Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I was cleaning out the storage room this weekend and getting rid of junk we didn't need. As I went through old paint cans we've kept from different projects, I found that a lot of the cans had rusted, and the paint was full of flakes of rust and not really usable. What's the best way to store paint long-term? Is it even viable to store paint long-term?

Keep the mating surfaces clean (lid and can) as in, remove ALL paint, to ensure a tight seal.

Consider decanting to a smaller can to limit the air proportion in the can.

Every year or so, it should be stirred thoroughly to keep the emulsion & solids in suspension. I use a drill with a paint stirrer.

I kept three gallons of MAB Sea Shore exterior latex house paint useable for nearly 20-years that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

PainterofCrap posted:

Keep the mating surfaces clean (lid and can) as in, remove ALL paint, to ensure a tight seal.

This would be my problem. I definitely haven't made sure all the crevices in the lid lip are devoid of paint before closing the can. Enough to close tightly, but there's definitely still paint in there. Lesson learned for the future.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Seconding keeping smaller cans to decant your leftovers into. We got left about 3/4 of a gallon in a 5 gallon bucket of the paint for the house from the painters (with a roller cover left in the bucket, lol) and I saved about 2 quarts in single quart cans and recycled the rest.

Other painting projects I usually keep a quart for a single room for any future touchups, and they're easy to keep organized on a shelf in the utility room.

I also have a couple cans with drywall hot mud mix in, both longer and shorter cure times, for the occasional quick patch. 1/2 cup of mix, water to the right consistency, and I can patch a couple drywall anchors holes or whatever and get it sanded and painted same day.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife is applying for a small business loan which is asking for a recent appraised value on our house as well as the date of said appraisal. I received a statement from the city Office of Property Assessment last fall which listed my (estimated?) property market value for this year. Do you reckon that's the number they want her to report?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

C-Euro posted:

Wife is applying for a small business loan which is asking for a recent appraised value on our house as well as the date of said appraisal. I received a statement from the city Office of Property Assessment last fall which listed my (estimated?) property market value for this year. Do you reckon that's the number they want her to report?

Ask them

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Or just give it to them if it's favorable. You're a lay person. Government tax doc is in your favor? Rely on it. "oh no! I had no idea!"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 23, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Am I understanding that you're using your personal housing as collateral on a business loan? That seems . . . unwise.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone bought a fridge lately?

Wife and I are looking at this LG

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-27-c...2706S/322038211

It's on sale for $1798 instore.

It checks all the boxes for things we are looking for in a new fridge. I know most if not all new fridges will have issues eventually, is it worth buying an extended warrenty for it?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Cyrano4747 posted:

Am I understanding that you're using your personal housing as collateral on a business loan? That seems . . . unwise.

Its SOP for an SBA loan, they’ll take file a deed of trust on your house if you have more than 25% equity.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mattfl posted:

Anyone bought a fridge lately?

Wife and I are looking at this LG

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-27-c...2706S/322038211

It's on sale for $1798 instore.

It checks all the boxes for things we are looking for in a new fridge. I know most if not all new fridges will have issues eventually, is it worth buying an extended warrenty for it?

We have a similar LG fridge (ours has two freezer drawers) for going on two years now with no issues. Seems like you can find horror stories on every manufacturer until you are up in the luxury brand range, so depending on price an extended warranty could be worth it?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

We have a similar LG fridge (ours has two freezer drawers) for going on two years now with no issues. Seems like you can find horror stories on every manufacturer until you are up in the luxury brand range, so depending on price an extended warranty could be worth it?

Looks like a 3 year protection plan is $185.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Our LG counter-depth french door is about 12 years old but is finally dying. I think it's just the freezer fan, which I can fix, but we're remodeling in two months so we're just going to order a Cafe fridge now and be very clear if it gets damaged during the work that it will need to be replaced on their dime.

When we first got it the design of the freezer fans was really dumb and we had to get like 2-3 replacements until LG finally redesigned it, then we went on a good like 6-7 year stretch of no issues. The compressor died out around 9 years but it had a 10 year warranty so it got swapped out for free. Also needed a software update because the tech said they had better logic for managing defrosting.

Overall was a solid fridge that did us good. Never had leaks from the water/ice or anything like that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Our LG side by side had its compressor die after 4.5 years. Warranty covered it, but getting the part took a month in the middle of summer and that sucked.

Reading around in my anger, everything short of a Sub Zero is crap in its own way.

Edit: a recent story on LG compressors: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/consumer/expensive-fridges-dying-fraud-claims/3428989/

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 23, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tumblr hype man posted:

Its SOP for an SBA loan, they’ll take file a deed of trust on your house if you have more than 25% equity.

What happens if you're one of the X% of small businesses that fail in the first N period :ohdear:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
After all the work I did keeping the water lines from freezing, my sump discharge line seems to have frozen. Made for an eventful night panicking, then cutting the discharge and taping a hose on.

Or it is clogged because it just discharges to the street but that seems too coincidental.

Also my sewer ejector pump is still running every five minutes at peak but gently caress it, I'll roll the dice on it for a couple months, I'm already too overwhelmed.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Hadlock posted:

What happens if you're one of the X% of small businesses that fail in the first N period :ohdear:

You’re on the hook to them for the money regardless of whether the business works or not. You also sign a personal guarantee (and a spousal consent if your spouse isn’t guaranteeing). There’s a whole workout process they’ll go through which could include forcing you to sell the house to pay them off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

My understanding is that they are confirming that her assets are low enough in value that her business counts as a small business, and that she/we aren't hiding a bunch of money in real estate (we aren't, unfortunately)

E: Oh wait I found the appraisal from when we first bought the place, that seems way better to use huh

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 23, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Our LG side by side had its compressor die after 4.5 years. Warranty covered it, but getting the part took a month in the middle of summer and that sucked.

Reading around in my anger, everything short of a Sub Zero is crap in its own way.

Edit: a recent story on LG compressors: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/consumer/expensive-fridges-dying-fraud-claims/3428989/

I think ours made it 2-3 years. I called them on a friday afternoon and someone was there at noon on saturday to repair it - it was their second of like 5 LG compressor replacements of the day. Third party warranty company. This was all normal/what they do.

So yes, the compressors are still terrible (I got the "updated" one, but they did not have the equipment to do the firmware update on the fridge and claimed "nobody does that").

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
When we bought our house we redid the floors and the kitchen. We went for all new kitchen appliances except the dishwasher because it seemed to work well enough. 3 years later we are running it when I notice water seeping out from under the island. I called a plumber to check it and he told me that the contractor did a "Mickey Mouse" when installing it because he had rigged it up with non-fitting parts. Also found out that the contractor should not have made the baseboard running under the island/cabinets one long piece because he will have to saw it off in order to remove the dishwasher to check to see what part failed.

I'm just going to hand wash dishes until President's Day sales come out and buy a new one then. I'll also have time to figure out the cleanest way to remove the baseboard so that I can reinstall it later sans the part over the dishwasher.

This seems to be an annual occurrence for us. Last January our washing machine broke a week before my wife was due so I had to buy a new one with my only criteria being has to be installed before she gives birth. Can't wait to find out what's breaking next. I got my money on our AC.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I don't think I've ever had a dishwasher work properly for more than a few months. My current one is unhooked and being used as a drying rack until I get around getting a replacement. I was hoping finally buying my own, new, meant I wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time, but I get the feeling now thats not the case.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think I've ever had a dishwasher work properly for more than a few months. My current one is unhooked and being used as a drying rack until I get around getting a replacement. I was hoping finally buying my own, new, meant I wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time, but I get the feeling now thats not the case.

Bosch. Go Bosch and never look back.

Though if you’re seriously breaking dishwashers consistently within a few months, then I’d start asking questions about how you’re using them (or your water/drain setups, etc). Even a piece of poo poo should make it more than a few months.

e:

I’m about two years into a LG fridge (replaced a piece of poo poo old Samsung that had taken too much abuse from previous owners) and LG washer and dryer (replaced a pair of discontinued Maytag units from 2007 which had also been abused). I like them so far. I don’t use any smart functions though, and deactivated them where possible. The downloadable functions/cycles are useless as a result, but I really don’t care.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 23, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Until this house I was renting and my appliances breaking was the norm because my landlords would only buy the shittiest possible appliances (and would take months to replace them when they broke), and this dishwasher wasn't working right since I moved in. I'm hoping its just bad luck and not something I'm doing, but it certainly could be?

When I moved in I cleaned this one out and the drain was full of broken glass so I definitely don't think the previous owner maintained it. Hopefully I can do better than that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Until this house I was renting and my appliances breaking was the norm because my landlords would only buy the shittiest possible appliances (and would take months to replace them when they broke), and this dishwasher wasn't working right since I moved in. I'm hoping its just bad luck and not something I'm doing, but it certainly could be?

When I moved in I cleaned this one out and the drain was full of broken glass so I definitely don't think the previous owner maintained it. Hopefully I can do better than that.

Ohhhh rental ones. Yeah, that changes it a bit. The cheapest of cheap purchased on sale or used, installed by someone who doesn’t care if they work, maintained by nobody, used by someone who already is planning to move out. That’s definitely different.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

This x1000. I was skeptical of the hype but my Bosch is :yum:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Anyone have strong feelings on garbage disposal brands/models? Looks like mine is likely going to need replacement (leaking from within the housing, yay!)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

Sundae posted:

Johnny Truant posted:

This x1000. I was skeptical of the hype but my Bosch is :yum:
It's hard for me to overstate the pain of spending 2/3 Bosch money on a kitchenaid that in the end is just a poo poo whilrpool that needed a motor replacement after 5 years and only really works well on the hours-long "tough" cycle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And to be clear to all reading, we're not saying buy Bosch appliances. This is very specifically a dishwasher thing.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I thought they were essentially all the same unless you're buying some legit commercial stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

phosdex posted:

I thought they were essentially all the same unless you're buying some legit commercial stuff.

They are in fact very much not, and commercial dishwashers have no place in a home for various reasons. This also applies to commercial appliances in general. Examples: commercial dishwashers require a steam hood or your residential kitchen will be destroyed quickly. Commercial refrigeration has absolutely no design criteria for noise or power usage so your commercial reach in cooler will cost you $250 a month in power and require you to shout at your kitchen table.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Y'all convinced me to get a Bosch (dishwasher), so good job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

stealie72 posted:

It's hard for me to overstate the pain of spending 2/3 Bosch money on a kitchenaid that in the end is just a poo poo whilrpool that needed a motor replacement after 5 years and only really works well on the hours-long "tough" cycle.

Holy gently caress the level of hate I have for Kitchenaid dishwashers is unreal. Our house came with one that wasn't more than a year old. Nothing actually ever broke on it but it could not clean dishes at all. It also had only a single weedy little LED at the bottom to light up when a wash was done, but was so quiet you couldn't tell if it was actually mid-cycle or not - which meant it got opened mid-cycle way more often than it should have been. Oh and the membrane buttons on the top control were loving garbage.

I ended up going with an LG since it came out significantly cheaper than an equivalent Bosch and it would show up in two days instead of "maybe two months". Been absolutely thrilled with it.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

GlyphGryph posted:

Y'all convinced me to get a Bosch (dishwasher), so good job.

To pile on, I bought a Bosch dishwasher a few years ago and it could clean just about everything perfectly while running silently. I can't personally speak to reliability as we sold and moved out. My current house came with a brand new mid-range GE (a highly rated model). Cleaning potential is far worse and dishes with unrinsed food would almost assuredly come out dirty, as opposed to the Bosch. Silverware in particular suffers, likely due to placement of the basket and overall design. The basket can be moved, but that would significantly reduce the available space in the lower rack.

I'm not sure what to say other than that the Bosch clearly outperformed the other two dishwashers I've owned, by a very wide margin. I'm not typically a staunch brand loyalist, as quality often varies year to year within brands, but when I renovate my kitchen later this year it'll have a Bosch dishwasher.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah mine had a Kitchenaid that was like 10 years old. It died and when I looked into fixing it, the parts were Whirlpool but the costs were pretty high. Just bought an lg.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

phosdex posted:

So, to be fair / bias-alert / whatever, I went from rental poo poo to cheap-rear end condo poo poo that got abused to death by previous owners, to needing a dishwasher. Based on thread feedback, I bought a Bosch 500-series dishwasher. It is the single best appliance I have ever owned. I'm a year into ownership of it now (not long, I know) with every single cycle going beautifully, lower energy usage, I can hear things since it's whisper-quiet, lower water usage, and an actual, useful/customizeable layout. It also doesn't melt your plastic poo poo either. It *does* take a long time to do a load, but that's partially a product of the low water usage. Another big positive to it is how easily you can access the various screens and filters in it, so the general clean-up maintenance you have to do anyway is pretty easy. My only complaint was that the hoses were too short for my kitchen layout, so I had to rig up new ones. No big deal there, though.

As far as noise goes, I went from being unable to hear anything in the open kitchen/living room area (you couldn't watch a TV or have a conversation while the dishwasher was running) to, until I got used to it, having to mute the TV or ask people to stop talking for a second to make sure I'd started the dishwasher correctly. It's so quiet.

For all I know, the other types of washers in between "cheap-rear end garbage" and "amazing" could be pretty good too, but I can't vouch for them because I've never experienced it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ll say our Bosch 500 doesn’t feel as nice as the all metal fancy kitchenaid my in laws got when they did a kitchen remodel, but it’s run reliably and super quietly for a year+ now.

Water bill came in 12000 more gallons used than usual. Drip pan on the water heater is full up. Going to look into a drip detector going forward to get ahead of this faster.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Water bill came in 12000 more gallons used than usual. Drip pan on the water heater is full up. Going to look into a drip detector going forward to get ahead of this faster.

Is this monthly billing? Quarterly? 12,000 gallons is four full months of water for me (~100 gallons per day), and we don't exactly skimp on showers or clothes-washing here. That sounds like more than a drip leak.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

Is this monthly billing? Quarterly? 12,000 gallons is four full months of water for me (~100 gallons per day), and we don't exactly skimp on showers or clothes-washing here. That sounds like more than a drip leak.

Monthly. We’ve always had pretty high water usage (~300gpd), so I’m going to look into toilet seals as well. The heater is in the attic and has a direct drain line to the outside, so it could have steadily been draining for weeks.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Did a suspicious mud pit appear in your yard? Unexpected new swimming pool in the basement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Our 2 person household uses 100-200 per day and I take gluttonous showers.