Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't say TotK has no exploration, I said BotW is more focused on exploration. And I don't think TotK's is more fun just because you can move around faster, fly, skydive from above, it makes the act of going from point A to point B quicker but it takes away from the atmospheric quality and pacing that roaming the world had in BotW

See the thing is TotK suffers from this on an initial playthrough. They added little new features everywhere but you lose the wonder of stuff like "Is that a dragon in the sky?" "Wait, there's a jungle in this game?" if you played BotW.

botw is not more focused on exploration. it has less to explore, less to find, less tools to explore with, and the durability system w/o the fusing system penalises things like getting into random fights far more. totk outdoes it entirely actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
and yes it is more fun to build a little truck out of wood and drive it through a forest and ram into a hinox. youre delusional

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't say TotK has no exploration, I said BotW is more focused on exploration. And I don't think TotK's is more fun just because you can move around faster, fly, skydive from above, it makes the act of going from point A to point B quicker but it takes away from the atmospheric quality and pacing that roaming the world had in BotW

See the thing is TotK suffers from this on an initial playthrough. They added little new features everywhere but you lose the wonder of stuff like "Is that a dragon in the sky?" "Wait, there's a jungle in this game?" if you played BotW.

totk just straight-up has more to find though, in addition to giving you better tools to find it

like, i agree that the 'wow' factor is not really there in totk like it was in botw, but again, that stuff only works once. aside from that, i can't really name anything in botw i liked more. i guess eventide was more fun in botw?

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 23, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
TotKs major failing is the lack of cool new clothes. Most of the stuff is just from BotW and amiibo stuff

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

TotKs major failing is the lack of cool new clothes. Most of the stuff is just from BotW and amiibo stuff

this i can agree with

especially when some of the rewards for fairly tough challenges are pieces of armor that are just not good at all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Princess Peach Showtime trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJIpCAkc-0

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

totk just straight-up has more to find though, in addition to giving you better tools to find it

"More stuff" doesn't always equate to a better experience though. Like one of the initial things people praised BotW for was that it was so much LESS cluttered than the Ubisoft open world model. I don't think I'm articulating what I mean particularly well, but BotW is a calmer, more focused experience that I found a lot more enjoyable overall than TotK's busier systems.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Stux posted:

hes a kid

I always thought BotW/TotK Link was like 18-22 or so.

Twilight Princess he's definitely an adult - he straight up works on the ranch in a partnership with the dude who owns it.

OoT he's a kid but gets aged up, which is pretty messed up if you think about it for more than a second.

Wind Waker he's... maybe a kid? The game starts with his "coming of age" and being given the Hero's clothes, but how old that is exactly is unclear.

A Link to the Past he's a kid.

Link's Awakening I always assumed he was an adult, since it takes place after LttP, and in the beginning cutscene he looks like an adult.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
botw was worse on that as well bcos totk made korok seeds significantly more fun overall while botw was full of far more dogshit ones

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Annath posted:

I always thought BotW/TotK Link was like 18-22 or so.

Twilight Princess he's definitely an adult - he straight up works on the ranch in a partnership with the dude who owns it.

OoT he's a kid but gets aged up, which is pretty messed up if you think about it for more than a second.

Wind Waker he's... maybe a kid? The game starts with his "coming of age" and being given the Hero's clothes, but how old that is exactly is unclear.

A Link to the Past he's a kid.

Link's Awakening I always assumed he was an adult, since it takes place after LttP, and in the beginning cutscene he looks like an adult.

hes 17

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Stux posted:

hes 17

You clearly don't watch enough anime because you didn't see the loophole.

He's ONE HUNDRED and seventeen.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

botw was worse on that as well bcos totk made korok seeds significantly more fun overall while botw was full of far more dogshit ones

I can't really relate to this kind of argument because I like both games and think they offer different things, I just prefer one. I'm not trying to do some console war thing where I pretend one game is garbage so people like my favorite game

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tender Bender posted:

"More stuff" doesn't always equate to a better experience though. Like one of the initial things people praised BotW for was that it was so much LESS cluttered than the Ubisoft open world model. I don't think I'm articulating what I mean particularly well, but BotW is a calmer, more focused experience that I found a lot more enjoyable overall than TotK's busier systems.

the problem with ubisoft games is not so much how much there is, it's that none of it is fun at all

coming up with totally bullshit ways to help an idiot put signs up is a thousand times more fun that ubisoft's poo poo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the problem with ubisoft games is not so much how much there is, it's that none of it is fun at all

coming up with totally bullshit ways to help an idiot put signs up is a thousand times more fun that ubisoft's poo poo

Well yeah TotK is far above Ubisoft games. I just mean at the scale BotW was already on, a huge 100-200 hour open world, "more" isn't a strictly better thing.

One thing that I think BotW has over TotK, that I know is a personal subjective thing, is that I never once felt the need to look something up. In a huge open world game it was nuts to go in blind, figure it out as I went, and more importantly feel the game was built and tutorialized well enough that I wasn't missing anything significant; that everything I needed to know, I'd learn through trial and error or experimentation. TotK has enough systems and complexity that I didn't get that feeling, and I did need to look stuff up, "am I supposed to be locked out of this place or am I just missing something", etc.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Larryb posted:

It looks fun but I hope all the costumes stay useful throughout a stage rather than being used in like one vignette. Like it would be easy to have Patissiere Peach bake one cake once and not do anything again you know.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pigma_Micron posted:

You clearly don't watch enough anime because you didn't see the loophole.

He's ONE HUNDRED and seventeen.

what anime are you watching?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

I can't really relate to this kind of argument because I like both games and think they offer different things, I just prefer one. I'm not trying to do some console war thing where I pretend one game is garbage so people like my favorite game

i didnt say botw is garbage, i just said it had more boring korok seeds. totk has them too but theyre less prevelant or at least feel like it because of all the transportation ones being the most visible type. at a certain point in botw i had enough slots and i mostly ignored stuff like, theres a boulder with a chain and a cup. theres a circle of stones missing a stone etc. totk i didnt really ever stop doing them bcos the most visible ones were building a vehicle of some sort and sticking them to it. making a little rocket and strapping a korok to it and seeing if you can get it to land near its friend is inherently more fun than the vast majority of botw koroks. thus.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It looks fun but I hope all the costumes stay useful throughout a stage rather than being used in like one vignette. Like it would be easy to have Patissiere Peach bake one cake once and not do anything again you know.

balan wonderworld starring princess peach

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Remember when multiple Horizon devs talked about how Ableist Elden Ring was for not having the protag point out everything you see + no quest log etc. lol.

may i see it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Larryb posted:

This looks pretty rad, I can't decide which costume is the coolest

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Link is definitely in his twenties in ToTK since Hudson’s daughter is old enough to start school.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

i didnt say botw is garbage, i just said it had more boring korok seeds. totk has them too but theyre less prevelant or at least feel like it because of all the transportation ones being the most visible type. at a certain point in botw i had enough slots and i mostly ignored stuff like, theres a boulder with a chain and a cup. theres a circle of stones missing a stone etc. totk i didnt really ever stop doing them bcos the most visible ones were building a vehicle of some sort and sticking them to it. making a little rocket and strapping a korok to it and seeing if you can get it to land near its friend is inherently more fun than the vast majority of botw koroks. thus.

I actually found those fun at first but then really tedious and started skipping them. It takes longer to strap together a little vehicle and then run/drive/fly to the smoke signal, than it does to just move a rock. For most of the BotW ones the main thing you're doing is noticing something out of place in the environment and doing a quick little action to get a little prize, for the "I need to find my friend!" guys you just get assigned a chore.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

I actually found those fun at first but then really tedious and started skipping them. It takes longer to strap together a little vehicle and then run/drive/fly to the smoke signal, than it does to just move a rock. For most of the BotW ones the main thing you're doing is noticing something out of place in the environment and doing a quick little action to get a little prize, for the "I need to find my friend!" guys you just get assigned a chore.

no lifting up a rock or putting a boulder in a hole is a chore. messing around w the construction to make some stupid vehicle to launch a korok over a river or w/e is gameplay involving a system that lets you mess around and play. this is like saying that making a sandcastle is a chore and emptying the trash is better because it doesnt take as long.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i would legit do the korok transportations with no reward and i did bcos you dont really need a ton of slots especially w the fusing stuff letting you carry tons of "swords" etc in your normal inventory. its fun to mess around with stuff. there was no reason for me to do this either but i spent tons of time making stuff like this to clear out camps instead of just hitting things with my sword because it was fun to do.

https://i.imgur.com/jjvEYxZ.mp4
but sure if you measure gameplay by efficiency and minimising how much time you spend messing around then it was way better lifting up a rock or w/e

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i did botw on regular and master mode and was pretty excited for totk but also found sticking things together tedious and quit playing it pretty early on. i keep saying i'll go back to it but it's probably never going to happen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

More stuff doesn't inherently mean it but if done well it is absolutely a plus. There's a reason something like Forespoken got raked over the coals for having a huge world to explore with nothing in it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

no lifting up a rock or putting a boulder in a hole is a chore. messing around w the construction to make some stupid vehicle to launch a korok over a river or w/e is gameplay involving a system that lets you mess around and play. this is like saying that making a sandcastle is a chore and emptying the trash is better because it doesnt take as long.

Stux posted:

i would legit do the korok transportations with no reward and i did bcos you dont really need a ton of slots especially w the fusing stuff letting you carry tons of "swords" etc in your normal inventory. its fun to mess around with stuff. there was no reason for me to do this either but i spent tons of time making stuff like this to clear out camps instead of just hitting things with my sword because it was fun to do.

https://i.imgur.com/jjvEYxZ.mp4
but sure if you measure gameplay by efficiency and minimising how much time you spend messing around then it was way better lifting up a rock or w/e

You're right if you just pretend I said something completely different then your thing is way better, I'll just let you continue this conversation with yourself

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Totk rules botw rules

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it'll be funny if they use the same map again next time and just tack more wild poo poo to it. Maybe space or something?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

it'll be funny if they use the same map again next time and just tack more wild poo poo to it. Maybe space or something?

personally, i don't want another game in the same vein, new map or otherwise. they took the series in a rad new direction with botw and then perfected it with totk. i want the next game to be another departure.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Zeldavania

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

You're right if you just pretend I said something completely different then your thing is way better, I'll just let you continue this conversation with yourself

its literally exactly what you said

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux posted:

hes a kid

He's a squid now

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He's a squid now

Gah!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

So gerudo genes are just extremely strong so their kids come out as female gerudo except on the very rare occasion a dude is born and then they become the evil king? or are there a bunch of dudes who have gerudo mums but they weren't evil or female so they live elsewhere

idk sounds like weird genes man.

From memory, several women in the city talk about their male SOs living somewhere else, becasue Gerudo-society is apparently gender segregated. Me, not knowing any kind of Zelda-lore that's not in Zelda III or IV, the only other Zelda-games I've played: "Ah, logically that means there are lots of male Gerudo, we just don't see them 'cause they live elsewhere."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Libluini posted:

Zelda III or IV

why would you do this

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Zelda IV Links Awakening or Ocarina?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

personally, i don't want another game in the same vein, new map or otherwise. they took the series in a rad new direction with botw and then perfected it with totk. i want the next game to be another departure.

hopefully! those games are eating my time like candy

if the next Zelda-game is a wild departure from this mold, there's a good chance I won't be interested, saving me tons of money and effort

like, I'm sure people would like a new Skyward Sword, but me? nah, thanks I'm good

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

why would you do this

it's what we kids called it back in the day, and now this is forever burned into my brain

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i dont think skyward sword is what anyone on earth is thinking of when thhey say they want zelda ot keep changing as it always has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Libluini posted:

I'm sure people would like a new Skyward Sword

no