Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I glanced at Twitter today and Comicsgate was trending. Apparently there's been a big YouTube schism between EVS and some other mook, so the snake is currently swallowing its own tail. Maybe again? Not sure, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Extremists always end up eating each other - it’s baked into the mindset.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jim Steranko has gone full MAGA which, while not surprising is still kind of a bummer

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah crazy that a famously self-aggrandizing lying conman whose best work is pre-80s went full MAGA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A weird side effect of comic contracts being absolute poo poo for creators is you can still recommend big two works by problematic creators knowing you aren't putting much of any money in their pocket. Steranko's Nick Fury still slaps.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah crazy that a famously self-aggrandizing lying conman whose best work is pre-80s went full MAGA.

I'd never heard that about Steranko.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I remember watching Steranko from afar at shows in the 00’s. My gut said “he’s a bullshit artist.” I mean he draws just fine too, but he looked and sounded like a bombastic Columbo suspect .

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

He and Trump both got their hair from the same drain.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Steranko always came across to me as that crazy grandpa who wants to tell you stories about how he escaped from a burning coffin back in his day working for the circus ie not always truthful but a guy who liked to embellish the truth for a good story. I don't find people like that particularly evil but I have no idea what his politics is and wouldn't be surprised if he is a stereotypical boomer with ideas that would fit him in with the Florida retirement crowd.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Steranko is a massive liar who was also exceptionally talented. His work at Marvel was incredible.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My favorite Steranko is from when he was hired to do early concept art for what would become Raiders Of The Lost Ark. He was given the vaguest description of the protagonist and nailed the look of Indiana Jones exactly.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Oh yeah Steranko is/was an amazing artist, don’t get me wrong, literally maybe a top 10 of all time - he’s just also a piece of poo poo who probably lied about a lot of the cool stuff he says he did in his life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FMguru posted:

My favorite Steranko is from when he was hired to do early concept art for what would become Raiders Of The Lost Ark. He was given the vaguest description of the protagonist and nailed the look of Indiana Jones exactly.

It wasn't exactly the vaguest of descriptions. Tom Selleck wasn't cast until early 1980, but he was Lucas's favoured choice in late 1979 when Steranko was commissioned. It was also Lucas who specified the jacket, whip and fedora. Steranko's only significant contribution was adding the Sam Browne belt. I'm not saying it's bad, because it ain't - and he did nail the brief. But he put a lot less into the design than he claims, which is hardly a surprise considering the descriptions of him in the last few posts as a masively self-aggrandising serial liar.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

The artwork is incredible, but Steranko was probably remembering/referencing Charlton Heston in “Secret of the Incas.”

E: ^^^ Or more likely George Lucas was thinking of Heston in that movie!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So he heard about Kirby being a scout in the army in WW2 and wanted some of the same shine, stuff like that?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A piece of the Steranko story is that he knew what he was worth, and that’s probably a big factor in why his flame burned so hot in comics but fizzled out fast as he moved on to greener pastures. He was one of the only “cartoonists” at Marvel to do both art and script in the 60s, and he basically walked right into that role. Ditko got that honour but Kirby didn’t. It’s interesting to think about what comics would have looked like if Steranko stuck around through his entire prime.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Steranko was full MAGA in 2016. This is nothing new.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

A piece of the Steranko story is that he knew what he was worth, and that’s probably a big factor in why his flame burned so hot in comics but fizzled out fast as he moved on to greener pastures. He was one of the only “cartoonists” at Marvel to do both art and script in the 60s, and he basically walked right into that role. Ditko got that honour but Kirby didn’t. It’s interesting to think about what comics would have looked like if Steranko stuck around through his entire prime.

Kirby at least was somewhat comfortable in his working relationship until Lee made it unpleasant. He wasn't gunning for the scripting duties. The fact that he could turn out pages of art like a crazy man probably helped keep him in a niche, too; Stan could fill in the word balloons but nobody else could get another three pages done that day. And of course Kirby was dropping his own suggestions in for some scripting in the margins which were sometimes taken up.

Ditko was chaffing harder without full control of the story which is what made him blow up a lot sooner.

Steranko... I think he could have done amazing things if he stuck with it, but I also think he would have blended into the 70s wave of artists who were coming in right after him. Nick Fury stood out in 1967, but I think a lot of people were coming into comics at that point who were bringing in similar influences. He wouldn't be discarded, I just think he wouldn't stand out as much.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I never understood why someone so practiced and talented felt the need to lie. It’s like Tommy Tallarico, dude is already a capable musician, why try to be an impossible Everyman?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I never understood why someone so practiced and talented felt the need to lie. It’s like Tommy Tallarico, dude is already a capable musician, why try to be an impossible Everyman?

Is Tommy Tallarico talented? Every other week it seems like something he was credited for is bullshit. Is there anything of worth that's actually by him?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Tommy Tallarico feels like someone whose entire list of accomplishment is built on sand in a way that a lot of pop culture's most prolific liars' careers are not. Even the largest figure in that pantheon Donald Trump was loving President and still can't stop lying about all of the awesome poo poo he did not do.

It feels like a different class of fraud when you're someone who would be very notable/successful even if they did not decide to lie and cheat in one way or another. Barry Bonds would have Hall of Fame numbers if he never took steroids. Stan Lee created/co-created plenty of beloved stuff even if he didn't spend decades erasing his collaborators' work. Hulk Hogan was an incredibly successful wrestler without spending the past thirty years making up preposterous lies. Steranko put out some groundbreaking beloved work even if he didn't run a two minute mile while inventing rock n roll and being a master thief and the toughest street fighter in North America while racing cars and performing astounding feats of magic while threatening to knife Bob Kane over his gay looking shoes.

Tallarico really doesn't seem to have a lot of clear-cut accomplishments once you clear away all of the bullshit. It's one thing (regardless of what you think of the product) for Rob Liefeld to crow about how he used to sell millions of comics, it's quite another thing for the assistant to Rob Liefeld's fill-in artist's inker for one and a half issues of Youngblood Strikefile to do the same.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Tallarico really doesn't seem to have a lot of clear-cut accomplishments once you clear away all of the bullshit. It's one thing (regardless of what you think of the product) for Rob Liefeld to crow about how he used to sell millions of comics, it's quite another thing for the assistant to Rob Liefeld's fill-in artist's inker for one and a half issues of Youngblood Strikefile to do the same.

Tommy even faked his own episode of MTV Cribs. (For clarity he did film house tours for various things but nothing for Cribs, so still funny.)

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Probably just watch the Hbomberguy video about Tommy

https://youtu.be/0twDETh6QaI?si=fIRbpz5oUJcuC0IS

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Tommy even faked his own episode of MTV Cribs. (For clarity he did film house tours for various things but nothing for Cribs, so still funny.)

His mother's really proud of him.

His mother's really proud....

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Wanderer posted:

I glanced at Twitter today and Comicsgate was trending. Apparently there's been a big YouTube schism between EVS and some other mook, so the snake is currently swallowing its own tail. Maybe again? Not sure, really.

Was it Eric July? Because there was some sort of weird issue between them that sort of spiraled. I’m not 100% what, but it sounds like something super petty that probably could have talked out in normal circumstances.

There are a bunch of folks pissed off July hired the Soska twins though.

https://x.com/vitocomedy/status/1746587016052294050?s=61&t=TecuJlR2GMiyg6jy_3J4Bw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

July's the guy who works for Glen Beck, yeah?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah. He’s been on Fox and Friends too. Guy’s a self-described AnCap.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Was it Eric July? Because there was some sort of weird issue between them that sort of spiraled. I’m not 100% what, but it sounds like something super petty that probably could have talked out in normal circumstances.

There are a bunch of folks pissed off July hired the Soska twins though.

https://x.com/vitocomedy/status/1746587016052294050?s=61&t=TecuJlR2GMiyg6jy_3J4Bw

These folks can't be bothered to do their own research as the Soska twins have aligned themselves with the alt-right, including thanking Jack Posobiec multiple times publicly for getting their Twitter account reinstated after it was suspended while they were promoting their remake of Rabid.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

SilentChaz posted:

These folks can't be bothered to do their own research as the Soska twins have aligned themselves with the alt-right, including thanking Jack Posobiec multiple times publicly for getting their Twitter account reinstated after it was suspended while they were promoting their remake of Rabid.

It's "No True Scotsman"-ism, an appeal to purity. A fairly common thing that people who shift to the alt-right for support miss: if you don't fit EXACTLY into the mold, it doesn't matter how much you befriend them or try to get them on your side. As soon as you're no longer useful, the alt-right will devour you because you're not pure enough for the Neo-Nazi cesspool you tried to court.

Let the leopards eat all their faces, it's entertaining.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Dammit, American Mary is a banger. I don't want the Soskas to go chud.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this annoys me because I watched the Rabid remake last October and it was pretty solid, I thought "Hmm let's see what they do next" and I'm just now learning about this.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
There are still so few women behind the camera in horror and I liked what I've seen of their work, but yeah, this sucks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Have they done anything since? All these articles are 5 years old and I can't find anything really one way or the other since

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

They also were big supporters of the Open Secret documentary, which is all about sexual abuse in Hollywood. I don’t know if the producers of that were already QAnon-sympathetic, or if they got pulled into it, but as soon as folks like Posobiec and Cernovich started trying to make it a part of their narrative, they fell right in.

I guess it’s entirely possible they aren’t super CHUDy personally and just support the monstrous pieces of poo poo they do for non-political reasons. I know they supported WWE Superstar Kane for mayor mostly because they got along with him on the set of See No Evil 2. But like… I’m not sure if that’s better.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

They also were big supporters of the Open Secret documentary, which is all about sexual abuse in Hollywood. I don’t know if the producers of that were already QAnon-sympathetic, or if they got pulled into it, but as soon as folks like Posobiec and Cernovich started trying to make it a part of their narrative, they fell right in.

I guess it’s entirely possible they aren’t super CHUDy personally and just support the monstrous pieces of poo poo they do for non-political reasons. I know they supported WWE Superstar Kane for mayor mostly because they got along with him on the set of See No Evil 2. But like… I’m not sure if that’s better.

They've signed on with Rippaverse, which is, from my understanding, a super right-wing Comicsgate-affiliated brand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kchama posted:

They've signed on with Rippaverse, which is, from my understanding, a super right-wing Comicsgate-affiliated brand.

It is. I was reminded above that Rippaverse founder Eric July is a "libertarian" commentator for Glenn Beck's network and thus gets to be The Good Minority for ComicsGate except EVS doesn't like him anymore?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It is. I was reminded above that Rippaverse founder Eric July is a "libertarian" commentator for Glenn Beck's network and thus gets to be The Good Minority for ComicsGate except EVS doesn't like him anymore?

I’m not still not 100% sure why. Like… they had some sort of a blowup offline that found its way online. Best I can tell, it has to do with July making fun of the International School of Ministry (who were mad about him calling his book “Isom.”), and EVS being offended by that on religious grounds. But that’s just what it seems like from a couple quick Twitter searches. There’s probably a two hour stream that goes into more detail. But I don’t wanna…

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Orlando MegaCon is a week and a half away, and even though I won't be able to attend this year, I keep checking the guest list to make sure none of my all-time favorite writers and artists have been added, so I feel less bad about not going.

So far, none of the creators I desperately want to meet are attending, but I did notice Eric July, Chuck Dixon, Mike Baron, and Jen and Sylvia Soska were all added within the past few days, and all will be at the Rippaverse booth.

EDIT: Maybe they can hang out with Gina Carano, Randy Quaid, and William Shatner there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 23, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess black widow no restraints play will have to be a problematic fav from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not Googling whatever that is.