Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Annath posted:

I don't think it was bone from her skull coming out of the mouth, it was pieces of jawbone chipping off and working their way out.

The body will eventually expel most foreign objects that aren't inside the abdominal cavity - it's fairly common for someone with a bullet, wood splinter, or bone chip to find that object eventually working it's way out through the skin. Usually starts as a painful lump, and will eventually just pop out.

Havent listened to the episode, but as I recall from this, it was during a dental procedure I think.

Like one of them was having a tooth extracted and pieces of her jaw fragmented off with the tooth.

If it wasn't specifically from that, it might have also been from bone cysts which can emerge if you develop bone cancer and make bone brittle enough to fracture, or possibly just from getting your jaw bombarded with enough alpha particles for long enough periods of time.

Radium is an alpha emitter (also gamma and beta emitter too, but less of a concern wrt bone, although may depend on the activity) and also a bone seeker too I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zeniel posted:

Radium is an alpha emitter (also gamma and beta emitter too, but less of a concern wrt bone, although may depend on the activity) and also a bone seeker too I think.

The alpha is more of a concern because the majority of a given radium sample is going to be Ra-226, which undergoes alpha decay. Gamma and beta decay would still be a major problem for bones but the half life of the isotopes that undergo beta decay are so much smaller (single digit years for one, weeks for the other vs 1600 years for 226) that they’re going to be a much smaller amount of a given sample of radium. Ra-226 decays to Radon-222, which then alpha decays quickly (days!) to Polonium 218. That then alpha decays even faster (minutes) to stuff I stop caring enough to remember.

And Radon is a group 2 element like calcium so it ends up subbing in for calcium wherever you find it in your body. Obviously bones are the big one but it could probably result in funky nerve stuff if the bone cancer wasn’t so rapidly lethal.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Speaking of bones, and only tangentially related, but I've been following the case of a 14 month old kid (at the time, it's been a year since) with a blood lead level of 63.9.

For context, there is no "safe" blood lead level, especially in children, but we (the Department of Health) investigate any cases of levels greater than 5.

Lead loves to bind itself to your bones, and can take months of zero exposure to fully clear the body. It's especially dangerous to kids, because it can cause all sorts of developmental problems.

Kid was living in a house built in 1902, which had been renovated before the family moved in, but being in the historic district, they were not permitted to tear out the original door and window frames, which were covered in degraded lead paint. Kid was just learning to pull himself up onto furniture/objects, and likely got his hands covered in lead paint residue. Or just chewed on the windowsill, lead tastes sweet :v:

It's been a year, and his level is only down to like 26, so he's probably gonna have some significant developmental problems come to light as he gets older :(

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Annath posted:

It's been a year, and his level is only down to like 26, so he's probably gonna have some significant developmental problems come to light as he gets older :(
That's pretty sad. And then there was the recent case of lead poisoning in kids linked to applesauce pouches, which may have been intentional contamination. It's especially scary as a parent because there's nothing to be done about it, save for avoiding the lead in the first place.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Zugzwang posted:

That's pretty sad. And then there was the recent case of lead poisoning in kids linked to applesauce pouches, which may have been intentional contamination. It's especially scary as a parent because there's nothing to be done about it, save for avoiding the lead in the first place.

Yeah, I just got an update on the applesauce stuff.

I don't typically handle lead cases for our health district, we have another nurse that does those, but I was asked to handle the kid's case because it was so ridiculously high and nobody knew what to do with it.

I mean neither did I, but I got asked to anyway :v:

Ended up having to call in an assessor from another district to conduct a full testing of the house and property. No lead in the water thank god, but pretty much every room had some level of lead dust contamination.

We had to write up a (50+ page) report and remediation recommendation. Took months to deal with.

E: holy poo poo, I just read the latest update on the applesauce - investigations into the cinnamon used in the factory that made these products found lead levels of up to 5110 parts per million.

The level considered "acceptable maximum" for bark products will be adopted as 2.5ppm in 2024.

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 19, 2023

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The alpha is more of a concern because the majority of a given radium sample is going to be Ra-226, which undergoes alpha decay. Gamma and beta decay would still be a major problem for bones but the half life of the isotopes that undergo beta decay are so much smaller (single digit years for one, weeks for the other vs 1600 years for 226) that they’re going to be a much smaller amount of a given sample of radium. Ra-226 decays to Radon-222, which then alpha decays quickly (days!) to Polonium 218. That then alpha decays even faster (minutes) to stuff I stop caring enough to remember.

And Radon is a group 2 element like calcium so it ends up subbing in for calcium wherever you find it in your body. Obviously bones are the big one but it could probably result in funky nerve stuff if the bone cancer wasn’t so rapidly lethal.

You probably meant to write it but Radium is the group 2 element, Radon is an inert gas (same group as helium, neon, argon).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Falukorv posted:

You probably meant to write it but Radium is the group 2 element, Radon is an inert gas (same group as helium, neon, argon).

Whoops, my “close enough for autocorrect” typing style probably got me that time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
No, Radon is not inert. It's radioactive, causes lung cancer, and is a significant hazard for homes with basements in certain areas of the US.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Inert in the chemical sense, in the context of its goruping in the periodic table. It is a noble gas is what i mean, not saying it is harmless. My parents boiler room in the basement even has a wall-fan to keep the ventilation up because of Radon from the foundations.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 19, 2023

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah its particularly concerning in certai
N countries. Especially Finland where it's prominent enough in rocks and ground water that if you live in old stone buildings your risk of lung cancer is similar to that of a heavy smoker.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

I mean, in the case of absorbed radioisotopes, alphas are more damaging always because they are very high LET (linear energy transfer) radiation. That is to say, they deposit more energy per unit path length than betas and gammas. In fact they do this far more efficiently than drat near anything, because their effective path length is basically that of the width of a DNA helix, so they've high chance of causing lethal damage to any cells they happen to inhabit.

That also means that alphas probably aren't gonna give you bone cancer because they'll just do serious damage to your bones if you absorb them in enough concentrations.

Betas might not be super concerning for bones, because beta tend to scatter off bone, but that might be different in the case of absorbed radioisotopes... it'd likely depend on the activity/energy of the betas... same with the gammas too, with internal radiation you can't really assess the extent of severity from the half-life of the isotope alone, since the density of the isotope will determine specific activity and the emitted energies interact with biological tissue differently. Also inverse square law plays a big role with internal dosimetry too.

And that's not even considering the biological half-life either.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 19, 2023

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Okay, once Robert dropped the Mary Kay bomb at the end, I must have looked as shocked as Sophie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It does make a lot of sense once they go over who her father was

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I didn't even connect the dots until I remembered his affair with a student many years his junior.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bell_ posted:

Okay, once Robert dropped the Mary Kay bomb at the end, I must have looked as shocked as Sophie.

I saw this post before i listened to the episode and assume this was a spoiler and got mad because I thought it would have been fun to naturally hear that he was connected to the beginning of the MLM so when the reveal happened and it wasn’t that I was stunned

What a twist

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Surprise pedophile in the 4th quarter! Lmao

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Hoo boy, listening to this Daily Wire series on It Could Happen Here and I hate everything about these fuckers.

Like, none of it is really new to me, but hearing it laid out like this is just loving infuriating

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

lol, for a second I thought your statement meant the inverse.
Like the Daily Wire was covering It Could Happen Here. And I wondered what your beef with the CZM crew was.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Shinji2015 posted:

Hoo boy, listening to this Daily Wire series on It Could Happen Here and I hate everything about these fuckers.

Like, none of it is really new to me, but hearing it laid out like this is just loving infuriating
Robert's got a solid point in that the pivot to children's content is misguided. One of the biggest misconceptions around children's programming is that kids will just watch whatever is put in front of them. The reality is that children have agency and are more than capable of determining the quality of the media they're consuming.

I'm reminded of Justin McElroy's anecdote about the behavior of the children in the theater of The Emoji Movie vs any Pixar movie. In the first they're being loud and obnoxious and running around the theater, because that's what kids do when they're bored. In the second it's dead silent, because all of the kids are totally enraptured.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 20, 2024

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Robert's got a solid point in that the pivot to children's content is misguided. One of the biggest misconceptions around children's programming is that kids will just watch whatever is put in front of them. The reality is that children have agency and are more than capable of determining the quality of the media they're consuming.

Of course The Daily Wire is run by and directed to the demographic that ardently believes that their offspring have no agency, even well into adulthood.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Froghammer posted:

I'm reminded of Justin McElroy's anecdote about the behavior of the children in the theater of The Emoji Movie vs any Pixar movie. In the first they're being loud and obnoxious and running around the theater, because that's what kids do when they're bored. In the second it's dead silent, because all of the kids are totally enraptured.

That's exactly right, but it doesn't matter to the people who think the Daily Wire is doing God's work. They don't think their kids have agency, so they'll consume whatever it is they put in front of them and they'll like it

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

AceOfFlames posted:

Of course The Daily Wire is run by and directed to the demographic that ardently believes that their offspring have no agency, even well into adulthood.
I relistened to the 12 Tribes episode and the main takeaway was that the thing that's killing the cult is that basing an entire belief structure around beating children inevitably leads to those children leaving the cult the minute they turn into adults. The target audience for this isn't kids, it's parents who believe that they have the right to be biblical overlords of their children and have complete control over what kind of ideas and information their children should have access to, and that's not an attitude that's going to engender positive feelings once those children grow up.

Like all things Daily Wire, it's a grift disguised as propaganda.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Children are possessions because there is no difference between private property rights and morality.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The Lady Ballerz review is so much darker than I was anticipating

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I had already listened to God Awful Movies and the Totally Trans podcast talk about that movie, so the plot recap didn't shock me, but some of the details about the production were new to me. Can't imagine signing onto that production as an extra and then being blindsided with all that transphobia

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I have to believe that a modicum of self reflection has to take place in the producers' minds when they have to hide the name of the production company and aspects of the plot so that people working on it can stomach it. If only for a few seconds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chapo covered the movie a few weeks ago and their takeaway was how misogynistic it was, when at least on the surface it looked like it was trying to be more transphobic

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Turns out trying to square "we need to protect women's sports" with "I could totally take a set off of Serena Williams" leads to some dark places

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
These are grown men who think walking down the pink toy aisle at Walmart will make you gay.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So in today's episode Robert mentions that they had previously talked about Discordianism. fnord

Some googling indicates that might have been in the series on the Illuminati. Is that right, or is there anywhere else it comes up? I'm putting that series at the top of my queue right now, though I'm very worried that I'll learn something about Malaclypse the Younger and/or Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst that will make me deeply sad.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Yes, the Illuminati episodes

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Those were pretty good episodes, too. I think Margaret helped keep some structure that usually you end up losing when Garrison is on. Also helped by the fact that Garrison was just a guest and not guest hosting.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Binged the entire Illuminati series between my last post and now. I was 14 when I first read the Principia Discordia, and sure enough there was a lot in there that made me really sad. Ultimately, though, it really filled in a lot of gaps and was an extremely enlightening listen. Also, I've got a hardcover copy of John Higgs's The KLF arriving at my house tomorrow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

Binged the entire Illuminati series between my last post and now. I was 14 when I first read the Principia Discordia, and sure enough there was a lot in there that made me really sad. Ultimately, though, it really filled in a lot of gaps and was an extremely enlightening listen. Also, I've got a hardcover copy of John Higgs's The KLF arriving at my house tomorrow.

What did you think of the Margaret/Garrison combo? I thought she balanced the Garrison and Robert dynamic perfectly.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

What did you think of the Margaret/Garrison combo? I thought she balanced the Garrison and Robert dynamic perfectly.

Well, I'll start with two caveats: 1) I'm fairly new to the podcast and don't know any of the other people involved, and 2) I'm not the best at distinguishing voices when I can't see faces.

To me, Margaret & Garrison sounded similar enough that I was having a hard time figuring out who was who (especially if Robert doesn't bring up a name). Like, I distinctly remember thinking during one of the later episodes that Garrison must have missed the recording and it was just Margaret the whole time (then suddenly at the end of the episode he was doing his pluggables). That said, I do think they did work really well as guests as their particular niches meshed really well with the material.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
They're both fine as guests, though I find Garrison more interesting.

I find people of Margaret's professed ideology extremely irritating, so I don't like her personally, but as a podcast guest she's mostly fine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s perfect that the second and third Google results for Jamie Loftus are now ‘Jamie Loftus Grand Rapids’ and ‘Jamie Loftus Hammer’

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Personally I think they should have gone with "publicly available" evidence.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Vince is resigning from the WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I did not see that coming, at all. These allegations must be the kind of thing that he can't make go away.