Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I've been a Pixel fanboy for as long as I remember. This was until work gave me a free S22.

I really love the hardware and just swapped out the crap Samsung apps so it's a combination of Google and Samsung. Samsung Dialer/Contacts and Calendar but Google Messages Photos and keyboard. One UI is a good launcher as well.

Seems to work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I did the same exact split between Samsung and Google apps. It works great and everything still synchs back to Google.

The hardware is just straight up better. The battery life especially. My S23 absolutely trounces my old 7. It's not even close. That alone was worth me making the move.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

explosivo posted:

Ah man Gizmodo likes the S24 U :ohdear:

The screen sounds nice. I do kinda hate the rounded glass on the 22U.

I'm going to generously assume whoever wrote that has some kind of brain problem. Goddamn what a waste of 2 minutes.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dang a lot of cries for help from Samsung owners

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Nowher posted:

I've been a Pixel fanboy for as long as I remember. This was until work gave me a free S22.

I really love the hardware and just swapped out the crap Samsung apps so it's a combination of Google and Samsung. Samsung Dialer/Contacts and Calendar but Google Messages Photos and keyboard. One UI is a good launcher as well.

Seems to work pretty well.

How do you swap out the samsung crap? They don't want to get uninstalled (via standard means).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My new work phone is a Samsung, and it seems fine so far. It's far more usable than the old iPhone SE they had forced on me prior to that, but it still has quirks and redundant bloat trying to push Samsung ecosystem crap. I vastly prefer my personal Pixel 6 over the work Samsung, but I got to take what I'm given.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Dang a lot of cries for help from Samsung owners

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Volguus posted:

How do you swap out the samsung crap? They don't want to get uninstalled (via standard means).

I don't think you can, unless you have root access? At best you can disable some of them and stash the rest in a junk apps folder. :shrug:

You can change the default dialer, messages and calendar apps once you install them.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I had Samsung phones since the Galaxy S Captivate and all the way up to the note 8 (I skipped the 7) but I switched to pixels starting with the pixel 3 and am now on the 8 pro, and I just like pixels better. Probably a big part of that too though is that I love to root for various reasons and Samsung last I heard has built in hardware fuses that blow if you try to root :barf:

Out of my Samsung phones, my s5 and note 8 still work, albeit with horrible battery life, but everything else just broke in one way or another. For pixels, I've never had one go bad and my 3 is still my fully working backup phone that I currently use as a work phone with a data only sim on fi

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Volguus posted:

Some stuff can be removed, others you just have to install the app you want and make it the default.

And hope Samsung doesn't pull a Microsoft, because seriously gently caress Edge being the default app regardless of what you have for a browser default when you click a link in Outlook.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe it depends on the device and whether it's a carrier version but on mine nearly all of the samsung apps can be uninstalled the normal way, there's only a few stragglers like the redundant messages app

it's not like pixels are perfect in that regard either, i don't use gmail but pixels won't let you uninstall that AFAIK

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Google's redundant apps are a non-issue when it's so trivial to set your preference.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I like samsungs hardware but the software stuff drives me mad, so an earlier comparison to apple rang true for me

I have one of my kids old samsung tablets for playing music from, and every day or so it will turn the volume right down, to protect my delicate ears from powerful headphones, even though I'm running it through a site speaker

you can guarantee it will happen right as it's getting towards the best bit of a track too

battery life is still phenomenal though, and it didn't even care that I accidentally ripped out the whole SD card assembly

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

repiv posted:

it's not like pixels are perfect in that regard either, i don't use gmail but pixels won't let you uninstall that AFAIK
it can be disabled which will take it out of the app drawer, i have mine down to 32 icons

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

Google's redundant apps are a non-issue when it's so trivial to set your preference.

except when it isn't, such as the system level "web search" text selection shortcut always going to google regardless of your default search engine

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

repiv posted:

except when it isn't, such as the system level "web search" text selection shortcut always going to google regardless of your default search engine
that's because it's added by the google app. you can disable it and that option will disappear entirely

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

okay but i want that shortcut and there's obviously a reason why they tied it to the google app instead of chrome (so they don't have to respect chrome's search engine setting)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

repiv posted:

Are you talking about when you select text and choose "web search"? Mine runs a Start Page search on Firefox.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

repiv posted:

okay but i want that shortcut and there's obviously a reason why they tied it to the google app instead of chrome (so they don't have to respect chrome's search engine setting)
it's not "tied to the google app," it's created by it. why would the google app add a menu to search with another provider? people were complaining in either this thread or the app thread about amazon adding something to the context menu. try installing bing or whatever to see if it adds what you want

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im saying they could have just as easily made the google app not create that shortcut, and give that responsibility to chrome instead, but they don't want to for obvious reasons

in fact that's exactly what firefox does as mentioned above, if you have that installed then the web search intent pops a dialog asking if you want to use google or firefox

jokes on me for using chrome i guess

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

that doesn't make any sense. the google app is for searching, chrome is for browsing. i installed firefox as a test, it adds the same option to the context menu as the google app, so android has to ask you which one you wanted. if you disable the google app with firefox installed, it will use firefox and not ask. chrome has nothing to do with it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you're right why would i want to search in chrome, an app that has search integrated into the address bar and configurable search engine options, that's a stupid idea

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

repiv posted:

Not really what I was talking about. As it has already been explained, what you're talking about is not part of One UI.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ordered my OP12. We'll see how that goes :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

repiv posted:

you're right why would i want to search in chrome, an app that has search integrated into the address bar and configurable search engine options, that's a stupid idea
you asked about the "web search" context menu, which is added by the google app (and firefox). if you're wanting to change the search engine used in chrome, it's near the top of the settings screen

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I was momentarily excited to see this thread had 85 new replies waiting for me. It's my fault for getting my hopes up.

Google Photos Memories owns though, that's not debatable

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question about adaptive brightness. Maybe more of a Samsung question, on s21 with android 13 and one UI 5.1. So when I go to bed I turn my brightness completely down, every day. There's also that extra accessibly option that lets me press two buttons to make it even darker but I don't do that much.

But I do notice doing this every night seems to confuse my adaptive brightness, and it'll often turn it down a bit during the day at odd times and stuff like that. Is there any way to turn my phone's brightness as low as it goes every night for bed either without messing with my brightness settings or somehow not confusing adaptive brightness, or something like that?

Also I don't go to bed the same time every day so it can't be a scheduled setting thing. Also just if there are any nuances or tricks to adaptive brightness I'm missing.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Don't think this will help since you say you're not using extra dim but I turned on extra dim once and didn't realize it was on and my brightness kept being really dumb throughout the day and it was driving me mad till I noticed extra dim was on and once I disabled that it stopped. So I guess verify extra dim didn't get enabled

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks yep, I occasionally forget that's on, but that just makes everything uniformly less bright all the time instead of the adaptive brightness seeming confused stuff.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Question about adaptive brightness. Maybe more of a Samsung question, on s21 with android 13 and one UI 5.1. So when I go to bed I turn my brightness completely down, every day. There's also that extra accessibly option that lets me press two buttons to make it even darker but I don't do that much.

But I do notice doing this every night seems to confuse my adaptive brightness, and it'll often turn it down a bit during the day at odd times and stuff like that. Is there any way to turn my phone's brightness as low as it goes every night for bed either without messing with my brightness settings or somehow not confusing adaptive brightness, or something like that?

Also I don't go to bed the same time every day so it can't be a scheduled setting thing. Also just if there are any nuances or tricks to adaptive brightness I'm missing.

You can use Modes and Routines to create a widget that will do that for you. It should turn off adaptive brightness when you do it this way, so in theory, it shouldn't affect it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Desk Lamp posted:

You can use Modes and Routines to create a widget that will do that for you. It should turn off adaptive brightness when you do it this way, so in theory, it shouldn't affect it.

Thanks! That works great.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
What's the best way to swap my volume rocker functions? At the moment my tablet (s8 ultra) when held in portrait mode with the rocker on the left is volume up on the botton rocker and down on the top one, this is the opposite to my phone and I regulary get it wrong.

Am I missing a setting or is there an app I need?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JamesieAB posted:

What's the best way to swap my volume rocker functions? At the moment my tablet (s8 ultra) when held in portrait mode with the rocker on the left is volume up on the botton rocker and down on the top one, this is the opposite to my phone and I regulary get it wrong.

Am I missing a setting or is there an app I need?

I don't mean to be flippant, but it sounds like you're holding the tablet upside down. Couldn't you just flip it around and have the buttons face the right way?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't mean to be flippant

I see what you did there :xd:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah. Proper orientation for Samsung tablets in portrait is volume rocker and power on the right.

The screen will rotate to any orientation now, but it doesn't flip the buttons.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd suggest the correct portrait orientation is whatever way round ends up with the front camera on top

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't mean to be flippant, but it sounds like you're holding the tablet upside down. Couldn't you just flip it around and have the buttons face the right way?

Flipping heck! I never thought of ...

While a perfectly Cromulent idea, I'd prefer the power button below the rocker so that would mean the left side. I forgot to mention I would want the volume swap to be the same in Landscape.

Swapping the rocker volumes would then mirror my phones buttons. Anyway, first world problems...

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 24, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

I'd suggest the correct portrait orientation is whatever way round ends up with the front camera on top

If it's on the short-edge, sure.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Maybe a question for another thread, but is there anything I can do to segregate images on my phone if I'm taking them for work?

I want to be able to toggle a "product photos" mode or whatever so when I'm taking pictures of stuff it can shoot off to a specific folder so I can back it up to my home server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
My guess is turn on work mode and install a camera app in it. If you're on samsung (dunno if any others don't have a work mode) you can use shelter to enable. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.typeblog.shelter/

Also if on samsung you could just use secure folder but work mode is an option if you're already using that for something else