Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Perhaps you can tell me what this is used for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

T-Square posted:

Would have paid money to have seen someone say this to my Grandpa who’s drink of choice was a Manhattan lol

Love when you go to a restaurant and their sidecars are the stubby Rhinelander bottles, that’s gonna be a good breakfast

Same. BUT I have an appointment this weekend for my Passport!

You need an appointment for a passport? I thought you just went to the post office. I actually need to get a passport for my kid since we're planning to go to Canada this summer.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Braksgirl posted:

It's for when you're out of Malort?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

You need an appointment for a passport? I thought you just went to the post office. I actually need to get a passport for my kid since we're planning to go to Canada this summer.

You may be able to do walkins but we made an appt to make sure we reserved time for three people (two renewals and the kiddos first application) because they had to take pictures and stuff too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you mail your passport photo and the required paperwork to the department of state it takes like 3 weeks to get a passport. If you pay an expediter service $200 or something you can get it in 36 hours. I have no idea what an appointment is for.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Braksgirl posted:

:drugnerd: probably

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you mail your passport photo and the required paperwork to the department of state it takes like 3 weeks to get a passport. If you pay an expediter service $200 or something you can get it in 36 hours. I have no idea what an appointment is for.

These dates absolutely do not lineup with my current reality wtf

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I live in LA, I'm 4x deep on renewals at this point. It's never taken more than 2 weeks after I filed my renewal to get the new book, but sometimes rock bands needs to leave tomorrow so there's services for that here.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 23, 2024

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's for when you're out of Malort?
I really don't understand why Malort gets the hate it does, it's not good but I tried it recently and it wasn't the worst thing I've ever had

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/channa-masala-recipe

Gonna try this recipe as my first attempt at curry this week. I'm gonna use store bought garam masala. Very excited to try my hand at this because I loooove Indian food but it's so pricey around here.

I have this one bookmarked! We had channa masala at one of the many events for the Indian wedding we went to last fall, and that recipe was a delicious re-creation of it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hm I’ve applied twice—once in 2006 and this last time. It didn’t cost anything to go by and I printed paperwork at home, filled it out, they went through it, took our pics, we paid the post office directly and I had the documents like 3-4wks later. It was painless, wide open and just down the street.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The dept of State seems to do a very good job of validating your bona fides, and it's a big LOL from me that a passport that will allow you to go to other countries isn't a sufficent & valid document at the DMV to establish your validity as a "REAL ID (tm) (R)" that you can't use to fly to other countries with. At least your Social Security Card you printed yourself is.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 23, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fifty Three posted:

I really don't understand why Malort gets the hate it does, it's not good but I tried it recently and it wasn't the worst thing I've ever had

What, pray tell - was? Grappa? Fernet Branca?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yeah, you definitely need an appointment and both parents present for kid's passport. Get the photos done beforehand at CVS or something. Wait times can vary but I'd get it done ASAP if you want to be sure to have it for the summer. We renewed ours last fall and the kiddos definitely took a couple weeks longer to show up.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Both of those are good though? Honestly some vodkas and tequilas are worse than Malort, if we're just talking shots. Rakia is pretty rough.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

Sleep chat

Disclaimer: talk to your pcp for insomnia and try to get a referral to a sleep certified doctor if it’s bad enough.

My first supervising physician was sleep medicine certified and I saw all of his patients after they established with him. I’ve treated a LOT of insomnia.

Insomnia is very common in men and women as they approach their late thirties/early forties. For men; this is generally an age of behavioral transition. This means that a lot of the things they have always done are starting to be more than they can compensate for. This isn’t just in sleep, as I’m sure all of us understand. We simply become much more sensitive to the things that can keep us awake.

BASICS

Generally speaking, the most important things for good sleep quality are

1. Minimize stimulants after 3 pm - we can’t consume caffeine (or alcohol but more on that later) like we could when we were younger. It just doesn’t clear like it used to. Also the effects of caffeine become less noticeable as we age, which leads to us needing more to get the same effect.

2. No screens 30-60 minutes prior to lying down for sleep. Light is very stimulating for the brain. It tells us to get up and go farm or whatever. We don’t want to lie down and wait to get to sleep. You should be ready to fall asleep when you lie down. Average time for sleep initiation is 4-6 minutes. If you’re lying in bed for 45 minutes, you were probably looking at your phone as you walked into the bedroom.

3. Exercise. Your body needs a reason to go to sleep.

4. Regular schedule/routine. Go to bed every night at the same time, wake up every day at the same time. People will bitch that they can’t sleep in anymore as they get older, but this is a good thing!

5. Cool, dark room. A cool dark room!

6. Minimize napping - daytime hypersomnia is often a symptom of sleep problems. Try to minimize napping if at all possible.

ANXIETY

do you wake up at 2-3am every single morning (on nights you haven’t drank) completely wide awake? Or do you lie in bed “unable to turn your brain off?” This is anxiety Every. Single. Time. You are either thinking of something that happened or something you’re going to have to do. Without going down a psych rabbit hole, there are a few easy ways to address this.

1. Journal before bed. This will help you organize your thoughts and plan your day. Journaling has been shown to help sleep quality and get people into deeper, more restorative sleep.

2. Pet a dog/cat. It releases serotonin which can help with sleep initiation.

3. Look at a fire. I’m serious. We spent two million years of evolution ending the day by looking at a fire. It calms us. I have no proof of this but I’ve recommended this several times and patients have said it works. Also if you want the best comedown from shrooms in your life, watch a fire and listen to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRTHbtlLFc

SUPPLEMENTS

As always talk to your pcp about starting supplements, because there are some things like St. John’s wort that can literally kill you if taken with other medications.

Melatonin: this is very mild stuff and comes in a million formulations. It’s over the counter. In my experience this isn’t very effective for people that aren’t elderly. It’s most useful for stabilizing sleep/wake cycle in patients in long term care settings. But go hog wild. Some people say this gives them vivid dreams, but I never really buy that. People that receive sleep treatment and report crazy dreams are usually just dreaming for the first time in god knows how long. You can’t overdose on this or anything. I don’t recommend it.

Unison: just melatonin and some other bullshit. It’s not very efficacious. I dont recommend it.

Gummies: I don’t have any clinical experience with this. Generally indica is considered more sedating. Indica = in da sheets, sativa = stimulating. Just know that THC is gabenergic, meaning it increases GABA.

GABA is the inhibitory neurotransmitter for glutamate, which is excitatory. As my GABA level increases from meds/alcohol whatever, my body increases glutamate because it doesn’t like that imbalance. As my GABA lvls return to normal, depending on how big a dose or how long I’ve been doing it, my glutamate lvls will lag behind.

In the short term, if something is wearing off at 3 in the morning, this will wake me up. Ever had a big night drinking and wake up at 2-3 in the morning, wide awake, sweating, heart beating? That’s elevated glutamate levels.

This is the same mechanism of action that causes alcohol withdrawl seizures. So ymmv. THC has been proven time and time again not to be addictive so go hog wild if you don’t have a history of psychosis. Be very careful where you get it from as there is very little quality control. Don’t buy drugs from the gas station.

NARCOTICS

I’m not going to go into them here because I don’t want anyone to think I’m giving out narcotic advice unsolicited. Generally, drugs like ambien or lunesta are very similar to benzos. For example 10 mg of ambien is essentially 1 mg of Xanax. You do not want to start taking these if you don’t have to. They should always be last line. These should not be prescribed for sleep or long term out of a PCP office. TCAs also go here. No goon is willing to give up smoked meats and cheeses.

DRUGS

Just a couple mild ones that are fine to get from your pcp if they think it’s appropriate.

Trazodone - very mild. Serotonergic. This will not make you tired. This med only helps with initiation. You have to take this and lie down and be ready for sleep. No one ever tells patients this (or knows) and they end up taking like 200 mg at 7 pm and not go to sleep at 10.

Gabapentin - Put it in the drinking water. Non habit forming. Easy up easy down. Effective at low doses. Lasts six hours. Good for anxiety, restlessness, people that toss and turn in their sleep. Does not interact with any other medication. No real contraindication unless you’re in kidney failure, and even then nephrology is getting overruled (they always do). Generic so it’s cheap as poo poo. If gabapentin was invented today it’d cost 1000 dollars a pill, just like aspirin. Occasionally someone will say it makes their feet swell.

DO NOT DO THIS

Drink Benadryl/Easy sleep/nyquil - addictive as poo poo. You don’t want to get addicted to these. Plus, antihistamine withdrawl can give you Parkinsonisms short to medium term.

Drink alcohol - if you’re drinking to go to sleep, we have a problem. If you’re waking up and have to drink to go to sleep, please DM me.

Smoke cigarettes - Jesus goddamn Christ

Not wear your CPAP - WEAR YOUR GODDAMN CPAP

do that weird thing where you only sleep 90 minutes at a time 4 times a day. We evolved to wake up with the sun, sleep with the moon. This is bullshit.

So yeah; that’s my posting between workout sets effort post. Sleep well goons! DM me with any questions.

And as always, ask your PCP before starting a medication/treatment regimen.

Sleep is good and this advice is good.

Been challenging consistently implementing this into my life.

I had a sleep mental therapist for a bit too. Some of those mindful recordings to focus thoughts can help, but it’s also kind of weird to listen too when I’m with my significant other.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been doing dry January - haven’t had a drink since the 1st. That’s probably the longest I’ve ever gone since I started drinking. Maybe when I had covid for so long but I can’t remember.

I have never slept better and it’s made me entirely rethink the way I drink. I’m not gonna go completely sober but I will absolutely be changing the frequency and amounts I drink when I do.

I’ve also lost like 10lbs which is nice

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fifty Three posted:

Both of those are good though? Honestly some vodkas and tequilas are worse than Malort, if we're just talking shots. Rakia is pretty rough.

These are the options the teenagers/winos that your girlfriend/wife's brothers and ex-boyfriends bring you in hopes you gag and they can be like "see??"

The trick is to skull it and then order food they prepared as "spicy spicy spicy spicy"

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Idk I filled out all the state dept forms and poo poo and it says DO NOT SIGN/COMPLETE THIS SECTION/DO THIS PART UNTIL YOU ARE WITH A STATE DEPT/USPS EMPLOYEE everywhere so

I’m sure I could also just walk in but I know which lady handles that poo poo and she’s saaasssyyyy. And USPS specifically says renewals just submit this form, new applications must make an appointment :shrug:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 23, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's really not that hard, but I appreciate the "Iowan follow directions" gene even if the directions are dumb. You could just wait in line for (I dont know Dubuque but I'm gonna guess: 11 minutes) any USPS employee, does not matter which one or how many convictions they've had: That's all it takes

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lmao we have assigned parking spots at my office for people who have been here 10+ years. You get your name on a little sign and everything saying it’s your spot.

For some reason people continue to park in spots that are not theirs.

My company’s idea to combat this is to start booting people that do it and make them pay a fine before they’ll take the boot off.

This whole thing is way funnier than it should be. We also have a problem with people eating other people’s lunches out of the fridge. I’m guessing the Venn diagram of people that park in other people spots and people who steal other people’s lunches is a circle.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Baby pelican cleaner

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ether Frenzy posted:

Beverly. If you know, you know.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

Beverly. If you know, you know.

I assume Pruno-ized Coca Cola is still better than corn mash left to rot in oak barrels and does not even have the 'iconic' black label bottles.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’ve been doing dry January - haven’t had a drink since the 1st. That’s probably the longest I’ve ever gone since I started drinking. Maybe when I had covid for so long but I can’t remember.

I have never slept better and it’s made me entirely rethink the way I drink. I’m not gonna go completely sober but I will absolutely be changing the frequency and amounts I drink when I do.

Yeah not drinking booze is nice.

I’ve been mainly booze free since a bit before Covid. I get fun-party-drunk maybe 1x-3x a year. Get a bit buzzed maybe 3-6x a year. Other than that it is maybe a glass of wine on fancy date nights.

It’s so much better for long term health.

The problem of course is that sobriety is boring as gently caress.

https://youtu.be/1Pini3MRjE0?si=oiHRJtp9m3Xq66PF

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also booze-free drinks are becoming popular around here and I’m glad the product exists for those who want it, but lol

I’m not drinking beer without alcohol lol. “Why yes I do want all the carbs of a loaf of bread in a disgusting liquid. What a deal!!!”

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's really not that hard, but I appreciate the "Iowan follow directions" gene even if the directions are dumb. You could just wait in line for (I dont know Dubuque but I'm gonna guess: 11 minutes) any USPS employee, does not matter which one or how many convictions they've had: That's all it takes

I’m not sure why you’re trying so hard to dunk on this but I’ve never had a passport before so I’ll just uh defer to what the thing tells me to do instead of take an internet stranger’s directions thanks

Also I don’t live in Dubuque or even Iowa but I get it I’m not a super star LA dude

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m not drinking beer without alcohol lol. “Why yes I do want all the carbs of a loaf of bread in a disgusting liquid. What a deal!!!”

Yeah I drink the gently caress out of seltzers and like cranberry w seltzer since I quit drinking but a decent NA beer does scratch that post-bike ride or football game beer itch pretty well. And it’s nice to just have one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

"I will curb my drinking by just getting really into making my own craft cocktails."

/spends a fortune on liquor
/drinks more

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

These are the options the teenagers/winos that your girlfriend/wife's brothers and ex-boyfriends bring you in hopes you gag and they can be like "see??"

The trick is to skull it and then order food they prepared as "spicy spicy spicy spicy"
I dunno what grappa you've had but I had it as a sort of dessert wine and it was great

This is probably a good time to mention that I usually can't taste bitter, like caffeine powder in water just tastes like water to me

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Grappa is paint thinner, when was the last time you heard about "fine grappa"?

Never? That matches with general media literacy in current times, but I'm sure I'm wrong. Old and all!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Stanley has pretzel day, we have vote for your favorite king cake day! Throw one of three babies in an orange cup and you’re done.

First time trying boudin king cake. It did not get a baby.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 23, 2024

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

That's...a lot of king cake.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

saintonan posted:

That's...a lot of king cake.

Gotta love vendors trying to sell us something.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Grappa is paint thinner, when was the last time you heard about "fine grappa"?

Never? That matches with general media literacy in current times, but I'm sure I'm wrong. Old and all!
Man, that just doesn't square with my experience at all. It was like brandy but a little more angry and with more grape-iness. :shrug:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've been doing the same - my resting heart rate Jan 1 was 64bpm. It's gotten down to 56bpm alongside me doing a workout program. I don't sleep 'more' but I'm having a lot more vivid dreams when I sleep, so my sleep quality is going up.

I've lost some weight too but it's a struggle for me since I have hypothyroidism and my latest bloodwork showed my TSH was high yet again so I had to get my doses upped.

It really annoys me how much alcohol is a focal point of social meetups. Even though everyone is like "oh that's cool" when I tell them I'm not drinking, I can't help but feel I'm missing out when I'm the lone person out not enjoying a drink.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you've lost ten pounds by not drinking for three weeks then
1. Good on ya
2. You were either drinking way too much or I have absolutely no concept of the caloric content of alcohol

Conversely, I have beer in the house for the first time in months (needed a can for some chili I made over the weekend).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I drink the gently caress out of seltzers and like cranberry w seltzer since I quit drinking but a decent NA beer does scratch that post-bike ride or football game beer itch pretty well. And it’s nice to just have one.

Comrade, extremely same. I drink many many fizzy waters like La Croix (and the Costco equivalent of course).

Love the fizz.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fifty Three posted:

Man, that just doesn't square with my experience at all. It was like brandy but a little more angry and with more grape-iness. :shrug:
GIven the variety of girls I've known named "Brandy" vs the zero girls I've known named Armagnac, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Steel. Reserve.

Or Svedka Diet Pepsi