roulettes daily to level 2-3 jobs at once. I've found (I'm an altaholic) that MSQ alone doesn't even cover 2 jobs once you approach the end of ARR. This game makes it very easy to level jobs up even without MSQ xp so only bother switching jobs around if you really want to.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Nitrousoxide posted:

Coming from GW2, the FATE stuff, at least in the starting areas, really feels underdevloped compared to the Dynamic Events there which can span the whole region and have multiple branching paths they take depending on whether the players in the area succeed at the various phases.

Those were my favorite thing about that game.

Later expansions will have FATE chains where one event can spawn another, related one featuring the same NPCs. Sometimes they culminate in a big bad boss FATE you can kill for special cosmetics, mounts, etc. The side-content areas of Eureka and Bozja also run entirely on killing mobs to spawn FATEs. In the case of Bozja you then kill the FATEs to spawn big raid bosses, then kill the raid bosses without getting hit by avoidable mechanics to get to do your own personal 1v1 boss duel with everyone else outside cheering you on (people outside get a buff if they watch when you win).

This said, while things get more involved there's nothing on the level of the big GW2 meta events.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A single yellow sidequest is roughly equivalent to a single fate of the same level. They're not going to get you everything, but they do add up.

I personally switch jobs anytime I surpass the story because that's the most effective use of the massive amount of experience you get. You do not have to switch jobs once you outlevel a zone, but it is most exp efficient to do so.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The sidequests exist because back in the day it took most of the sidequests+all of main story+some fate grinding on the side to actually get one job to 50.

As you move into Stormblood you pass the point where sidequests exist for your first job at cap, and into the point where they exist mainly to have neat little stories

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In some ways I miss fate grinding in Northern Thanalan. Remember when Dark Devices was glitched and spawned infinite adds that gave pretty good experience?

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

In some ways I miss fate grinding in Northern Thanalan. Remember when Dark Devices was glitched and spawned infinite adds that gave pretty good experience?

Stop killing the lambs!!!!!!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arist posted:

There is an EXP bonus for jobs below your highest leveled job, but even still switching so constantly just sounds kind of annoying. Personally, when I level jobs I try to get them to 50/60/70/you get it before swapping to another one. However, this is founded on the assumption that you have a "main" job you're trying to level first that's probably a much higher level than everything else. I've also had every job at max for a long time now so I'm not really an expert on this.
My personal recommendation to people is to level two jobs while they're doing MSQ, ideally one DPS and one Healer or Tank. Not only does this spread out your XP a little more and let you try out different jobs, it also means you avoid the dreaded DPS Queue when trying to do content.

Also, this is brought up in the OP, but to reiterate: Once you finish your Level 15 job quest, do the Novice Quests with the sprout symbol. The actual content they teach is really basic and the gear they give you is nice-looking, if a little plain, but the real reason to do it is the reward for finishing it on one job: The Brand-New Ring, an unconditional XP boost for all jobs under level 30.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 22, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

girl dick energy posted:

My personal recommendation to people is to level two jobs while they're doing MSQ, ideally one DPS and one Healer or Tank. Not only does this spread out your XP a little more and let you try out different jobs, it also means you avoid the dreaded DPS Queue when trying to do content.

Also, this is brought up in the OP, but to reiterate: Once you finish your Level 15 job quest, do the Novice Quests with the sprout symbol. The actual content they teach is really basic and the gear they give you is nice-looking, if a little plain, but the real reason to do it is the reward for finishing it on one job: The Brand-New Ring, an unconditional XP boost for all jobs under level 30.

On that note, also make sure you always have a food buff up while you're out and about killing things. 3% additional experience doesn't seem like much, but it is. Boiled eggs are only five gil. Grab a bunch and munch on one everytime your food buff drops.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Leveling a different role than your main will also give you insight as to why other roles/jobs do things.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

GloomMouse posted:

Leveling a different role than your main will also give you insight as to why other roles/jobs do things.

this was unironically really helpful for me as a SGE main as i brought up a WAR with no skip. Turns out if you really do hit your mits on trash packs and remember to use your aoe chain instead of single, there are literally zero problems 99% of the time. and you learn the big busters on boss fights and can quickly feel out if the healer can cover you, or if you need to run conservative. also, addendum: WAR is literally a cartoon job and it's so fun and powerful and you can basically do whatever the gently caress you want and ignore the party, but if you work with them, you all kill poo poo faster.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

As much I want to get through the ARR 80 (prev 100) as fast as possible, I’ve become a smelling the roses convert, especially talking to the NPCs between missions and (ARR post-game spoilers) watching Thancred creep on, and then disastrously strike out with, Minfalia’s mom

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You set the pace, never let anyone tell you to go faster or slower than you're comfortable! Especially if you enjoy the rate you're moving at!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Akett posted:

You set the pace, never let anyone tell you to go faster or slower than you're comfortable! Especially if you enjoy the rate you're moving at!

Extremely this.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Issue with that is inevitably you'll have someone else pulling extra mobs themselves and bringing them to you if you opt to take it a little slow. This could be stressful for a variety of reasons! Take it as an opportunity to get outside your comfort zone, could be you're more comfortable with a bigger pull than you expected!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Issue with that is inevitably you'll have someone else pulling extra mobs themselves and bringing them to you if you opt to take it a little slow. This could be stressful for a variety of reasons! Take it as an opportunity to get outside your comfort zone, could be you're more comfortable with a bigger pull than you expected!

I at least was advocating for going through the MSQ/leveling/other such things at your own pace. This isn't the usual dungeon pull speed discourse for once.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The interactions in the Waking Sands storeroom were a little interesting, but man the Rising Stones have some real gems talking to all the Scions and Co between missions. Highly recommend talking to everyone there between quests.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Relyssa posted:

I at least was advocating for going through the MSQ/leveling/other such things at your own pace. This isn't the usual dungeon pull speed discourse for once.

My apologies then, I had only just woken up and clearly was not paying attention!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Brain In A Jar posted:

watching Thancred creep on, and then disastrously strike out with, Minfalia’s mom

It also gets funny with him when Moenbryda shows up.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I'm currently at Yanxia and I effing love Stormblood story. They did such a great job fleshing out Garlean lore and making them interesting villains while still keeping them evil without shadow of a doubt.

I wonder if FF14 has its edgy "Garlean did nothing wrong" part of fandom, like Fallout and Legion followers or 40k people claiming that Imperium are good guys.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It does. They are awful.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There are two camps, at least. There are RPers with Garlean roots who don't actively dodge every theme in the game. The magitek, imperial background and badass fighting styles are appealing and entire countries are only mentioned in game as conquered territory when you want to expand your backgrounds past the preset options. It helps that the Stormblood character stories are good.

The apologists are funny for the increasingly painful knots they have to tie themselves into as each expansion compounds. Even if you're an unapologetic fantasy fascist you have to actively fight against all the writing. :laffo:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Garlean and Ascian apologists are the worst. Get some standards.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Relyssa posted:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Ascian apologists are extra funny because of that scene in Endwalker MSQ where Venat looks a bunch of them dead in the eye and tells them if they're not going to grow up on their own, she'll just loving make them.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Play this game however you want. After defeating the website/account creation and succeeding logging in you deserve it.

I started a few months into ShB with a spirit to go Conjurer job just to lvl enough to get Fisher going. Stopped after two days and only picked it up again with Endwalker launch.

So far since then I have the following to show;

I did mogtome events to get cool mount(s).

I went fishing by myself or on a boat with other people.

I did stuff I wanted, yet failed at stuff but still progressed to the thing I desired.

I even did stuff I wanted and was comitted to.

yet still this is my current MSQ;

Play however you want. Just play whenever you want.

Qwezz fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 23, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I got to level 15 in a class and started unlocking the other jobs. I actually kind of like the crafting jobs. It's a neat choice you have to either play the minigame to get a high quality version of the item (and bonus exp) or if you don't want to bother with that you can just slap the easy crafting mode that'll pump out however many you set it to all in one go (at average quality).

I was kind of concerned how it was going to handle the gathering jobs since you'd not have access to any of your normal combat abilities while trying to do those and constantly flipping between jobs to first clear out an area before you gather a node seemed miserable. But I see there's a stealth skill that more or less makes you invisible to the mobs of appropriately leveled areas.

I was also playing around with the outfits and I see I can't put a dress on my male Lalafell. Disappointed.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As a simplified heads up crafting jobs are standalone until about level 30, at which point you sign a pact with voidsent to level them all at the same time or you buy what you need off the marketboard because they make things that feed one another. It's actually not too hard to flip goods you make for small profits early on, FF14 has a pretty good MMO economy.

There's also these things in the city capitals called levemetes, or some sort of resource quests, that aren't too hard to do and really power level crafting/gatherer professions. I never did any because I savored filling out the crafting log and flipping my wares. I am also very dumb, stubborn, insane, etc. They unlock at a certain level, probably the same one(30ish?) when the grand companies are like hey hero you're pretty cool, want to join the army?

They've deliberately made a lot of dresses and suits unisex so I'm sure you can get a sweet bit of dress drip for your lil dude sooner or later.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 25, 2024

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You're only a few levels away from the subligar section of the game so don't worry about drip right now.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was also playing around with the outfits and I see I can't put a dress on my male Lalafell. Disappointed.
Doomykins mentioned it but there are dresses you'll be able to put on your guy. They're usually glamour items not meant to be used as actual gear; level 1 requirement that any job can equip and has no stats, but you'll be able to use a Glamour Prism to put the appearance on your actual gear. When I played a male Lala, I was running around with a 2B dress (available in level 80 content) on a lot of the time.

I believe you unlock the Glamour system in Vesper Bay but I'm not 100% sure about that. If you want to look at some of the glamour items, you can search through equipment on a Market Board but change the level requirement to 1.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the glamour system unlocks in vesper Bay at level 15, although you'll have trouble sourcing prisms anywhere other than the market board until you join a grand company.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the glamour system unlocks in vesper Bay at level 15, although you'll have trouble sourcing prisms anywhere other than the market board until you join a grand company.
It's actually from the same person you unlock the ability to use dyes from, which is very convenient. You do two quests back to back and you have unlocked FASHION, the true endgame of Final Fantasy XIV.

Doomykins posted:

As a simplified heads up crafting jobs are standalone until about level 30, at which point you sign a pact with voidsent to level them all at the same time or you buy what you need off the marketboard because they make things that feed one another. It's actually not too hard to flip goods you make for small profits early on, FF14 has a pretty good MMO economy.
This is true. Back when I was on Trial, what actually made me bounce off of it to the full game was the tradelock... because I wanted to level my crafter jobs without needing to run off to the rear end end of nowhere for a cheap-rear end item from one specific enemy every time I wanted to make something new.

Then I bought the game and that gave me the freedom to just buy them on the market board for like 7 gil because they're loving worthless outside of that one use case.

Edit:

Also worth noting that if you're crafting your own gear, you're expected to do it in HQ. Under the hood, because of how the stat scaling works, it's not that HQ gear is 15% better than it should be, it's that NQ gear is 15% worse, specifically when compared to dungeon drops from about the same level.

So if you don't feel like crafting up a job's gear in HQ, you're almost always better off using green items from dungeons than NQ gear.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 26, 2024

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I managed to get all crafters and gatherers* to level cap before I ended trial. Am I a wild man? Possibly.

(I didn't do Fisher and Culinarian out of overall dissatisfaction with fishing mechanics and culinarians requiring their ingredients the most, and even now that I'm at endgame they're still not unlocked at all at this point out of principle.)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Fishing is genuinely a fun job and i 90'd that poo poo just out of enjoyment, and now i'm using it to get my barista title.

Ocean fishing is a unique and super fun experience and everybody on the boat has a real good time. It's super wholesome

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Alxprit posted:

I didn't do Fisher and Culinarian out of overall dissatisfaction with fishing mechanics
Have you tried Ocean fishing ? a lot of job XP quickly and easily, you only need three types of bait available at the merchant near the boat boarding and it has cool events and objectives

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I managed to get all crafters and gatherers* to level cap before I ended trial. Am I a wild man? Possibly.

(I didn't do Fisher and Culinarian out of overall dissatisfaction with fishing mechanics and culinarians requiring their ingredients the most, and even now that I'm at endgame they're still not unlocked at all at this point out of principle.)

Similarly, out of a need to get all the “value” I could; I got all jobs to level cap, including crafters and gatherers, and got one full Zodiac and Anima weapon.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

As I said, I have not even unlocked Fisher. I know the moment I do I will want to complete it, so I restrain myself, because it doesn't look fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fishing is a mostly chill activity, it's Big Fish that are bad. As long as you don't do those fishing is an easy and chill way to pass the time.