Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

this kid is nuts posted:

Bro if they still don't put Zack and Shingo in the main event tier after all this poo poo

If Gedo legitimately pushes Finlay over those two... I think I'll actually cry

Dave brought up a good point on Observer Radio that no matter what they do going forward will carry a big risk

Tana's obviously near the end
Naito's obviously near the end
Suzuki's obviously near the end
Finlay's not ready
SANADA needs a break
Ospreay and Okada are gone at the same time just like Styles and Nakamura were gone at the same time
If you push Tsuji, Shota, or Yuya to the Okada/Ospreay/Styles/Nakamura level they’re obviously going to be wanted by US companies/WWE/etc just like that level was. It’s no longer a one-off or fluke that what happened with Styles/Nakamura happened, it’s the standard going forward. You're building someone up so your audience can notice them, but your audience won't be the only one/your audience has crossover with the people who are eager to poach because they have trouble making their own stars. Doing the work for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah, it's clear by now that the problem is a fundamental one and that Okada's departure should be seen as the dead canary it is. NJPW seems aware of this to some extent, as I have to think that the creation of the United Japan Pro-Wrestling group (https://www.njpw1972.com/166568) was in part motivated to try and address the issues informing the ongoing and crippling loss of talent. Whether said group can actually provide any solutions obviously still remains to be seen, but at this point I think Japanese companies either have to accept that they'll always be at risk of losing wrestlers to the west or try and conglomerate in a more substantial way so as to provide competitive compensation and a stage big enough to shine on.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Taichi doesn't want to travel so it's Taichi's time to shine!

Anyway yeah they're kinda of behind the 8-ball given even if tickets recover they can't compete with US TV money. Sadly it looks Japan is becoming like the smaller soccer leagues that don't have big TV money

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Didn't NJPW used to do dual contracts with RoH? They probably need to start doing that with AEW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave brought up a good point on Observer Radio that no matter what they do going forward will carry a big risk

Finlay's not ready
SANADA needs a break
Ospreay and Okada are gone at the same time just like Styles and Nakamura were gone at the same time
If you push Tsuji, Shota, or Yuya to the Okada/Ospreay/Styles/Nakamura level they’re obviously going to be wanted by US companies/WWE/etc just like that level was. It’s no longer a one-off or fluke that what happened with Styles/Nakamura happened, it’s the standard going forward. You're building someone up so your audience can notice them, but your audience won't be the only one/your audience has crossover with the people who are eager to poach because they have trouble making their own stars. Doing the work for them

I think it's less of a risk with the domestic guys than with the foreign talent because while it's certainly different today than the 1980s, there's still a clear reticence to push people whose English is either limited or has a noticeable accent in the big US companies. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's why Khan and AEW haven't made a play for Giulia. Basically, if WWE end up with both Nakamura and Okada, I wouldn't be overly worried about them making a play for Shota or Tsuji successfully in the near future, because both sides are likely to feel that there's not room.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm not sure how at risk the Japanese stars the level below Okada are. In both AEW and WWE, there's only a limited amounts of spots unless they go crazy talent hoarding.

Okada is a trophy piece who commands bidding war prices but both companies are heavily pre-disposed against ESL wrestlers who can't cut fluent promos. (Luchadores are slightly different in that Spanish speaking audiences are a growing market in the United States).

The English speaking indies will struggle as their talent gets poached the moment they show more than a little potential. But just as happened in the NXT Black and Gold days, eventually the amount of spots a wrestling company feels like they have to fill gets filled, and there's a bounce back in the indies. It's just that at the moment there's roughly double the spots and a wrestling war going on.

In a weakened market losing your very best and most over young guys is going to sting and the threat will always be there but it's not like AEW has raided DDT further than Takeshita. In fact, I'd say the secondary tier of Japanese promotions are far more likely to be raided by NJPW as reaction to any future losses of talent to AEW/WWE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, when's Kiyomiya's deal with NOAH up? Given how little CyberAgent seem to give a poo poo about pushing him versus how polished and finished a product he is, NJPW should probably make a play if he's remotely available.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This show was pretty bad. United Empire Vs BC was fun, Tag Title match was insipid,main event was dogshit

I miss when the NEVER Openweight Title was good.

I had totally missed Tama going. Nothing of value lost.

Fire Red Shoes for restarting that push (but honestly,replace Gedo please, he's clearly creatively busy)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 21, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oiwa sneaking Kiyomiya back with him when he returns to New Japan like Suzuki-Gun did with Kanemaru would rule.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Checking out the faction video New Japan put out a few weeks ago and saw a couple of interesting things:

- Strong Style are still listed as separate to the rest of Hontai despite only having two members, hopefully means there'll be a new member soon
- House of Torture are still listed as Bullet Club, meaning there are currently 16 active BC members
- United Empire still lists Aussie Open, never really thought about them having 9 guys at one point

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris James 2 posted:

Finlay's not ready
SANADA needs a break

I think this is a little extreme because neither aew or wwe is going to fill the roster with guys who don't speak fluent English.

It's a threat but it can be mitigated by using longer contracts on domestic talent. Njpw keeping an over native English speaker unless they are some psycho true nooj believer past x point is probably impossible but domestic talent I don't think is near that. They need to start domestic wrestlers on longer deals to ensure stories can be done around them.

Mexican wrestling still produces talent and they are more desirable than Japanese talent for the reasons FM listed with the same issues (ie not as much money as big US promotions)

Last quarter Bushiroad sport made about 12 million dollars and 1.7 million dollars in profit (these are rough USD conversions). There is obviously not the same level of money as the US but this is a vast improvement for the segment from last year. This is njpw plus stardom obviously. While njpw isn't competing with wwe/aew for money they do relatively good (see cyberfight never making a cent)

Njpw will always need Japanese talent. They would rather develop them through the dojo system. That's not the only way to get talent though.

Edit

By last quarter I mean for the first quarter of the financial year of 2024. It's the most recent earnings bushiroad has published

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 21, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Here's another salve. AEW has problems with work rate in the women's division instead of raiding for Joshi talent (who are presumably paid far less than men's wrestlers) they've not touched the scene since that first wave of hires when the strategy was WCW cruiserweights but Japanese women. New hires are exclusively from the west.

WWE seems far more likely to hire Japanese women to fill the gaps in their roster but they've not gone on a spree nor been particularly aggressive hiring Japanese men.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 21, 2024

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Ospreay vs. Alexander from TNA and Syuri vs. Mayu from Stardom have been added to NJPW World and both are very worth checking out (especially the latter).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, longer deals might work out for everyone, because you might be able to overpay on the first year, and save money in the long term from the office's standpoint, plus the knowledge that you can push guys without much risk, and the talent get job security and more money short term.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

Road to THE NEW BEGINNING
January 23rd at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

Ryusuke Taguchi and Katsuya Murashima vs. YOH and Shoma Kato
United Empire (Cobb, Henare, Catch 2/2, Newman) vs. BC War Dogs (Finlay, Coughlin, Kidd, Connors, and Maloney)
G.o.D (El-P, Hikuleo, and Jado) vs. Bullet Club (KENTA, Chase Owens, and Taiji Ishimori)
Okada, Tana, Ishii, and Honma vs. TMDK (ZSJ, Haste, Nicholls, and Fujita)
Tama Tonga, Shota Umino, and Togi Makabe vs. House of Torture (EVIL, Ren Narita, an Yujiro Takahashi)
L.I.J (Naito, Shingo, Tsuji, Hiromu, and BUSHI) vs. Just 5 Guys (SANADA, Taichi, Uemura, DOUKI, and TAKA)
Master Wato vs. SHO
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champiobship:El Desperado(c) vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Wrassling's on!

Edit: Oh no, El Desperado's best friend Master Wato has hurt his leg?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 23, 2024

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

They are making the poor guy roll into the ring

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

How nice of SHO to wrench Wato's knee back into shape :shobon:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Sho trying to help wato

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Why does SHO sound so nasally now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Desperado out here to save his best friend :shobon:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Kato seems very young

But I like the intensity of Murashima in his very short career

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Energy picks up like crazy once Gabe Kidd shows up, as to be expected from the leader of his faction :hmmyes:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Serious aggression in this match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would be more than happy for Henare and Kidd to have a singles match.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I would be more than happy for Henare and Kidd to have a singles match.

Good news they do on Sunday

Great match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Good news they do on Sunday

Great match

Hell yeah!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I whinged enough about chase/kenta the other day so I'll spend this time just relaxing

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Good lord that went a long time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Wait, this isn't the Māori Commentary booth?" :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okada determined to bury this Young Boy with the World Famous Money Clip to add insult to injury before he leaves.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Let's go fujita

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Henare just straight up laying out that he's fully aware of the House of Torture blueprint for matches... so plan for it if your faction fights theirs! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"We're trying to get people to subscribe, you know" from Henare is a perfect reaction to this bullshit.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Taichi wins

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And yet he couldn't put his pants back together :thunk:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hot honourably leaving this match one on one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:nallears:

Edit: THE PRESIDENT! YOU HAVE THE POWER TO STOP THIS!

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
tana heard our prayers!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

This is a good match imo

Kanemura got his working boots on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
yeah this is really good