Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

thats a man who has definitely heard of techno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://vxtwitter.com/NonCRDDefence/status/1747980323244130491?s=20

Also, if you look up that airport on google earth, you see it is a museum, but also an aircraft boneyard, and more recently, a place to stash broken western airliners.

https://earth.google.com/web/search...fFtvUE_AOgMKATA

Looking at google satellite view, this is a very strange airport because no planes can get near the actual terminal. It was also only built as a new airport in 2016 but looks like a hot mess.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I count two, maybe three former runways on that site.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
TKS?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

The Real Amethyst posted:

Looking at google satellite view, this is a very strange airport because no planes can get near the actual terminal. It was also only built as a new airport in 2016 but looks like a hot mess.

Kinda place where you take a bus to the plane on that is at a hard stand, like some kinda dump only Easyjet and Ryanair fly into like Charleroi, or that has far more train tourism than plane tourism, like Florence.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tekalmit Kilfrost Sheepsbridge-Stokes of course.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

For the record, I feel like the TKS spacecraft qualifies for aeronautical insanity given they put a door into the heat shield.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Speaking of doors, last night Saturday Night Live did what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZf0bNDWH4s

Someone who works at Alaska tells me that everyone there is torn between laughing their heads off at this, and worrying that SNL just did to them what they did to USAir 30 years ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking of doors, last night Saturday Night Live did what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZf0bNDWH4s

Someone who works at Alaska tells me that everyone there is torn between laughing their heads off at this, and worrying that SNL just did to them what they did to USAir 30 years ago.

“You didn’t die and got a cool story” could be the state of Alaska’s motto.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If I laughed at SNL jokes my family would book me a ticket on alaskan airlines

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the usair skit was way more brutal imo, this one is as much about our reaction as the public as it is about the airline. "nobody died and you got a cool story" was deffo part of my id's reaction to the story

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Cactus Ghost posted:

the usair skit was way more brutal imo,

So were the USAir accidents

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cactus Ghost posted:

the usair skit was way more brutal imo, this one is as much about our reaction as the public as it is about the airline. "nobody died and you got a cool story" was deffo part of my id's reaction to the story

Super anti-union too, holy poo poo.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Mentor pilot did an episode on the Alaskan flight and it made me weep, via effective use of graphic novel style imagery.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The youtube link was for the pilot that tried to shut off the engines inflight (geoblocked in :canada: so couldn't see it)

Yeah, that was a pretty good Mentour imho. Really humanized the guy.

I hope he's getting help.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I could make a poor decision

e: there's an entire flight of these guys flying together in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSfKiQdFn-c

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 22, 2024

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

I could make a poor decision

That's true, not buying that plane would be a bad move.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I can’t decide whether I want to fly it or pet it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Up next, 737-900er

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/us-faa-recommends-door-plug-checks-boeing-737-900er-jets-2024-01-22/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I reserve judgment until a competent regulator recommends the checks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I can’t decide whether I want to fly it or pet it.

It would fit in a two car garage with space to spare.

You could sit there; you with your six pack, and Mechanic with his full rack, and pet it. If his hand ever starts wandering towards the screw-gun on the table between you, that's when you know you've got to keep up your end of the conversation.

I remember one time, a guy came in wearing jorts and New Balance, mumbling about, "Secondary minimums.", to Mechanic while trying to sit at our table. I don't know who called the FAA on him first, me or the insurance adjuster, but we probably both saved his life.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

I remember one time, a guy came in wearing jorts and New Balance, mumbling about, "Secondary minimums.", to Mechanic while trying to sit at our table. I don't know who called the FAA on him first, me or the insurance adjuster, but we probably both saved his life.

Thank you for keeping the Jerry content coming, you’re doing the world a service.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A random question I had while watching vids about disasters involving fires on aircraft: assuming it's in the main pressurized cabin, is there ever a point where you consider depressurizing to cut the oxygen level to the fire and hopefully vent some of the smoke?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

A random question I had while watching vids about disasters involving fires on aircraft: assuming it's in the main pressurized cabin, is there ever a point where you consider depressurizing to cut the oxygen level to the fire and hopefully vent some of the smoke?

This is airplane game stuff, but I remember a livestream of a bunch of nerds with a fully functional 747 cockpit where to remove smoke from the cabin, the procedure was to drop altitude and vent the cabin itself to atmosphere.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think depressurizing at altitude and triggering the oxygen masks during a fire would end well, you really just want to get back on the ground as fast as possible at least as far as passenger craft go. I don't think it would even do much for the fire at the altitudes your average airliner can reach.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

PittTheElder posted:

there's definitely a real life accident where they tried this, there's an air disasters ep about it. iirc it didn't work

e: I think it's this one, though it says there was a procedure to vent the cabin by opening a door but they didn't do it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Airways_Flight_295

there's also air Canada 797 where they had a fire that flashed on the ground when they opened the doors to evacuate

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Not an expert but I think the lack of oxygen means the fire smolders - it's why there was a big explosive fireball on AC 797 and, ooohhh, that airliner that burned down recently.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

slidebite posted:

The youtube link was for the pilot that tried to shut off the engines inflight (geoblocked in :canada: so couldn't see it)

Yeah, that was a pretty good Mentour imho. Really humanized the guy.

I hope he's getting help.

I watched it and I'm in Canada. Weird.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The wheel fell off.

https://x.com/gregg_re/status/1749835450804576370?s=20

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It it's Boeing I ain't going?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sounds more likely a Delta MX fuckup, it's just one big nut holding that on the axle and I would assume they're supposed to be wired or staked somehow since that's standard even on the shittiest cars' castle nuts

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

shame on an IGA posted:

sounds more likely a Delta MX fuckup, it's just one big nut holding that on the axle and I would assume they're supposed to be wired or staked somehow since that's standard even on the shittiest cars' castle nuts

On a 757? Yeah that's 1000% an MX issue.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

On the -10 it’s a whole-rear end bolt with its own castle nut and a cotter pin.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

One of the youtube real ATC channels needs to also animate the wheel rolling off the runway down the hill along with looney tunes sound effects.

The comms is great at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=basogKN3QSQ

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 24, 2024

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hobbesmaster posted:

One of the youtube real ATC channels needs to also animate the wheel rolling off the runway down the hill along with looney tunes sound effects.

The comms is great at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=basogKN3QSQ

Ops is going to tug us off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://x.com/dominicgates/status/1750157756990955566?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

Still lending confirmation but even worse for Boeing if true. https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-not-spirit-mis-installed-piece-that-blew-off-alaska-max-9-jet/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

On the upside, the hits on the share price makes it cheaper for them to do buybacks!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

On the upside, the hits on the share price makes it cheaper for them to do buybacks!

Now you're thinking like a CEO.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

So didn’t United and Alaska both report that they had found other planes with loose bolts? Would that mean they had all been sent to Boeing for repair before or is there still a possibility of this being a problem during manufacturing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Freaquency posted:

So didn’t United and Alaska both report that they had found other planes with loose bolts? Would that mean they had all been sent to Boeing for repair before or is there still a possibility of this being a problem during manufacturing?

It's probably an all the above situation.

I'm hoping the FAA gets its teeth back from this, but betting this will get smoothed over with the purchase of a few members of Congress.