Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

That way madness lies. Don’t do it. How long does the phone actually last on a charge?

0730-1700 duty cycle end up at 60-55% available charge.

14 non pro @Duckman2008

I'm in Europe so I have two years to make Timb pay if it degrades too quicky, I was just a bit surprised at the sudden change in numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17.3 is out!

"This update introduces additional security measures with Stolen Device Protection. This release also includes a new Unity wallpaper to honor Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month, as well as other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your iPhone."

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

iOS 17.3 is out!

"This update introduces additional security measures with Stolen Device Protection. This release also includes a new Unity wallpaper to honor Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month, as well as other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your iPhone."

Unity!!!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Duckman2008 posted:

14 or 14 Pro ?

The 14 Pro (and maybe the pro max) has had a noticeable amount of reports, both online and here, on a battery that depreciated much more rapidly than past phones. Mine was at 91% after 1 year, when normally my iPhones would be at 95-96% after one year.

Honestly, it’s to the point that I’m surprised there isn’t a lawsuit yet, and I would bet on one happening vs not happening.

It’s pretty disappointing , unfortunately the only solution is $100 for a new battery (or upgrade to the 15, but obviously most people don’t want to upgrade their quickly…except me).

I’m at 91% after year on 14 Pro. I’m thinking you need to adjust your mental model unfortunately. In USA there is no way that’s outside of norm enough to qualify for any compensation.

e: That being said, when compared with electric vehicles (which do not always use Li-Ion cells like a phone), obviously yearly degradation leaves a lot to be desired from a consumer's perspective. Perhaps Apple believes it has found a sweet spot in how little they can spend on manufacturing batteries vs. the yearly degradation most consumers might notice. And we are right at that high end of seeing a 9% drop in 1 year.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 23, 2024

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rageaholic posted:

iOS 17.3 is out!

What about the loving Game Centre bug, Tim Apple?!?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

“What’s Game Center?” - Timb

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh cool, there’s a Vision Pro icon on the camera UI now when you go to take a video to make it 3D video or whatever. Even if you don’t own one. Dumb.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh cool, there’s a Vision Pro icon on the camera UI now when you go to take a video to make it 3D video or whatever. Even if you don’t own one. Dumb.

?

I updated this afternoon and don’t see anything

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not sure. Might need a non-poverty camera? 15 Pro here on 4K setting.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

14 pro at 4K still has no icon /shrug

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

rafikki posted:

14 pro at 4K still has no icon /shrug

Not sure. Might need a non-poverty camera? 15 Pro here on 4K setting.

You need a 15 Pro or 15 Pro Max.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
15 Pro and Pro Max only.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/record-spatial-videos-for-apple-vision-pro-iph6e3a6d4fe/ios

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I hit it and then said I’d set it up later and it’s gone. Not a big deal.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So is anyone gonna try nabbing these at launch for $3.5k?

I'm trying to imagine a use case for me where I would use it consistently. My first thought always goes to my job, since I have several windows open at once, and real estate is king, but lmbo lmao if I were to wear a VR headset for work. My next thought is maybe content consumption, since I usually have YouTube open throughout the day, but that's always off to the side when im playing slower paced games or chatting up discord/reading forums, so that rules it out. I am curious what the main use cases for this are, for goons in particular. Then my last thoughts are that maybe this kind of VR environment could be helpful for people with physical disabilities, but who knows.

Chemmy posted:

I hit it and then said I’d set it up later and it’s gone. Not a big deal.
Where's your av from? I've been looking at it while composing my turd of a message. Looks like a chicken wing with tendrils carrying a unconscious person away.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satellite_Years

It’s a 20 year old metalcore album. It’s a space jellyfish carrying an unconscious body into orbit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh man I used to listen to that back in the college days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

I'm trying to imagine a use case for me where I would use it consistently. My first thought always goes to my job, since I have several windows open at once, and real estate is king, but lmbo lmao if I were to wear a VR headset for work. My next thought is maybe content consumption, since I usually have YouTube open throughout the day, but that's always off to the side when im playing slower paced games or chatting up discord/reading forums, so that rules it out. I am curious what the main use cases for this are, for goons in particular. Then my last thoughts are that maybe this kind of VR environment could be helpful for people with physical disabilities, but who knows.

Where's your av from? I've been looking at it while composing my turd of a message. Looks like a chicken wing with tendrils carrying a unconscious person away.

I def have no reason to buy a Vision Pro and that’s prob the same for most people.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ive got a bad neck injury so I often use some XReal Airs to have a monitor I can work off of when my head is perfectly flat.

Now, for like $5000 Canadian dollars I can easily mount a tv on the ceiling of every room I would work in, so the Vision Pro is competing with some wild hardware, but the use case is the same imo and I would find it very useful.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I def have no reason to buy a Vision Pro and that’s prob the same for most people.

It’s probably cool for watching TV and movies but I wouldn’t buy a $3500 TV. It also seems like it would be super isolating to wear around other people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

buglord posted:

It doesn’t play YouTube lol

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If I'm going to buy a Vision Pro I'm going to need to see more compelling use cases outside of "It's literally your office but the windows can float now!" I see tweets like "Look at this spacial file explorer!" and it's like hey y'all they 're conditioning you to become Matrix slaves.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The only real reason for a "normal" person to buy a Vision Pro right now is to keep it factory sealed and sell it in 15-20 years from now at an auction for several times the initial purchase price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

If I'm going to buy a Vision Pro I'm going to need to see more compelling use cases outside of "It's literally your office but the windows can float now!" I see tweets like "Look at this spacial file explorer!" and it's like hey y'all they 're conditioning you to become Matrix slaves.

It doesn't help that every previous implementation of virtual desktops has people complaining because the headset is too heavy and hot to wear for a full day of work. Also the resolution has sucked. And turning your head to look at stuff gets annoying.

I get why people think it would be neat.. but apparently it's just not that good in practice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn’t play YouTube lol

Like....at all? You can't even watch YouTube in Safari?

(Not that I had any desire to get one, but lol lmao)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

You should be able to run stuff like YouTube/Netflix in Safari. It won't have lots of those as native apps, which sucks for people who thought they could have their own private cinema on flights but now have no way of playing things offline.

Apparently it's really heavy. You will not want this as a replacement for all your other screens. At least not for longer than half an hour or so at a time.

Honestly although I think AR/screens all over your house is probably the correct future for these things, I also think the only implementation that makes sense for this tech at its current bleeding edge state is fully immersive gaming, because getting absorbed into Half Life or a flight sim or whatever is gonna be the only thing compelling enough to distract you from the hot, heavy, itchy computer pressing against your face and head.

buglord posted:

If you haven't already got a preorder in during those first few hours, you won't be able to get one for at least a couple of months from launch. Which is fine, because that's ample time for people's actual, real-world impresssions to filter through absent the Apple marketing machine.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Its 2024 and we finally get collaborative playlists in apple music

thanks tim apple

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No app, so only the web version (so online only) which doesn't have the same suite of features for VR/AR as the apps do.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

No app, so only the web version (so online only) which doesn't have the same suite of features for VR/AR as the apps do.

Also isn't a lot of the marketing like 'you can watch Star Wars while also being in the Cantina', or what have you, so even though watching web Netflix is still technically using netflix, all the potential they're advertising are just a tiny sliver of content. Starting to feel a bit like the early days of 3d TV where there were three films you could actually watch on the thing with all the bells and whistles, and two of them were Avatar and the HDR version of Avatar.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some of this poo poo is really cool

https://youtu.be/Vb0dG-2huJE?si=br_jAaMkAIt1QOkt

It’s not $3500 cool (to me) but it’s cool as gently caress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Also isn't a lot of the marketing like 'you can watch Star Wars while also being in the Cantina', or what have you, so even though watching web Netflix is still technically using netflix, all the potential they're advertising are just a tiny sliver of content. Starting to feel a bit like the early days of 3d TV where there were three films you could actually watch on the thing with all the bells and whistles, and two of them were Avatar and the HDR version of Avatar.

Also you can fly to Orlando, get a hotel and 3 day park tickets to go to the actual cantina for 2 people for less than $3500.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

Some of this poo poo is really cool

https://youtu.be/Vb0dG-2huJE?si=br_jAaMkAIt1QOkt

It’s not $3500 cool (to me) but it’s cool as gently caress.

None of that looks cool lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Yes it actually does if you seen any of the current VR AR jank.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

Can you imagine yourself ever strapping some sort of glasses to your face that simulates a screen? Because I'd kill for AR/VR smart glasses that act as a desktop replacement that doesn't make you look like a nerd and can be used from anywhere with all-day battery life.

We'll get there eventually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Glasses yes, a helmet no.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
For productivity it will always be garbage and I don't trust Apple to be able to come up with enough engaging experiences (gaming) that it would ever be more than a novelty.

The only cool use case I see is for media consumption, which comes with the caveat of strapping a 3lb weight to your skull.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Branch Nvidian posted:

The only real reason for a "normal" person to buy a Vision Pro right now is to keep it factory sealed and sell it in 15-20 years from now at an auction for several times the initial purchase price.

Although an ironic joke, it’s also a bad idea. That didn’t work with early smartphones and won’t work here.

It’s surprising the value went up on any mass produced goods like classic cars, but that was a specific time in history. I think mass produced goods rising in value over time is super rare.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Although an ironic joke, it’s also a bad idea. That didn’t work with early smartphones and won’t work here.

It’s surprising the value went up on any mass produced goods like classic cars, but that was a specific time in history. I think mass produced goods rising in value over time is super rare.

First Sealed iPhone Sold for $63,000

Sealed Original iPod Sold for $29,000

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jesus. I guess that was a lucky break and sealing does make the difference, lol.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if money laundering is the cause there. Otherwise good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
First Sealed Apple Watch Sold for $99